Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Is enlightenment only for females?

Discussion in 'Sikh Sikhi Sikhism' started by Archived_member2, May 15, 2005.

1. Archived_member2

Archived_member2
    Expand Collapse
    Archived

Pray Truth for all and say Satsriakal!

Our Gurus have sung a lot about becoming Suhaagan (married as woman).

Did they become female?

Balbir Singh

2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Contentment, enlightenment and god Blogs Oct 17, 2015
    Buddhism Reality, Truth and Developing the Wisdom to Enlightenment. Interfaith Dialogues Nov 16, 2012
    Nature Seeking Enlightenment From Spirits and Forests in Japan Breaking News Jul 18, 2011
    Buddhism The Path to Buddhist Enlightenment: Sometimes Assertion, Sometimes Surrender Interfaith Dialogues Mar 5, 2011
    Hinduism The Evolution of Enlightenment Interfaith Dialogues Feb 13, 2011

3. UnstoppableSingh

UnstoppableSingh
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

In bani the Soul (Surat) is given the female gender. Examples of the Soul as a women preparing to go to her In-Laws house (Akal Purkh) representing how this whole world is just tempory until we reach the house of our husband (Paakae Di Ghar). Or as a Women being abused/raped by the 5 vices of the world and so on. Jeev-Istri is the title most often used when explaining the souls to us by Guru Ji.

4. Archived_member2

Archived_member2
    Expand Collapse
    Archived

Satsriakal to all and Unstoppable Singh Ji!

You wrote "In bani the Soul (Surat) is given the female gender."

Please provide a reference from Gurbani that Soul and Surat are the same and that Soul is the female gender.

I will be grateful.

Balbir Singh

5. CaramelChocolate

CaramelChocolate
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Balbir, the soul is not literally female, and God is not literally male. It is simply a poetic analogy. The soul has no gender, race, colour, nationality, sexual desire, cultural influences etc. etc.

6. Archived_member2

Archived_member2
    Expand Collapse
    Archived

Satsriakal to all and Caramel Chocolate Ji!

You wrote two sentences.

Your first sentence begins with "soul is . . ." and the last sentence starts with "Soul has . . ."

Are these two characteristics of the soul?

Please enrich my knowledge.

Balbir Singh

7. Amarpal

Amarpal
    Expand Collapse
    Mentor Writer SPNer Contributor

Dear Balbir Singh Ji,

I have responded to your similar post in www.{url not allowed} There I have gone out of Gurbani to tell that the creator has used female's body as template to create the male. Here I remain within the teachings of Gurbani to share what I have understood.

To convey other worldly concepts to we mortals, Guru Sahib have to use the analogies with which we are familiar. The same concept of love have to be ingrained in us under different context so that the individuals with different background can acquire the essense of it and incorporate it in their being. Guru Sahib has used the analogies that are easily understood by ladies, as ladies too were and are equal part of Guru Sahib's audience.

As our society is men dominated, women depend on men for many tasks in their lives. The man on whom the woman has confidence that she can depend becomes the one on which she has faith. This faith and dependence over a period of time gets converted into love. We all, men and women have faith in 'The Sat' we depend on 'The Sat', what Guru Sahib is conveying through this analogy is for we people ( men and women) to move to the next stage, that of love. I admit, that women will understand this analogy more readily than men, but men too can understand it.

With love and respect for all.

Amarpal Singh