• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Is It Is Right To Make Films On Guru's Ji Life?

Jasmeet kaur

SPNer
Jun 16, 2006
WJKK WJKF,
I want to ask something from all of you.
Is it is right to make films on guru's life?
In guru's ji time anybody say wrong about guru's ji then guru's ji sikh got annoyed.Now in that films fake character of eg. Aurangjeb n other soldiers says guruji's {censored} and much of just like things.And now how can guruji's sikh listen that word.

bhul chuk maaf!
Das

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Dear Jasmeet Kaur Ji

Interesting Issue !

Now it is kind of general understanding among sikhs that they dont want anybody to play the character of guru in a play, Film , So No film , serial about their life has been produced till now in which their character has been played by somebody . Just like RAMAYAN , MAHABHARAT Etc

Well I dont have the answer whether it should be allowed or not but still I know doing this will hurt people feelings and may create a scene .

But I have seen alternate method being applied many times while I was child and living in India . On Jhalandfar Doordarshan Channel their used to be plays in which the stries about gurus were told and played by character surrounding the particular events like for telling story of Two Younger Sahibzadas Martyrdom charaters like Mughal Soldier , Moti Mehara Ji , Gangu ,and his wife , all these character narates the story and actually you can get the basic point of the sakhi

Similarly now Animation has been used for the same reason.

Would like to hear what others think about it.

Jatinder Singh

Jul 30, 2004
world
Gurfateh

Unlike Islam and more like christianlty we can draw picture of Gurus but are not to worship them.

Then we can make aninmated flims with Gurus been shown.

Anyway As Khalsa is told to be form of Guru so acting Guru by Sikhs can be a good thing but in India we know that Arun Govil became real like Lord Rama so it may became say if Kala Afghana Ji act like Guru then people may try yo worship him.So it is risky but on ly if we have storng Islamic influnce then only wornmg.

vipjas_27

SPNer
Jun 1, 2006
waheguru ji ka khalsa wahegur ji ke fateh

I am sory to say but may i ask vijaydeep ji , what makes you point about KALA afghana ji like this in your reply.
again sorry but not so clear about your point of view.
respect
vipjas

Jasmeet kaur

SPNer
Jun 16, 2006
Thank you for reply my post!

But i also dont understand what you are trying to say n i ask you one question why are you putting JI's on Kala Afgana?

Nobody has right to become the character of GURU'S JI, SAHEBJADE and MATA GUJRI JI.
If we dont take important step to stop making n viewing films on guruji's life then some day will come when people make guruji's n saheed in reality character like hindu's god make fake character n people to perform to become gods on films n reality.

BHUL CHUK MAAF!

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Dear Jasmeet Kaur ji

Thanks for your reply

But I could not fully understand your statement . Can you elaborate further

If we dont take important step to stop making n viewing films on guruji's life

oes any film like this exist already and and if NOT then what you are advising not to watch .

Jatinder Singh

Jul 30, 2004
world
Gurfateh

Well respected Vipjas Ji,

For das who actualy behold Panth as Guru also and has sense of worship of for Gursikhs also.

So even ds may disagree to Bhai Sahib Randheeer Singh Ji on say Ragmala or meat issue and Das may disagree to Sirdar Gurbax Singh Ji Kala Afghana Ji on issue of Dasham Granth/Sant or AKj Mahapursh bashing, yet

For das as they are Sikh and devoted and commited to thier cause with cler intentions so for Das they are form of Guru(Khalsa as form of Guru).Kindly do not take it as joke but realy das has great respect to Gursikhs who have attributes of Guru like sacrifisng slef esteem for the benefit of Panth.

Das bow to feet of Kala Afghana Sahib but das just wanted to say that enlighetened person like him if at all say act like Guru,people may start personal worship to himself ,while what das understod as per Gurmat even personal worship of Gurus is not OK.

But as Bro DRkhalsa talks about Turbned Hindus among us,as per thier hypocracy we can expect that they can misuse the name of S Gurbax Singh Ji Kala Afghan's name just for reasons,he spent all his life to fight with.Ds just used him to show irony and s he is the symbol of reform for the Panth for das,inspite of idelogical differnaces.But people can fail his cause is say we take some risk to say copy Hindus by intiaing Ramyana.
Forgive Ds again for misunderstadning,for Das Sirdar Sahib are symbol to strugle against Anti Gurmat things so no other name came to his mind when we had to talk about great reformer of present time.

vipjas_27

SPNer
Jun 1, 2006
respected friends,
waheguruji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh,

one more thing which i understands can have a bad effect if we depict guru ji in films, as there is no full proof sure sakhis of guru ji,s and all the events during the guru's time have reached us through our ancestors, but not sure about them. and there are so many things which we have heard leads us to karam kand, and people who will be making films or documentaries are not supposed to be always right i mean they can also make mistakes which can lead to confusions in sikh community. there are so many sakhis which are imaginations of people and this can not depict the true guru's. so this can effect the image of sikhism.
' i hope i make sense.
thanks
bhul chuk maaf
vipjas

agape

SPNer
Jun 7, 2005
earth
there must be a way to translate these important sakhi's for the universal market
at present we are holding a universal way of life restricting it to what one or two people may feel
what these one or two people may feel is not as important as getting this universal messages out

films transcend time and space - helps get the message to people who normally would be exposed to this reality
it can't and shouldn't be held back by people's fears our guru is nirpau nirver - so where does these fear stem from
if someone makes a story/film/documentary forgive them - and lets together do better next time

but lets not stop trying just in case we mess it up

bul chuk maff

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
at present we are holding a universal way of life restricting it to what one or two people may feel
what these one or two people may feel is not as important as getting this universal messages out

Above comments are worth pondering on

thanks for that

Jatinder Singh

max314

SPNer
May 28, 2006
Jasmeet kaur said:
WJKK WJKF,
I want to ask something from all of you.
Is it is right to make films on guru's life?
In guru's ji time anybody say wrong about guru's ji then guru's ji sikh got annoyed.Now in that films fake character of eg. Aurangjeb n other soldiers says guruji's {censored} and much of just like things.And now how can guruji's sikh listen that word.

bhul chuk maaf!
Das

I don't understand what you're trying to say here? I'm sure it's just me, but would you mind clarifying this?

On a general note, however, I do think that making filmic representations on the lives of the Gurus is awesome stuff. Long overdue, as well :wink:

Jasmeet kaur said:
Nobody has right to become the character of GURU'S JI, SAHEBJADE and MATA GUJRI JI.

Why? They were in the form of human beings, were they not? Guru Gobind Singh Ji lent his form to humanity, did he not? Every time a Khalsa dresses up, he is dressing in the image of Guru Gobind Singh Ji.

The actor does not 'become' the Guru. Like a painting or a drawing, the actor's form is merely an image being used to represent the Guru without actually being him. An image that the Gurus gave as their gift to humanity.

Whether on a piece of paper or on a stretch of film, the canvas may change, but the expression of human beings does not.

And that's what these films are. A passionate expression from a particular group of people.

Last edited:

Jasmeet kaur

SPNer
Jun 16, 2006
max314 said:
They were in the form of human beings, were they not? Guru Gobind Singh Ji lent his form to humanity, did he not? Every time a Khalsa dresses up, he is dressing in the image of Guru Gobind Singh Ji..

WJKK WJKF,
Nobody can make the even the shadow of guruji or other persons such as sahebjade,mata gujri ji,baba deep singh ji and many oher sikhs in guruji's time .Nobody exists in this world who can claim to perform the character of there.If anybody do this then he is dhongi.
If any person is much attached to guruji then there is no point that he will perform.
Guruji said "khalsa mera roop hai khaas".it does not mean that any body will perform the character of guruji.

BHUL CHUK MAAF!

max314

SPNer
May 28, 2006
Jasmeet kaur said:
WJKK WJKF,
Nobody can make the even the shadow of guruji or other persons such as sahebjade,mata gujri ji,baba deep singh ji and many oher sikhs in guruji's time .Nobody exists in this world who can claim to perform the character of there.If anybody do this then he is dhongi.
If any person is much attached to guruji then there is no point that he will perform.
Guruji said "khalsa mera roop hai khaas".it does not mean that any body will perform the character of guruji.

BHUL CHUK MAAF!

The men and women of Sikkh history were great men and women. There have been other great men and women who have lived in the past and they have been honoured with sensitive artistic treatments of their lives.

That's not to say that the actors themselves are ever as 'great' or 'accomplished' as these people. No. It is the director along with the actor and all the other cinematic artists involved who seek to create a representation that communicate the story of these great people with some emotional resonance.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM