• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Is It A Sin As A Sikh To Have More Than One Wife ?

Sep 7, 2006
Re: Is it a SIN as SIKH to have more than one wife ?

If Sikh men can have more than one wife, and women are totally equal to men, can Sikh women have more than one husband?

Would you be comfortable sharing your wife with another man, or men? If not, then consider that her perspective might indeed be similar.
Respected Sister,
I think you have very rightly answered hps62.Let us not touch this thread.Most of the topic That I have seen have slendrous language against Sikhism.Surprising that no one seems to be concerned.Sometime there is atalkof Koran sometime it is christianity and now it is 'the gentleman has stated that' he thinks' that some guru ji.....Please ignorethis thread.
Regards.

GITIKA KAUR

SPNer
Sep 7, 2006
delhi,india

about guru gobind singh ji uncle before ardaas we say pitah guru gobind singh mata sahib kaur ? because we say mata sahib kaur wen sahib kaur said to guru gobind singh that i want to get marry with you he said no i cant get marry with you bt yes you can accept me as your husband bt i will not live with you i will live with my wife only so her wife is only one but he gave her full respect may be i can be wrong i am a learner and always be a learner
with regards
gitika kaur{sggsji daughter}

Dimitri

SPNer
May 4, 2006

Gitika, I agree with you. From the histrory that i have read and have been told by other ppl, Guru Gobind Singh never had a husband-wife relationship with her.

Jul 10, 2006

Dear brother

SSAKAL

Since no one has given me a answer to my question ?

I shall tell what is weighing on my mind and why I wrote this post:--

I feel there can be no common code of conduct for all Sikhs thru out the world.

You will have to adapt to the land where you live.

Here In India there is a game plan to convert certian states like Utttar pardesh and Assam to Muslim states .

This will mean they too will become like Kashmir where our YOU WITH YOUR HINDU brothers shall be driven out .

Next after being driven out as in Kashmir ; they will come to us in Punjab crying like before in days of Guruji to save them.

Imagine if kashmir is eating into your army resource then what willl two muslim state do.

India would sink and so with it your Punjab.

What will happen to your beloved Golden Temple if India sinks. Vultures are sitting out to destroy it as it is posing a great threat to the muslims by its teaching of one common God.

Who unlike other religion believe that there is only one GOD and his name is Allah.
We say that there is certianly one God but who is called by different name in different civilizations.

The same ruins that other Gurdwara suffer today in Pakistan (From where you have been driven out of your ancestreal home mercilessly).

Same fate shall befall Golden Temple sooner or later if these two states fall .

At least Golden temple shines again in India today to give its spiritual guidance and fragrance to you in all the distant land.

Which you all fondly come from abroad to visit.

It is in this context I suggested that we can adapt few of their tactics of survival which I have discussed at this site under post :-

Indian muslim a sucess story:- lessons for Sikhs

Having more than one wife is a temporary abberant step in that direction so the smart and sucessful amongst us can have more of his genome by more number of Kids. It is certianly nota permanent way. We are adopting to the harsh realities of life.

Let us not get cowed down by our past leagacy. It is full of blunders and mistakes it is just the raw courage that saw us thru the bad days of 1600. It is high time that we started using our Brains besides the Brawn ( of which we have plenty see the latest Akal Takth brawl ) now that we are an adolescent religion 500 years young .

Bubbling with enthusiasm and youthfulness and rearing to go due to our young religion.

We have arrived on the beautiful planet called Earth.

Once the threat goes of the Calipathe ( the dirty job is already being done by USA and Israel armed forces) we can start living the normal way the rest of world lives. I sincerly wish we could join this war of enduring freedom.

Now some would wonder why after 1980 should we bother about this threat to other Indian State.

Let me say that the 1980's can be compared to two brothers ( Punjabi ) fighting over the Indian Pie .

Just like Reliance brother fought over there father's empire.

No brother budged from his share not even a penny.

Did one of the brother give up on his share of Reliance Pie. No and why should he.

The other brother of our's has used all the dirty tactics they could do by their close influence on Power in Delhi.

Riots , Golden temple invasion and Scorched earth policy in Punjab to demoralise us and send us scurring away to our Western friends for shelter.

After all they think they are the smarter bloke .

Just like the Jews considered themselves when christianity was being born.

What did the Jews do to Christ? They just crucified them.

That did not stop the Christian as becoming the greatest religion on modern day earth.

We Sikhs should also get rightfully our share of the Indian Pie and I can promise you that their are a lot of Indians who feel that Sikhs must get there share of Indian pie.

Dont get affected by the action of few competitive Indians.
There are a lot of Indians who love you.
Dont squander away the good will after all it has been made after a lot of sacrifices.

How else do you expalin the current SIkh PM and chief of Army staff.
It will take generations for you to get these posts in UK , Canada or USA pie.
In the Islamic world it will take you a millenium but you shall there also get your share of pie. ( After all RAJ KAREGA KHALSA ).

After all we Sikh have made the maximum sacrifice for our motherland India.

Mother India is quite fair even though few of her children want to corner it all to themselves ( no names ).

Under Sonia Gandhi stewardship lot of neglected chidren of India are getting there share of Indain Pie.

We in Punjab are in certian ways what Greek civilization is to the western civilization.

Giving up your share of Indian Pie would be like a coward running away.

Some of your competitor who do not want you to have a share of Indian Pie will jeer at you with snide remarks of the 84 riots .

Dont let it bother you .

I have told you that Sikhs must be prepared for more Genocides/holocoust / to the extent even Jews did not see through out the world.
As to the reason why this shall happen especially in religious driven countries like the Indian and Islamic ones .
The answer is that you espounge a FUNDAMENTAL TRUTH which is blasphemous to many of entrenched vested interest through out the globe.

For only after these holococuast the Truth will dawn on this beautiful planet of ours so fearlessly say the truth

" That there is only one God for all of us and he loves all his children"

So remember in our fight amongst the brother ( Punjabi ) for Indian pie since 1980 :

Let the Muslim not be the smart one to take away pie from all of you in form of two vital states of Assam and Uttarpardesh.

Guard these states ferociously the way you guard your Punjab.

See to it that Uttar pardesh and Assam is not lost to medievieal forces out of the Oil rich foolish land called Arabia.

Just Ponder what I have written. It will start making sense with time .

I am happpily married but this threat weighs down on my mind heavily in INDIA.
There for this post is an adhoc temporary waiver on a single wife.

WGKWGF

love

hps62

:}{}{}: Veerji, your post made me grin. I hope you do know that like China, there is already a population explosion in India!.

As regards to your question. NO! NO! NO! NO! ..Only one wife for a Sikh.

As regards to your "Raj Keraga Khasa", you have to understand what "Khalsa" actually mean. It basically means "pure" ie the "Pure will Rule".

Source: The Sikhism Home Page

Guru and Sikh - Khalsa
by Yuktanand Singh

The Tenth Master writes: When I had become one with God, He said to this worm, "Now, you will be called my son. I created you to show My Panth to the world. Go, spread Dharma, and show people how to refrain from foolish practices." (DG, p.57) and, "My venerable Guru (My father, The Ninth Master), gave his life for the sake of Dharma. 'You have to spread Dharma everywhere, defeat and capture the corrupt and the tyrant.' This is why I have come to this world. All True Seekers should understand this clearly, I took a human birth only for this purpose: To promote Dharma, to nurture genuine Sainthood, and to destroy the roots of all corruption." (DG, p.57)

Khalsa is the highest, and the most glorified state, of a Sikh, who has attained spiritual perfection. The term 'Khalsa Panth' is used to indicate a fellowship of Sikhs who are adherent to the principles taught by the Ten Sikh Masters. Some baptized Sikhs have now started to use this word as their last name.

The term Khalsa (God's Own) is reserved for those Gursikhs who have perfected the spiritual principles of The Tenth Master. Khalsa is a spiritual clone of Guru Gobind Singh Ji, who is the father of Khalsa. Therefore, only a Gursikh, after accepting the Amrit, can hope to realize this ideal. However, taking Amrit is not an automatic conversion into a Khalsa. Amrit is just a beginning on this Path. It is wrong to assume that a baptized Sikh is a Khalsa. The word, Khalsa, is used more as an adjective rather than a noun. Khalsa is a rare soul.

How rare is Khalsa? Most Sikhs of today have probably never met one. Most of those who meet a True Gursikh do not recognize him. To be able to recognize him, you need to have an intense desire to meet such a person. He does not advertise himself! As Kabir Ji said, "Kabir, having found the Divine gems, do not display your goods. Neither is there a market, nor recognition, nor a customer willing to pay the price for your priceless merchandise." (SGGS, p.1365)

Sikhs may respectfully call each other Khalsa. However, calling ourselves Khalsa does not make us Khalsa. For a Khalsa Gursikh, in his humility, this word represents an ideal that he will continue to revere all his life. He sees Khalsa in the Sangat, or another Gursikh, and ignores his own greatness. This is why the Sangat is often called Khalsa Ji, or Guru Khalsa Ji. Though the term "Guru Panth Khalsa" is popular, it stands for only such Gursikhs in the Sangat. A Gursikh, or a Khalsa Gursikh, would not consider himself worthy of such an honor. He would not accept to be called a saint, a sadhu nor a guru, either.

Others can do whatever they desire, but a Khalsa (A Sikh Saint) strictly follows the rules of the Tenth Master, and does not go around offering personal initiation to seekers. However, he does not hide away from the Sangat. Being humble, he is always nurtured by the spiritual sharing with the so-called common people. As The Tenth Master said: "I am glorified and sit on a throne only because of the mercy of these Sikhs, or I would be lying on the streets, just like the millions worthless like me." (DG, p.645)

Saint Scholar Shri Naranjan Singh Ji would not let anyone bow to him, or call him a saint. Hindus and Sikhs, whoever met him, became firm followers of Guru Granth Sahib. The mere sight of him at the feet of Guru Granth Sahib convinced others that this Holy Scripture is a Living Guru. This is the conduct (Jugat) of a Perfect Sikh Saint. He appealed that all Sikhs should say, "Dhann Shri Guru Granth Sahib" (Guru Granth Sahib is Glorious), five times every morning when they first open their eyes. He said that if you did this every day for forty days, you could see that Guru's Light (Jote) lives in Guru Granth Sahib.

The word "Khalsa" has several meanings. The most common is "Pure." Shri Naranjan Singh Ji described one meaning of Khalsa as "Property."

Here is the definition of Khalsa in the words of The Tenth Master:

"Day and night, he worships the Living Light. He does not entertain any thought of duality. Perfect Love and perfect conviction adorn his personality. How can he follow fasting (rituals) or, even by accident, pray to an idol or a grave? His pilgrimage will be Daan (giving), mercy, self-discipline of tolerance, and self-control. He sees only the One, One God everywhere. Only when The Perfect Light fully illuminates his heart, can you call him Khalsa. Otherwise, he is not Khalsa." (DG, p.712) and:
"One who knows the delight of abiding in the Overself alone, is Khalsa, worthy of adoration. There is not a miniscule difference between him, me, and my beloved God." (SLG, p.668)

Let us not dishonor this word by using it in a trivial manner. The Tenth Master has attributed the highest virtues to Khalsa: "Khalsa is my Dharma and my aim. Khalsa is my innermost secret. Khalsa is my Perfect True Guru. Khalsa is my brave and true friend. Khalsa is my intellect and my knowledge. Khalsa's form is what I meditate on now. I cannot say enough in praise of Khalsa…………..If I had as many tongues as the hair on my body, still I may not be able to finish counting all the virtues of Khalsa. I belong to Khalsa, and Khalsa belongs to me, just like the sea and the drop of sea. Khalsa is the army of God. Khalsa has emerged now only because of His own wish." (SLG, p.667)

Now the questions is how we can be a "Khalsa".

Why worry about having more children etc., when Guru ji has already told us how we can achieve the "Raj". The answers are all in Gurbani. Start "living" Gurbani.

I am no expert but, well, thats my 2 pence worth.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: