• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Hunkaar (ego)

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Arshi ji,

Guru Fateh,

You write:

"On a serious note, as far as the five thieves are concerned, Sikhism does not advocate that the energy that produces these should be completely destroyed or eliminated, for example an element of lobh is needed to make money for a livelihood. So there is enough room for self esteem. The point is that houmai or hunkaar should be converted into humility (nimrata) through devoted service and love for mankind whilst still retaining an element of self esteem. Self esteem within reasonable limits is desirable but we must remember that there is very thin line between self esteem and houmai."
I agree with you that 5 thieves are not to be destroyed nor eliminated because they are part and parcel of a human being. Only the obliteration of the humanity can destroy/eliminate them.

Gurbani teaches us how to lasso them, train them and control them to our own benefits. Gurbani also tells us that not to become the slave of these five thieves but gives us the tools to become their master.

The ultimate objective of a Sikh is to breed goodness within and share with others. Hence, we are guided by SGGS,our ONLY GURU to live the life of Miri-Piri.

Only by controlling these 5 thieves and training them in a way that they become our assets rather than the beasts of burden, we can find the Gurmat fulcrum within.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
arshi ji

Oh yes it is a compliment -- You have managed to stir up a lot of reflection, thought and discussion. Please excuse the bad joke.

The rest -- well I am always struggling with haumei. Sometimes it does not look like self-conceit. :}8-: Sometimes it looks like being stuck to favorite theories and ideas and resentments when others do not agree with me. That is the problem with haumei -- it wears many disguises. :8-:)

arshi

Writer
SPNer
Aug 20, 2009
arshi ji

Oh yes it is a compliment -- You have managed to stir up a lot of reflection, thought and discussion. Please excuse the bad joke.

The rest -- well I am always struggling with haumei. Sometimes it does not look like self-conceit. :}8-: Sometimes it looks like being stuck to favorite theories and ideas and resentments when others do not agree with me. That is the problem with haumei -- it wears many disguises. :8-:)

Narayanjot Kaur Ji

That was not a bad joke - only my inability to understand it.

If it is any consolation most of us (me included) feel the same way as you do. Writing on the Five Evils helped me a lot to come to terms with my own attitude towards life and the world at large.

Kind regards.

Rajinder Singh 'Arshi'

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Sometimes it does not look like self-conceit.
DEVIL.GIF
Sometimes it looks like being stuck to favorite theories and ideas and resentments when others do not agree with me. That is the problem with haumei -- it wears many disguises.
CRYBABY0.GIF

Very True and well said. Haumei has many costumes in its closet and that closet belongs to all of us..

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Extracts from a Booklet by KHOJI : Transformation of the Egoistic Consciousness

Somehow, we came under the influence of Maya, were lured into its illusive glittering phenomenon, and placed under the Law of Karma. Thus our souls have been confined into solitary cocoons of our individual EGO, manifested thru the expression of 'I', "Me' and 'Mine'. Life after life we have voluntarily 'sentenced ourselves' to confinement into miserable solitarity individual cells of false ego for ages!

It is again our own free will to break the shackles of this self-imposed slavery, if we desire and aspire for our inherited Spiritual Freedom.

It should be remembered that Maya has been bestowed with tremendous powers by the Creator to instigate, lure, enlist, guide, direct, train, equip and employ the way-faring innocent souls, for - organising, administering, disciplining, enacting and running the ever-lasting 'SHOW' of the Universal Drama.

.....................................................................................................................

To understand this let's listen to OSHO :

YouTube - OSHO: Meditation Is a Very Simple Phenomenon

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM