• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Is It 'Beadbi' If A Clean-Shaven Guy Wears A Pag (Turban Worn Sikh-Style)?

Mar 26, 2006
I am always thinking to get the Turban back in fashion in India . The Kara has suceeded in fashion ...Many ideas pop up....can we have requests made at local Gurdwaras to request the sahajdhari sangat turn up wearing Turbans on Sundays when Sangats come in large numbers ?

Can we celebrate Turban day on Baisakhi..the day our Beloved Khalsa ji was established...?

The recent issue on the Singh is King movie dampened the idea ...however i thought to share this with our Sikh Philosophy Sangat....

Is this considered Beadbi ???

Well for me ....the best and most respected Head Gear in India is the Turban...if you watch any old english movies ...you will notice that Indians are all shown with Turbans ...

I also came across this info when i was listening to Gyani Maskeenji...Gyaniji stated that the earliest account of the importance of the Turban is..when Sudama a friend of Shri Krishanji visited Him...Sudama ji was poor therefore he was a torn attire..when he met Shri Krishan ji ...Krishanji covered his head with a Turban ...

Gyan Maskeen ji by giving this example stated that ..although Sudama ji's clothes were torn..Shri Krishan ji gave instant importance to the Turban...since he was 'nange seer' or head uncovered....

I request Sangatji to advice me on this

Raaj Karega Khalsa

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
re: Is It 'Beadbi" If A Clean-Shaven Guy Wears A Pag (Turban Worn Sikh-Style)?

Raj Khalsa ji

You are making some interesting statements -- many of them I agree with. But I am a little confused :confused: Please elaborate more on where your concern for Beadbi comes in. The thread title is sending us in one direction; and your comments are leading in another. So I need to hear more of your thinking on this.

Mar 26, 2006
whoooooo...i m sorry if i got you confused:( We have a dirty dozen in Punjab who created a ruckus over a actor who was shaved ..wearing a Turban in the movie..they considered this 'Beadbi'...The main objection raised was that the film promos showed Akshay Kumar's character sporting a trimmed beard, which some orthodox Sikhs found offensive Singh is Kinng screening disrupted in Amritsar- Entertainment-Media / Entertainment -News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

sing9460.jpg

Above : Akshay kumar with trimmed beard ; Below: The Protest

610x.jpg

Mar 26, 2006
What ideally things should be is a different issue...but if the actor wasnt suppose to trim..were these guys suppose to destroy property ? and among our Sikhs ..dont we have all shades of people ...you can get the best alcoholics in Punjab..bearded or shaved ...Punjab does have an alcohol problem...

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
rajkhalsa ji

Thank you for the elaboration. Yes, I knew about the problem with this actor Mr. Kumar having a trimmed beard, but acting in the role of a Sikh, who comes to his senses and becomes a hero. Forum moderator Randip ji had I believe something to say about this commotion. Once someone told me as a joke: If you are standing in a garage, that does not make you an automobile. If you are wearing a beard and turban, that does not make you a Sikh. The question is a constant issue -- and one where my opinion is not always welcome. Bana, some say, is an outer covering that changes you inwardly, purifies you within. Here we have some pictures that suggest that such is not always the case.

Having said this: When I see a man with a beard and turban -- then I think, he must be a Sikh. It is a comforting sight. No question. When I see someone with a kara, but no turban, perhaps a trimmed beard or no beard, I still think, he must be a Sikh. And it is a comforting sight. But it is devotion to the Satguru that purifies from within. Don't hold your breath though waiting for the world to change! You will die first. There will always be people who believe that they are the only ones who have it right. Nothing you can do about it.

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Who said the words below? Hint: a modern-day Sikh. You will be surprised!
Too often these days the practice of Sikhi has become negative, where guilt and judgment are passed onto people in relation to their practice of Sikhi (or lack of). I don’t look at Sikhi in this way as some ritualistic and fixed practice. So many of the practices of Sikhs have evolved over the past 400 years and I expect this to continue in many ways as the world changes.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
whoooooo...i m sorry if i got you confused:( We have a dirty dozen in Punjab who created a ruckus over a actor who was shaved ..wearing a Turban in the movie..they considered this 'Beadbi'...The main objection raised was that the film promos showed Akshay Kumar's character sporting a trimmed beard, which some orthodox Sikhs found offensive Singh is Kinng screening disrupted in Amritsar- Entertainment-Media / Entertainment -News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

sing9460.jpg

610x.jpg

The sikhs that protested against singh is king were stupids.Last Year there was a Film Jab we met that portrayed sikh girl in worst manner.But surpisingly there was not even a word from Any sikh or sikh organisation

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom

sing9460.jpg

610x.jpg

Those guys are from teh AKJ....need i say more? Akhand Keertani Jatha have been described humourously as PKJ or Pakhaand Keertani Jathaa.

My own view is that AKJ are Sikhs, but they are no different to any other cult like Namdhari's, or Radhaoswami.

Mar 26, 2006
thank you for all the inputs but people we need to discuss...IS IT BEADBI ?? See, my idea is to promote Sikhi Swaroop...if turbans come in trend..things can change...and what has been a part of the culture has to be promoted ...Turbans have been part of the India culture since ages...

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
thank you for all the inputs but people we need to discuss...IS IT BEADBI ?? See, my idea is to promote Sikhi Swaroop...if turbans come in trend..things can change...and what has been a part of the culture has to be promoted ...Turbans have been part of the India culture since ages...

Sikhs do not have a monoply on turbans!

So I cannot see why not.

Jun 3, 2008
sat sri akaal jio! reading this post reminded me of the line in gurbani "khoob teri pagri mithe tere bol". the turban is not a sikh invention so we cannot just claim it is beadbi for a clean shaven/trimmed sikh or non sikh to wear one. as for Bollywood, well it seems we can't win. just last year we sikhs were rightly protesting the negative images of sikhs portrayed in films and internet (sardar jokes/backward / comedien types in films) ok this year we have 2 films with a more positive role for an actor playing a sikh. Breaking and damaging property in the name of religion while wering bana is not the guru's way neither is bombing cinema's. It is the actions of the person wearing the pagri that define beadbi of our image not his / her looks.
bul chuk maff...das begs forgiveness if i have offended anyone.

Mar 26, 2006
thank you both bhai randip ji and bhai bhagatsinghdaveer ji...yes we should react to showing us sikhs as stupid...i get agitated too...and i think things have gone beyond control..if we dont show our agitation we are taken for granted...I am coming up with a presentation soon...

Nadir Shah raided Delhi in the year 1739

and looted Hindustan and was carrying lot of Hindustan treasures and

nearly 2200 Hindu women along with him. The news spread like a fire
and

was heard by Sardar Jassa Singh who was the Commander of the Sikh army

at that time. He decided to attack Nadir Shah's Kafila on

the same midnight . He did so and rescued all the Hindu

women and they were safely sent to their homes.

It didn't happen only once but thereafter whenever

any Abdaalis or Iranis had attacked and looted

Hindustan and were trying to carry the treasures and

Hindu women along with them for selling them in Abdal

markets, the Sikh army although fewer in numbers but

were brave hearted and attacked them at midnight ,12

O'clock and rescued women.

After that time when there occurred a similar

incidence, people started to contact the Sikh army for

their help and Sikhs used to attack the raider's at

Midnight, 12 O'clock. Nowadays, these "smart people"

and some Sikh enemies who are afraid of Sikhs, have

spread these words that at 12 O'clock, the Sikhs go

out of their senses. This historic fact was the reason

which made me smile over that person as I thought that

his Mother or Sister would be in trouble and wants my

help and was reminding me by saying off 'Sardarji

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
sat sri akaal jio! reading this post reminded me of the line in gurbani "khoob teri pagri mithe tere bol". the turban is not a sikh invention so we cannot just claim it is beadbi for a clean shaven/trimmed sikh or non sikh to wear one. as for Bollywood, well it seems we can't win. just last year we sikhs were rightly protesting the negative images of sikhs portrayed in films and internet (sardar jokes/backward / comedien types in films) ok this year we have 2 films with a more positive role for an actor playing a sikh. Breaking and damaging property in the name of religion while wering bana is not the guru's way neither is bombing cinema's. It is the actions of the person wearing the pagri that define beadbi of our image not his / her looks.
bul chuk maff...das begs forgiveness if i have offended anyone.

Bhagatsinghdaveer ji

You are describing exactly the contradictions in messages about Sikhs and Sikhi that continually baffle me. I am not offended. Funny how no one typically asks whether bombing cinemas and breaking store windows is beadbi.

Mar 26, 2006
Is it beadbi to react to insults and allegations heaped upon our country and its majority ?? I dont think so...and i feel if this is Beadbi..then i m proud to do it ...and shall repeat

there is a saying in Mumbai style Hindi..Tum Karo to Chamatkar ..Hum Kare to Balaatkaar (translated....what you do is a Miracle...and what we do is rape...i cant get a good word to sound it rhyming as in hindi)

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
rajkhalsa ji

The discussion has been so far about the photograph below and the actions of fanatical groups. What are you asking?

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
is fighting with one another and flaming on this board a beadbi?
:D

Thank you amarsanghera ji for bring up awareness.

Turbans are also worn by muslims. But they do not keep unshorn hair.
Turban is not part of the 5Ks.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Originally Posted by amarsanghera
is fighting with one another and flaming on this board a beadbi?

:)To clarify the question, flaming is not beadbi. It is just not allowed. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM