Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Interfaith Memorial Service inspired me to learn more about how various religions honor the dead...

Discussion in 'Interfaith Dialogues' started by namjiwankaur, Dec 19, 2012.

1. namjiwankaur

namjiwankaur
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor

Sat Nam _/|\_

I am still trying to find a video of the memorial service for the victims at Sandy Hook Elementary School. I've only found a couple short clips and, of course, many of the President speaking there.

I am trying to find out which religions were represented there. I know of Jewish, Christian and Muslim, but were there others? I have been trying to be respectful of the victims' religions when I pray. Not all of them were Christian. I know one of the boys was Jewish.

I would like to honor the victims by learning more about which verses from Holy Books are used in various religions during their funerals. I realize I know too little about how various religions honor the dead.

Isn't one of the bani recited for the dead in Sikhism? If so, could we all commit to reciting it together in memory of all the children and adults who lost their lives?

Did any Sikhs speak at the interfaith memorial service?

Nam Jiwan

• Like Like x 1
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    DEVELOPMENT OF INTERFAITH DIALOGUE BY GURU NANAK Interfaith Dialogues Wednesday at 8:13 PM
    Interfaith Meet At Gaya -Concepts Discussed Interfaith Dialogues Wednesday at 8:04 PM
    Interfaith Meet At Gaya Interfaith Dialogues Wednesday at 7:59 PM
    Interfaith Religion In Sikhism Interfaith Dialogues Wednesday at 7:50 PM
    Interfaith Anand Karaj / Lavan Love & Marriage Aug 22, 2016

3. Archived_member15

Archived_member15
    Expand Collapse

I think that this thread may be more appropriate for the interfaith dialogue part of the forum, and expect that Spnadmin might decide to move it there, however I will participate as you ask from the stance of my religion:

At a Catholic funeral (either with a Reqiuem Mass or without one), the main things to be arranged either by wish of the departed or by the bereaved is: 1) three readings from scripture 2) choice of Psalms from Old Testament 3) choice of prayers 4) choice of hymns.

And about the Requiem Mass for the dead in particular read here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Requiem

The liturgical music used in our requiem masses for the dead has had a huge influence on secular music:

The Catholic Church permits those preparing a funeral to select any passages that the departed found meaningful, or the berveaved finds to be fitting. A Catholic funeral (known as a "Requiem Mass") has three readings: 1 from the Old Testament (Jewish Tanakh), one from the Epistles or Book of Revelation and a Gospel reading.

A recommended list of suitable passages is standard practice in Catholic churches around the world, even though in theory any portion of scripture can be selected. These are the relevant passages courtesy of StJamesParish:

#2 Archived_member15, Dec 19, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  4. Archived_member15

Archived_member15
    Expand Collapse

Famous "requiems" from the Catholic funeral mass which have been transplanted into secular music include, "Pie Jesu" - most famously sing by Charlotte Church in the UK. She sung it before the late Pope John Paul II.

Here is Rutter's version:

Rutter Requiem - Pie Jesu - YouTube

Here is the wiki article about this in the Requiem Mass:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pie_Jesu

And here it is from Faure's version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&v=VWMmolrId_4

This is thus one of the ways in which Catholics have honoured our dead, through requiem music and song during our mass.

#3 Archived_member15, Dec 19, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  5. namjiwankaur

namjiwankaur
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor

Vouthon ji

I love Mozart's Requiem. It is so moving. Am I right then in assuming that Mozart was Catholic? I remember in the movie, he was writing Requiem. Was it for himself or had he been commissioned by the church to do it?

There is a lot to read here and I doubt I'll have time to do it all at once.

My mother (and me until I was in my 40s) was a member of the United Church of Christ. Our service for mom was what she had put together. It was a very moving service. People shared memories; my mom touched many people even being as shy as she was. One of the songs we sang was The Lord's Prayer.

There is a beautiful version of Psalm 23 that moves me deeply. Its Bobby McFerrin's version to the Feminine Divine. I was hoping to find a video of him doing something like Pie Jesu, but I guess he hasn't explored it, at least not yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9fzWq-d8jU

My father was Catholic and I think there was a mass held for him, but my sister and I arranged a service in the chapel of our UCC church. We were raised in the UCC. My dad didn't go to church until after my mother died.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Archived_member15

Archived_member15
    Expand Collapse

• Like Like x 1
  7. namjiwankaur

namjiwankaur
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor

Sat Nam _/|\_

Is anyone willing to share how Sikh funerals are done? Is there a specific format followed or is there flexibility?

Or any of the other religions? I remember a few years ago when a fallen soldier was given a somewhat Buddhist memorial.

One question I had came up when I watched the movie about the seniors who end up in a hotel in India. When one of the seniors dies, he is cremated. Maybe members from India can share more about Hindu funerals. I know they cremate. Who does the cremating? Is it similar to the crematoriums in the west or done differently.

I guess I might be appearing somewhat morbid, but I learned from the memorial service that it is so important to be respectful of diversity and how a person's religion honors, celebrates and mourns their dead.