• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Interfaith Marriage - Muslim & Sikh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fordo

SPNer
Sep 16, 2006
The general actions of muslim men in the past and present reflect this.
never judge a religion by the action of its followers.
I know a Sikh who have eloped with a Muslim man's wife.how willy ou react if I say Sikhism encourages adultery/extra-marital affairs?

anyways,I got some qs.
are there more Muslim women marrying Sikhs than Muslim men marrying sikhs?from what I heard its the first.I heard its happening a lot.is it true?

makkanz

SPNer
Feb 2, 2007
i think the key thing is that you cant relate the actions of the people to the religion. A lot has happened in my life in the last few days. Things have turned to custard. My true love's family has got involved and cut us off. I am getting very suicidal ... i cant live without her ... no contact for 4 days ... family monitoring all channels of communication ... what do i do? They only care about what they think is right for her ... what they want for her ... not what she wants ... dont care about what she really wants ... how can people be so cruel and force them in their own image ... what about what she wants??? why does that not matter?? this is so so terrible ... and unfair

makkanz

SPNer
Feb 2, 2007
i cant live without her. I love her ... what do i do? i have been abused .. i have been threatened .... is this how you people deal with these issues?

gurc

SPNer
Jan 10, 2007
Singapore
Very sorry that you have threatened and abused, but do understand the family will be worried, since there is a lot new on Muslims trying to convert the Sikh/Hindu girls. I think this is generally reaction in Asian family.

Jul 10, 2006
i cant live without her. I love her ... what do i do? i have been abused .. i have been threatened .... is this how you people deal with these issues?

Makkanz, I dont understand you. To put it bluntly, you are going on about it like a cry baby! and on a Sikh forum!.

If "you cant live without her" as you put it and as you are on a Sikh forum, personally, I think you could try and accept the Sikh faith or at least learn about it. A start is here on this forum, learn about gurbani, learn about Sikh history. Why dont you read a book on Sikhi. See the link: http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sikh-sikhi-sikhism/5634-gurbani-our-spiritual-guru-guru-our.html

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Definition of Sikh
Ariticle 1
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Any human being who faithfully believes in
[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](i) One Immortal Being,
(ii) Ten Gurus, from Guru Nanak Dev to Guru Gobind Singh,
(iii) The Guru Granth Sahib,
(iv) The utterances and teachings of the ten Gurus and
(v)the baptism bequeathed by the tenth Guru, and who does not owe allegiance to any other religion, is a Sikh.
[/FONT]

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
Makanz,

Life is all about learning. There is a big lesson for you to learn here. Stick to your own kind.

Ishminder

SPNer
Aug 12, 2006
It depends on who you want to listen to. If you stick to only the Guru Granth Sahib Ji then since we are all one from that being it is ok to marry outside of caste, religion, etc... If you look at it from a sikh rehat maryada or dasam granth perspective then only inside your religion. Kind of funny how they want to be one but are different in views. Do what you feel right and always remember that one god.

Nadeem

SPNer
Mar 8, 2007
United Kingdom
As a Muslim of Punjabi descent, I have never regarded Sikhs as 'others' but as a continuation of my own ancestry and heritage. Consequently, I think the 'question' of Muslim-Sikh marriages is simply a non-starter. I have nothing against Sikhs marrying outside their faith but I do worry if it leads to the premature rejection of Sikh religious and spiritual values. There are many examples in history of Muslims who truly and deeply are at one with the teachings of the Gurus.

Nadeem

SPNer
Mar 8, 2007
United Kingdom
As a Muslim of Punjabi descent, I do not regard Sikhs as 'others' but as a continuation of the one same light that is mentioned in the Holy Quran. The teachings of Babaji Guru Nanak are a Light for both Muslims and Hindus. Instead of pointing fingers at each other, let us rejoice on the profoundity of what actually makes us similar.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
As a Muslim of Punjabi descent, I do not regard Sikhs as 'others' but as a continuation of the one same light that is mentioned in the Holy Quran. The teachings of Babaji Guru Nanak are a Light for both Muslims and Hindus. Instead of pointing fingers at each other, let us rejoice on the profoundity of what actually makes us similar.

if punjabi muslims do not regards sikhs as others then why muslims in england harrass sikh girls?

Nadeem

SPNer
Mar 8, 2007
United Kingdom
Well, if any Punjabi Muslims are, quoting your own words "harassing" Sikh women, then they would be, following the logic of the argument, "harrassing" their own. But even if we don't accept the fact that the division between people of different faiths varies according to time and place, there is hardly any genuine Punjabi Muslim that I know who either "harasses" or "looks down" on any woman let alone any Sikhni, Hindni or Musulmani. The whole argument is fallacious and conjectural. I think it is much better to reflect on the damage done to genuine inter-faith relations by sheer calumny and community hatred than it is to churn out completely inconsequential statements about "others" and "us". In the end we only degrade ourselves.

Punjabis, whether Muslim, Hindu or Sikh share a common bond of brotherhood and sisterhood no matter what the fanatics and fundamentalists of each community incorrectly believes. All the rest is amateur politics of the worst kind.

Fordo

SPNer
Sep 16, 2006
Makkanz ofcourse Sikh-Muslim marriage can happen as long as the guy is Sikh!lol!anyways its natural people are always afraid of extinction.and generally kids retain the religion of their fathers most of the time,so don't expect encouragement from here.
BTW,can you give me stats about the harassment stories?

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
Well, if any Punjabi Muslims are, quoting your own words "harassing" Sikh women, then they would be, following the logic of the argument, "harrassing" their own. But even if we don't accept the fact that the division between people of different faiths varies according to time and place, there is hardly any genuine Punjabi Muslim that I know who either "harasses" or "looks down" on any woman let alone any Sikhni, Hindni or Musulmani. The whole argument is fallacious and conjectural.

Not at all, even the Police in the U.K. are aware of this problem of muslim men, mostly of Pakistani descent abusing Sikh girls. I'm in London, it is not uncommon. All a **** has to do is see a kara on a girl some start harrassing the girl if she is vulnerable (i.e. alone). This has been going on for years.

I think it is much better to reflect on the damage done to genuine inter-faith relations by sheer calumny and community hatred than it is to churn out completely inconsequential statements about "others" and "us". In the end we only degrade ourselves.

The people degrading themselves the most are the muslims who go so low and actually do this thinking they are advancing the cause of Allah. To much Quran, not enough thinking? Plus I consider myself Sikh, I don't feel I have anything in common with Muslims, even/especially Panjabi ones. They are a world apart in their outlook, attitudes and beliefs. I think I have more in common with your average Anglo-Saxon than a muslim.

Punjabis, whether Muslim, Hindu or Sikh share a common bond of brotherhood and sisterhood no matter what the fanatics and fundamentalists of each community incorrectly believes. All the rest is amateur politics of the worst kind.

See above point. Most Sikhs I know wouldn't like a musla anywhere near their families, especially girls....

The issues are not "amateur politics" but reality. But I don't expect any less from people who make a schizo marauding ******* their prophet.

Nadeem

SPNer
Mar 8, 2007
United Kingdom
Dear DalSingh Ji,

I would imagine that fundamentalists everywhere explain their singular viewpoint on other communities/faiths in pretty much similar fashion - it goes with the territory and is not without very serious problems. Your experience of 'Punjabi Muslims' must remain your own personal experience - but it neither prooves nor disproves the argument you wish to make. My point, which is not based on "personal experiences" as such has more to do with philosophy and Sikh spirituality. Baba Nanak Ji's close Muslim companion Mardana still has descendants today who call themselves 'Sikh-Muslims' - which is understandable if you take enough care to examine the associations in depth. I have elsewhere written about Islamic fundamentalism specifically but that is not the topic of this discussion. I believe your reference to a "schizo marauding" can only be understood in terms of your own personal experiences but why you would want to elevate your personal experiences over and above Baba Nanak's teachings, is beyond me.

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
Nadeem,

No disrespect but you clearly highlight the problem with the muslim community i.e. mass denial. Some seriously warped stuff is being done globally by Muslims so I think you should concentrating on making them behave even partially civilised towards the rest of the world before telling Sikhs what their religion stands for based on your own perspective.

In Panjabi they say "clear the mess underneath your own bed before you tell others"

I disagree with your assumptions anyway. I think the fundementalists really have got a good gist of what Islam was about under its founder, they are just following suit and trying to drag all of us back to medievel Arabia.

Your point about Mardana is what? He would have been an unknown mirasi was it not for Guru Nanak Dev Ji. Again he wasn't exactly an orthodox guy himself, being a musician. Besides his descendants (or people claiming to be) are still living of that association to this day as you point out.

You really need to ask questions in your own community about perversion and a cowardly misuse of holy war. Leave us Sikhs alone, we will do our own reflecting and adapt as we always have.

Nadeem

SPNer
Mar 8, 2007
United Kingdom
Dear Dalsingh Ji,

Firstly, I am not "telling Sikhs what their religion stands for" - but simply expressing my deep appreciation for, as much as I know, the wisdom of their teachings. There is simply no reason for you to get so upset. Secondly, Mardana may have been a Mirasi (low caste person) but that did not exclude him from Baba Nanak Ji's companionship - indeed, it is my understanding that Baba Nanak Ji accepted both Muslims and Hindus, regardless of caste. Perhaps you have overlooked Baba Nanak's teaching on caste? Thirdly, as I am not a fundamentalist or someone who is preaching Islam I am under no obligation to clear the mess created by fanatics. They will pay the price for the mess they create themselves.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
dear nadeem

if hindu , muslims and sikhs could co exists it would have been a great thing
but this is just a dream.it was majority of muslims that opted for separate country in 1947.jinnah promised that minorities will be safe and pakistan
will be a sceuler country but what happened ,pakistan become a fanartic muslim country.the same thing happened with bangladesh where sheikh mujibur rehman promised that he will make bangladesh a seculer country but today hindu population is declining.on the other hand india remained largely seculer muslim population in india is increasing they have separate personal
laws.though rss always spread venom against muslims but still majority of
hindu's do not support rss that's why bjp never able to gain majority on its own.

so the truth is that majority of muslims always supported fundamentalism that's why you have fundamental goverments in muslim majority country.on the
hand liberal muslims like you always want to deny that islam is religion of fundamentals.so accept the truth.

Nadeem

SPNer
Mar 8, 2007
United Kingdom
Dear Kds1980,

In your post you write as follows: "if hindu, muslims and sikhs could co exist it would have been a great thing but this is just a dream". Are you suggesting that the teachings of Baba Nanak Ji are "simple dreams"?

You also wrote (above) the following: "liberal muslims like you always want to deny that islam is religion of fundamentals. so accept the truth". Can you see the connection between both of your statements? To my understanding, a liberal is not in denial of fundamentalism as much as is a non-religious person who uses deferral by emphasizing the differences between people of different faiths. Its a classic argument but one that flies in the face of the greatest spiritual teachings of the subcontinent. The real question is actually not about 'liberal denial' as much as it is about secular deferral.

Nadeem

SPNer
Mar 8, 2007
United Kingdom
Dear Kaur-Ji,

I am not in a better position to teach anyone about Baba Nanak's teachings; rather, I see myself as someone who would like to learn from those who share the same love and enthusiasm. I have read a little about Baba Nanak Ji's teachings and found them to be truly inspirational.As for your scepticism, I cannot really say - you are certainly in a much better position than myself to explain, more fully, your reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: