Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Sign Up Now!

How 2 store mutli combo box values into separate table columns

Discussion in 'Information Technology' started by NickKnowsley, Jul 28, 2006.

  1. NickKnowsley

    NickKnowsley
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    IS it possible to split out mulitple combo values into separate columns (in
    the same table)?

    Many thanks in advance
     
  2. Loading...

    Similar Threads Forum Date
    Heritage Private Firm Engaged to Restore Interiors of Harmandar Sahib History of Sikhism Nov 16, 2013
    USA 2 Sikhs shot dead in US utility store Breaking News Sep 8, 2013
    UK Rare Set of Sikh Armour to be Restored Breaking News Aug 16, 2013
    SciTech Eternal Sunshine of the Bionic Mind: Prosthesis Could Restore Memory Breaking News Jun 24, 2013
    An American Turned Sikh to Restore Ancient Gurdwaras Sikh Gurdwaras Jan 10, 2013

  3. John Vinson

    John Vinson
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 07:08:02 -0700, NickKnowsley
    <NickKnowsley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >IS it possible to split out mulitple combo values into separate columns (in
    >the same table)?
    >
    >Many thanks in advance


    You can *display* multiple columns' values on a Form with textboxes
    with control source

    =comboboxname.Column(n)

    where n is the zero based index of the column.

    However, storing these values redundantly in a second table is
    generally not a good idea.

    John W. Vinson[MVP]
     
  4. NickKnowsley

    NickKnowsley
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    Thnaks John - Sorry I musn't have been clear in my request. I'm displaying
    multiple values from one table in my database but I need to store these
    multiple values (once selected by the user) in another (related) database
    table. Is this possible? If so how?

    Many thanks

    Nick

    "John Vinson" wrote:

    > On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 07:08:02 -0700, NickKnowsley
    > <NickKnowsley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >IS it possible to split out mulitple combo values into separate columns (in
    > >the same table)?
    > >
    > >Many thanks in advance

    >
    > You can *display* multiple columns' values on a Form with textboxes
    > with control source
    >
    > =comboboxname.Column(n)
    >
    > where n is the zero based index of the column.
    >
    > However, storing these values redundantly in a second table is
    > generally not a good idea.
    >
    > John W. Vinson[MVP]
    >
     
  5. John Vinson

    John Vinson
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 01:44:01 -0700, NickKnowsley
    <NickKnowsley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Thnaks John - Sorry I musn't have been clear in my request. I'm displaying
    >multiple values from one table in my database but I need to store these
    >multiple values (once selected by the user) in another (related) database
    >table. Is this possible? If so how?


    Why?

    Storing data redundantly is almost NEVER either necessary or prudent.
    It wastes space; more importantly, it means that you have all that
    many more places to track down and edit if any of the data ever
    changes.

    You're using a relational database. Use it relationally! Store the
    data ONCE, and only once; then use Queries joining the tables to view
    the data in related tables whenever needed.

    If you have some GOOD reason to copy the data into a second table
    please explain. It can be done - it's just that it generally should
    NOT be done.

    John W. Vinson[MVP]
     

Share This Page