• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Is It A Sin To Marry A Divorced Woman Or Man?

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Re: Is it a sin to marry a divorced woman?

Is it a sin to married a divorced woman?

Different faiths havve different beliefs. It is a sin for Roman Catholics. I think it is not a sin for other Christians.

As Harry ji pointed out, sin, as Christians understand it,m is a null concept in Sikhi, that is, it does not exist. In Sikhi, there is no prohibition in marrying a divorced woman.

Sep 27, 2008
England

No it is not as mentioned above by member's. It might be a taboo in certain cultures as i am married to a widow & faced many problem's from gossiping relatives, family & even friend's. I do not like the word widow or divorced, if you love your partner then these words will mean nothing to you & i am certain the eternal does not get involved in gossiping bronze age taboo filled cultures.

Last edited:

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.

Is it a sin to married a divorced woman?

Harjindermee ji,

Guru fateh.

I am a bit puzzled at your question for the following reasons:

1. Your name sounds like of a Sikh/Punjabi.

2. You have claimed to be a Christian and asking this question in a Sikh Forum.

What is your point?

Having said that, it is not a "sin" if you marry a divorced/widowed/one legged or any other woman provided she does not make you sleep on the sofa for the span of your marriage.

dsm99

SPNer
Oct 26, 2011

I want to know if there is no divorce ( New Sikh marriage act) Then there is no question of remarriage. As a Sikh myself I am against that a Sikh can not have divorce (according to Sikh marriage act)

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada

AS a matter of interest:

My personal information is that here is no such "New Sikh Marriage Act". In April, 2012 the Government of India withdrew the proposed amendments to the existing Anand Karaj Act of 1909 ( REF: http://www.weeklytimesofindia.com/i...re-over-centres-decision-to-drop-proposal/The )

So the existing Anand Karaj is the prescribed form of Sikh marriage, and it is SILENT on the divorce issue! ( REF: Sikh Reht Maryada, Chaptet XI, Article XVIII: http://www.sgpc.net/rehat_maryada/section_four_chap_eleven.html )

I highly recommend the following for review : "Marriage, Infidelity and Divorce – A Sikh Perspective" by Dr. Sukhbir Singh Kapoor - http://www.sikhreview.org/july2002/socio.htm

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
The anand karaj doesn't get void, therefore there is no divorce.
Muslims can void their sacred marriage by saying talaak(divorce) so many times but Guru's sacred anand karaj knot cannot be untied with any procedure.
Many Sikhs get divorced according to the marriage laws of the land they live in, but this should not be confused with sikhi.

Remarriage, after the death of a spouse is perfectly accepted but one has to consider social issues such as age and need.. ie.. an 80yr old baba asking for a remarriage is not going to get too many fans!!

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
The anand karaj doesn't get void, therefore there is no divorce.
Muslims can void their sacred marriage by saying talaak(divorce) so many times but Guru's sacred anand karaj knot cannot be untied with any procedure.
Many Sikhs get divorced according to the marriage laws of the land they live in, but this should not be confused with sikhi.

Remarriage, after the death of a spouse is perfectly accepted but one has to consider social issues such as age and need.. ie.. an 80yr old baba asking for a remarriage is not going to get too many fans!!

Lucky Singh ji,

Religion has nothing to do with the divorce except in Islam. In fact I was watching an interesting series about the Tajikistan Muslim women on Al Jazeera yesterday where married men are text messaging 'Talak' 3 times to divorce their women. The problem is so grave that even the Imams are urging their men followers not to do that but to have face to face chat which may help prolonging their marriages instead of divorce.

These marriages are not registered in the court, as a result, the poor women have no recourse as far as child support or alimony is concerned and we all know they have multiple children who are legally Baastards. Many of the kids/boys are forced to drop out from schools and see their dreams shattered to support their mothers for the next meal.

They live in misery because of this and the stigma to remarry a single man is an ever hanging cloud over their lives. For this reason many women want polygamy as a law in their country because a single/divorced woman can not even get a job.

The Anand Karaj, if not registered is not a valid marriage, so the question of divorce does not even come into the equation which is a civil matter.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

Last edited:

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA

Here I am! :gingerteakaur: Assuming he can give me good companionship and provide for my needs - I have severe disabilities and huge medical bills - and he is a keshdhari Sikh, we can get to know each other. And I am not the only senior-aged, lonely Sikh widow.

Of course, if he wants a trophy wife, that's another matter.:motherlylove:

Jul 18, 2007
London
Would it be ok for a divorcee to marry a divorcee then? lol as they are both "sinners"?

Strange question, I would think there is a basic level even before considering this question, do most people marry because they truly accept their partner for who they are? or is it more due to physical attraction, status, reputation, other superficial factors, which would be on par a "sin" if thinking that way ;-)

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
I thought that in rare cases, divorce and permission to remarry via anand karaj CAN be granted? MArried are not those who merely sit together, but those who become one soul in two bodies.... if through purely arranged marriage etc, that 'becoming one soul in two bodies' never happens because they discover they have nothing in common and can't stand each other, then I think the anand karaj never actually 'happened' to begin with.

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
I thought that in rare cases, divorce and permission to remarry via anand karaj CAN be granted? MArried are not those who merely sit together, but those who become one soul in two bodies.... if through purely arranged marriage etc, that 'becoming one soul in two bodies' never happens because they discover they have nothing in common and can't stand each other, then I think the anand karaj never actually 'happened' to begin with.

I believe you are thinking of a possible annulment, such as the Roman Catholics do. The question is, of course, since Sikhi has no clergy, who would grant it?

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
I believe you are thinking of a possible annulment, such as the Roman Catholics do. The question is, of course, since Sikhi has no clergy, who would grant it?

panj pyare? I think i read... it was definitely pertaining to Sikhi.

I know of someone who was forces into arranged marriage by anand karaj. They could never get along from day 1. He was forces to sleep on the floor because he would not share the bed. Things got worse, to the point that she would threaten suicide if he would not do things etc. He ended up leaving the UK and coming to Canada to get away from it all. She was mentally abusing him... so according to Sikhi, is he now condemned to live life alone because he was forces to go through the motions of an anand karaj ceremony? Or could it possibly be that the intended spiritual connection of marriage actually never happened at all since they never got along from day 1? What does he do now? live life alone because of a mistake his parents made? What if he finds someone who he DOES connect spiritually with?

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
panj pyare? I think i read... it was definitely pertaining to Sikhi.

I know of someone who was forces into arranged marriage by anand karaj. They could never get along from day 1. He was forces to sleep on the floor because he would not share the bed. Things got worse, to the point that she would threaten suicide if he would not do things etc. He ended up leaving the UK and coming to Canada to get away from it all. She was mentally abusing him... so according to Sikhi, is he now condemned to live life alone because he was forces to go through the motions of an anand karaj ceremony? Or could it possibly be that the intended spiritual connection of marriage actually never happened at all since they never got along from day 1? What does he do now? live life alone because of a mistake his parents made? What if he finds someone who he DOES connect spiritually with?

Silly me! I hadn't thought of the Panj Piyare.

It seems to me the above "anand karaj" was a parody, just a meaningless ceremony of the sort that Sikhi despises. A ritual was performed that was no more a marriage than mumbling words over me and dunking me into water would make me a Christian.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

AS a matter of interest:

My personal information is that here is no such "New Sikh Marriage Act". In April, 2012 the Government of India withdrew the proposed amendments to the existing Anand Karaj Act of 1909 ( REF: http://www.weeklytimesofindia.com/i...re-over-centres-decision-to-drop-proposal/The )

So the existing Anand Karaj is the prescribed form of Sikh marriage, and it is SILENT on the divorce issue! ( REF: Sikh Reht Maryada, Chaptet XI, Article XVIII: http://www.sgpc.net/rehat_maryada/section_four_chap_eleven.html )

I highly recommend the following for review : "Marriage, Infidelity and Divorce – A Sikh Perspective" by Dr. Sukhbir Singh Kapoor - http://www.sikhreview.org/july2002/socio.htm

Somewhere I am missing a link in the discussion. If Anand Karaj is the prescribed form of Sikh marriage, per the SRM, and the SRM is silent on divorce, how can there be no remarriage by anand karaj following divorce? Are we talking about this from the spiritual perspective - only one joining of souls is possible and it can never be undone? Or is there room for a practical reality that there is no rule? I think I am missing something.

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Respected spnadmin Ji: THE SUPREME LEADER HAS SPOKEN!:

The Tribune, Amritsar, Mar. 3, 2005

"The charges of polygamy put Giani Iqbal Singh, Jathedar [head-priest], Patna Sahib, in a fix yesterday when the Jathedar, Akal Takht, Giani Joginder Singh Vedanti, announced that without divorce, second marriage by a Sikh is violation of the 'Sikh rehat maryada,' approved by the S.G.P.C. and [the] Akal Takht." ....................................continued

source: http://www.sikhtimes.com/news_030305a.html

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Now you are going to see how confused I am Soul-jyot ji. Does this mean that one may have a second anand karaj following a civil divorce?

Seems to me that a few people I know did get a civil divorce and then did have a second and in one case a third anand karaj.

Sort of a wink wink situation, but nonetheless.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM