Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

I think I could hear my computer laughing at me.

Discussion in 'Interfaith Dialogues' started by Amerikaur, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Amerikaur

Amerikaur
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

My computer right now has a corruption that interferes with the local settings of several software programs that I use. I need to send it in for repair, but I have been reluctant to due so because I am loathe to be without it.

The other night, I was drove home from work in the snow in 30 degree (F) weather, which made for a long and icy commute.

I started my computer, and my little WeatherBug software program running on the task bar reminded me that at 8PM it was 30 degrees. I started to work on sone urgent matters, and while I did, the temperature started falling quickly. When I finished the material, the temperature had fallen to 20 degrees.

I took care of other things, did Simran, played with the cat and...dozed off. I went in to shut down the computer - when I noticed that the taskbar said it was 5 degrees below zero!

5 below!! We just went through an unusually ugly cold snap like that a few weeks ago! I wasn't expecting it to return? 5 below zero means when I arrive home, the inside of my nose freezes just during the walk from the car to the door.

I shuddered at the idea of greeting that kind of cold in the moring, and pondered over what to wear to work. Then, I realized that somethng was odd...I wasn't feeling the bitter drafts that only show up in subzero weather. With suspicion, I turned back to my computer.

The thermometer settings had switched over, by themselves, to Metric.

It was -5 degrees C, not -5 degrees F. -5 C means it was still 20 degrees F. Cold, yes, but not ugly.

I swear I heard laughter coming from the machine....

2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Four Hours a Day on Computers 'can double heart disease risk' Health & Nutrition Jan 12, 2011
    Sikh News Big-hearted Sikh Bikers Raise $100K To Fight Pediatric Cancer Breaking News Jul 19, 2016
    Phantom Noises Heard In The Morning Sikh Sikhi Sikhism Apr 14, 2016
    Apollo 10 Astronauts Heard Mysterious 'music' On The Dark Side Of The Moon Information Technology Feb 22, 2016
    Movies Ashdoc's movie review---In the heart of the sea 3D Theatre, Movies & Cinema Dec 9, 2015

3. nsbuttar

nsbuttar
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

nuthing happens in the box automatically. Something causes it. If you dont know what has caused it, blame it on Mr. Gates.

4. Amerikaur

Amerikaur
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Naturally, nothing happens automatically, ergo, the local settings corruption. It's a bit of a pain - so is being without any computing power at all :down:

But, I will spare Mr. Gates. This time.

This problem lies squarely with Mr. Dell. :D :D :D

5. Neutral Singh

Neutral Singh
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Supporter

LOL! I hope no kiddie messes up with your computer, when you are not at home... hmmm...

6. Amerikaur

Amerikaur
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

LOL!

A "kiddie", no, not a kiddie. Not yet, anyway.

A "kitty" though...hmm... that is possible.
    wonder if that kitty cat was after the Mouse again?? :rofl!!:

7. Arvind

Arvind
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor Supporter

That s a very calculated guess. just in case, you need some investigative services, feel free to get more details... lol :rofl!!:

8. Amerikaur

Amerikaur
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

LOL!! Thanks so much for your offer! Unfortunately, I know exactly what is causing it. Its an XP profile corruption that was caused by some (ahem) physical damage to the laptop. As a result, my local settings for a few profile-specific apps on two specific user profiles have gotten a bit...interesting, shall I say? :rofl!!:

Hopefully by next week I'll either be at a point in my work where I won't have to be on the darn thing day and night and can mail it in...or...I'll at least be at a point where I can finagle someone else's laptop. :up: