• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

I Thought Amritdari's Could Not Marry Out Of Sikhi?

a.mother

SPNer
Jun 12, 2010
Canada
What I know amritdhari cannot marry non amritdhari according to maryada. I don't want to say more spn member are very wise they know.

badshah

SPNer
May 8, 2010
On Thelangarhall.com There was big discussion on this issue .Some people claimed that this girl is not Amritdhari and even if she is then there is nothing strange in it.People have made sikhism a religion where they pick and choose
what they like while shun the other thing

Yeah this kind of back up my notion that sometimes you cannot be super strict otherwise you will not end up any where, but how ever in the circumstance of being Amritdhari then you should follow Sikh law.... anyways.........

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Yeah this kind of back up my notion that sometimes you cannot be super strict otherwise you will not end up any where, but how ever in the circumstance of being Amritdhari then you should follow Sikh law.... anyways.........

It is not about being super strict.Just take the case of meat.There is no evidence in Sikhism That it was vegetarian Religion .Yet from past 100 years it is moving crazily towards vegetarianism.So people are even imposing new restrictions in the name of sikhism

badshah

SPNer
May 8, 2010
It is not about being super strict.Just take the case of meat.There is no evidence in Sikhism That it was vegetarian Religion .Yet from past 100 years it is moving crazily towards vegetarianism.So people are even imposing new restrictions in the name of sikhism

I suppose there is evidence..... when it is not written in black and white I guess you can use the Guru's themselves as an example as to what you should and not do....... so since they did not eat meat then thats evidence to not eating meat.

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Nowhere in the SRM that I can find is marriage betwen a nonSikh and any sort of Sikh forbidden.. It is forbidden by the Gurmat Reht Maryada, followed, I believe by Damdami Taksal.

It certainly is not a very good idea for Sikhs and nonSikhjs to marry, imo and it is very difficult to keep the Khalsa vows if married to someone who is not Amritdhari. I believe it would be necessary to forgo physical marital relations, at least that is my understanding.

In the SRM definition of a Sikh, it does state that a Sikh cannot owe allegiance to any other religion.

This is my understanding. There is argument and disagreement.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
I suppose there is evidence..... when it is not written in black and white I guess you can use the Guru's themselves as an example as to what you should and not do....... so since they did not eat meat then thats evidence to not eating meat.

There is saakhi in suraj prakash That meat was distribuited in Langar at the time of second Guru,Also no one can forget that When Guru gobind singh ji
Reached the place of Banda bairagi he ordered to slaughter his goats and asked to distribuite/eat meat of them to sikhs.So again there is no clear evidence here

Also Sikhs were Guerrilla fighters in 18th century and were well known for hunting as Guerrilla warriors need to hunt and kill

Last edited:

badshah

SPNer
May 8, 2010
There is saakhi in suraj prakash That meat was distribuited in Langar at the time of second Guru,Also no one can forget that When Guru gobind singh ji
Reached the place of Banda bairagi he ordered to slaughter his goats and asked to distribuite/eat meat of them to sikhs.So again there is no clear evidence here

Also Sikhs were Guerrilla fighters in 18th century and were well known for hunting as Guerrilla warriors need to hunt and kill

Doesn't that bring in Jatka meat? If in extreme conditions you need to eat meat then you go and kill it jatka style, but otherwise you can sustain your self on vegetables..... ?

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Doesn't that bring in Jatka meat? If in extreme conditions you need to eat meat then you go and kill it jatka style, but otherwise you can sustain your self on vegetables..... ?

Yes it brings the jhatka meat .but the arguement of extreme condition is again
quite debatable. Nihang upto this day practice chatka .Are there any extreme conditions now?Tat khalsa forced bandai Khalsa to eat meat as Banda singh bahadur inducted vegetarianism in sikhism
Hari singh Nalwa killed a tiger on hunting expedition with Ranjit singh.Anyway you can read all the arguement pro and anti meat

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sikh-sikhi-sikhism/8828-fools-who-wrangle-over-flesh.html

Just conclude this discussion that anyone who will study sikhism with open mind can never say that it was a vegetarian religion.On diet sikhism was always neutral until in 20 th century so many sects who introduced fanatic vegetarianism in it.Both vegetarians and non vegetarians existed in sikhism

------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.nihangsingh.org/website/trad-jhatka.html
The meat of the goat is cooked and served as mahaparshad ‘blessed food’. There are various accounts of Sri Guru Gobind Singhs Ji themselves eating Mahapashad, including the meat of a lion;

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM