• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

How Many Wives Did Guru Gobind Singh Ji Have?

Oct 4, 2012
0ne can still have lustful feelings for a loved one, for a partner, that are outside of love.

A husband that forces himself on his wife is acting out of lust not love, marriage is no validator of lust

a husband that shares his love with his wife should not be confused with a lusty husband who expects dinner on the table and sex on tap, there are differences.

i totally agree with you.

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
The strong believers of the 2 wive theory insist that ''why is there 2 gurdwaras in memory of Mata jito ji and Mata Sundri ji in different locations???''
Because of these sacred places and historical significances that come with them, therefore they are certain that the said were 2 completely different beings and could never have been the same person !!

However, if we just start relying on built shrines as pure evidence of historical facts then we also have question of Hemkund sahib which is where Dasam pita is said to have resided in the previous birth.
You should note that Hemkund Sahib has in this century been said to have been in 2 different locations, - 1st they got one location but later changed their minds and settled for another.
(What the hell????)
Anyway we shouldn't criticize the place because it is still a Guru khar and Guru shabad resides there, Therefore, as a guru khar it is worth the journey to visit and matha tek, BUT don't get too attached to the alleged significance or past life theories.
This goes for the 2 wive shrines as well that help to distort historical facts.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Anyway we shouldn't criticize the place because it is still a Guru khar and Guru shabad resides there,

I disagree, Guru Ghar is everywhere, Guru Shabad resides everywhere, Hemkunt is no more relevant than Disneyworld. In fact its worse, it stands for the Vedic elements in Sikhism and is a beacon for those with such tendencies,.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Why does this story of 1, 2 or 3 wives continually surface?

I just did a quick check of Internet sources and they are all contradictory. Writers go to great lengths to document why it was really only 1, why it could have been 2, or why it had to be 3. One source, widely quoted and considered reputable regarding Sikhi, stated that the 10th Guru had 2 wives - giving historical references. The site then contradicted its very own account by linking to another page on the same site, which went to great lengths to claim he had 3 wives. The term always used is co-wives (why that?). I was astonished by the sites that explored this issue ... with verve and tones of authority. The question ranks with another puzzling web driven discussion of Guru Gobind's Singh's physique and shoe size.

It is no wonder the question comes up and no wonder one becomes confused.

Why would his domestic arrangements figure into the scheme of things important? In ardaas, when we are asked to remember Guru Gobind Singh, what do I remember about him? What do you remember about him?

Last edited:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Why would his domestic arrangements figure into the scheme of things important?

because they prove he lived as he talked.

A quote attributed to the 10th Master goes something along 'those that even dream of another woman other than their wife shall burn', now this to me confirms that a man should hold his wife in the highest esteem and not even be unfaithful even in mind, to then do a Henry the VII'th and then get married twice, or even three times is in my mind completely contradictory, and belittles the position of a wife. As always there is an agenda to the two or three wives brigade, all animals are equal, but some are more equal than others, again that is not my understanding of the Gurus, they went to great lengths to practice what they preached, they went to great lengths to show us that they would not be deviated from what they felt was the truth, even if it meant death. The truth is that you can only love one woman as your wife, the suggestion otherwise makes a complete mockery of Anand Karaj.

In ardaas, when we are asked to remember Guru Gobind Singh, what do I remember about him? What do you remember about him?

that he fought for what he believed in and did not compromise

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
For what it's worth I've attached the footer of page four of Max Arthur MacCauliffe's The Sikh Religion, volume 5.

Attachments

• sundari.jpg
    sundari.jpg
    70.3 KB · Reads: 235

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
What theory people have to prove that sixth guru hargobind ji had one one wife?

Well, my dads calendar that he bought from Amritsar says so!
mind you, it also says that the Tenth Master wrote the DG, andI think something must have happened at the printers because August, instead of Bhai Mani ji having his fingers cut off, shows Winnie the Pooh eating honey, but in any case, I have the utmost faith in dads calendar, after all, it was bought in Amritsar........

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Ishna, let's keep that page grab from Macauliffe handy so that we don't have to root around looking for it in the future when this surfaces again. Macauliffe consulted with a number of local scholars of his century who had more reasons to push the more than one wife story than the other way around. It appears they did not accept the 2-wife story..

Harry I hope you realize that I am invoking the role of devil's advocate when I ask questions that seem to have obvious answers. They need to get out into the open as underlying issues and questions, otherwise the stream of opinion becomes a flood of words.

The story has the quality of gossip to it. The story is "dropped" and a chitty chatty kind of discussion follows. When there is so much disagreement, based on cultural lore, then the co-wife theorists really need to retreat.

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
What theory people have to prove that sixth guru hargobind ji had one one wife?

The story of Guru Hargobind is even more extreme. Regardless of guru story, no one so far has been trying to prove the 1 wife story. They are trying to prove the 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 wife stories are wrong. The theory being that once again the mahants are on the upswing even on the internet trying to turn Sikh gurus into leaders of a reconstituted Hindu sect. There are entire web sites promoting mahant "philosophy" with the name "Sikh" included in their site name, and many other web sites written by individuals that have an interest in clouding up the unique contribution of the Sikh Gurus.

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM