• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

How Could The Gurus Do That?

S

sodhi

God has no shape, form, or body. If nobody can describe God, how could the Gurus do that?

FireStorm

SPNer
Jun 3, 2004
UK
No,

the Gurus admitted thatno one can describe God.

They gave pointers to some very important characterstics of God, that make him Unique and unconusable with any other entity.

Also Suggest that yopu read Mul Mantar and Jap Ji Sahib and Jaap sahib :)

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
sodhi veer ji,

As rightly pointed out by FireStorm, Sikh Gurus defined attributes of the supreme power 'Ik Ong Kaar' or more commonly called God. There is just nothing similar to Him, to make an analogy, that s why called not describable.

Best Regards.

sarbjit_01

SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
ENGLAND
The Guru's didnt describe what waheguru ji looked like.

they just told us that waheguru ji is beyond human, formless, shapeless...
they didnt say that waheguru ji was male or female. they didnt say that waheguru ji was a certin shape, or form or colour
they just told us that there is nobody anywhere that can match up to waheguru ji because we have a human shape and form, we are not invincible, we dont know everything.
the guru's were just telling us that waheguru ji is unique and cannot be defined.
there is no irony about it.

Jul 13, 2004
UK
All you have to do is look at three words of the English meaning of SGGS within the first line:

CREATIVE BEING PERSONIFIED

This makes it clear that whenever Waheguru is described with feet in SGGS it is done for poetic perposes, the creative being is personified purely to offer worship to him and describe his qualities, we as humans must learn from SGGS and look for the deeper meanings.

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Jaap Sahib mukhvaak explains so clearly about the karma qualities of Waheguru. And complete Jaap Sahib is about ustat in different names. In the mukhvaak as below, Guru sahib says:

qÍ srb nwm kQY kvn krm nwm brnq sumq]1]

meaning of above is: You (God) has so many names, which are totally undescribable. O God, give me enough wisdom to illustrate the karma names at least. Jaap Sahib is full of Karma names. And Guru Sahib keeps on repeating that it is impossible to understand the creation and creator with our limited perceptions.

Hope that helps.

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
God has no shape, form, or body. If nobody can describe God, how could the Gurus do that?
Dear Sodhi

It will become more easy to disscus thi sif you could tell us how you concluded that guru ji has described the god .

As i understand if you read translation of JAPJi Sahib And Jap Sahib it is has been repeated several times again and again that it is immposible to describe even a single attribute of Akal Purakh ( God ) Si there is no reason to think taht Guruji ever asserted to describe god fully in any sense

Jatinder Singh

Sher Singh

SPNer
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
sarbjit_01 said:
The Guru's didnt describe what waheguru ji looked like.

they just told us that waheguru ji is beyond human, formless, shapeless...
they didnt say that waheguru ji was male or female. they didnt say that waheguru ji was a certin shape, or form or colour
they just told us that there is nobody anywhere that can match up to waheguru ji because we have a human shape and form, we are not invincible, we dont know everything.
the guru's were just telling us that waheguru ji is unique and cannot be defined.
there is no irony about it.

Also, id like to add, in the Jaap Sahib, there is no describing of God and how he looks like, its pure praising, just like the Entire SGGS is. Sikhi is about Prasing God, not describing God.

nwnk kwgd lK mxw piV piV kIcY Bwau ] O Nanak, if I had hundreds of thousands of stacks of paper, and if I were to read and recite and embrace love for the Lord, naanak kaagad lakh manaa parh parh keechai bhaa-o. msU qoit n AwveI lyKix pauxu clwau ] and if ink were never to fail me, and if my pen were able to move like the wind masoo tot na aavee laykhan pa-un chalaa-o. BI qyrI kImiq nw pvY hau kyvfu AwKw nwau ]4]2] -even so, I could not estimate Your Value. How can I describe the Greatness of Your Name? ||4||2|| bhee tayree keemat naa pavai ha-o kayvad aakhaa naa-o. ||4||2|| As you have seen, God is indescribable, but you can praise him as much as you can, lol. :eek:ohyeah:

Last edited by a moderator:

Anoop

SPNer
Mar 12, 2006
London Uk
God cannot be descried. The more we try to think we know what god looks like, the more we become confused and angry and we get headaches lol. Waheguru is the origin of everything. So everything is from god. Every single thing, every illusion is part of god. The problem i have is that, i try to visualise god, but i can't, because i know its not the truth. God is undescribable. Its too too too hard. Infact its impossible to see what god looks like. It may be possible to meet him through meditation but i dont think anyone can actually see what god is. Even the word god is nothing against the actual god. When we pin point something as one, and it is the strongest thing there is, we are ssatisfied that we are apart of it. We like to know that there is one thing that is all powerful so that we are not alone. God dont need to show us who god is. God is around its the origin, with no form, we cant even think about what god is. God is all powerful and the ultimate which we cant even think about. God is the most powerful word in this life. There is no ending for everyone. This is just a human life, which is in the originaters hand. Even if we die, we will still be in gods hands. Its eternity. But that doesn't mean we kill ourselves purposely. As we know that there is a god, we know that there is a meaning to earth, so we must meet this life efficiently, as god has commanded. God is the origin but we cannot visualise it. It is out of reach of our human powers. We can meet it, but can not see what it is or anything. Its hard!! Waheguru is our master

Amarpal

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 11, 2004
India
Dear sodhi Ji,

You know we have evolved to such a level today in science and technology, where we can cerate complex system. Yet, we cannot create a single blade of grass. Some intelligence is doing it. This cosmic intelligence is 'The Sat' what you call God.

To validate my understanding, I have applied all what is said in the Mool Mantar of Siri Guru Granth Sahib, this concept of 'The Sat' hold.

On this website there is one of my post in which I have elaborated on this validation of my understanding.

Dear Anup Ji,

'The Sat' is always true. I donot agree that illusion or Maya is part of it. It is part of creation of 'The Sat' but not of 'The Sat' proper; 'The Sat' is immaculate.

I elaborate on it. Let us take colours. We see them in every entity around us, yet I know it is an illusion. I know you will not agree, but wait I am explaining what I have said.

We see the object on which light falls, light itself is not visible to us. If light was visible to us we would have seen it as it passes through the space from the sun to moon; we see the moon but the night sky remains dark even thoudg the light is passing through it. This way we know that we can see the object on which the light is falling but not the light proper.

The light falling on the object interacts with it. some of the frequencies of light are reflected back by the object, the others are absobed by it. The reflected light, which we really cannot see, enters our eyes and fall on our retina. The cones and rode in the retina convert the impinging light energy (photons) into electrical signals and passes it on to the visual cortex in the brain. Please note that there is no colour up till now. The electrical signals from the retina are interpreted by the brain as colour. So you see, the colour is in the brain, it may not be the property of matter. It is illusion - Maya. It is not a part of 'Yhe Sat' but due to our limitations

Nano particals, we know appear to be of different colour at different partical sizes. Bulk Gold is yellow. at some particle size it looks blue and at some other size ( all at nano level) looks red, because the interaction of light at different partical size of the matter is different. Since the same matter keeps changing in colour, the colurs are not any intrinsic fundamental property of any material. As i have said above, colurs are not in the matter but in our minds. They are the creation of our mind for convenience of living. All that mind creates is Maya.

That is why I say that the illusion is not part of 'The Sat' but comes from our limitations. Since we are part of creation I say that illusion is not a part of 'The Sat' proper but is a part of the creation of 'The Sat'. The Sat is always pure, the immaculate, the truth and only truth.

With love and respect for all.

Amarpal Singh.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
they admitted even they cudnt describe god if they described god the whole time they were on earth then sikhism wudnt have existed and there wud be nothing of them lol

this is why because it says in the guru granth sahib that u cant give a complete description of god because ur life is too short

isnt that crazy lol?
but it makes sense throw a sugar cube in to a river (at the beginning) do u think u ll find it where the river ends

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM