• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

How Does Sikhi Help You Through The Tough Times?

seeker3k

SPNer
May 24, 2008
canada
Dear chazsingh ji and hary haller ji

You both missed my point. Either you did not understand what I wrote or do not want to understand.
I said my father was not the best so SGGS is not the best to get information.

I can understand that for you SGGS is the top best. If you want to know if it is best then you have to compare it with other religions. Or you have to get out of your religion and see what is being done to see if it makes sense. By staying in your religion you can not know your religion. It is like boy is born inside of home. He grew up inside. He never was out side. Can he know what is out side? People can tell him what is out side but he will never have the experience of being out side and be free. Put some in jail for the crim he did. What difference it will make if the bars are made of iron or gold? He is still in jail.
We all are in jail but we claim our bars are made of gold. Maybe the bars are just painted of gold.

About 30 years here in Canada one boy he was about 23 or so became my friend. We use to get together and discuss spirituality. Then he came to know one group they do simran of waheguru for about 2-3 hours none stop. There use to do that in people’s home.
Many times some people get fainted. They called it that person is in trance liv lag gai.
In fact there was low oxygen in the room that’s why some fainted. But they do not believe it. This friend of mine said he want to go inside to know God. God is in side of every one. Just like you are saying shabad is inside of every one. I asked him how you can go inside your self. Is it literally or just by thought? For over 20 years he is still saying he want to go even though he has been doing that simran. (their center is in Dodrah close to Ludhiana). They do not know how to go inside. He can spend 1000+ years he never will go in.

Religion make man slave. Look around the world. Where ever old fashion religions they all are poor. Those who change they prosper.

I am not saying there is no God but it is the ritualistic religion that is the problem.
All those religions are living in the past. Some 500 years some 2000 some 10,000 years

Forgive them those who do not know what they are doing

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
The connection lies with the idea that simran will help you through the tough times. seeker3 ji has been trying to explain that, in his opinion, no one has been able to establish why simran would be helpful. Or why beliefs and practices of any religion, Sikhi included, would help either.

The conversation is going in circles at this point. We are not really looking at a digression. It is more like elaboration of an idea. Does simran help or not? Does Sikhi help or not? Questions asked, answered, and asked again with increasing amounts of personal detail. Then the core question got buried about 2 pages back.

If it goes on much longer, however, I will ask posters to get refocused on the big picture. Maybe even prompt a better direction. It is unrealistic to expect posters to be completely linear in a forum.

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
SSA

I have explained it before I canceled my membership 2 years ago. Some how I go back here.

Please don't cancel again and do keep participating. Your unique life and experience is valuable to me and, I'm sure, to others.

Of course, the individual must experience it for hirself, yet hearing of others' journeys can be useful, giving hints that we can use. I know it gets discouraging when people keep looking at your finger instead of where you're pointing, but you never know when someone will make that breakthrough.

:sippingcoffee:

seeker3k

SPNer
May 24, 2008
canada
The connection lies with the idea that simran will help you through the tough times. seeker3 ji has been trying to explain that, in his opinion, no one has been able to establish why simran would be helpful. Or why beliefs and practices of any religion, Sikhi included, would help either.

The conversation is going in circles at this point. We are not really looking at a digression. It is more like elaboration of an idea. Does simran help or not? Does Sikhi help or not? Questions asked, answered, and asked again with increasing amounts of personal detail. Then the core question got buried about 2 pages back.

If it goes on much longer, however, I will ask posters to get refocused on the big picture. Maybe even prompt a better direction. It is unrealistic to expect posters to be completely linear in a forum.

SSA

Yes in my experience simran does help if the shabad is right and done right
One just can not pick up any shabad and do any which way he want.
As in my friend's case he been doing that for 30 years still he do not understand what is going IN. I will stop my self to write any more on this topic. Will move along to others if some thing interesting comes along

Thanks all who participated
sorry for upsetting others

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
seeker3k ji

I along with others enjoyed your comments very much. Please do not think you have to leave this thread. You were not really digressing and threads sometimes do need to look down a different path for a short time.

Apologies if there was any offense.

palaingtha

SPNer
Aug 28, 2012
Jagmohan Singh ji,

In my view Gobind Singh did much more then singing. Many people do not know what he did. It is not rituals not just talk he did some thing very profound act that no one has done it in India before him. I can say even after him.
I rather not explain it is very controversial. It can break people’s faith. If faith is broken of a person then he/she is lost for ever. Person is depended on faith even if it is wrong faith.

Guru Nanak told us how to live proper life. But Gobind Singh showed us.

The story about 5 pyare did not happen the way we have been told.

Not praising Hinduism here but Hindus have one fast in every month. It is scientific way to keep body fit give body rest for one day. They put the fast in religion. People only do if it is in religion. There are many things they put in religion. Like not to eat cow meat not to cut pepal tree. We Sikhs are more ritualistic then Hindus. But we fail to see.

You said to be counted for, sure it was needed then to carry sword and have dress that can be recognize any where. Those days were very brutal. People in India lost their self esteem. Now the times has been changed. It is what we do will make us stand out not by our cloths or 6” knife. Action speaks louder then talk.

There is only one thing person have to follow that is do not think bad things about any one or any life.

I want to respond on two of the points raised by you:-
1). "It is a scientific way to skip meals once a month". So believed our elders too.
During our childhood we had to perforce take laxative every month to remain fit. When I grew up to 15-16 years I humbly protested to my parents with my reasoning that we grow weak by taking laxatives and above that remain without food for half a day which tormented us. My father agreed to it and since that day I have never taken laxative. The routine was also stopped from that day. People around sixty/sixty five slow down their movements and wait to ask their sons/daughters to favour them with some chores like, going to the post office, bank, market place etc. but I walk or scoot as and when occasion demands. People around me think all Sikhs are dashing like this.
What is required in life for good health is to live a sober life, use all kinds/verities of cereals,vegetables and fruits even the humble fruits like banana and guava and, remain active. I don't take alcoholic drinks but, I relish non-veg food as and when feel like eating but, not too often.
I don't skip food routinely but I am, with the grace of God, fit and fine.

2). I am of the same opinion with you as regards Kirpan. After taking Pahul Khade Di/Amrit Chhak Ke (A formal admission into Sikhism) you are required to have five Kakkars, and in my opinion you can keep the 3 foot long Kirpan at home while keeping the other four in tact all the time with you. I do not want to discuss this matter in detail as this might jeopardise the rights of other Sikhs who carry the 6" Kirpan.
Sat Siri Akal.

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
I want to respond on two of the points raised by you:-
1). "It is a scientific way to skip meals once a month". So believed our elders too.
During our childhood we had to perforce take laxative every month to remain fit. When I grew up to 15-16 years I humbly protested to my parents with my reasoning that we grow weak by taking laxatives and above that remain without food for half a day which tormented us.

I am only wondering is it scientific way to skip meals once a month. Does it mean we keep on stuffing and then skip meals once a month? But on the contrary gurbani tells us, 'ਖੰਡਿਤ ਨਿਦ੍ਰਾ ਅਲਪ ਅਹਾਰੰ ਨਾਨਕ ਤਤੁ ਬੀਚਾਰੋ ॥੮॥ - fill the belly only sixty percent and sleep less - if really eaten less, it stablizes the agitation in mind. O Nanak this is the essence of wisdom.
Thus Gursikhs are fasting everyday. The process described by guru sahib does not overload the body and abuse the beautiful machinery/apparatus gifted to us FREE without any effort on our part.

best regards
sahno

gaiafollower

SPNer
Apr 7, 2013
Being disabled and on Social Security income (which is very little to live on) I find it hard to even wake up and face the world every day. I try to meditate and I have a loving heart for all of the world's creatures and the universe but my situation in life and my inability to find a way out of my circumstances makes it very hard for me to feel the joy of spirit that I feel I am deserving of. If anyone has any thoughts on this please feel free to respond.:singhfacepalm:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Being disabled and on Social Security income (which is very little to live on) I find it hard to even wake up and face the world every day. I try to meditate and I have a loving heart for all of the world's creatures and the universe but my situation in life and my inability to find a way out of my circumstances makes it very hard for me to feel the joy of spirit that I feel I am deserving of. If anyone has any thoughts on this please feel free to respond.:singhfacepalm:
Maybe you are suffering from depression, it is a terrible way to feel. Can you be a bit more specific about the disability that you have? are your circumstances impossible to escape from? There are a huge amount of resources here on this forum that may help, but if you could elaborate a bit more, if you feel able to, maybe someone can assist, even if it is practical help, or point you in the right direction

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA

I am 61 years old, a widow, permanently disabled and on Social Security Disability. Please let us know more about your situation.

The worst for me came when my landlady told me I had to move because she wanted my apartment where I had lived for 9 years for her son and his new wife. I discovered that all the low cost senior/disabled housing in my area had waiting lists of over a year. I knew that I would die or be killed almost immediately on the streets. I was scared, very scared and could have easily slipped into depression. I'm not entirely sure why I didn't. It might be because a stroke I had affected my judgement and I just didn't have sense enough. Still, I used every psychological/spiritual/way out there trick I knew to keep my figurative head above water.

arshdeep88

SPNer
Mar 13, 2013
Gaiafollower ji
i understand it might be tough for you to go through such circumstances being disabled and facing with financial circumstances

but there is one guy named NICK VUJICI
Mind you he was born with no legs and arms
His speeches are sort of inspiring and motivating .He is of christian faith(personally i have no problems with his faith but sometimes people are reluctant to watch videos of people coming from different faith)
my advice do see the video as it might help you relate with your disabiltiy problem and inspire you better.
if you get time you can see the video in the link below which i provided
Nicholas James Vujicic _No arms.._ No legs.._ No worries!.wmv - YouTube

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
arshdeep ji

I would like to comment that the man in the YouTube is very resentful of people who are not Christians. He may have learned to live with his disabilities, but he is a hypocrite. I personally find his videos offensive.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
arshdeep ji

I would like to comment that the man in the YouTube is very resentful of people who are not Christians. He may have learned to live with his disabilities, but he is a hypocrite. I personally find his videos offensive.

I guess that's the next mental hurdle this man will have to overcome on his journey towards Waheguru.

I'll say a little prayer for him tonight in my ardaas.

God bless

arshdeep88

SPNer
Mar 13, 2013
Dear Respeted elder sister
I dont know, as personally i haven't came across any message of him being resentful to non christians or not.If that is the case then it do comes across as a sorry and disappointing message and incident but if looked on the other side of this apart from religious things and him being hypocrite , his life indeed is inspirational which is positive side of him.

Sometimes we have the habbit of getting depressed seeing too much into things that we dont have or are lacking behind .When we see people facing the same circumstances and in the same situations as we are we feel consoled and seeing them move ahead we too get inspiration to move ahead.
Thats why i posted this video for giafollower ji so that He can relate himself with his disabilities more and may get some required motivation and inspiration.

if Nick is being resentful to non christians then it is truly disappointing to know.how it gonna affect me ?hmmm
Imay not respect him the same as i earlier use to do but will always respect him for living against the odds and inspiring many more.

Last edited:

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Dear Respeted elder sister
I dont know, as personally i haven't came across any message of him being resentful to non christians or not.If that is the case then it do comes across as a sorry and disappointing message and incident but if looked on the other side of this apart from religious things and him being hypocrite , his life indeed is inspirational which is positive side of him.

Sometimes we have the habbit of getting depressed seeing too much into things that we dont have or are lacking behind .When we see people facing the same circumstances and in the same situations as we are we feel consoled and seeing them move ahead we too get inspiration to move ahead.
Thats why i posted this video for giafollower ji so that He can relate himself with his disabilities more and may get some required motivation and inspiration.

if Nick is being resentful to non christians then it is truly disappointing to know.how it gonna affect me ?hmmm
Imay not respect him the same as i earlier use to do but will always respect him for living against the odds and inspiring many more.

Well Said Arshdeep Ji,

about one and a half years ago, i used to drink a lot of alcohol and at the same time was posting messages on this forum like i "knew everything about sikhi"

I was the biggest Hypocrite! I'm just thankful that Guru Ji has taken me by the arm and put me on a better path....maybe someone said a prayer for me :)

my point is, we all have things that need improving, characteristics, behaviours etc that need cleansing...rather than getting upset at certain aspects of others behaviours, maybe we can use that energy to send a prayer out instead.

Hopefully the same person can overcome these mental attitudes in the same was as he overcame his disability.

God Bless

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
chazsingji

One of the responsibilities of forum admins worldwide is to think ahead and ask if a message will get someone other than himself/herself "upset" -- on behalf of other people. Some members may even see the video as a form of Christian proselytizing.

Even facebook has had to face up to this. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22701082

It is easy to preach to others. It is hard to keep one's mouth shut.

Last edited:

arshdeep88

SPNer
Mar 13, 2013
chaaz ji TRUST me i am bigger hypocrite than all the people here.
At times i hate myself for many things ,i am not disciplined in my life that has costed me many things including my career,i have been very naive which again has costed me lot of things .But when things costs you more and through painful experience you learn well more.Everyone says do this and do that right from the childhood but you only learn when you yourself get to learn after the avoidable circumstances which could have been avoided hense learning more and trying to avoid them in future and live better in ways.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
chazsingji

One of the responsibilities of forum admins worldwide is to think ahead and ask if a message will get someone other than himself/herself "upset" -- on behalf of other people.

Even facebook has had to face up to this. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22701082

It is easy to preach to others. It is hard to keep one's mouth shut.

Admin Ji,

It was not a dig at you :) i understand the responsibilities you have as forum admins...i know i couldn't do what you guys do.

i was merely saying that we can learn a lot from this persons life journey, and for all things negative i personally would much rather send a prayer out.

more than often i've made the mistake of focussing on people's negatives and missing the beauty in the positive things they have overcome in their lives...there's a lot i could have learned and should have learned from people by making this judgement. One big hypocrite i am :(

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: