• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

History Of Sikhism

Luke Lim

SPNer
Feb 29, 2016
Dear all,

I am new to Sikhism.
In order to learn and understand Sikhism, would I have to first understand the prevalent religious beliefs of Hinduism and Islam in India at the time of Guru Nanak before I continue learning Sikhism.

Please kindly advise me.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Dear all,

I am new to Sikhism.
In order to learn and understand Sikhism, would I have to first understand the prevalent religious beliefs of Hinduism and Islam in India at the time of Guru Nanak before I continue learning Sikhism.

Please kindly advise me.

I do not believe that would be of any benefit, just dive in, Sikhism is a non superstitious, non ritualistic, pragmatic religion

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Dear all,

I am new to Sikhism.

Please kindly advise me.

It helps to know a little bit, but you can pick it up as you go along. Sikhi is its own fully fledged way of life. :)

Welcome to SPN!

ActsOfGod

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
Dear all,

I am new to Sikhism.

Please kindly advise me.

It depends on what your reason is. Are you doing research for a paper, or are you inquiring because you're looking for a spiritual path to follow?

[AoG]

Luke Lim

SPNer
Feb 29, 2016
Thank you all for your kind replies.
I only have a brief understanding of Hinduism & Islam and will try to pick up as much as I go along.
I am inquiring because I am looking for a spiritual path to follow.
I have read the books, The Wisdom of Sikhism and Knowing Guru Nanak.
I agreed with the beliefs of Sikhism and would like to find out more about Sikhism.

Apr 11, 2007
For me personally if someone asked me if I'm a Muslim I would say yes. If someone asked if I'm a Hindu I'd say yes. If someone asked if I'm a Buddhist I'd say yes. As the term Sikh means student and the Guru Granth Sahib ji gives a good guide on the terms of shabads from Allah, Hari, Ram, through to Waheguru ji. I may not the best definition of there terms of agreement but I would say are you the best terms of agreement of being a human being. Many different types of words but my whole acceptance is the Guru Granth Sahib ji in its full version. I guess the term Sikh is just the amalgamation of God as it just derives that you are a student of God. How deep or far people accept the definition of God is something for the conscious. Me I see God or nature in everything so to define a Sikh in history you need to look at humans in general. From; Tyranny to Peace (the acceptance of a multitude of thoughts). So much of it has been lost over the generations it's an appalling show of establishments and bureaucracy. As Guru nanak stated there is no Hindu or Muslim and as the Guru Granth Sahib ji starts off with the truth of one's acknowledgment of words and there unique facet suchlike as Ek Onkar is forever more transcending of almighty God. I always call myself a Sikh. It's a valuation process really they want to devise a category let's call everyone a lunatic and be done with it. Sikh means the end total not divisions. Like they do with name calling. I'd say if you want to do that follow a football team. Not a peaceful religion. Fools.

Last edited:

ActsOfGod

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
Thank you all for your kind replies.
I only have a brief understanding of Hinduism & Islam and will try to pick up as much as I go along.
I am inquiring because I am looking for a spiritual path to follow.
I have read the books, The Wisdom of Sikhism and Knowing Guru Nanak.
I agreed with the beliefs of Sikhism and would like to find out more about Sikhism.

Welcome. You will learn and discover for yourself. My best advice is to begin by reading the "Japji Sahib", which is the first teaching from Guru Nanak Sahib. It contains 38 pauri's (stanza's) and a Salok at the ending. It gives the message of Sikhi in a nutshell. Sikhs read the Japji every morning upon arising. It contains beautiful gems of spiritual wisdom.

You can find multiple sources, I have copied three below which you can access online. They contain English translations. It is worthwhile to reference different sources for the English translations because the translations can never be 100% accurate.

PAGE 1 - Gurmukhi to English Translation and Phonetic Transliteration of Siri Guru Granth Sahib.

Sri Granth: Sri Guru Granth Sahib

Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji -: Ang : 1 -:ਸ਼੍ਰੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਜੀ :- SearchGurbani.com

[AoG]

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Welcome. You will learn and discover for yourself. My best advice is to begin by reading the "Japji Sahib", which is the first teaching from Guru Nanak Sahib. It contains 38 pauri's (stanza's) and a Salok at the ending. It gives the message of Sikhi in a nutshell. Sikhs read the Japji every morning upon arising. It contains beautiful gems of spiritual wisdom.

You can find multiple sources, I have copied three below which you can access online. They contain English translations. It is worthwhile to reference different sources for the English translations because the translations can never be 100% accurate.

PAGE 1 - Gurmukhi to English Translation and Phonetic Transliteration of Siri Guru Granth Sahib.

Sri Granth: Sri Guru Granth Sahib

Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji -: Ang : 1 -:ਸ਼੍ਰੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਜੀ :- SearchGurbani.com

[AoG]

Japji Sahib sounds like the logical place to start, but perhaps it's actually more or a compass along the way, something that blossoms over time with understanding. For a seeker in the very beginning, it's cryptic poetry is more like a flower bud.

Sure, read Japji Sahib, it's good to tick that box. But don't stop there. Keep reading, page after page of Gurbani. The more pages you read, the more things become clear. And next time you come back to reading Japji Sahib, little things it says will start to fall into place.

ActsOfGod

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
Japji Sahib sounds like the logical place to start, but perhaps it's actually more or a compass along the way, something that blossoms over time with understanding. For a seeker in the very beginning, it's cryptic poetry is more like a flower bud.

Sure, read Japji Sahib, it's good to tick that box. But don't stop there. Keep reading, page after page of Gurbani. The more pages you read, the more things become clear. And next time you come back to reading Japji Sahib, little things it says will start to fall into place.

Please note that I stated "begin by reading Japji Sahib". I never advised to only read Japji Sahib and to stop there.

Quite disheartening that you view reading Japji Sahib as just another "checkbox to tick". Or that you misunderstand what I wrote so blatantly as to make such a statement.

[AoG]

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Please note that I stated "begin by reading Japji Sahib". I never advised to only read Japji Sahib and to stop there.

Quite disheartening that you view reading Japji Sahib as just another "checkbox to tick". Or that you misunderstand what I wrote so blatantly as to make such a statement.

[AoG]

It's likewise disheartening that you interpreted my post in such a negative way. I didn't mean it like that. Why would I meant it like that? :(

What I mean is that it's good to read over all the regular bania in the first instance.

What I see sometimes, is new people reading Japji Sahib, for instance, and then getting confused about it. Getting stuck on it and not reading more. People shouldn't feel that they need to understand Japji Sahib straight away, or that if they don't understand it, that Sikhi is too hard to learn.

Take it as you will.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM