• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Impertinent Questions

Mary McCoy

SPNer
Feb 15, 2007
Seattle,USA
I am not a youth, far too old for that:( and Iam not Sikh, but I have been studying Sikhism on line for nearly a year. As I have been studying, a few questions have occurred to me that I can't seem to find answers to. :confused:

My questions probably seem silly, and I know that they totally miss the point of Sikhism, but I really do want to know.:unsure:

1. Do you wear a kirpan in bed?
  2. Do you shower/bathe wearing kechera? And if, married, when...? To both, if so, how?
  3. Do Khalsa drink tea, coffee, soda, etc., that contain caffeine, which is a mood-altering addictive drug/mood altering substance?
  4. Do Khalsa take narcotic pain killers after surgery, severe accident, etc.
  5. Why do you use the Christian term 'baptism' for taking amrit?
I hope these questions aren't rude or too stupid. But I have been thinking about all of them.:eek:

Thank you.

Mary

----------------------------------------

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Welcome friend. I will try to answers as per best of my information. Please feel free to ask more questions, as it clears our understanding as well.

Do you wear a kirpan in bed?
>>> Sikhs wearing 5Ks keep those on them all the time.

Do you shower/bathe wearing kechera? And if, married, when...? To both, if so, how?
>>> The 5Ks are on the body all the time. When we go into details of how, then it has potential to become a mindless ritual.

Do Khalsa drink tea, coffee, soda, etc., that contain caffeine, which is a mood-altering addictive drug/mood altering substance?
>>> Tobacco (extending to addictive drugs) are totally prohibited. Unfortunately, some sikhs have found a loophole by saying that tobacco is prohibited, but liquor or other things are not. This has made a general perception of Indian sikhs as heavy drinkers. As you know, for some ppl, religion is something suited to own apetite. And for others, religion is something commanded by Guru.

Do Khalsa take narcotic pain killers after surgery, severe accident, etc.
>>> I think, anything taken as a medicine is acceptable. Not as an addiction though. I know some ppl even refuse to take those pain killers too due to their commitment.

Why do you use the Christian term 'baptism' for taking amrit?
>>> With many Indian sikhs trying to blend with western world, lot of terms were picked up from English langauge. As you noticed and i agree strongly, ppl do not use exact terms, or perhaps those do not exist in another language. In my view, some examples of wrong equations are: Amrit and Baptism, Kara and Bangle, Kirpan and dagger/knife, Kachera and underpants, Guru Granth Sahib and Holy Bible and so on...

If you go into more details of a few words in above example, those are MUCH more than their equivalent translations.

I hope these questions aren't rude or too stupid. But I have been thinking about all of them.:eek:
>>> Any question with a desire to learn is not rude/stupid. So pls keep coming back :)

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa
Waheguru ki ki Fateh

Regards, Arvind.

Mary McCoy

SPNer
Feb 15, 2007
Seattle,USA
Some more impertinent questions. I have been reading all about Hola Mohalla and I am especially interested in the Nihangs. I read that they use a lot of bhang, which is marijuana. That is definitely an intoxicant.
  1. Do they always eat it and not smoke it? :}--}: (Not angry, just smoking)
  2. Would that make a difference?
  3. Do they use that 'it's not tobacco' loophole to make it OK to use it or do they have special rules that don't apply to other Sikhs?
And on a slighly different subject, I heard someone refer to a "fundamentalist Sikh" when talking about Nihangs. What on earth is a "fundamentalist Sikh"?:{-:)

Again, I am looking for information, not trying to be offensive.​

Thank you.:up:

Mary​

Mary McCoy

SPNer
Feb 15, 2007
Seattle,USA
I got no answer to my questions about drugs and Nihangs, but I came across this in a Yahoo! Group called Gurbani Learning Zone and thought to post it.

Respectable Sikh Cyber Fellows,

I agree with Balbinder Singh and Jespal Singh, the well-wishers
of the Guru Panth Globally. In the light of Gurbaani teachings
enshrined in the Guru Granth Sahib, and the Sikh Way of Living
explained in the Sikh Reht Maryada (1945, SGPC), No Sikh whether
any Nihang, Farmer, Professor, Scholar, Poor or Wealthy should
consume/use any such intoxicants.

Serious notice should be taken by the SGPC and Jathedaars if any
Nihang is found to be using such dangerous/prohibited products.
But experience is otherwise because they hardly take any action
against such persons. But we must condemn their unSikhi behaviour.

Gurmit Singh (Sydney)
If that is correct, it answers my first questions.

But the last remains. What on earth is a 'fundamentalist Sikh'?

And Arvind, I forgot to thank you for your earlier answers.::cool:: So thank you.

Mary

Deepie

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
wjkk wjkf

i have a question.. i have only seen men wear cholley with and witout pyamas underneath.. but i hav never seen women wear cholley before.. :s can women not where cholley? .. if yes, can somebody show me some pic Plss.. :)

-Deppie

ps: i didnt know how to make a new topic, so i put ma question here .. sorry for that

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: