• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Hukam And Medical Treatment

Sep 29, 2010
gurbanicd ji

I appreciate your confusion. But let me give notice that SPN is an Internet forum, and as such cannot appear to allow members to dispense medical advice. Likewise we cannot make it seem that medical care goes against the Hukam of Waheguru. If SPN did that the forum would have a certain amount of moral and legal responsibility for the results.

Therefore, ਨਾਨਕ ਹੁਕਮੈ ਜੇ ਬੁਝੈ ਤ ਹਉਮੈ ਕਹੈ ਨ ਕੋਇ ॥੨॥
Nānak hukmai je bujẖai ṯa ha▫umai kahai na ko▫e. ||2||
O Nanak, one who understands His Command, does not speak in ego

Unlike many religions, in Sikhism, there are no humans at the top of the pyramid of authority or knowledge who can tell you what you should believe. Members give opinions. Some opinions are closer to the words of Guruji, others are not. Discussions on the Internet can never be substitutes for the work we need to do ourselves.

Many thanks and good luck

spnadmin ji

ofcourse you hold the last say on what we can post. but in above message no where i see a reference that you are trying to mention that one line quotes are not allowed.

Again. i might be wrong and i accept that. after all this is your board.

regarding the tangential remarks -i noticed that one question on Gurparsad has been deleted.

I have posted it in Japji interpretations and i think it was a valid question.

deleting a post without informing members is, once again, up to you to decide if it is okay.

i am not flustered by the amazing scrutiny of my posts. I can even see remarks by other learned members on my id. Is it a norm here to 'joke around' and do a bit of ragging of a new poster?

I think i will continue to post until i have access, unless you want to share your 'decision' upfront rather than play out the whole sequence.

again, no intention to offend.

BALDEU

SPNer
Jul 1, 2004
Hi Jasleen Kaur,

My view is that we need to understand the core message from Guru Nanak and then review our history to better understand how to live.

The way i see things, Sikh are the only group to have a very concise easy to remember Hukum, and that is:

Kirth Karni
Naam Jaapna
Vandh Shakna.

That I feel is the Hukum we have to live to as was demonstrated by the Gurus in the years they led us.

Remember the Hundu had been convinced that he had no choice to change his destiny on earth. Yet the Gurus not only rejected that but went on to show that they could motivate the very people condemned by the Hindu Priests (for their selfish advantage) into a class of people that changed the history of India.

Sadly even in our Gurdwaras today, the "Hindu' has regained control and we are asked to resign ourselves and accept everything as a Hukum.

If there is any doubt of this, look at the Sants and Babas who are now enjoying on the sweat of poor Sikhs by convincing them their reward will be in the "future". This was certainly not what our Gurus ever told us. Sure there are things beyond our control but that does not mean we neglect the very skills we are blessed wiith to make things better.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think Guru Gobund Singh did not advice his sSikh to form prayer groups to rid the corrupt Muslim rulers. Instead he trained them to take charge and said that was the right thing to do for a better life.

Baldeu

seeker3k

SPNer
May 24, 2008
canada
I think it is about time we take the responsibly of our action. We should not keep blaming Hindus for our own great of power and money.

The hukam is the main part of the Hindu’s philosophy. They were the first who said we are guided by our karma. But every thing is controlled by God.

Most of the posts are saying I think. It is not what we think. Either we believe in hukam or we don’t. We cant have it both way. Having both ways is not in hukam.

I don’t see the moderators getting involved when some one condemn other religion. They just very fast when some thing is said against the Sikhim.

What is wrong with in life“Love thy neighbor as thy self.”
It cover every thing in life.

Last edited by a moderator:

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
Nobody is condemning other religions, just relating historical situations that arose. You can still love your neighbour without agreeing with their philosophy. This is a Sikhism site so its natural that undermining the Sikh beliefs will not be acceptable.

My understanding of hukam so far is that it is different in Sikhi and Hinduism. The former is proactive whereas the latter is passive. One says try your hardest and if things still don't go your way accept as the inevitable-his hukam. The other tells you to accept without doing anything and almost has a victim feel to it.

seeker3k

SPNer
May 24, 2008
canada
When we Sikhs do some thing that it hurt others. Is that in hukam too? When things don’t go our way: your answer we that don’t worry about the hukam. Pick up sword and fight.

If we get killed by picking up sword then that is in hukam too.

It is not clearcut what is hukam. Maybe it is for you but rest of the word don’t agree with it. Or we don’t care about the rest of the world.

In democratic countries there is a process that one can follow to solve the problem. After the fighting is done we still have to sit down and negotiate.

We Sikhs should be finding faults in our religion and correct them.

Maybe it is in the hukam that we have to go through this period or growing pain.

This topic is good but there will never be consensus among the Sikhs.

This is very point. We have too big of ego that we can not find fault in our self. Who ever point the fault in us he is our enemy?

He is not the enemy but he is a friend.

Don’t for get we were Hindus once. It is THE reason our kids are turning away from Sikhism.

It is all in the huakm.

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
When we Sikhs do some thing that it hurt others. Is that in hukam too? When things don’t go our way: your answer we that don’t worry about the hukam. Pick up sword and fight.

If we get killed by picking up sword then that is in hukam too.

It is not clearcut what is hukam. Maybe it is for you but rest of the word don’t agree with it. Or we don’t care about the rest of the world.

In democratic countries there is a process that one can follow to solve the problem. After the fighting is done we still have to sit down and negotiate.

We Sikhs should be finding faults in our religion and correct them.

Maybe it is in the hukam that we have to go through this period or growing pain.

This topic is good but there will never be consensus among the Sikhs.

This is very point. We have too big of ego that we can not find fault in our self. Who ever point the fault in us he is our enemy?

He is not the enemy but he is a friend.

Don’t for get we were Hindus once. It is THE reason our kids are turning away from Sikhism.

It is all in the huakm.

None of this is related to the thread starter of hukam AND medical treatment. If you would like to discuss these views please start a new thread and return to topic here. Thank you.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM