Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

How Do I Make My Keyboard Type With This Gurmukhi Font? (font by Paul Grosse)

Discussion in 'Gurbani Download' started by Ishna, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Ishna

Ishna
    Expand Collapse
    On hiatus
    Writer SPNer Contributor

Sat Sri Akaal

So I've downloaded the Gurvetica font from here: http://www.billie.grosse.is-a-geek.com/resources-03a.html?s=utdf because it's free to use and I can embed it into PDFs so they display regardless if you have the font on your PC or not.

But I can't for the life of my figure out how to type in it. I've installed it, I select if as the font in Word, but when I type it comes out Roman.

Any of you tech-savvy Gursikhs able to help me?

I've got other Gurmukhi fonts installed (Dr. Thind's) but I understand they are licensed.

I'm running Windows 7 Basic, in case that's important.

Many thanks
    Ishna

• Like Like x 2
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Humor 20 Types Of Gurdwara-Goers Blogs Nov 7, 2016
    Controversial Watch 3 Badass Women Destroy Stereotypes About Body Hair Hard Talk Aug 1, 2016
    Types of Karas Questions and Answers Sep 6, 2014
    How many different types of Sikhs are there? Sikh Sikhi Sikhism Jul 8, 2014
    Opinion Media Stereotypes and the 'Missing White Woman Syndrome" Breaking News May 9, 2013

3. Gyani Jarnail Singh

Gyani Jarnail Singh Malaysia
    Expand Collapse
    Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
    Mentor Writer SPNer Contributor

Ishna Ji..have you tired this...

go to Google...type in a typical question like this one..." how do i type in punjabi in windows 7"...and voila...all the answers are there.

I have enabled Langauge Support in Win 7..it works..I have also installed LIPIKAR (Free software)..that also works very well...after you install Lipikar..there will be a toolbar on your desktop which TOGGLES Keyboard for languages..english..punjabi..Hindi..Urdu..etc. Since I now work on HIDI and URDU ( although my knowledge of these languages is minimal..) i am learning to type in them easily..toggling the keyboard effortlessly.

Hope this helps ji..

BTW..i have made it a POINT to always ASK GOOGLE JI FIRST....never failed me..no matter what the quest...rnaging form how to make cream cheese smoother to whats this mean in Farsee ?...he he he...or turkmenian...GOOGLE JI is the BEST.

Cheers..

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ishna

Ishna
    Expand Collapse
    On hiatus
    Writer SPNer Contributor

Thanks Gyani ji, I do try Google as often as I can as I don't want to bother the forum with silly questions, however I just can't figure this out. My question is about using this font specifically, not just about typing in Gurmukhi as I can do that quite easily using other resources.

Many thanks

• Like Like x 4
  5. Gyani Jarnail Singh

Expand Collapse
    Sawa lakh se EK larraoan

in that case its a real case for techies..let me ask my kids when they get back from work..hopefully one of them will ahve an answer..cheers and regards

• Like Like x 3
  6. Gyani Jarnail Singh

Expand Collapse
    Sawa lakh se EK larraoan

OK I figured out whats your problem..maybe ?? You just have to ENABLE Language support in Win 7. Choose to ADD additional Keybaords INPUT when prompted.

Since I have ALL 239 Fonts from Billie the Cat installed on my laptop..i selected one of them BULARA in Word Font Dialogue box...and when i typed..it was BULARA in GURMUKHI...so no problem...so like you say when you select Bulara and type out comes Roman..it means your WIN 7 is NOT language enabled. problem solved.

step by step:
    Go to CONTROL PANEL: clicking on the "Start"' menu and pressing the "Control Panel" icon. Make sure you are in category view. Select the icon that says "Clock, Language and Regional Options" and then select "Region and Language"

2. Select the "Format" tab and make sure you select the option saying "English (USA)" and select "Punjabi (India)". If you are outside India, please use "Additional Settings" and Change Currency or Select "Location" Tab to select Location.

INPUT: PUNJABI...

After you save and exit..there will be "EN" and "PUN" on your NOTIFICATION section desktop toolbar etc..
    you use the ALT+SHIFT to toggle.

You can use the combination ALT + SHIFT to switch between different keyboard layouts (e.g. from a English Keyboard to Gurmukhi and vice-versa).

Don't know Punjabi Keyboard?
    if you are new to Punjabi input and don't know Punjabi Keyboard Layout, there is easy solution to input Punjabi "On-Screen Keyboard".
    On-Screen Keyboard can be accessed by clicking on the "Start" -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Ease to Access -> On-Screen Keyboard"

try and see... after you have learnt any one keyboard for any GURMUKHI FONT (my fav is ANMOL LIPI)..then just carry on as normal by selecting FONT in WORD...

to CHANGE FOTS go to www.algasoft/punjabi convertor utility on the web..that changes different fonts into others.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Ishna

Ishna
    Expand Collapse
    On hiatus
    Writer SPNer Contributor

Thanks Gyaniji, that's exactly what I needed!

It's confusing when some fonts type straight out but others need this toggle. Many thanks again.

• Like Like x 2
  8. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Reading all this proved without doubt that I have a dumb streak. It also proved that I am fortunate to have a Macintosh.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Gyani Jarnail Singh

Expand Collapse
    Sawa lakh se EK larraoan

Ishana Ji,

Your computer WIN 7 is NOT Language enabled.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/86204-keyboard-input-language-add-remove.html

I checked and since I have ALL the 239 Gurmukhi fonts form Billie installed..there was no problem when i chose BULARA font in WORD FONT BOX...the Keyboard input typed GURMUKHI...not Roman as your computer did. I normally use ANMOL LIPI as its very nice and easy to type..Bulara and many of Billies fonts use the same keyboard keys..i tried a few more as well.

Hope this helps solve your problem.

• Like Like x 3
  10. aristotle

aristotle
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor

I use Pramukh IME keypad. It supports typing in Unicode Indic fonts(works on all computers), is free and easy to use. Hope that helps. :)

• Like Like x 3
  11. Ishna

Ishna
    Expand Collapse
    On hiatus
    Writer SPNer Contributor

As I understand it Pramukh and Lipikaar are both free add-ons for Firefox. Whenever I try to run the installer for Firefox it hangs my PC. I really need to reformat. >.<

• Like Like x 2
  12. aristotle

aristotle
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor

Pramukh is also available as an application file. I can send you the attachment if you need it. Works fine with my Google Chrome.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Ishna

Ishna
    Expand Collapse
    On hiatus
    Writer SPNer Contributor

Gah, I can't make paer rara in this crazy Gurvetica font - it should be shift-3. :yellingsardarni: I just get a demented little line and then the actual rara or wawa next to it.

Can any of you with Gurvetica installed get a ਪ੍ਰ ?

I'm about to give up and use another font to be honest.

14. aristotle

aristotle
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor

Anmol Lipi is my pick. Though Raavi also looks pretty decent to me, used to work with it a lot on Punjabi Wikipedia. Its well adapted to formatting and all on MS Office programmes.
    Anyways, I'm nothing more than a novice at these things, others members may give better suggestions.

15. Ishna

Ishna
    Expand Collapse
    On hiatus
    Writer SPNer Contributor

Thanks Aristotle ji.

I am SO confused now. Unicode, TrueType, ASCII, installed, not installed, keyboard layouts, language bars, weird letters, no ik onkars -- I have a lot more respect for people who can work with this stuff now!

I just want to type in a font I can turn into a PDF and legally share with people on the Internet and which they can read. How hard can it be? :kaurfacepalm:

Anyway I'll stop spamming the forum now and report back when I've figured it out. It might not be today, it might not be tomorrow, but I WILL figure it out.

• Like Like x 5
  16. Gyani Jarnail Singh

Expand Collapse
    Sawa lakh se EK larraoan

Yeah ALL the Billie cat fonts work..Gurbani lipi fonts, Amrit lipi fonts and anmol lipi works..its typed with lowercase p and then SHIFT R

• Like Like x 2
  17. Ishna

Ishna
    Expand Collapse
    On hiatus
    Writer SPNer Contributor

Nope, shift-R gives me iri and biharee!

I got AnmolLipi papa paer rara, highlighted it and changed font to Gurvetica and it STILL came out funny lookin'.

Anyway I've given up on the Billie fonts for now. I think the AnmolLipi font is open license being one of Dr Thind's older creations so I'll take my chances with it.

I've also downloaded Dr Thind's keyboard layout and installed it, I think that will make things easier. :peacesign:
    I got this great stuff from here: http://www.gurbanifiles.org/unicode/

Many thanks again.

• Like Like x 2