• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Islam Is Halal Meat Scientifically Proven Right?

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
The sensory nerve fibres and nerve endings are still transmitting impulses for some time even after oxygen supply to the brain is deprived.
Whilst the animal is screaming out in pain- it is feeling pain.
Only when it passes out from lack of oxygen, then we can say- no pain- as it's not screaming out in pain.
Therfore, cutting the jugular slowly does not eliminate the pain.

However, whats killed is still killed, be it halal or not.
Killing the animal is an act of cruelty that we should see. Cutting it fast or slow doesn't make it better.

Thanks

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
What it does do is get rid of the blood in the animal's system thereby sanitizing the meat. This would have been useful for desert nomads who had no better way of sanitizing the meat. I think with modern technology we can do without this method.

What I do like about halal is that it puts the person in touch with the animal and experience the animal as it's slaughtered. Modern technology removes this contact and removes that bond between animal and man.

Feb 23, 2012
United Kingdom
Dear brothers and sisters 0:)

This is an interesting topic!

I believe that food should be catered towards the needs of all people in a diverse, modern, multi-religious and ethnic society. And so the idea that halal meat has been - and is being - sold as the normal , standard meat in British food establishments without clear labelling, I find deeply distressing.

Beyond all doubt, Muslims must have the right to consume halal and this must be upheld up at all costs.

However why impose it upon the general population that doesn't adhere to Islam? I don't understand this. Food should be open to the needs of everyone surely and not one group (especially if the country is a diverse, multi-religious society such as Britain!)

I know of a company based in Britain that has been created to address this issue of religiously slaughtered meat (ie halal) being sold without labelling and standardized for the general food chain.

I've tried to search for the website online and I think this is it:

http://www.secularfood.com/

I thought I'd bring it up since our dear brother Potter was speaking about the same kind of thing. I've heard about it from a friend (who knows one of the people who are doing the above).

Much love :singhsippingcoffee:

Last edited:

Seeker9

Cleverness is not wisdom
SPNer
May 2, 2010
UK
What I do like about halal is that it puts the person in touch with the animal and experience the animal as it's slaughtered

An unusual viewpoint and one I don't understand...perhaps you could elaborate

Regardless of the level of empathy between the axeman and the slaughtered, the real question for me is whether the suffering of the animal is prolonged as a result of this ritual slaughter approach

Seeker9

Cleverness is not wisdom
SPNer
May 2, 2010
UK
Dear Vouthon JI

It is a valid point.

It's a consequence of political correctness gone mad

Auzer Ji - please don't take this the wrong way but events of the last decade, stemming from the 9/11 attacks followed by the 7/11 attack in London has created a fear and hysteria around Islam in this country

We have muslim leaders (representative or not) attacking western foreign policy and putting forward the view that this has resulted in disengaged muslim youth / wider muslim society and that is why things like the 7/11 attack have occurred

So the powers that be are bending over backwards to accomodate and "re-engage" them

Apologies again, no offence intended but this is what I genuinely believe

Seeker9

Cleverness is not wisdom
SPNer
May 2, 2010
UK
Last edited:

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Auzer ji

Before we go on, I think it may be a good idea to get the definition of halal.
I'm sure you would be more efficient than me in tracking a reliable source.

I mention this definition as I was informed that halal is not just the way it's cut, it's actually having the animal raised in a very healthy manner without hormones, antibiotics and protein pumpers.
Also, the animal should be slaughtered away from the others, does this get monitered in a mass production setting??

I may have been informed wrongly, but you may correct me.
I knew some muslims who were concerned with these issues and thus came to the conclusion that true halal was not available, so why bother!!!

Let me know if I'm wrong, it's cool to learn!!

Thanks

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
What it does do is get rid of the blood in the animal's system thereby sanitizing the meat. This would have been useful for desert nomads who had no better way of sanitizing the meat. I think with modern technology we can do without this method.

Exactly. It was something necessary in those days.

What I do like about halal is that it puts the person in touch with the animal and experience the animal as it's slaughtered. Modern technology removes this contact and removes that bond between animal and man.

Doubt it. Modern Halal slaughter is like a production line.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010

Not for the faint of heart. Let us see how much man-animal contact happens in religious slaughtering,

WARNING: NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV9_-C_C3Fw
Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Is eating meat allowed in Sikhism by SRM?
Veer Manni Singh 85 ji SRM simply states,

• "not to eat Meat per Muslim preparation", i.e. "Kutha". See number 2 on the extracted below,
ieh cwr kurihqW nhIN krnIAW:-
The following four misdeeds Shall not be done.

1) kysW dI by-AdbI -
Sacrilege actions regarding Hair
2) ku`Tw Kwxw[ -Eating meat (per Islamic ways)
3) pr-iesqRI jW pr-purS dw gmn (Bogxw)[
-Sexual conduct with other woman or man
4) qmwkU dw vrqxw[
-Use of Tobacco

ienHW ivcoN koeI kurihq ho jwvy qW muV ky AMimRq Ckxw peygw[ AwpxI ie`Cw ivru`D AnBol hI koeI kurihq ho jwvy qW koeI dMf nhIN[ - For any indiscretion regarding any of above misdeeds, re-baptization is required. If against your will or an innocent indiscretion, there is no penalty.
It does not encourage, discourage or forbid any types of meats, etc. or meat eating beyond this.

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Seeker9,
The idea is to get in touch with nature as much as possible. Modern technology and infrastructure removes this interaction and in areas, it is 0. The reasoning is simple.
In a nutshell:
1. We are nature.
2. We want to know who we are. (saying "we are nature" is not knowledge)
3. If we want to know who we are, we ought to know nature.

Reading about it in a book does not help so much in the actual knowing process, it may certainly get one interested in nature. Reading is intellectual and we want to know nature and ourselves at an intuitive level. So we want to interact with nature through the 5 senses, involving as many senses as we can at one time.

Modern slaughter is very divorced from the senses. Read philosophy of Martin Heidegger around technology (Questions concerning technology, I believe).

Anyways it turns out halal is done in factories which are no different than other non-halal factories. So what we are looking for is something like this:

Jhatka at Hazur Sahib on Dashera 2011 - YouTube

Now you are not going to get enlightened by doing that (I don't know someone might) but this is better than letting a machine slaughter the animal.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Why we take anything as Hindu that does not suit our mental thinking.
Why dont we ask our GuRu and act accordingly?
Prakash.s.Bagga
Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji does not ask you to park your brain in the Parking lot. That is Hinduism (belief system in deities, Directors to get to God, other) and Sikhism asks if not requires you to use your brain. It has been stated many a times that Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is not your recipe book. It is a teacher that allows you to better use your brain not to keep recoiling and stating let me look it up or ask the Guru. For example have you read or Amarjit SSIngh Bamrah ji read the "Fools who wrangle over flesh thread". There was enough citing of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji there. Was that not a way for those Sikhs to describe how Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji has allowed them to share their understanding consistent with Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. Conversly you simply ignore all and everyone's efforts based on Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and comign up with brilliant lines like "Let us ask Guru ji". You have handful "Jholi Chuk" followers here as associates, consider what service you are doing for Sikhism. Hinduism does not need you as defenders and I don't want to depend upon your ability to defend Hinduism as you seem to fail to understand even Sikhism, your forte.

You think Guru ji is just waiting for a failed student to keep claiming everyone else should not be passed or knows or understands nothing. Doors close on all of us and is this the legacy based on Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji that you want to leave behind for yourself not that it will matter to a bunch of ash and bones?

You know better and your purposes in all this appears utterly nefarious of a sect follower. There is a section for sects and you respectfully should post your stuff there.

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2010
Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji does not ask you to park your brain in the Parking lot. That is Hinduism (belief system in deities, Directors to get to God, other) and Sikhism asks if not requires you to use your brain. It has been stated many a times that Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is not your recipe book. It is a teacher that allows you to better use your brain not to keep recoiling and stating let me look it up or ask the Guru. For example have you read or Amarjit SSIngh Bamrah ji read the "Fools who wrangle over flesh thread". There was enough citing of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji there. Was that not a way for those Sikhs to describe how Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji has allowed them to share their understanding consistent with Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. Conversly you simply ignore all and everyone's efforts based on Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and comign up with brilliant lines like "Let us ask Guru ji". You have handful "Jholi Chuk" followers here as associates, consider what service you are doing for Sikhism. Hinduism does not need you as defenders and I don't want to depend upon your ability to defend Hinduism as you seem to fail to understand even Sikhism, your forte.

You think Guru ji is just waiting for a failed student to keep claiming everyone else should not be passed or knows or understands nothing. Doors close on all of us and is this the legacy based on Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji that you want to leave behind for yourself,m not that it will matter to a bunch of ash and bones?

You know better and your purposes in all this appears utterly nefarious of a sect follower. There is a section for sects and you respectfully should post your stuff there.

Sat Sri Akal.

Thank you very much JUDGE Sahib for your nice worded message.

Prakash.s.Bagga

Jan 17, 2012
london uk
I don't know about scientifically proven right thingy but Halal slaughter is probably less painful to animal. Any biology major will tell you that when to traditionally slaughter the cow , it cuts off its jugular vein and hence stopping the supply of blood to the brain. If brain isn't working or getting enough blood-supply(oxygen) , one would NOT feel pain. But again , many arguments can be given against it too.

Potter your anti-halal page is more anti-Islam page actually. Why you Christians feel THIS MUCH insecure of Islam,eh? Your slandering only makes Christianity look like a joke and nothing else. Guys like you give bad name to other Christians too.

Ambarsaria you seem to be another anti-Islam hater :mundabhangra:
Auzer ji

I have a question to ask you if I may

I would love to post my views on your Islamic site just as you post your views on the Sikh philosophy site!

How would my views be taken?

Will I be attacked?
Will your subscribers enter the debate or will they not accept?

Amarjit
Would you be willing to give the web link.
Will the Islamic site be friendly and would they read my postings?

Just a thought really

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Auzer ji

I have a question to ask you if I may

I would love to post my views on your Islamic site just as you post your views on the Sikh philosophy site!

How would my views be taken?

Will I be attacked?
Will your subscribers enter the debate or will they not accept?

Amarjit
Would you be willing to give the web link.
Will the Islamic site be friendly and would they read my postings?

Just a thought really

Your views are being attacked her on a Sikh site so please don't worry about Islamic sites. This thread is about Islam.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: