• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

I Have A Question, Yes Its A Hair One-Sorry

Neemai108

SPNer
Sep 10, 2006
Tustin, CA
Waheguruji Ka Khalsa, Waheguruji Ki Fateh
Sat Sri Akal

I have a question. Yes its a hair question. I have short hair and I cant grow it out on my face or head because I have a skin condition. Is that okay, allowed? Its something beyond my control. If I could, I would. I dont know what to do, its confusing. If my hair grows to a certain extant, i break out into rashes and my skin becomes really sensitive and irritated, infected too at times. I try to be Sikh in all other aspects, but I cant keep the Kesh part of the five kakkars. And that really makes me feel bad knowing i fall back because of this. I dont even think I can ever take Amrit because of this.
Any comments, suggestions?

----------------------------------------
----------------------------------------

Jan 17, 2007
Neemai108 ji,

Before I answer your question, Let us put Sikhism in perspective. Please bear with me.

Hair is regarded as a symbol of saintliness. Keeping hair unshorn has now become an integral part of Sikh way of Life. (Keeping hair is not just unique to Sikhism. If you look back into history you will notice that holly people generally kept their hair uncut). Why? It can be said that keeping of hair in its natural state is regarded as living in harmony with the will of God.

For a Sikh, the hair serves as an outward form of recognition of Sikh men and women. It is the way God made us. Animals are quite happy to live in their natural environment, the way God made them. As students of Sikhism it is our pledge with our Gurus to keep unshorn hair. Hair ( Kesh ) should remind the Sikhs of their equality, and removes reason for pride (Ahankar). Guru Gobind Singh Ji, in his infinite wisdom, commanded us to respect hair and refrain from tampering with it. This is the visible token of his affection for us, as well as our faith in him.
Sikhism is an evolution. We should stop teaching the lessons of a Graduate( Khalsa) to a Sikh who is trying his best to join our faith. This is the irony of Sikhism that we all, whether as Sikhs or as Khalsas or as Gurmukhs, take lessons from SGGS. It becomes very confusion where we stand. Each student will try to tell the other that they know best. I wish our Gurus had put the Bani in such an order that it would have given us a clear route of progression. Starting with Lessons for Manmukhs like me followed by Lessons for Sikhs(Sehajdharis), Lessons for The Khalsas and finally Lessons for Gurmukhs. How easy that would have been. That would have eliminated all the arguments that we face today. At present we are unable to differentiate who is who and at what stage. I respect our Gurus wisdom. They must have a reason too for otherwise. I am sure my learned friends, Sikhs , Khalsas and Gurmukhs will pounce on my manmat and put me right.

The journey to Gurmukh may be categorised as follows:

Stage 1: Manmukh (self-centeredness).
A person who is self-cantered and only thinks about himself and the material world around him and is totally oblivious to God. Those in this stage are totally oblivious to God.

Stage 2: Sikh Anyone who sets out on the path of learning and meets the specific definition of a Sikh as appears in the Reht Maryada (Official Code of Conduct). Sikh, or one who has set out on the path of learning and meets the definition of Sikh in the Reht Maryada (believes in: one immortal being, the ten gurus, the Guru Granth Sahib Ji, the utterances and teachings of the ten Gurus, the baptism of Guru Gobind Singh; doesn’t owe allegiance to any other religion)
A term which has had parallel usage in the Sikh system is Sahajdhari. A sahajdhari is not a full Sikh, but one on his way to becoming one. He is in the Guru's path, but has not yet adopted the full regalia of the faith. He fully subscribes to the philosophy of the Gurus; he does not own and believe in any other Guru or deity. His worship is the Sikh worship; only he has not yet adopted the full style of a Singh. Since he subscribed to no other form of worship or belief than the one prescribed for Sikhs, a concession was extended to him to call himself a Sikh, a Sahajdhari. Sikh is agradualist who would gradually tread the path and eventually become a full-grown Khalsa. A vast majority of us (if I may say so Neemai108 ji, the likes of you and me) fall in this category.

Stage 3: Khalsa: Total dedication to Sikhism. One who has shed his ego and personality and
Truly honours the memory of Guru Gobind Singh through his actions and deeds. Just taking Amrit does not make one a Khalsa as is the trend we see in our lives.

Stage 4: Gurmukh
One who is in his final stages to achieving Mukhti (salvation) and is totally God-cantered. He is the Saint, he is the Braham Gyani as per Sukhmani Sahib. How many fraudsters do we see in our everyday lives.
Due to ignorance, lack of resources and self pride, we often tend to forget that the path our Gurus intended for us. There is a very scientific reason behind it Sikhism, Sikh Philosophy. It is just our inability to tune ourselves with the will of Nature. If at the times of our Gurus we had dared to ask the question “WHY” , Guru ji would have explained to us why we need the 5 K’s, The social and scientific reasons behind it. But we did not dare. We have create a barrier between us and our Gurus and God himself. We like to keep a distance as if we will be subjected to an electric shock.
Gurbani says”
Tu hi mera mata,
Tu hi mera pitta,
Tu hi mera Bandap,
Tu hi mera Bhrata,
Tu hi mera rakha sabni thaii……………”

But our response is “Thanks Guru Ji “Jo keha sir mathey par parnalla othey da othey”
“From the scientific view, keeping hair is practical because hair has many functions. It traps an insulating layer of still air just outside the skin, and thereby reduces loss of heat by radiation, hair absorbs harmful radiations from the sun, hair follicles can make androgenic hormones and Auxiliary hair provides larger surface area for evaporation of sweat. Although Sikhs do not need scientific explanations to keep hair, it is important to note that scientific explanations do indeed exist. “
Finally neemai108 ji, do not feel that you are not a Sikh, you are on the path of Sikhism. You raising this question is a proof of your love for our Gurus. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise. You health condition will improve one day. We all have to endure the punishment of our Karmas. It comes in different forms. You too have a place in our Gurus heart. Keep up with your progress and do not look back. Be happy. Happiness yields more happiness. Feel within you that you are the blessed child of our Gurus.

May 16, 2005
Vernon, BC Canada
I have a question. Yes its a hair question. I have short hair and I cant grow it out on my face or head because I have a skin condition. Is that okay, allowed? Its something beyond my control. If I could, I would. I dont know what to do, its confusing. If my hair grows to a certain extant, i break out into rashes and my skin becomes really sensitive and irritated, infected too at times. I try to be Sikh in all other aspects, but I cant keep the Kesh part of the five kakkars. And that really makes me feel bad knowing i fall back because of this. I dont even think I can ever take Amrit because of this.
Any comments, suggestions?

Good question Neemai! i know what you are talking about, it is not a dumb question. To answer your question, it is okay, regardless of what others think, waheguru or god already knows you are trying your best, and regardless if you have to sacrifice some of your hair. In reality Neemai, its your knowledge of sikhi, your inner self and meditation is what really counts, image is second to that. You can take amrit, regardless if some of your hair needs to be sacrificed, taking amrit is not about image, but instead the start about yourself getting to know god better.

Myself, my race or background do not grow much of any facial hair, there are even people in my race that live to their hundreds, and don't have a beard. people always think i cut my hair, i just tell them to mind their own business.

So you can take amrit, and you are doing good already, and you are a sikh, regardless of whatever people say.

Sikhi is not about image, but instead about searching for god, and meditation!

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
lion child has put it across perfectly..

i know i sound cliched...but its the inside that matters.

tskainth

SPNer
Jan 15, 2007
Continue your progress & keep the inner fire of knowledge burning. One day all previous karmas will be over & you will emerge as a new person , a new brilliant sikh both from outside as well as from heart. Guru's blessings are already with you

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM