Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

I am a self improvement book "nut"

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sa'ad, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Sa'ad

Sa'ad
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

I wasn't sure if this is appropriate for this forum; however, I tried to pick the most appropriate sub-forum.

I study eight hours a day (as I am retired). I have a spiritual and intellectual hunger that is never satisfied.

I just bought several books on vedic math and was wondering if those of you who are from India are taught vedic math. To me, it has been honestly mind expanding.

Secondly, I bought an internet download package that claimed that it could raise your IQ to 180. I was leary; however, I am a member of MENSA and would not mind raising my IQ by 30-40 points. Early in the first part of the first lesson the author breaks down IQ levels and had genius starting at 180. This of course is false as Mensa recognizes anyone having an IQ in the top 2% of the world as being a genius. So, how can someone who doesn't know that Genius levels on some IQ tests are as lower as 138 and ususally 140 teach me how to raise my IQ. It is like the clergy I met (I was once an unpaid minister) in Christianity that don't speak Hebrew or understand Torah or Judaism. One of the exercise is to concentrate on a coin on a table for 30 minutes with the object being to move the coin. He doesn't expect the coin to move, but claims that this exercise will increase your power of concentration and the pathways in the conscious unconscious mind.

I wear the kara, kesh, khanga, Kirpan. I haven't yet learn to tie a turban, but I do wear a covering over my head, until I am able to learn to tie a turban by myself.

I am interested in what you think. I have spent years on The Master Course by The Kauai's Hindu Monestery, the Tanakh, The Torah, The Tao Te Ching, The Brit Chadrasha, and am trying to learn the Guri Granth Sahib Guru from here and here
    with some success. I have also spent much time trying to learn (trying) Hebrew, Russian, German, Spanish, Arabic, and a couple of months on Sanskrit. I have had a mentor 37 years ago who spoke them all plus understood others. He was by far the most intelligent man I ever knew.

So, I apologize if this isn't appropriate for this forum and sub-forum, but most forum have a place to share unrelated information.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Self-Improvement By Meditation Spiritual Articles Mar 2, 2007
    Self-improvement: Becoming a student of life ! Spiritual Articles Jun 30, 2006
    Khalsa Aid The Selfless Sikh Faith On The Frontline, A Documentary By BBC 2016 Sikh Organisations Nov 16, 2016
    Is It Better To Just Insulate Yourself In Your Own World? Blogs Nov 5, 2016
    How To Get My Self Respect Back? And My Shri Waheguru Ji? Love & Marriage Sep 19, 2016

3. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Sa'ad ji

I am not sure what you are asking, but it sounds as if you are beginning the process of starting a discussion on several fronts that are all interesting in and of themselves. Perhaps the central idea or theme is something like "expansions of mind." You could probably come up with a better phrase. it is kind of exciting actually to canvass all your interests in one post that starts a thread that can go in a dozen directions all at once.

Let me move the conversation to the next baby-step with a few questions.

Although I have never heard of "vedic math" you found it compelling in some way. What about "vedic math" fascinated you and why did you continue to study it for a time?

I, like you, have taken up the study of Sanskrit -- one small step at a time. Why did you decide to give it up? Or do I misunderstand?

Let's see if other members pick up on the other strands in your thinking. The thread could turn out to be quite a social networking experience in which we express a genuine interest to learn more about one another as individuals, real people with real passions, and move in a less argumentative direction than is typical.

Thanks

4. Tejwant Singh

Tejwant Singh United States
    Expand Collapse
    Mentor Writer SPNer Contributor

Sa'ad ji

Guru Fateh.

Interesting revelations laced with introspection. Mind is what SGGS is all about. How to control it so goodness can be bred within.

It takes a different approach though. It does not tell us to concentrate at a coin but spend that coin to teach the needy how to make a living. It is the same as the saying goes," If you give a man a fish, he will eat for a day but when you teach him how to fish,it will last his lifetime and he will be able to feef others.

Guru Nanak did the same when he was young. His father gave him some money to invest in a business of his choice. He met a group of poor and hungry people on his way. He not only fed them but with the help of that money he also taught them how to make a living.

SGGS gives us all kinds of tools for the betterment of mind. I have no idea if it increases one's IQ which can be measured in numbers but it does give us the tools so that every moment of happiness,contentment, serenity- what Gurbani calls Sehaj- in our life becomes eternal. In other words, SGGS does help us to raise our spiritual IQ.

Hope you share more about your own experiences with us.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sa'ad

Sa'ad
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

aad0002 Ji and Vaheguru Seekr Ji,

I will answer your questions as best as I can; unfortunately, they may not be in order and for that problem, I apologize.

Vedic Math is based on 16 Sutras and 14 sub-sutras from the Upaveda Atharvaveda. The interpretation of the Parisista is credited to the outstanding mind of the late Sankaracarya Bharati Krsna Tirth! Ekadhikena Purvena; Nikhilam Navatascaraman; Urdhva tiryagbhyam; Paravartya Yojayet; Sunyam Samyasamuccaye; Anurupye Sunyasamuccaye; Sankalana vyavakalanabhyam; Puranapuranabhyam; Calana kalanabhyam; Yavadunam; Vyastisamastih,Sesanyankena Caramena; Sopantyadvaamantyam; Ekanyunena Purvena; Gunitasamuccayah; and Gunakasamuccayah.

A simple example is if you have to substract a two digit number from 100, or a three digit number from a thousand, or a four digit number from 10000 you simply start on the left and substract all numbers from nine 9 except the last which you substract from ten 10. ie: 10,000 minus 7654 equals 2346! It also allows you to do much more complicate math mentally without paper. I included a link to a tutorial above and here is a link to some books. I use the free MCAfee Site Advisor and these sites are safe.

I started trying to learn Sanskrit because the most intelligent person whom I have ever known, Jay Cooper Rochelle, advised me when I was in my early twenties to learn it and some other languages. I ignored that advise then and decided to correct that mistake. However, at my age, I quickly realized that I would be better off using the time to learn Spanish, German, Russian, Hebrew, Japanese, Chinese, and Arabic. I am far from fluent in any of these; still, I have a knowledge of some and can converse in a few. I use Pimsleur, Rosetta Stone, Michelle Thomas, and LiveMocha, as well as youtube and real live people with Spanish. I once wanted to tell a family that they had a large kitchen, but when the smiles turned to anger, I realized that I had gotten to adventuresome in my new language. I found out that instead of big kitchen, I had said big pig stye.

Please excuse the crudeness of the following remark, but the more I learn the more I realize that there is a whole *&^%load of stuff that I don't know. I wish I was as "smart" as I thought I was in my early teens. It amazed me the older I became the "smarter" my father became and the dumber I became.

I love knowledge and truth and the more that I learn from Guru Granth Sahib Ji, and audio ,the Tanackh, The Torah, The Tao Te Ching (Dow De Ching), The Bible, and academic subjects, the greater my hunger grows.

I hope that I clarified the above post some. When I was in the third grade we were given an IQ Test and told that when we finish we could hand our papers in and go out and play in the school yard until called. I marked off A<B<C<D over and over again and finished in about five minutes. Little this I know that the results of the test would track me into an academic or non-academic path. It wasn't until I returned from Vietnam that I took the MENSA IQ TEST TESTand was granted admission into the 2% club.

• Like Like x 3
  6. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

All I can say is WoW! Thanks for the explanation too of Vedic math. I have to try it.

7. Sa'ad

Sa'ad
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

I know this site is for studying the truth of Sikhism; however, since I mentioned Vedic Math in this thread, I thought you might like to check out these books. I plan on buying the Cosmic Calculator and the The Trachtenberg Speed Math System. The Cosmic Calculator course claims to be for children 11 and 12, but I am an alumni of Penn State with a few math course from college and this is over my head (especially since it is done in the head). :) I have learned the Mool Mantra and was surprised to learn that the new interpretation of The Gayatri Mantra in Sanskrit claims to interpreted very similarly according to this site.

8. avtarkaint

avtarkaint
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

thanks for great piece of info

9. Seeker9

Seeker9 United Kingdom
    Expand Collapse
    Cleverness is not wisdom
    SPNer Supporter

Dear Sa'ad Ji

I have visited some of your links and am now totally hooked