• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

IIM Amritsar Mostly Has Youth With Shorn Hair In Its Photos ?

Seeker2013

Writer
SPNer
Aug 29, 2013
When I came to knew of an upcoming Indian Institute of Management coming up in heartland of both punjab and sikhism - Amritsar, I was very excited, but my excitement was shortlived when I saw the group photos on their website

In the mecca of sikhism , you would be expecting a batch photo with predominant turbans on every guy's head , or most of guy's head.
Out of some odd 50 male heads, I could see turban on only 2 of them !

Where on earth are rest of turbaned heads ? not studying in top institutes ?
we're not leaders of tomorrow's punjab ?

I wonder this is how much of deep muck sikh diaspora is in . Its really saddening and scary and forces us to question where the qaum is heading to.
Have we foresaken punjab in lieu of Canada, UK, US , Austalia ?
I wonder how many of those with shorn heads are from sikh families or are they hindu ?

Imagine jews being a dominant force in mecca .
Imagine muslims being a dominant force in Kashi.
Imagine non-christian dominance in vatican

but oh , hindus already dominating amritsar.

:/

PS : The photos gave me goosebumps.

source :
IIM Amritsar

RD1

Writer
SPNer
Sep 25, 2016
Where on earth are rest of turbaned heads ? not studying in top institutes ?
we're not leaders of tomorrow's punjab ?

This is very sad to hear about.

There is a certain "look" associated with being a "leader" with being "successful," and this is heavily influenced by the rules of the western world - wearing a suit, being "clean cut." Disgustingly enough, wearing a turban is seen as belonging to some "backward culture." And if Sikhs themselves do not stand up for who they are, and take pride in their identity, why will anyone else?

Apparently from what I hear, there are more Sikhs in the western world who wear turbans than those in Punjab.

This is such a complex issue. Is it the years and years of persecution of Sikhs in Punjab that has led to the devaluing of the turban, of the Sikh identity? Are Sikhs not able to understand their religion and differentiate themselves from Hindus?

Imagine jews being a dominant force in mecca .
Imagine muslims being a dominant force in Kashi.
Imagine non-christian dominance in vatican

These are very good, eye-opening analogies. Maybe its because Sikhs do not have their own country, as everyone else from other major religions do. This allows Sikhs just to be swept up by Hinduism, especially since India does not even recognize Sikhism as a separate unique religion! It basically forces assimilation. Yeas and years of this assimilation, this tainting of an identity, will take a toll.

Sikhs maybe just don't seem to stand up for themselves or adhere as strongly to their religion as people from these other religions do. And when Sikhs have stood up in the past, it has been met with violence. And on top of it all, developing spirituality, is not seen as relevant in the world of today. Its just all about making money - and perhaps therefore, leaving punjab for the west. But that does not mean that Sikhs living in the west forsake their heritage.

Or maybe its because, unlike these other religions, Sikhism promotes secularism. Sikhism does not say that all must be Sikh to thrive and be pleasing to God. It is absolutely wonderful that this is a corner stone of Sikh ideology, and facilitates living in harmony with others. Yet still, that does not mean that we as Sikhs should be "held back" and not represented in images of success.

It creates a vicious cycle. When other youth do not see Sikhs with turbans represented as being leaders who can thrive and be successful, then that will deter them from wanting to wear a turban - and its not just about the turban; its about embodying this beautiful way of life our Gurus gave to us. Images are very powerful. The way Sikhs are depicted in pictures, and media have a great influence. The identity that the media carves out of a Sikh is very powerful. Media is a propaganda tool.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: