• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Is It Better To Just Insulate Yourself In Your Own World?

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
Hmm I have no axe to grind.
..I accept ! but because post 31 was loaded, I expressed it as such.
My original post was not so related to what this thread has evolved into
..do you always carry an umbrella ?
I have enjoyed the critical discussions which have prompted me to reflect on my beliefs, and see them more from a Sikhi perspective.
..that's because coming to SPN wasn't your choice alone ! so much so, the baggage [good baggage] you're carrying can only be unloaded amongst likeminded people [sat sangat]. External situations n circumstances together with life's trials n tribulations have brought you here for a very good reason; to move closer to the ultimate reality. That's how Waheguru works - call it evolution if you like !
As I indicated in my previous post - Sikhism promotes being active in one's community.
..that's a human trait and not a doctrine ! Atheists also contribute, don't they ?
Sikhism cannot be completely separated from social, economical, and political calamities - not at all.
..question ? what is the primary function of Sikhism, for isn't the provisions of social, economical and political facets the remit of a Government ?
Why did the Gurus set up langar? Why did they stand against sati? Why did Guru Har Gobind go into battle? Why did Guru Tegh Bahadur sacrifice himself to protect Hindus?
...were the gurus the first humans to do all of the above or would you say human history is full of such altruistic endeavours and sacrifices ?
The Gurus did not move away from the social, economical, and political calamities around them
..do you think they could've moved away if they had the opportunity to do so ? No ! you know why ? because their righteous minds wouldn't have allowed them to do so. Righteous mind is "God" [SGGSJ, 441] all humans are expected to uphold morality, meaning, you don't have to be a Sikh to be a good human.
They directly injected themselves into the social, economical, and political calamities around them!
..leadership, leader of the pack is an evolutionary trait for survival sake ! just imagine for a moment if Nanak hadn't come on to the scene what the Islamite's would've done to the Indians ? They would've been mullered. Forget about Sikhism, Hinduism would've been a thing of the past. Classic examples, are places like Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines , etc. So yes, there was the "need" for a leader ! And it happen to be our Gurus !
This is a huge tenant of Sikhism! Miri Piri - balancing spiritual and temporal lives.
..correct !
Perhaps our apparent "disagreements" are simply misunderstandings! This quote of yours puts us on the same page!
..lol..better versed today than I was yesterday, shall we say ! I didn't come to SPN to argue, alas no ! I saw the sign Sikh and checked-in. I'm still waiting for the real deal because spiritual Sikh is cut from a different cloth and the spiritual Nanak is the real deal. All else is airy fairy.

As regards your original post, I put it to you my dear, that it is a prerogative and privilege of us humans to quest for a meaning to our life and to question whether such a meaning exists at all. It is to this end, Nanak's Sikhism was founded and rises to meet the challenge head on, thus:

॥ ਭਈ ਪਰਾਪਤਿ ਮਾਨੁਖ ਦੇਹੁਰੀਆ ॥ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਮਿਲਣ ਕੀ ਇਹ ਤੇਰੀ ਬਰੀਆ ॥ ਅਵਰਿ ਕਾਜ ਤੇਰੈ ਕਿਤੈ ਨ ਕਾਮ ॥ ਮਿਲੁ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਤਿ ਭਜੁ ਕੇਵਲ ਨਾਮ ॥੧॥ SGGSJ, 12
Translation: ..hey RD1, human birth is to meet the Lord, all else is neither here nor there, go therefore, congregate with the lovers of truth [satnam].

Remain, connected to "shabad guru" all else will pan out beautifully !

Take care - goodnight

PS - I tend to thought provoke to search for the ultimate reality. How ? by distilling the essential elements of our everyday beliefs.

RD1

Writer
SPNer
Sep 25, 2016
..I accept ! but because post 31 was loaded, I expressed it as such.

hmm not sure what that means

..that's a human trait and not a doctrine ! Atheists also contribute, don't they ?

Anyone can contribute, including Sikhs.

..question ? what is the primary function of Sikhism, for isn't the provisions of social, economical and political facets the remit of a Government ?

Absolutely not. I have already clearly explained why I feel Sikhs are to be engaged in the social/political/economic aspects of life, and how our own Gurus were excellent examples of such.

Is the Government always just? Has Indian government cared about the social/political/economic impacts on Sikhs? In the west, did racialized people always have equal rights? Were women always able to vote? Did child labour laws always exist? No. People, Sikhs and non-Sikhs, had to come together to fight for these rights from the government. Just like our Gurus fought the Mughal dictators at that time.

...were the gurus the first humans to do all of the above or would you say human history is full of such altruistic endeavours and sacrifices ?

What does it matter if the Gurus were first? There are plenty of great people out there. Our Gurus asked us to stand against social injustice, as I have explained. Therefore, if the founders of our religion do this, then as followers, we take their example.

you don't have to be a Sikh to be a good human

Who argued otherwise?

all humans are expected to uphold morality, meaning, you don't have to be a Sikh to be a good human.

Also, all humans have an "option" to uphold morality. For Sikhs is a "duty" the Gurus gave us.

As regards your original post, I put it to you my dear, that it is a prerogative and privilege of us humans to quest for a meaning to our life and to question whether such a meaning exists at all. It is to this end, Nanak's Sikhism was founded and rises to meet the challenge head on, thus:

॥ ਭਈ ਪਰਾਪਤਿ ਮਾਨੁਖ ਦੇਹੁਰੀਆ ॥ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਮਿਲਣ ਕੀ ਇਹ ਤੇਰੀ ਬਰੀਆ ॥ ਅਵਰਿ ਕਾਜ ਤੇਰੈ ਕਿਤੈ ਨ ਕਾਮ ॥ ਮਿਲੁ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਤਿ ਭਜੁ ਕੇਵਲ ਨਾਮ ॥੧॥ SGGSJ, 12
Translation: ..hey RD1, human birth is to meet the Lord, all else is neither here nor there, go therefore, congregate with the lovers of truth [satnam].

Remain, connected to "shabad guru" all else will pan out beautifully !

Agreed. Love the One. Love the One in all.

Pathfinder

Writer
SPNer
Sep 5, 2016
As human beings, we are in a unique position to "understand" the creator and creation. We have the capacity to understand the subtle laws that govern the world. With this knowledge, we make choices that will lead towards a better world view and the world in general, be more harmonious and happy and that today is the result of our yesterdays

From the little that I have observed and concluded to myself is this -animals live far more perfectly in compliance with the Hukam than we humans do. Our ego may lead us to believe that we are superior and that we are more evolved or whatsoever. But truth as I see it is very different, the opposite in fact, as I perceive.

Animals live and simply play their role to perfection. Animals as individuals combine their physical species nature with their mental and spiritual qualities to uniquely express themselves and their purposes in this universe, in the Hukam.

Animals, plants, rocks and other non-human forms are the spiritual guardians or keepers of Hukam on the planet. They never lose their awareness of themselves, of the Hukam - and their innate connection to all of Life. Of all species, humans appear to need the most education to master their existence.

Humans, unlike animals, struggle with their analytical complexity and choice to feel either connected to or separate from the whole, to acknowledge themselves as spiritual beings or feel finite and alienated in the material world.

We - the misplaced, sorry, egoistic superior species - are inculcated with the separation of existence through logic, analysis and scientific rationality. We urgently, desperately and in abundance need the reconnection to animals, plants and the earth more than ever, before we destroy ourselves and our (more of theirs than ours actually) world.

The animals and other non-human beings can teach us who we really are, since most of them always know and never choose to disconnect from that awareness of the Hukam. Humans need animals, non living entities as we classify most things and all other life forms on levels invariably lower than us - on a spiritual plane. Wheras, truth is that all the other beings on this earth, by their presence, their honest communication, their wholeness, can, if we are thankful, gracious enough to accept wholeheartedly and receptive to their help - they can lead us wayward human clan back home, back in Hukam.

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
Absolutely not. I have already clearly explained why I feel Sikhs are to be engaged in the social/political/economic aspects of life, and how our own Gurus were excellent examples of such.
..let me put it another way, is Sikh a religion or a form of Government ? And, if a religion then what by definition is a religion ?
Is the Government always just? Has Indian government cared about the social/political/economic impacts on Sikhs?
..we're looking at the general principles and not the particular. The question was and still is, is it the function of the Government to cater for its citizens or is it the function of a religion ? Google 'social contract' if you will to get an idea where I'm heading with this - thx !
In the west, did racialized people always have equal rights? Were women always able to vote? Did child labour laws always exist? No. People, Sikhs and non-Sikhs, had to come together to fight for these rights from the government. Just like our Gurus fought the Mughal dictators at that time.
..as I said before, you have to account for the bird brain back then when humankind lived in caves, look at the same human now ! WOW - from cave to castle, amazing ! evolution done that, meaning, we are gradually evolving to be socially, economically and humanly equal in all respects, if at all possible ? All the Gurus were mortal men who understood "justice", did what was right and moved on to make way for the women folk to take over n do the same.

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
What does it matter if the Gurus were first?
..morality was there before the Gurus, no ?
There are plenty of great people out there.
..yeah, like you, me n the jones next door !
Our Gurus asked us to stand against social injustice,
..do you need the guru to tell you what injustice is ?
Therefore, if the founders of our religion do this, then as followers, we take their example.
..do you have to be a follower, can one not be a civil citizen to have all the benefits of a rewarding life ?
all humans have an "option" to uphold morality.
..I thought you said some don't, look here, "There are definitely certain people, such as those that develop brain tumors or a mental illness, or sustain a brain injury, who literally may no longer know the difference between right and wrong" post #53 !
For Sikhs is a "duty" the Gurus gave us.
...not just for Sikhs, but for the whole of humanity; its called duty ethics, meaning, deontology !

RD1 G, I keep nit picking because there is a perspective, a true perspective of Nanak's, eternally true [Ekonkar], eternally beautiful [Satnam], eternally good [Waheguru] and eternally just God [Akal Purakh].

RD1

Writer
SPNer
Sep 25, 2016
The animals and other non-human beings can teach us who we really are, since most of them always know and never choose to disconnect from that awareness of the Hukam. Humans need animals, non living entities as we classify most things and all other life forms on levels invariably lower than us - on a spiritual plane. Wheras, truth is that all the other beings on this earth, by their presence, their honest communication, their wholeness, can, if we are thankful, gracious enough to accept wholeheartedly and receptive to their help - they can lead us wayward human clan back home, back in Hukam.

Very interesting perspective!

Us humans have become so very disconnected from nature, and animals, and perhaps even ourselves since we seem to fail to realize that we too are a part of nature. Maybe this is when the ego starts to go out of control - when we start seeing ourselves as so "special" and different from other life forms. And start seeing nature and animals as something to "conquer" rather than living in harmony with.

Your post reminded me of a beautiful quote by Alan Watts:

"We do not “come into” this world; we come out of it, as leaves from a tree. As the ocean “waves,” the universe “peoples.” Every individual is an expression of the whole realm of nature, a unique action of the total universe. This fact is rarely, if ever, experienced by most individuals. Even those who know it to be true in theory do not sense or feel it, but continue to be aware of themselves as isolated “egos” inside bags of skin."

RD1

Writer
SPNer
Sep 25, 2016
RD1 G, I keep nit picking because there is a perspective, a true perspective of Nanak's, eternally true [Ekonkar], eternally beautiful [Satnam], eternally good [Waheguru] and eternally just God [Akal Purakh].

Many of the points being "nit picked" have already been addressed/discussed!

In addition, sometimes you are quoting individual sentences, teased a part from the entire paragraph/context that I wrote them in - this can distort meaning.

Our conversation is becoming circular!

Whatever apparent misunderstanding we have, we will have to just agree to disagree.

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
From the little that I have observed and concluded to myself is this -animals live far more perfectly in compliance with the Hukam than we humans do. Our ego may lead us to believe that we are superior and that we are more evolved or whatsoever. But truth as I see it is very different, the opposite in fact, as I perceive.

Animals live and simply play their role to perfection. Animals as individuals combine their physical species nature with their mental and spiritual qualities to uniquely express themselves and their purposes in this universe, in the Hukam.

Animals, plants, rocks and other non-human forms are the spiritual guardians or keepers of Hukam on the planet. They never lose their awareness of themselves, of the Hukam - and their innate connection to all of Life. Of all species, humans appear to need the most education to master their existence.

Humans, unlike animals, struggle with their analytical complexity and choice to feel either connected to or separate from the whole, to acknowledge themselves as spiritual beings or feel finite and alienated in the material world.

We - the misplaced, sorry, egoistic superior species - are inculcated with the separation of existence through logic, analysis and scientific rationality. We urgently, desperately and in abundance need the reconnection to animals, plants and the earth more than ever, before we destroy ourselves and our (more of theirs than ours actually) world.

..interesting read ! what you describe above is life in its purest form, that is to say, animals truly live in the "moment of eternity". They are in complete harmony with the planet. That kind of state is how we once lived. We too were connected to the same primal energy that the animals are tapped into. We have cut ourselves away from the natural world when we came into civilisation [social contract]. We covered up the green with buildings and skyscrapers, placed barriers between us and it. We lost touch with our true self.

Nanak's Sikhism a "renaissance", nam simran [meditaion] is to that end, to tap into the universal flow and connect with our true self, God.

Goodnight -

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
Whatever apparent misunderstanding we have, we will have to just agree to disagree.
...there is no misunderstanding or disagreement on my part. I quite enjoyed our chin-wag and found you beautiful in all that you said. Uncompromising manner is easier to admire, courage can be had in animals, but it's the ability to agree to disagree that makes one noble and wise. And, that you are without a shadow of a doubt.

I enjoy what you write -

Goodnight

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
hmm not sure what that means

Anyone can contribute, including Sikhs.

Is the Government always just? Has Indian government cared about the social/political/economic impacts on Sikhs? In the west, did racialized people always have equal rights? Were women always able to vote? Did child labour laws always exist? No. People, Sikhs and non-Sikhs, had to come together to fight for these rights from the government. Just like our Gurus fought the Mughal dictators at that time.

What does it matter if the Gurus were first? There are plenty of great people out there. Our Gurus asked us to stand against social injustice, as I have explained. Therefore, if the founders of our religion do this, then as followers, we take their example.

Who argued otherwise?

Also, all humans have an "option" to uphold morality. For Sikhs is a "duty" the Gurus gave us.

Agreed. Love the One. Love the One in all.

Anyone can do good yes. Many people, on doing good deeds, will fall into ego of seva aka Trishna. Humans are susceptible to corruption, self glorification and fear based decision making. The remedy for these ills are the death of the ego.

The only way to avoid the above flaws are to accept that you are nothing, you have nothing, you do nothing- it's All Him and All is by His Grace.

So simple, yet this is humans greatest challenge. I am sh*t and that's it (excuse the language).

Corruption exists everywhere, charities have become a scam, 'great' leaders will perform great deeds one day, and bomb a city full of innocent civilians the next. Governments are full of mass murdering serial killers spending billions on arms and satellites while people starve and many heads of corporations have become greedy interested only of filling their own pockets. People in power have abused the power He's blessed them with and it's become their curse.

The difference between the 10 Kings and the false egotistical kings of today are that the 10 were devoid of ego, fear and enmity. They were as Satgurus, uncorruptable and 100% trustworthy. You cannot get a King/ Royal/ leader as perfect as that. Hence they were the perfect masters of Miri and Piri- of both spiritual and temporal authority.

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
So simple, yet this is humans greatest challenge. I am sh*t and that's it (excuse the language).
...the content is rich, meaningful and succinct, but yet, devoid of spiritual maturity ? Guru Nanak in Japji Sahib attends to it affirmatively -
Pauri 20 [cut n paste from internet with bit of cosmetic surgery to convey intent of conveyance, not meant to injure you in anyway but to draw out the beautiful you]

When the hands and the feet and the body are dirty, water can wash away the dirt.

When the clothes are soiled and stained by urine, soap can wash them clean.

But what when the intellect is stained and mind polluted by uncivility ?

Wash it with the Love of the Name [meaning, Waheguru], says Nanak.

Sikh doctrine is to an end where the manmukh is to elevate spiritually to the gurmukh. Use of civil language is an essential element to spiritual heights.

The 10 Kings live in you, serve them with their tongue.

A Sikh strives to be perfect in this imperfect world -

I accept without qualifications the above post, otherwise !

Good day -

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
...the content is rich, meaningful and succinct, but yet, devoid of spiritual maturity ? Guru Nanak in Japji Sahib attends to it affirmatively -
Pauri 20 [cut n paste from internet with bit of cosmetic surgery to convey intent of conveyance, not meant to injure you in anyway but to draw out the beautiful you]

When the hands and the feet and the body are dirty, water can wash away the dirt.

When the clothes are soiled and stained by urine, soap can wash them clean.

But what when the intellect is stained and mind polluted by uncivility ?

Wash it with the Love of the Name [meaning, Waheguru], says Nanak.

Sikh doctrine is to an end where the manmukh is to elevate spiritually to the gurmukh. Use of civil language is an essential element to spiritual heights.

The 10 Kings live in you, serve them with their tongue.

A Sikh strives to be perfect in this imperfect world -

I accept without qualifications the above post, otherwise !

Good day -

I understand your indignation at the choice of words, this is an example of how language is limited. Its the closest expression of being lowest of the low, again meaning no disrespect but actually the opposite.

Satguru Nanak himself called himself a lowly worm. I understand that positive is great, I meant this in a positive way, as in, we are Nothing.

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
.....without language we would struggle to exchange ideas or influence others, but how we manipulate and articulate conveyance is pretty much down to us as individuals.

I'm no saint, good traits are found in both the best of saints and worst of sinners.

Gurbani speaks that everyone of us is, in our deepest and most authentic nature a true sage. We have access to the natural flow of religious choreography, which is intrinsic to the very nature of life. Metal when tied to wood floats on water, similarly, says Nanak, is the mind when attached to "nam" will it miagrate from shyte to spiritual heights.

We have a saying from where I come [in Punjabi], that if you were to strip the queen of her royalty and put her up at the brothal as a dancing girl, no will know she is the queen and she'll dance the night away. Conversely, if you were to take the girl from the brothal and place her upon the thrown, everyone will think of her a queen, but wait, says the Punjabi folklore, only when she opens her mouth and speak will Jo public know her true character.

Language does matter, just as modesty does in social settings. But please, not on account of me must you demonstrate civility, but from "within", a true insight must prompt you to accord to the true virtue of the soul.

Sikhism advocates that we must cultivate moral virtues in conjunction with our performance virtues. And, there is good sense in doing that, because speaking nicely and acting justly has intrinsic motivations and benefits.

Please feel free to manipulate language to your hearts content.

Enjoy Saturday - speak soon !

Ciao

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
.....without language we would struggle to exchange ideas or influence others, but how we manipulate and articulate conveyance is pretty much down to us as individuals.

I'm no saint, good traits are found in both the best of saints and worst of sinners.

Gurbani speaks that everyone of us is, in our deepest and most authentic nature a true sage. We have access to the natural flow of religious choreography, which is intrinsic to the very nature of life. Metal when tied to wood floats on water, similarly, says Nanak, is the mind when attached to "nam" will it miagrate from shyte to spiritual heights.

We have a saying from where I come [in Punjabi], that if you were to strip the queen of her royalty and put her up at the brothal as a dancing girl, no will know she is the queen and she'll dance the night away. Conversely, if you were to take the girl from the brothal and place her upon the thrown, everyone will think of her a queen, but wait, says the Punjabi folklore, only when she opens her mouth and speak will Jo public know her true character.

Language does matter, just as modesty does in social settings. But please, not on account of me must you demonstrate civility, but from "within", a true insight must prompt you to accord to the true virtue of the soul.

Sikhism advocates that we must cultivate moral virtues in conjunction with our performance virtues. And, there is good sense in doing that, because speaking nicely and acting justly has intrinsic motivations and benefits.

Please feel free to manipulate language to your hearts content.

Enjoy Saturday - speak soon !

Ciao

With all do respect, when it comes to language and spirituality in general, intention has everything to do with everything.

If my intention was to express that I see myself as the lowest of the low, then I stand by my previous post in saying that the word I used was expressing my utmost respect for truth, although I understand and admire your stance on behaving in a civilised manner which I agree with otherwise.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Enjoy your day! :)

RD1

Writer
SPNer
Sep 25, 2016
Corruption exists everywhere, charities have become a scam, 'great' leaders will perform great deeds one day, and bomb a city full of innocent civilians the next. Governments are full of mass murdering serial killers spending billions on arms and satellites while people starve and many heads of corporations have become greedy interested only of filling their own pockets. People in power have abused the power He's blessed them with and it's become their curse.

This ties back to what I was thinking/feeling when this thread was originally started! Awakening to the truth of this existence, realizing how awful and negative it is....and then trying to determine what to make of it and how to move forward

RD1

Writer
SPNer
Sep 25, 2016
With all do respect, when it comes to language and spirituality in general, intention has everything to do with everything.

Agreed! Intention and context make all the difference.
The meanings and connotations of words change through time.
I think as long as you are not using your words against someone one - not swearing at some one, not trying to degrade another, then its generally OK.

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
Good morning All

If my intention was to express that I see myself as the lowest of the low, then I stand by my previous post in saying that the word I used was expressing my utmost respect for truth, although I understand and admire your stance on behaving in a civilised manner which I agree with otherwise.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Enjoy your day! :)
...thank you, had a smashing Sunday !

Look, I'm no Mr Perfect, but I believe perfection could be had. Nanak's Sikhi is to that end. The opening of Asa di Vaar [ADV] serve's a classic example, "ਬਲਿਹਾਰੀ ਗੁਰ ਆਪਣੇ ਦਿਉਹਾੜੀ ਸਦ ਵਾਰ ॥ ਜਿਨਿ ਮਾਣਸ ਤੇ ਦੇਵਤੇ ਕੀਏ ਕਰਤ ਨ ਲਾਗੀ ਵਾਰ ॥੧॥ [SGGSJ, 462: msg decoded would mean something like this: humans have the potential to become god-like].

Nanak believed that humans could have a character much better than what nature has ordained them with and felt there is no reason why such a character couldn't be had, hence, Sikh. One doesn't become a Sikh because one is born into a family of Sikhs, no, not at all, for one has to graft and walk the long road to perfection. Use of civil language is part n parcel of being a Sikh for ortherwise what's the difference between the noble and the ignoble?

The reason I keep nagging you is to draw you closer to the real KAUR. The father who gave you that name had a vision and His vision was that His Princess would one day be the mother of a society that will serve as a model for other social organisms to aspire. And somewhere it is recorded, ..."sangat ki yeh sad ki upyeah atmic gyan" [meaning, hey human, go and congregate with the speakers of truth for the uplifting of spiritual wisdom]. SPN is that congregation.

Indeed, I accept your "lowest of the low" [nimerta, humbleness] self-acclaim, but there is more. Guru Nanak calls himself lowest of the low in a context which is way way beyond human comprehension, that is to say, it's spiritual worth is immensely incalculable. It's a conceptual tool to rake in humility.

A Sikh has respect n dignity first n foremost for her/himself and then others. Respect n Dignity are human's "rights", they set humans apart from other animals. Baba Nanak's opening verse at ADV is within this context.

The beautiful thing in all this winding n grinding [me nagging] is that we are conscious of what is expected of us as civil citizens. Feel free to decorate yourself with the best of cosmetic vocab.

Enjoy the start to a good week - I must attend to my morning jog !

TC

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
This ties back to what I was thinking/feeling when this thread was originally started! Awakening to the truth of this existence, realizing how awful and negative it is....and then trying to determine what to make of it and how to move forward

Things are bad yes, but they could be worse. We especially in the west should be grateful for and happy with what we have, and at the same time understand that so much work needs to be done and begin to take action on helping that work begin.

Teaching others what we know is a huge step, when the lamp of spirituality and morality are lit within others, it's likely to spread. These things are what would spring people into action. And it only takes one star to light up the sky as Guru Nanak Ji taught us through his actions.

Detaching and teaching others to detach, and living Truth in action.

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
Good morning All

...thank you, had a smashing Sunday !

Look, I'm no Mr Perfect, but I believe perfection could be had. Nanak's Sikhi is to that end. The opening of Asa di Vaar [ADV] serve's a classic example, "ਬਲਿਹਾਰੀ ਗੁਰ ਆਪਣੇ ਦਿਉਹਾੜੀ ਸਦ ਵਾਰ ॥ ਜਿਨਿ ਮਾਣਸ ਤੇ ਦੇਵਤੇ ਕੀਏ ਕਰਤ ਨ ਲਾਗੀ ਵਾਰ ॥੧॥ [SGGSJ, 462: msg decoded would mean something like this: humans have the potential to become god-like].

Nanak believed that humans could have a character much better than what nature has ordained them with and felt there is no reason why such a character couldn't be had, hence, Sikh. One doesn't become a Sikh because one is born into a family of Sikhs, no, not at all, for one has to graft and walk the long road to perfection. Use of civil language is part n parcel of being a Sikh for ortherwise what's the difference between the noble and the ignoble?

The reason I keep nagging you is to draw you closer to the real KAUR. The father who gave you that name had a vision and His vision was that His Princess would one day be the mother of a society that will serve as a model for other social organisms to aspire. And somewhere it is recorded, ..."sangat ki yeh sad ki upyeah atmic gyan" [meaning, hey human, go and congregate with the speakers of truth for the uplifting of spiritual wisdom]. SPN is that congregation.

Indeed, I accept your "lowest of the low" [nimerta, humbleness] self-acclaim, but there is more. Guru Nanak calls himself lowest of the low in a context which is way way beyond human comprehension, that is to say, it's spiritual worth is immensely incalculable. It's a conceptual tool to rake in humility.

A Sikh has respect n dignity first n foremost for her/himself and then others. Respect n Dignity are human's "rights", they set humans apart from other animals. Baba Nanak's opening verse at ADV is within this context.

The beautiful thing in all this winding n grinding [me nagging] is that we are conscious of what is expected of us as civil citizens. Feel free to decorate yourself with the best of cosmetic vocab.

Enjoy the start to a good week - I must attend to my morning jog !

TC

Of course I'm not comparing myself to the First King, that would be foolish- a soul so beautiful, not many over the ages could compare.

But accepting oneself as Nothing is within reach, it's a heart statement, there's no me, only Him, or we, for we are just vessels, either of the ego or Truth. Perhaps I haven't completely succeeded in this present moment, or maybe I have, but I strive to apply this Gyan in my life.

Respect and dignity are in the death of the Ego, for its only then that maya loses her hold on the Bhagat.

Thank you, you too. Running is great, excercise is so important, respecting His temple :)

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: