• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

How Sweet Is Wahiguru! What Wahiguru Can Do And How One Can Comprehend

Aug 28, 2010
ISHNA Ji,
The reference meaning of the words GuRu Nanaku is GuR JoTi being named as Nanaku.
I think now you can make out the understanding of the last line now.

Prakash.S.Bagga

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
As Harry ji found some shabads which seemed to be written just for him, I think I found one of mine (at this point in time). And it references the closeness of Sri Waheguru Ji. Ambarsaria ji, I'm not expecting you to write a meaning for every shabad I post here, and I hope you don't mind me adding shabads about closeness to your thread. (let me know if I'm going off topic and I'll stop!)

ਸੋਰਠਿ ਮਹਲਾ ਕੋਟਿ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੰਡ ਕੋ ਠਾਕੁਰੁ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਸਰਬ ਜੀਆ ਕਾ ਦਾਤਾ ਰੇ ਪ੍ਰਤਿਪਾਲੈ ਨਿਤ ਸਾਰਿ ਸਮਾਲੈ ਇਕੁ ਗੁਨੁ ਨਹੀ ਮੂਰਖਿ ਜਾਤਾ ਰੇ ॥੧॥
सोरठि महला ५ ॥ कोटि ब्रहमंड को ठाकुरु सुआमी सरब जीआ का दाता रे ॥ प्रतिपालै नित सारि समालै इकु गुनु नही मूरखि जाता रे ॥१॥
Soraṯẖ mėhlā 5. Kot barahmand ko ṯẖākur su▫āmī sarab jī▫ā kā ḏāṯā re. Paraṯipālai niṯ sār samālai ik gun nahī mūrakẖ jāṯā re. ||1||
Sorat'h, Fifth Mehl: God is the Lord and Master of millions of universes; He is the Giver of all beings. He ever cherishes and cares for all beings, but the fool does not appreciate any of His virtues. ||1||
ਬ੍ਰਹਮੰਡ = ਸ੍ਰਿਸ਼ਟੀ। ਕੋ = ਦਾ। ਠਾਕੁਰੁ = ਪਾਲਣਹਾਰ। ਰੇ = ਹੇ ਭਾਈ! ਸਾਰਿ = ਸਾਰ ਲੈ ਕੇ। ਸਮਾਲੈ = ਸੰਭਾਲ ਕਰਦਾ ਹੈ। ਮੂਰਖਿ = ਮੂਰਖ ਨੇ।੧।

The creator is the custodian and support for millions of universes. Such provides support for living but the fools don’t recognize any such virtues.[/FONT]

ਹੇ ਭਾਈ! ਮੈਂ ਮੂਰਖ ਨੇ ਉਸ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦਾ ਇੱਕ ਭੀ ਉਪਕਾਰ ਨਹੀਂ ਸਮਝਿਆ, ਜੇਹੜਾ ਕ੍ਰੋੜਾਂ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੰਡਾਂ ਦਾ ਪਾਲਣਹਾਰ ਮਾਲਕ ਹੈ, ਜੇਹੜਾ ਸਾਰੇ ਜੀਵਾਂ ਨੂੰ (ਰਿਜ਼ਕ ਆਦਿਕ) ਦਾਤਾਂ ਦੇਣ ਵਾਲਾ ਹੈ, ਜੇਹੜਾ (ਸਭ ਜੀਵਾਂ ਨੂੰ) ਪਾਲਦਾ ਹੈ, ਸਦਾ (ਸਭ ਦੀ) ਸਾਰ ਲੈ ਕੇ ਸੰਭਾਲ ਕਰਦਾ ਹੈ।੧।

ਹਰਿ ਆਰਾਧਿ ਜਾਨਾ ਰੇ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਗੁਰੁ ਗੁਰੁ ਕਰਤਾ ਰੇ ਹਰਿ ਜੀਉ ਨਾਮੁ ਪਰਿਓ ਰਾਮਦਾਸੁ ਰਹਾਉ
हरि आराधि न जाना रे ॥ हरि हरि गुरु गुरु करता रे ॥ हरि जीउ नामु परिओ रामदासु ॥ रहाउ ॥
Har ārāḏẖ na jānā re. Har har gur gur karṯā re. Har jī▫o nām pari▫o Rāmḏās. Rahā▫o.
I do not know how to worship the Lord in adoration. I can only repeat, "Lord, Lord, Guru, Guru". O Dear Lord, I go by the name of the Lord's slave. ||Pause||
ਆਰਾਧਿ ਨ ਜਾਨਾ = (ਮੈਂ) ਆਰਾਧਨਾ ਕਰਨੀ ਨਹੀਂ ਸਮਝੀ। ਕਰਤਾ = ਕਰਦਾ ਹਾਂ। ਰੇ = ਹੇ ਭਾਈ! ਹਰਿ ਜੀਉ = ਹੇ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਜੀ! ਪਰਿਓ = ਪੈ ਗਿਆ ਹੈ। ਰਾਮ ਦਾਸੁ = ਰਾਮ ਦਾ ਦਾਸ।ਰਹਾਉ।

Guru ji says, I don’t know how to worship. One keeps repating Waheguru! Waheguru. I have been named Ramdas(Note 1), the creator’s disciple, please save my dignity.[/FONT]

Note 1: Ramdas translates into servant or subjugate of the creator. Guru ji believes it is such a burden to meet expectation with such a name. Seeks creator's help to keep dignity in meeting embedded expectation in his name.

We have noted in some threads the effect of your name on your life. So in a very succinct way Guru ji shows a connection for the one's who understand meaning's of their name(s), that one should think of keeping such in mind.
[/FONT]
ਹੇ ਭਾਈ! ਮੈਨੂੰ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦਾ ਸਿਮਰਨ ਕਰਨ ਦੀ ਜਾਚ ਨਹੀਂ। ਮੈਂ (ਤਾਂ ਜ਼ਬਾਨੀ ਜ਼ਬਾਨੀ ਹੀ) 'ਹਰੀ ਹਰੀ', 'ਗੁਰੂ ਗੁਰੂ' ਕਰਦਾ ਰਹਿੰਦਾ ਹਾਂ। ਹੇ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਜੀ! ਮੇਰਾ ਨਾਮ "ਰਾਮ ਦਾ ਦਾਸ" ਪੈ ਗਿਆ ਹੈ (ਹੁਣ ਤੂੰ ਹੀ ਮੇਰੀ ਲਾਜ ਰੱਖ, ਤੇ, ਭਗਤੀ ਦੀ ਦਾਤਿ ਦੇਹ)।ਰਹਾਉ।

ਦੀਨ ਦਇਆਲ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾਲ ਸੁਖ ਸਾਗਰ ਸਰਬ ਘਟਾ ਭਰਪੂਰੀ ਰੇ ਪੇਖਤ ਸੁਨਤ ਸਦਾ ਹੈ ਸੰਗੇ ਮੈ ਮੂਰਖ ਜਾਨਿਆ ਦੂਰੀ ਰੇ ॥੨॥
दीन दइआल क्रिपाल सुख सागर सरब घटा भरपूरी रे ॥ पेखत सुनत सदा है संगे मै मूरख जानिआ दूरी रे ॥२॥
Ḏīn ḏa▫i▫āl kirpāl sukẖ sāgar sarab gẖatā bẖarpūrī re. Pekẖaṯ sunaṯ saḏā hai sange mai mūrakẖ jāni▫ā ḏūrī re. ||2||
The Compassionate Lord is Merciful to the meek, the ocean of peace; He fills all hearts. He sees, hears, and is always with me; but I am a fool, and I think that He is far away. ||2||
ਸੁਖ ਸਾਗਰ = ਸੁਖਾਂ ਦਾ ਸਮੁੰਦਰ। ਭਰਪੂਰੀ = ਵਿਆਪਕ। ਸਰਬ ਘਟਾ = ਸਾਰੇ ਸਰੀਰਾਂ ਵਿਚ। ਸੰਗੇ = ਨਾਲ ਹੀ।੨।

Guru ji says, the merciful creator is an ocean of comfort and is in every one and everywhere. Creator listens and watches from close, the foolish one thinks the creator is far away. [/FONT]
[/FONT]

ਹੇ ਭਾਈ! ਮੈਂ ਮੂਰਖ ਉਸ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਨੂੰ ਕਿਤੇ ਦੂਰ-ਵੱਸਦਾ ਸਮਝ ਰਿਹਾ ਹਾਂ ਜੇਹੜਾ ਗਰੀਬਾਂ ਉਤੇ ਦਇਆ ਕਰਨ ਵਾਲਾ ਹੈ, ਜੇਹੜਾ ਦਇਆ ਦਾ ਘਰ ਹੈ, ਜੇਹੜਾ ਸੁਖਾਂ ਦਾ ਸਮੁੰਦਰ ਹੈ, ਜੇਹੜਾ ਸਾਰੇ ਸਰੀਰਾਂ ਵਿਚ ਹਰ ਥਾਂ ਮੌਜੂਦ ਹੈ, ਜੇਹੜਾ ਸਭ ਜੀਵਾਂ ਦੇ ਅੰਗ-ਸੰਗ ਰਹਿ ਕੇ ਸਭਨਾਂ ਦੇ ਕਰਮ ਵੇਖਦਾ ਹੈ ਤੇ (ਸਭ ਦੀਆਂ ਅਰਜ਼ੋਈਆਂ) ਸੁਣਦਾ ਰਹਿੰਦਾ ਹੈ।੨।

ਹਰਿ ਬਿਅੰਤੁ ਹਉ ਮਿਤਿ ਕਰਿ ਵਰਨਉ ਕਿਆ ਜਾਨਾ ਹੋਇ ਕੈਸੋ ਰੇ ਕਰਉ ਬੇਨਤੀ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਅਪੁਨੇ ਮੈ ਮੂਰਖ ਦੇਹੁ ਉਪਦੇਸੋ ਰੇ ॥੩॥
हरि बिअंतु हउ मिति करि वरनउ किआ जाना होइ कैसो रे ॥ करउ बेनती सतिगुर अपुने मै मूरख देहु उपदेसो रे ॥३॥
Har bi▫anṯ ha▫o miṯ kar varna▫o ki▫ā jānā ho▫e kaiso re. Kara▫o benṯī saṯgur apune mai mūrakẖ ḏeh upḏeso re. ||3||
The Lord is limitless, but I can only describe Him within my limitations; what do I know, about what He is like? I offer my prayer to my True Guru; I am so foolish - please, teach me! ||3||
ਹਉ = ਮੈਂ। ਮਿਤਿ = ਹੱਦ-ਬੰਦੀ। ਕਰਿ = ਕਰ ਕੇ। ਵਰਨਉ = ਵਰਨਉਂ, ਮੈਂ ਬਿਆਨ ਕਰਦਾ ਹਾਂ। ਕਿਆ ਜਾਨਾ = ਮੈਂ ਕੀਹ ਜਾਣਦਾ ਹਾਂ? ਕਰਉ = ਕਰਉਂ। ਮੈ ਮੂਰਖ = ਮੈਨੂੰ ਮੂਰਖ ਨੂੰ।੩।

Creator is infinite but but I can talk about some virtues within my limits of understanding. I pray to my creator to impart knowledge to me as I am a fool.[/FONT]

[/FONT]
ਹੇ ਭਾਈ! ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦੇ ਗੁਣਾਂ ਦਾ ਅੰਤ ਨਹੀਂ ਪੈ ਸਕਦਾ, ਪਰ ਮੈਂ ਉਸ ਦੇ ਗੁਣਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਹੱਦ-ਬੰਦੀ ਵਿਚ ਲਿਆ ਕੇ ਬਿਆਨ ਕਰਦਾ ਹਾਂ। ਮੈਂ ਕੀਹ ਜਾਣ ਸਕਦਾ ਹਾਂ ਕਿ ਉਹ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਕਿਹੋ ਜਿਹਾ ਹੈ? ਹੇ ਭਾਈ! ਮੈਂ ਆਪਣੇ ਗੁਰੂ ਦੇ ਪਾਸ ਬੇਨਤੀ ਕਰਦਾ ਹਾਂ ਕਿ ਮੈਨੂੰ ਮੂਰਖ ਨੂੰ ਸਿੱਖਿਆ ਦੇਵੇ।੩।

ਮੈ ਮੂਰਖ ਕੀ ਕੇਤਕ ਬਾਤ ਹੈ ਕੋਟਿ ਪਰਾਧੀ ਤਰਿਆ ਰੇ ਗੁਰੁ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਜਿਨ ਸੁਣਿਆ ਪੇਖਿਆ ਸੇ ਫਿਰਿ ਗਰਭਾਸਿ ਪਰਿਆ ਰੇ ॥੪॥੨॥੧੩॥
मै मूरख की केतक बात है कोटि पराधी तरिआ रे ॥ गुरु नानकु जिन सुणिआ पेखिआ से फिरि गरभासि न परिआ रे ॥४॥२॥१३॥
Mai mūrakẖ kī keṯak bāṯ hai kot parāḏẖī ṯari▫ā re. Gur Nānak jin suṇi▫ā pekẖi▫ā se fir garbẖās na pari▫ā re. ||4||2||13||
I am just a fool, but millions of sinners just like me have been saved. Those who have heard, and seen Guru Nanak, do not descend into the womb of reincarnation again. ||4||2||13||
ਕੇਤਕ ਬਾਤ ਹੈ = ਕੋਈ ਵੱਡੀ ਗੱਲ ਨਹੀਂ। ਕੋਟਿ = ਕ੍ਰੋੜਾਂ। ਜਿਨ = ਜਿਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਨੇ। ਗਰਭਾਸਿ = ਗਰਭ-ਆਸ਼ੈ ਵਿਚ, ਗਰਭ-ਜੋਨਿ ਵਿਚ।੪।
It is no big deal for the creator to help me cross the divide, when such has helped millions of sinners. One’s who have understood and visualized Guru Nanak, such become oblivious to life cycles.[/FONT]
[/FONT]

ਹੇ ਭਾਈ! ਮੈਨੂੰ ਮੂਰਖ ਨੂੰ ਪਾਰ ਲੰਘਾਣਾ (ਗੁਰੂ ਵਾਸਤੇ) ਕੋਈ ਵੱਡੀ ਗੱਲ ਨਹੀਂ (ਉਸ ਦੇ ਦਰ ਤੇ ਆ ਕੇ ਤਾਂ) ਕ੍ਰੋੜਾਂ ਪਾਪੀ (ਸੰਸਾਰ-ਸਮੁੰਦਰ ਤੋਂ) ਪਾਰ ਲੰਘ ਰਹੇ ਹਨ। ਹੇ ਭਾਈ! ਜਿਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਮਨੁੱਖਾਂ ਨੇ ਗੁਰੂ ਨਾਨਕ (ਦੇ ਉਪਦੇਸ਼) ਨੂੰ ਸੁਣਿਆ ਹੈ ਗੁਰੂ ਨਾਨਕ ਦਾ ਦਰਸ਼ਨ ਕੀਤਾ ਹੈ, ਉਹ ਮੁੜ ਕਦੇ ਜਨਮ ਮਰਨ ਦੇ ਗੇੜ ਵਿਚ ਨਹੀਂ ਪੈਂਦੇ।੪।੨।੧੩।

I don't understand the last line yet... but it is interesting to note that this shabad is by Guru Arjun Dev Ji who was not alive when Guru Nanak was alive so it obviously means something metaphorical.

I hope the above helps, let us know any comments.

All errors are mine and I always stand corrected.

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Gyani ji

Awesome post regarding JoT / JoTi. Thank you for bringing it to us!

Ishna
Ishna ji not so fast!

How would you recognize "Gurjot" if you are not one!

“It Takes One to Know One..”

Have you ever heard the saying, “It takes one to know one?” I'm sure you have before. You were probably among a group of people and some {censored} was talking about last night's public address to the Nation. This guy was emphasizing on the opinion of how Obama is going to just raise taxes and create an even further pit fall for this Nation.
This person goes on and talks about Obama's unmoral ethics, his inability to lead a country, and his indecisiviness that will hurt our nation when it matters the most. “What about his plan for alternative fuels and new energy? What about his plan for Universal Health Care? How about his idea for creating new jobs?” You ask yourself. “He seems like a good leader to me.”
You sit there and observe how everyone is getting sucked in to this persons bashing of our President and all you see are the trance like stares and heads nodding and agreeing with every word coming out of this persons mouth.
As you sit there, at this political rally, you think to yourself, “Are you kidding me? These people voted for this person a year ago and now they are bashing him and labeling him unethical, a {censored}, unfit to run a country, indecisive, and so on.”
worried-man.jpg

Then, under your breath, you say, “I guess it takes one to know one.”
Somebody in the negative bashing group says, “Excuse me? Did you say something?”
You reply, “Oh-no...I was just thinking out-loud. It was nothing.”
Finally, you sit there for a few more seconds and say again, “It takes one to know one...It takes one to know one...Wait! It takes one to know one? Then, what does this say about me!?!”
You get up and exit stage right vowing to never participate in something like that again.
“It takes one to know one.” How true is that on so many levels? I began investigating the truth behind that saying and after what I've discovered, I decided to make that October's mantra for me.
Go ahead and write that down, “It takes one to know one”, and carry it around with you for a week. Whenever you think of something, say something, make an observation, judge, have an experience, or participate in an event, say to yourself, “It takes one to know one.”
When I did this, I started to become aware of the person I really was. I understood that there is no “out there” only “inside me.” In other words, you are the projector and the movie screen is your life. So, what movie are you projecting onto the screen of life?
I got so hung-up on this concept I tested it for a whole week. After listening to someone speak or observing an event or experience, I would say silently to myself, “It takes one to know one.” It was an obsession, but I had to know if it was an accurate way to measure my self image and projection of life.
Half of the time I didn't like what I've found. However, the other half I was pleased to say that I was proud of the movie playing on my screen.
It takes one (that's you) to know one (that's the person, place, event, or experience you are observing and labeling.)
Just the other day I was at the grocery store looking for the ingredients to ham and potato chowder. However, if you ask anyone in New Hampshire where the “chowder” mix is they'll give you a blank stare. You have to say “chowda”, then they'll give you precise and accurate directions to the goods (just teasing, I love New Hampshire :)
Anyway, I was browsing in the organic vegetable isle looking for a few organic onions and green peppers, when I couldn't help to over hear a conversation a woman was having with her daughter.
It went something like this. The Daughter (probably 8 years old): “Mommy...this onion looks good, I want that one.” The Mother: “Sweety, we are on a tight budget and near broke. We can't afford the organic food.”
I stood there for a few seconds thinking, “I can't afford it? Broke? She's programming her daughter to be part of the most widespread sickness of them all: poverty.” Judgment and label after label kept flowing into my mind until I caught myself and said, “It takes one to know one.”
Immediately my eyes popped! And I thought, “Holy s**t! I'm the very thing I'm judging and condemning!...It takes one to know one!”
Since it was in my experience, and I know that my experiences are nothing more than a projection of myself, then “It takes one..” (which is me) “to know one” (which is the Mother) means on some level that “being broke” or “can't afford it” was still part of me.
Now, what I just said is a tough pill to swallow. What I'm basically saying is you are not separate from anything. Everything you see and label outside yourself is an inner projection of your self image.
And I can back up that last paragraph with this simple question: “How can you label and judge anything without first thinking that judgment about yourself?”
Since the only thing you truly own is your thinking, then that judgment and label is a part owner of you.
O.k., how many readers dropped off after that statement? Stick with me, I promise this article is life transforming.
There was also a moment the other day when I was sitting in a canoe, all alone, in the middle of a lake in up-state Maine. I was completely off the grid with no cellphone service, no electricity, and no concept of time.
upstate-maine.jpg

I was sitting there, writing, and admiring the peace and beauty of the mountains, different color trees, and the picturesque, breath-taking view. I call it “God's Country” because this is something man can never create.
Then, I remembered my October's mantra and quietly said to myself, “It takes one to know one.” And a calming, loving peacefulness showered me and I thought, “Yea...it takes one to know one...” Meaning, if I can think and observe this vast beauty and peace, then I must be this beauty and peace.
I observed the beauty, I thought the beauty, therefore on some level I am the beauty.
Go ahead and try this out for a week. As best as you can, whenever you think something, judge, label, observe, interact, or have an experience, say to yourself, “It takes one to know one.” Then, understand that you are uncovering a truth about you. It's who you are!
If a reoccurring experience, judgment, or label keeps on happening, for example, you notice how many idiot drivers there are on the road each time you go out, then all I have to say is, “It takes one to know one!”
This is just a tool to help you uncover your truth --who you are. In other words, did you ever notice that when there is a problem you are there? You're there because the problem is you. Change yourself, change your world. Change the movie and the movie screen changes, too.
Since you attract who you are and not what you want, then you must know who you truly are, so you can change to who you want to become.
It takes one to know one.

http://www.creative-wealthbuilding.com/takes-one-to-know-one.html
I can see Guru ji doing it, but I see none other, do you!

Sat Sri Akal

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Hmm, not sure I really get that article.. I get what it's trying to say and I could tell it was from a wealth-building site before I got to the link at the bottom (my parents are constantly on the lookout for get-rich-quite schemes and it annoys the crap out of me). I just don't think it's that simple.

I enjoyed the JoT/JoTi article because it's given me another way to look at Gurbani, and I really like the idea that my JoT is a droplet of water and the JoTi is the ocean and a droplet's natural way is downwards (humility) and my mind is between my JoT and Maya. I might need to read the article a few more times, but that's what I got out of it.

I'm a bit lost with the recognition thing.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Water is one of the most commonly used metaphors in Gurbani..water takes many forms yet always returns to original..it always finds its own level..it always flows downwards..humility...and is always level...and will keep flowing until it meets the ocean !!..even if it is rasied as high as the clouds..it will fall...and go towards the ocean...so many other attributes of water are found to be useful as teachers for us.....

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Gyani ji,
To the gyani everything is a teacher. Haha That's why he is known as a gyani, he knows!

Other Gyanis (Gurus) have said air is the teacher. They said pavan guru (pani pita mata dhart mahat..)

It is the root of most meditation practices. Just look at the Sikh meditation practice of Simran. Through air the the sound is produced, and that air vibration AKA sound is to be focused upon. Through simran one comes to know.

Is this not the same air that passes through trees and makes beautiful sounds? That same air passes through us, and makes beautiful sounds. If it were not for the water, the trees and humans would not be there to allow air to pass through them.

Here water assumes the role of a father.

The water is also a student as it allows everyone to dump everything in it. It is the ultimate student. It takes it all in, and lets it sink to its depths.

What our teachers always wanted us to be, in school. icecreammunda

Gurus are perhaps the ultimate example of water. They are both teachers and students (and fathers). They listen to the problems of the world, allow everyone to dump it all on them, and through all of that give wisdom, while remaining completely humble. They remain in flow 24/7; do not get obstructed by any problem.

Waho waho gobind singh ape gur chela

No wonder you said water is Guru. It is!

PS
Flow has an even deeper meaning in psychology. It is a state of full concentration. Without worry or anxiety. It is a state where the individual performs their best, fully devoted to the task.

Athletes know it as "the zone".

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Gurfateh

I used to think of god a lot before I embraced sikhism once again, I would spend hours daydreaming of the answers, during one particularly long day dream, that lasted most of the night, I had a vision of a bright dot of light inside me, a pure and good light, the object of life, the voice inside me explained, was to harness this light, which was as pure and brilliant as the ultimate light, and be that light. The voice then explained that once you were the light, your objective was to seek out others of the light, and between you, your lights would all merge, and that would represent the eternal ultimate light. However you could not feel the ultimate shared light, til you had merged with your own.

To see that theory mirrored somewhat in Gyanijis post is quite interesting, however, another daydream I had was that there were two rivers in my head, one pure, sweet smelling, clear, the other dank, dirty, bad smelling, like a sea of waste. Being in any situation, or thinking any thought, I could choose which one I swam in. But why would anyone want to swim in waste? easy, sometimes the image of ourselves is so, that there is actually a very real pleasure from swimming in waste. During these periods I see everything from a 'waste' angle, the people round me, even my wife, I will ignore the 95% good that she is, and concentrate on the 5% not so good, my parents, my stepson, the same, now, I am not so stupid that I do not know what I am doing, I know full well what I am doing, so, I get very quiet and say very little, it feels like my brain is thinking harry thoughts, but with an edge of blackness to them,

Between the pure and the base lies a million different positions that we can take on any issue, the question, who am i, depends on what position you are in on any given day, we can be who we want to be, we can even be who we are, given enough time, I could be a devout Hindu, a muslim, a rapist, a murderer, we are all here on this forum because we are trying to find ourselves, to rise above the dual nature,

I would say until you have merged with your own light, and have no interest swimming in the toxic rivers, you cannot merge with the big light, no matter how much you love the creator

Aug 28, 2010
HARRY HALLER Ji,
I would like to share my views in reference to some part of last line of your message which is "until you have merged with your own light..........you can not merge with the big light.
The message .until you have merged with your own light ..needs a bit deliberation.
Do you think you and your light are different?If so then I would differ to say You as You are a physical Body which is a false whereas the light within you is pure and true.
So false and True can not be merged.
The point is You as You are a pure and true light only.This light is your real form .And this light will merge in the biggest light thru Naamu of GuR JoTi .This is a clear message of Gurbani.

Prakash.S.Bagga

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Prakashji,

In my life, I have come across many people who have labelled me one thing or another, schizophrenic, Bi Polar, for a time, I entertained the thought that I was actually a wolf trapped in a mans body, my biggest problem is that I seem unable to merge all these 'personalities' into one. This has been the cause of problems, as I am more comfortable in one of the manifestations I call 'me', harry the clown, harry the wolf, harry the man, but lately in my nightly thoughts, and as an insomniac , these thoughts can go for hours, sometimes all night, someone else seems to be there, harry the khalsa. My thoughts take me to a room, where everyone is sitting, and discussing the situation calmly, Khalsa is telling everyone that they can all be complete and whole within the khalsa, and that the khalsa is the only way they can all be united and not fractured. The arguments can go on for hours. The biggest argument is always just who is in charge

harry the khalsa, he represents everything perfect in me, he has all the positive traits that all the personalities have, but none of the negative, so who exactly is harry, some think he is a fool, no, actually everyone thinks he is a fool, but a lovable one, most see eccentricity, none, other than my wife, realise that all I want is for the image of the khalsa harry, that lies in my head, in tatters and incomplete, to be a reality. Only then will I be me, and only then can I even begin to start the path to Guru.

chuckle, it has been my dream to die whole one day, the thought I could go further and actually merge with the 'big light' never occurred to me, for me this search has to be done to save my life, but then I suppose it is like that for all of us, Im not sure whether to envy or pity those that cannot see the importance of this journey, it is the only thing we HAVE to achieve above anything else that we do on this earth

If harry khalsa can lead me and at the same time preserve me, and then ultimately find the light, at that point false and true will have merged, and I will be saved

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Awe Harry ji, no one thinks you're a fool! :motherlylove: You have a unique perspective and that gives you insights most other people are oblivious to.

On the topic of water, I love the water theme, that's why my avatar is a fish (in case you can't make that out from the tinsie-tiny image)... I often try to relate hukam to the current and struggling against it is being manmukh... when I was a Pagan one of my all-time favourite chants was:

We all come from the Goddess
And to Her we shall return
Like a drop of rain
Falling to the ocean

And it just so happened that on Tuesday when my husband and I were celebrating our wedding anniversary, we visited the beach where Starbucks used to be where he proposed to me (and we also got married there... at a church by that beach, not at Starbucks!)... as we arrived in the afternoon, a really strange fog was rolling in off the ocean (at 4.30pm on a beautiful day, it was very strange). So I got all excited and dragged my hubby down to the jetty-- you could barely see the end of the jetty through the fog, so we went right down to the end. Along they way I was talking happy snaps on my cell phone camera. I'm not much of a photographer so I don't try hard, I just take happy snaps... and I managed to take a cracker of a picture, which I've turned into the attached wallpaper and would like to share with you all.

The picture hasn't had any effects or any doctoring - I just put the text in.

I hope you like it. peacesignkaur
Gurfateh
Ishna

Attachments

• Ocean_of_Compassion_800x600.jpg
    Ocean_of_Compassion_800x600.jpg
    17.5 KB · Reads: 170

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Ishnabhenji,

A fool is someone who knows nothing, Id rather be a fool than wise, you have too much to live up to if your wise!

Beautiful picture bhenji, you can almost smell the sea, and I bet it smells better than it does here!

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Ishna ji that is one beautiful picture. You have the eye needed to see for sure, as it is meant to be. Mind will continue to develop understanding. In a way if we make our senses to get in tune, we get ahead naturally in our understanding.

Happy anniversary with many many more to come with health, happiness and wealth.

Sat Sri Akal.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
HARRY HALLER Ji,
I would like to share my views in reference to some part of last line of your message which is "until you have merged with your own light..........you can not merge with the big light.
The message .until you have merged with your own light ..needs a bit deliberation.
Do you think you and your light are different?If so then I would differ to say You as You are a physical Body which is a false whereas the light within you is pure and true.
So false and True can not be merged.
The point is You as You are a pure and true light only.This light is your real form .And this light will merge in the biggest light thru Naamu of GuR JoTi .This is a clear message of Gurbani.

Prakash.S.Bagga

0:) until your physical form has accepted the authority of the light within, then it is impossible to merge with the big light

thank you Prakashji

Aug 28, 2010
HARRY HALLER Ji,
I fully agree with your views but at the same time you will appreciate that it is the knowledge of Naamu from Gurbani that shall enable your phyisical form to accept the authority of the light within..This is the real effect of Gurbani and for this effect to take place GuRu is advising us the Simran of Gurmati Raam Naamu /Hari Naamu only.

Prakash.S.Bagga

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Prakashji,

May I humbly ask , as your answer is directed at me, to explain exactly what you mean, as outlined below, so I may understand fully

Naam from gurbani, what exactly does this mean?

also

Simran of Gurmati Raam Naamu /Hari Naamu only.

I take this meaning meditating on the name of the Guru, if so, you are saying the way to the light is meditating on gods name. I think some people can meditate, I personally find it hard not to think 'things' to mentally discuss philosophies and reasoning within myself, whereas Bhagatsinghji is the meditating master!

Bhagatsinghji would say, meditate more, think less!

Have I got this right?

HARRY HALLER Ji,
I fully agree with your views but at the same time you will appreciate that it is the knowledge of Naamu from Gurbani that shall enable your phyisical form to accept the authority of the light within..This is the real effect of Gurbani and for this effect to take place GuRu is advising us the Simran of Gurmati Raam Naamu /Hari Naamu only.

Prakash.S.Bagga

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
I think simran has more than one application. Sitting quietly in naam japna is one application. Another is making a conscious(then subconscious) effort to remember the True Being at all times. Another is contemplating Gurbani. Another is seva done with Waheguru in mind.

There is a saying, can't remember where I read it, where Guru Nanak makes an analogy that just as the child flies the kite while talking to his friends and in the back of his mind he's always aware of the kite-string in his hand, so we should live our lives with the kite-string of Naam in the back of our minds, as we go about our daily business.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
I think simran has more than one application. Sitting quietly in naam japna is one application. Another is making a conscious(then subconscious) effort to remember the True Being at all times. Another is contemplating Gurbani. Another is seva done with Waheguru in mind.

Ishna ji very well said indeed. Same is true for Naam Jap. People take it as single dimensional chanting or meditating on such. This is so far from the truth that such needs to be taken care of as soon as possible. It ranges anywhere from don't go forward till you understand where you are at, don't call my name try to understand, understanding is above all and our Guru ji wrote it for understanding not just for reciting. The sweetness of reciting after understanding has its own taste that can not be replicated by just recitation.

Some very honest and direct people post their age here at spn. I sometimes feel for them but don't want to offend by being direct.

I wish well to all for their explorations and endeavors.

There is a saying, can't remember where I read it, where Guru Nanak makes an analogy that just as the child flies the kite while talking to his friends and in the back of his mind he's always aware of the kite-string in his hand, so we should live our lives with the kite-string of Naam in the back of our minds, as we go about our daily business.
Sat Sri Akal.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Ishna ji very well said indeed. Same is true for Naam Jap. People take it as single dimensional chanting or meditating on such. This is so far from the truth that such needs to be taken care of as soon as possible. It ranges anywhere from don't go forward till you understand where you are at, don't call my name try to understand, understanding is above all and our Guru ji wrote it for understanding not just for reciting. The sweetness of reciting after understanding has its own taste that can not be replicated by just recitation.

Some very honest and direct people post their age here at spn. I sometimes feel for them but don't want to offend by being direct.

Ambarsaria ji, I recall when you first joined the forum, you and I had quite a heated exchange about naam japna to the point where bits of fur may have been on the forum floor! kaurhug

It is mind-blowing when you understand Gurbani, it becomes impossible to not recite it with love and absolute-ness. Just speaking the words can seem hollow -- I think there had been another thread dedicated to that called 'Shallow reading' or some such. I will link when I have more time.

Why would you you offend anyone because of their age? Are you saying I'm young and whimsical? :p

Ish

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: