• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Importance Of Hair: Is It Mentioned Anywhere In Sri Guru Granth Sahib?

gagans

SPNer
Nov 13, 2008
IS IMPORTANCE OF HAIR MENTIONED ANYWHERE IN SRI GURU GRANTH SAHIB??

I DO UNDERSTAND THE IMPORTANCE OF 5 "K"s FOR A KHALSA. BUT FOR BEING A TRUE SIKH, IS THERE MENTION OF TRIMMING OF HAIR IN SRI GURU GRANTH SAHIB?

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
IS IMPORTANCE OF HAIR MENTIONED ANYWHERE IN SRI GURU GRANTH SAHIB??

I DO UNDERSTAND THE IMPORTANCE OF 5 "K"s FOR A KHALSA. BUT FOR BEING A TRUE SIKH, IS THERE MENTION OF TRIMMING OF HAIR IN SRI GURU GRANTH SAHIB?

Gagans ji,
I am giving a few Vaakas from SGGS Ji in which “hair” are discussed but remember, there is no direct instruction to have hair uncut or cut in all examples, in these Vakas,“show off” of worldly religious made up styles( with or without hair) are questioned in context of keeping purity of mind and removing filth of ego to be in love with the Lord.

ਪੰਨਾ 155, ਸਤਰ 18
ਮੂੰਡਿ ਮੁੰਡਾਇਐ ਜੇ ਗੁਰੁ ਪਾਈਐ ਹਮ ਗੁਰੁ ਕੀਨੀ ਗੰਗਾਤਾ ਤ੍ਰਿਭਵਣ ਤਾਰਣਹਾਰੁ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਏਕੁ ਚੇਤਸਿ ਅੰਧਾਤਾ
If great God is gained by having one's head shaved at the Ganges, I have already made Great God my Ganges( Here tr. Is in correct, instead of Great God, it should be Guru). The one lord is the saviour of the three worlds. The blind man remembers Him not.
ਪੰਨਾ 730, ਸਤਰ 11
ਜੋਗੁ ਖਿੰਥਾ ਜੋਗੁ ਡੰਡੈ ਜੋਗੁ ਭਸਮ ਚੜਾਈਐ ਜੋਗੁ ਮੁੰਦੀ ਮੂੰਡਿ ਮੁਡਾਇਐ ਜੋਗੁ ਸਿੰਙੀ ਵਾਈਐ ਅੰਜਨ ਮਾਹਿ ਨਿਰੰਜਨਿ ਰਹੀਐ ਜੋਗ ਜੁਗਤਿ ਇਵ ਪਾਈਐ
Yoga is not in the patched coat, nor the Yoga is in staff, nor Yoga is in smearing the body with ashes Yoga consists not ear-rings, or in shaven head and Yoga not even in the blowing of horn Abide pure amidst the worldly impurities, Thus shalt thou find the way to Yoga.
ਪੰਨਾ 952, ਸਤਰ 8
ਸਲੋਕ ਮਃ ਨਾ ਸਤਿ ਦੁਖੀਆ ਨਾ ਸਤਿ ਸੁਖੀਆ ਨਾ ਸਤਿ ਪਾਣੀ ਜੰਤ ਫਿਰਹਿ ਨਾ ਸਤਿ ਮੂੰਡ ਮੁਡਾਈ ਕੇਸੀ ਨਾ ਸਤਿ ਪੜਿਆ ਦੇਸ ਫਿਰਹਿ
Slok 1st Guru. There is no perfection through suffering, no perfection through peace and no perfection by wandering like the animals in water. The True Lord is attained not by shaving off the head-hair, nor is the True Lord obtained by reading or journeying through the country. ਪੰਨਾ 1013, ਸਤਰ 5
ਮੂੰਡੁ ਮੁਡਾਇ ਜਟਾ ਸਿਖ ਬਾਧੀ ਮੋਨਿ ਰਹੈ ਅਭਿਮਾਨਾ ਮਨੂਆ ਡੋਲੈ ਦਹ ਦਿਸ ਧਾਵੈ ਬਿਨੁ ਰਤ ਆਤਮ ਗਿਆਨਾ
Some shave their heads, some keep matted-locks, some wear hair-tufts and some through pride remain silent( Tr. is not correct, it means they feel proud of doing all this). But without the love of Divine knowledge, their mind wavers and wanders in ten directions,
ਕਬੀਰ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਇਕ ਸਿਉ ਕੀਏ ਆਨ ਦੁਬਿਧਾ ਜਾਇ ਭਾਵੈ ਲਾਂਬੇ ਕੇਸ ਕਰੁ ਭਾਵੈ ਘਰਰਿ ਮੁਡਾਇ ੨੫ (SGGS1365)
O Kabir, the worldly love departs by loving the One Lord. It matters not, whether thou wear long hair or whether thou shave thy head clean.
ਪੰਨਾ 1369, ਸਤਰ 16
ਕਬੀਰ ਮਨੁ ਮੂੰਡਿਆ ਨਹੀ ਕੇਸ ਮੁੰਡਾਏ ਕਾਂਇ ਜੋ ਕਿਛੁ ਕੀਆ ਸੋ ਮਨ ਕੀਆ ਮੂੰਡਾ ਮੂੰਡੁ ਅਜਾਂਇ ੧੦੧
Kabir, thou have shaved not thy mind, why shave thou thy hair. Whatever is done that is done by the mind, so vain is thy shaving the head.

At another place, Lord is expressed to have long hair
ਸੁਪ੍ਰਸੰਨ ਭਏ ਕੇਸਵਾ ਸੇ ਜਨ ਹਰਿ ਗੁਣ ਗਾਹਿ (SGGS Ji 203)
The persons who sing His praises, the beautifully long haired God is very much pleased with them.

Note All translation is not perfect, I tried to add notes where I could..

[/FONT]

Here's another shabad from Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji that mentions hair.

BHAIRAO, FIFTH MEHL: The Naam, the Name of the Lord, is the Inner-knower of my heart. The Naam is so useful to me. The Lord.s Name permeates each and every hair of mine. The Perfect True Guru has given me this gift. || 1 || ang 1144

The Guru whose hukam was Sikhs must keep hair uncut is the same Guru who told us Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji is our next Guru.

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA

BHAIRAO, FIFTH MEHL: The Naam, the Name of the Lord, is the Inner-knower of my heart. The Naam is so useful to me. The Lord.s Name permeates each and every hair of mine. The Perfect True Guru has given me this gift. || 1 || ang 1144

quote]

ਭੈਰਉ ਮਹਲਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਹਮਾਰੈ ਅੰਤਰਜਾਮੀ ਨਾਮੁ ਹਮਾਰੈ ਆਵੈ ਕਾਮੀ ਰੋਮਿ ਰੋਮਿ ਰਵਿਆ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪੂਰੈ ਕੀਨੋ ਦਾਨੁ
Bhairo 5th Guru. God's Name is the lnner-knower of my heart. The Name of is avail unto me. God's Name is permeating every hair of mine. The Perfect True Guru has given it to me in charity.
ਹਮਾਰੈ = ਮੇਰੇ ਹਿਰਦੇ ਵਿਚ, ਮੇਰੇ ਵਾਸਤੇਅੰਤਰਜਾਮੀ = ਹਰੇਕ ਦੇ ਦਿਲ ਦੀ ਜਾਣਨ ਵਾਲਾਆਵੈ ਕਾਮੀ = ਕੰਮ ਆਉਂਦਾ ਹੈ, ਹਰੇਕ ਕੰਮ ਸਵਾਰਦਾ ਹੈਰੋਮਿ ਰੋਮਿ = ਹਰੇਕ ਰੋਮ ਵਿਚਰਵਿਆ = ਰਚ ਗਿਆ ਹੈਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪੂਰੈ = ਪੂਰੇ ਗੁਰੂ ਨੇ

ਹੇ ਭਾਈ! ਪੂਰੇ ਗੁਰੂ ਨੇ ਮੈਨੂੰ (ਹਰਿ-ਨਾਮ ਰਤਨ ਦਾ) ਦਾਨ ਦਿੱਤਾ ਹੈ, (ਹੁਣ) ਸਭ ਦੇ ਦਿਲ ਦੀ ਜਾਣਨ ਵਾਲੇ ਹਰੀ ਦਾ ਨਾਮ ਮੇਰੇ ਹਿਰਦੇ ਵਿਚ ਵੱਸ ਰਿਹਾ ਹੈ, ਹਰਿ-ਨਾਮ ਮੇਰੇ ਸਾਰੇ ਕੰਮ ਸਵਾਰ ਰਿਹਾ ਹੈ, (ਗੁਰੂ ਦੀ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਨਾਲ) ਹਰਿ-ਨਾਮ ਮੇਰੇ ਰੋਮ ਰੋਮ ਵਿਚ ਵੱਸ ਪਿਆ ਹੈ
ਰੋਮਿ ਰੋਮਿ = ਹਰੇਕ ਰੋਮ ਵਿਚ which means completely,
Lord doesn’t permeate only in Hair and Guru ji is not saying so either, He is in all over, so to give importance to hair by saying He permeates in hair is to cripple the vast application of this idiom” rom rom vich rachna= to be in completely/fully, that is what Guru Message says.
It is an idiomatic expression which means “to be completely, fully”. Here, “hair” has no meaning at its own. It means that the name of the Lord is in me all over.
To understand it, there is another idiom” vaal vaal(hair to hair) bach gyaa= means he is saved without having any injury , here we cannot say” Vaal” means hair and his all hair are saved. Kindly go after the idiomatic expression as they are intended to use to pass on meaning instead of sticking to one word’s literal meaning:)

Re: Importance of hair mentioned anywhere in sri guru granth sahib??

quote]

ਭੈਰਉ ਮਹਲਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਹਮਾਰੈ ਅੰਤਰਜਾਮੀ ਨਾਮੁ ਹਮਾਰੈ ਆਵੈ ਕਾਮੀ ਰੋਮਿ ਰੋਮਿ ਰਵਿਆ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪੂਰੈ ਕੀਨੋ ਦਾਨੁ
Bhairo 5th Guru. God's Name is the lnner-knower of my heart. The Name of is avail unto me. God's Name is permeating every hair of mine. The Perfect True Guru has given it to me in charity.
ਹਮਾਰੈ = ਮੇਰੇ ਹਿਰਦੇਵਿਚ, ਮੇਰੇ ਵਾਸਤੇਅੰਤਰਜਾਮੀ = ਹਰੇਕ ਦੇ ਦਿਲ ਦੀ ਜਾਣਨ ਵਾਲਾਆਵੈ ਕਾਮੀ = ਕੰਮਆਉਂਦਾ ਹੈ, ਹਰੇਕ ਕੰਮ ਸਵਾਰਦਾ ਹੈਰੋਮਿ ਰੋਮਿ = ਹਰੇਕ ਰੋਮ ਵਿਚਰਵਿਆ = ਰਚ ਗਿਆਹੈਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪੂਰੈ = ਪੂਰੇ ਗੁਰੂ ਨੇ

ਹੇਭਾਈ! ਪੂਰੇ ਗੁਰੂ ਨੇ ਮੈਨੂੰ (ਹਰਿ-ਨਾਮ ਰਤਨ ਦਾ) ਦਾਨ ਦਿੱਤਾ ਹੈ, (ਹੁਣ) ਸਭ ਦੇ ਦਿਲਦੀ ਜਾਣਨ ਵਾਲੇ ਹਰੀ ਦਾ ਨਾਮ ਮੇਰੇ ਹਿਰਦੇ ਵਿਚ ਵੱਸ ਰਿਹਾ ਹੈ, ਹਰਿ-ਨਾਮ ਮੇਰੇ ਸਾਰੇਕੰਮ ਸਵਾਰ ਰਿਹਾ ਹੈ, (ਗੁਰੂ ਦੀ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਨਾਲ) ਹਰਿ-ਨਾਮ ਮੇਰੇ ਰੋਮ ਰੋਮ ਵਿਚ ਵੱਸ ਪਿਆਹੈ
ਰੋਮਿ ਰੋਮਿ = ਹਰੇਕ ਰੋਮ ਵਿਚ which means completely,
Lord doesn’t permeate only in Hair and Guru ji is not saying so either, He is in all over, so to give importance to hair by saying He permeates in hair is to cripple the vast application of this idiom” rom rom vich rachna= to be in completely/fully, that is what Guru Message says.
It is an idiomatic expression which means “to be completely, fully”. Here, “hair” has no meaning at its own. It means that the name of the Lord is in me all over.
To understand it, there is another idiom” vaal vaal(hair to hair) bach gyaa= means he is saved without having any injury , here we cannot say” Vaal” means hair and his all hair are saved. Kindly go after the idiomatic expression as they are intended to use to pass on meaning instead of sticking to one word’s literal meaning:)

PK70 ji, I completely understand this shabad, but thanks for going into depth.:)

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Singh ji I was trying to explain this to you in the other thread:

Thanks pk70 ji. Good stuff.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM