• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Interfaith Marriage - Muslim & Sikh

Status
Not open for further replies.

MKAUR1981

SPNer
Aug 24, 2006
Makkanz

Basically, you are both going against your faith.

As I said before if you marry a Sikh, your marriage will not be vaild in Islam.

In Sikhism, a Sikh should marry a Sikh.

However, saying all that in the end it is up to you both. From personal experience it's not any easier for a Sikh to get married to a person of a different faith, but it tends to be harder when it is a Sikh-Muslim marriage. As reasons explained in my previous posts.

Hope this helps.

badmash

SPNer
Jan 25, 2007
Indeed, it is the modern age and people can, will and should do what they like. But trying to address this question without acknowldeging the fact that any person who is a {censored} and marries a muslim, and will face the ostracization of certainly some or many of the greater muslim community, is I think, a bit unrealistic and dishonest. No matter what the personal disposition is, the communal one will be different in this matter.

makkanz

SPNer
Feb 2, 2007
Yes i agree, certain elements of the community, both muslim and sikh, and probably a majority would ostracize both people in the relationship. I have no doubt about that .... but the odd thing is that it is acceptable to marry non-mulsims but not muslims and vice versa.. even though our cultures do have a large number of similarities including language, music etc etc depending on where you are from. To live in a foreign culture and for it to be acceptable to marry say christian but not a muslim? Is the christian less distant from your culture than a muslim? Maybe more accepting. I do complete agree that the impression of muslims in general is not very good at all. I believe there is a fundamental problem with the religion in that for some reason (despite its teachings) the cultures that follow it do not value women. There is a certain shallowness within muslim males in general which does indicate a lack of emotional development. I dont know why this is and i find it really holds the religion back in its acceptance. I am sorry i don't buy this conversion or kaffir view points even though they do happen. People should convert (from one religion to another) only if that religion matches their values and beliefs. Conversion for the sake of acceptance or to be saved is the wrong reason. I am not saying it doesn't help, but i am asking, are you really being true to yourself?Then there is the topic of children. Very complicated, i have a belief that in a mixed marriage, all children should be brought up to understand at least both religions and then make a choice when they are ready. Most religions do not have contrary beliefs in what they teach you about life. It is only when you start looking at history and events in that religion then there is a difference.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
dear makkanz

at present you are quite seculer in beleif.but what if in future you want to follow islam strickly or the girl want to follow sikhism strickly.then obvoiusly there will be differences.

Dimitri

SPNer
May 4, 2006
My 2cents worth on this -

if the girl wants to marry then that is it. she knows about ur faith and if its not a concern for her then what is the issue.

this whole thing about i am not asking her to convert to islam or to whatever other faith happens to be in interfaith marriage is really of minimal importance in my opinion - cause u know about eachothers faiths when u meet and as your relationship developed it was off no concern to her and to you.
The real point of concern is kids - what they gonna be. you and your family will drag to one set of view point and she will do the same - presuming that both of you are religiously minded. so i actually think its better if she converts. in sense your marriage life will be happy. u guys wont have issues coming up and bothering you later on in life.
seen it happen - its just sound very cool we will follow our own faiths and it is ok till u have kids and they hear conflicting stories from grandparents.
My response presumes both of u are religious and it will be big part in your future life. if its not the case then why worry. if one of you doesn't really care or not that bothered about religion then its ok. just go for it.

makkanz

SPNer
Feb 2, 2007
We have agreed the kids will be sikh. I am not strongly religious and as long as the kids have good values and morals, to me that is the most important thing. I have started learning about her background and beliefs so i can understand better. And also because it is important to her.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
dear makkanz just read the following.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Police protect girls forced to convert to Islam | the Daily Mail

Extremist Muslims who force vulnerable teenage girls to convert to Islam are being targeted by police, Met chief Sir Ian Blair has revealed.

Police are working with universities to clamp down on "aggressive conversions" during which girls are beaten up and forced to abandon university courses.

• Muslim pupils 'need their own showers'

The Hindu Forum of Britain claims hundreds of mostly Sikh and Hindu girls have been intimidated by Muslim men who take them out on dates before terrorising them until they convert.

Sir Ian spoke about the problem at a conference organised by the forum.

A Met spokesman said: "Neighbourhood officers work with university authorities in London and we would encourage anyone targeted in this way to seek help and support and where necessary use third party reporting facilities if they do not want to contact police directly."

Ramesh Kallidai, of the Hindu Forum of Britain, said: "Some girls are petrified because they are constantly being phoned up, having their door knocked.

"One girl was beaten up on the street and others have been forced to leave university."

• Met police chiefs are to review a controversial stop-and-search power used in the fight against terrorism. Assistant commissioner Andy Hayman, the overall head of Britain's anti-terrorist operations, said he had concerns about the number of stops carried out in London using Section 44 legislation
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
earlier you were asking here why marriage's between muslims and other religions are not excepted.now tell me are christian fundamentalists converting girls of other religions the answer is no.are sikh fundamentalist doing this , no.are hindu fundamentalist doing this,no.only muslim fundamentalists are doing this so after reading these types of news please tell me how could sensible parents give their daughter's hand to a muslim

makkanz

SPNer
Feb 2, 2007
Mulim fundamentalists/militants are hated by others and muslims alike. religion is normally just an excuse used by these people for their own gains. At the moment, muslims are the main culprits and are getting the most attention. The most evil things are usually done in the name of religion and all religions are guilty of it. Why? Because those who exercise religion are people. And people by their very nature are flawed .... you only have to look at what is happening in the world today and see ... there is a lot of evil in this world and it hides behind a lot of things ... including religion

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Mulim fundamentalists/militants are hated by others and muslims alike. religion is normally just an excuse used by these people for their own gains. At the moment, muslims are the main culprits and are getting the most attention. The most evil things are usually done in the name of religion and all religions are guilty of it. Why? Because those who exercise religion are people. And people by their very nature are flawed .... you only have to look at what is happening in the world today and see ... there is a lot of evil in this world and it hides behind a lot of things ... including religion

i don't think it is true that muslim fundamentalists are hated by majority of other muslim.recentle there was a survey about british muslims aged between 16 to 25. 33% of them that anybody who leaves islam should be executed.
now 33% is not a small population.if the survey is really accurate then something is seriously wrong with british muslims.

makkanz

SPNer
Feb 2, 2007
should be executed???? I am amazed ... i am not saying your facts are wrong ... all i am saying is that anyone thinking taht somone should be killed for leaving their religion ... is surely a little deranged ...

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
We have agreed the kids will be sikh. I am not strongly religious and as long as the kids have good values and morals, to me that is the most important thing. I have started learning about her background and beliefs so i can understand better. And also because it is important to her.

now back to your topic.today you are quite liberal but are you sure that in future you will remain liberal.6 years ago i was not much religious but today i am and in future i don't know whether i will be religious or not.so if in future you become orthodox then what?my point here is that our views changes with time and situation.

also will your parents accept that there grandchildren will be sikhs?

makkanz

SPNer
Feb 2, 2007
our views are also quite often shaped by our partners and our love for them. I am a very gentle and caring person and hurting my partner would hurt me more ....good points about parents and the answer is pbbly not. They will not accept that ... but at the same time ... they should and will accept that i am happy and living a happy life ...

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London

Not trying to be disrespectful but that may be a cop out. From what I understand Mohammad in his own life executed prisoners. Allowed the wives of his enemies to be taken as sex slaves and slaves. Attacked other nations (i.e. Persians) who refused to convert. Decreed that those who left teh faith should be killed. Is this true Makkanz?

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
dear makkanz

yesterday an 18 year old sikh girl from u.k. has joined this site her id is. SS0606.she has written that how she and her friends are constantly harrassed by muslims in university.please read her story in the following link.

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sikh-...ggressive-conversion-targetted-by-cops-2.html

now honestly tell us after reading so many stories of sikh girls harrased by muslims.do you still think that sikhs should trust muslims?

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
Put simply Makanz. Your "prophets" background is shifty in so many ways. Your people aren't making the best reputation for themselves on a global scale.

Years ago when I was at university I often encountered muslims who were keen to "discuss" their religion. They gave me much reading material...I'll tell you plainly what conclusion I came too after meeting and debating with them and reading their material. Islam is not very positive for nonMuslims. And I'm restraining myself here. The general actions of muslim men in the past and present reflect this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM