• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Hindu Aarti In Gurdwara

GURVINDER

SPNer
Sep 8, 2006
Thise Aari,havan,vrat Are Called Karamkands Thise May Lead To Hipocracy Because If Your Mind Is Not Pure Then What Is The Need To Do Thise Kind Of Hipocracy

mkd

SPNer
Oct 15, 2007
wjkk wjkf
guys why are we goinn soo farr donnt u guys remmeber the sakhi of guru nanak dev ji where he condemned the aarti happening in a mandir...
gagan mai thal rav chand deepak baney.
the sky is the thaal and the sun, moon ann stars are the deevey...
we have the answer in guru granth sahib ji den y are we mislead..
i agree that w.e is happening in sri hajoor sahib is totally wrong it shudnn happen because guru sahib has told us bout the "real aarti" that happens by itself anyways..

sorry if i sed anything rong.. correct me plzz

Aug 18, 2005
Fremont, California
Next time I see Hindu Artee in a gurdwara, I will blow a shanda, Hindu shell and say "Namastee", welcome to a pakandi mandar disguised as gurdwara sahib. Village people are not educated and they follow pakandi saints sponsored by the Indian government. They rape women as well and commit murder on anyone who squeals on them.

Beeba

SPNer
Apr 23, 2007
wjkk wjkf
guys why are we goinn soo farr donnt u guys remmeber the sakhi of guru nanak dev ji where he condemned the aarti happening in a mandir...
gagan mai thal rav chand deepak baney.
the sky is the thaal and the sun, moon ann stars are the deevey...
we have the answer in guru granth sahib ji den y are we mislead..
i agree that w.e is happening in sri hajoor sahib is totally wrong it shudnn happen because guru sahib has told us bout the "real aarti" that happens by itself anyways..

sorry if i sed anything rong.. correct me plzz

Hey, Can you tell me where I can find this sakhi? or if you know it, then tell me what Guru Nanak Dev Ji said word per word, thanks!
-Beeba

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
If I had my ways, I would run a Gurdwara which has on its grounds smaller altars for every faith to come to the gurdwara grounds and worship their own way. This is wishful thinking only because there's no way I will be able to convince people that our rituals and ceremonies are only earthly in nature.

harharikaur

SPNer
Nov 6, 2006
Cambridge, England
Wahe Guru Ji Kar Khalsa Wahe guru Ji Ki Fateh

Thank you for your knowledge and understanding on this subject. As a European sikh, I understand that the essential flavour of sikhism needs to be maintained, but that, for me, Nanak's essential message was to recognise the god in all, serve all, love all, and your reply puts this back into the picture.
Forgive me, but I do not understand all that you say. Please hep me. What does it mean when you say "as Hindu do Arti of their demi gods so we must not do our Arti of Akal". A ceremony which connects us to the undying would be welcome, no? Please accept my ignorance, i come to Sikhism beyond any upbringing or knowledge, just was pulled here by by heart, and i have no wish to offend, none. If i have misunderstood you, please accept my apologies.

Bless
Har Hari Kaur
Gurfateh

Well Hindus also wear turban and Muslims also keep beared so we must not have that.

Rather Arti which was there in hindus before Arti of Sikhs was writtan bvut as Hindu do Arti of thier demi gods so we must not do our Arti of Akal.

So there is no ned for Arti at all perhaps.

Das just wants to add that Arti with or without lamps etc. does not matter till we understand it as not a spell.

It is performed both in Patna Sahib and Hajur Sahib just as it was done before in most of the Gurudwaras in past.

Legend says that it was done with lamps just to put defiance to Moghuals who banned Arti of any type with bells and lamps.

Sound and light with bells and fire insted of loud speaker or other electrical lamps etc were just a way to tell at that time people away that some Arti is being performed and let them come and to moghuls that we Sikhs give it a damn to thier dictats and to hindus that real Arti has to be done for Akal and not thier demi gods.

In fact tray is symbol of sky and lamp as son and moon espcialy for Sudras or lower castes who come to Gurudwaras who cannont see Arti in hindu temple in which they are not allowed but can perform this thing in Gurudwara.

It is symbolic and not to do with intrusion of hindusim which is just 80 years old but Arti is from the time of Aurangjeb when he banned the lamp and bells(Sikhs anyway did not ban azan from Muslim moque for similar purpose).At the time of Gurus before Tenth Master it was not done with Lamps.

das does sing Arti after Rahraas Sahib daily even when on move but does not uses lamp etc. but does not find wrong if some old but obsolate tradtions are still done in some Gurudwaras.

Das would like to raise the further questions that say some people tend to say that idols are sleeping and awaken and gives claoth to idols.

so what about our Santokh,Praksah or Rumala on Guru Granth Sahib Ji.That hindu things are still with us.

Sorry for fast words but only intention was to remove insecurty complex in Sikhs like we have in wahabis.

Das is not against if there in ban on so called hindu Arti in Gurudwaras but we must not take this thing in tradition or history as negtive influence.

Yes it can be used by wrong people like say that for poor people Arti with Lamps and bell can cause finacial burdan etc. But there is no such things in those Gurudwaras at present.

Akal bless.

mehar singh

SPNer
Jun 17, 2006
Sat Sri Akal to everyone,
this is my first post so very sorry if i offend anyone. This is my reply to Mr Channa who is said to be horrified by seeing 'Aarti' being performed at the holy Gurudwara at Hazur Sahib. *DELETED*DO NOT MAKE PERSONAL REMARKS.

Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji Maharaj have quoted " Gagn main Thaal Rav Chand Deepak Baney, Taarika Mandal Janak Moti". The sacred Aarti Bani is written in Our Living Guru, SGGS Ji. If you have a problem with Sikhism having Hindu Rituals then please please tell me, Why did shri Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji, our beloved ninth Guru, give up their live to protect Hinduism with the pleas of the Pandits? In the SGGS ji, there are numerous banis writtten in Praise of Lord Krishna, many great Bhagats, even Laila Majnu!
My advice to you is, PLEASE do your research thoroughly and know your living Guru and religion before daring to point out your finger at Sacred Gurudwaras such as Thakat Sachkhand Sri Hazur Sahib, for doing Aarti.
Also, ***PERSONAL REMARK DELETED***** Please read Gurbani and understand it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Mehar Singh ji,

Welcome to SPN. Your queries could be genuine but you gave me quite a turn.
First you mention

........he would do his research about our glorious Sikh religion before saying such silly and childish comments.

After which you comment:
The sacred Aarti Bani is written in Our Living Guru, SGGS Ji. If you have a problem with Sikhism having Hindu Rituals

Tell me Mehar Singh, why do you mix up Hindu Arti with Sikh Arti ?

Mar 18, 2008
waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh As u say that in hazur sahib the hindu maat is aaarti was done did u know that in this takhat sahib old maryada was running by panj payare bhai daya singh & bhai dharam singh ji & here the tenth guru gobind singh ji Always hajar najar (present) & we do the the aarti of guru gobind singh ji & guru granth sahib ji As akkal purakh we dont do the aarti of any hindu god or murti pls dont tell that this is hindu matt here in hazur sahib purtan maryada of guru gobind singh ji maharaj was running from guruji time no one can change this maryada & this maryada was running in every takhat sahib in ancient time .
Gurdip Chana[/quote]

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
This link may address some of the issues raised so far. It contains the sakhi of Guru Nanak and the Hindu arti. It also presents one of the shabads where Nanak's hymn spells the difference between Hindu aarti and Sikh aarti. The sakhi gives the background for the shabad.

Arti

The difference is clear and undeniable. Another place to find these ideas is in Sohila. If any more help finding another source for the sakhi is needed I will be happy to help.

Mar 18, 2008
waheguru ji ka khalsa wahegurur ji ki fateh, as u say that this is hindu aarti in gurudwara this is not hindu aarti this is the ancient maryada of guru gobind singh ji maharaj & it was running from the gururji's time & u say that the aarti was not done in anandpur sahib for u r info. in last 40 years ago this maryada is part of every takhat sahib of khalsa panth

Kabit
gur ke rijhvaye kar pae maan ichh baar
sodar lagae fir bhog dayo pae ke
pun gur granthi khas pathi fir rahiras, kari Ardas fateh adhik gajae ke

Mar 18, 2008
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki fateh
as u say that in hazur sahib the hindu aarti was done do u know tjis is not a hindu matt thi is ancient maryada of guru gobind singh ji maharaj u say that u never seen the aarti keshgarh sahib or any other takaht sahib.
u know thi maryada has part of all takhat sahib s of khalsa panth.We do the aarti of guru gobind singh ji & guru granth sahib ji .we do the aarti akkal purakh & who say that this the hindu aarti we never do the aarti of any hindu god in gurudwara .Read thi kabit of Anciet maryada of guru gobind singh ji maharaj
Kabit

gur ke rijhvae kar pae man ich bar
sodar lagae fir bhog dayo pae ke
pun gur granthi khas pathi fir rahiras ,kari ardas fate adhik gajaik
bandan ko guru granth panth guru bandhyo
pun Aarti uttar prdachana lagae ke
mano grah mandal akhandal dharav juu ke
firat cufere hai badhere chab pae ke
bandh bandh chouki joki gonki sabh sonki singh
sabadh saweye path ,sohila sunaye ke
i think u understand know , u say that u never the aarti in anadpur sahib than u also know that the rehras sahib in anadpur sahib was not sampuran rehras sahib this was incomplete all over gurudwaras of SGPC . here in hazur sahib every thing is done by anciet maryada given by gurur gobind singh ji maharaj
& NoBody can change this . U come here and see the najre of hazur sahib u never seen this in any where .
& U said this rubbish my bro. first of all u want to know what is sikhi go Any dal of nihang singh & see what they do in there gurudwara 's they also the follow the same maryada .

so pls first get the full knowledge & then talk about this
bhula chuka di mafi
waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh
S Harkishan Singh
hazur Sahib .nanded
maharsahtra

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
waheguru ji ka khalsa wahegurur ji ki fateh, as u say that this is hindu aarti in gurudwara this is not hindu aarti this is the ancient maryada of guru gobind singh ji maharaj & it was running from the gururji's time & u say that the aarti was not done in anandpur sahib for u r info. in last 40 years ago this maryada is part of every takhat sahib of khalsa panth

HarkishanSingh Ji

Satguru Nanak ji ,way earlier made it clear that HIS arti is being done automatically in"Bhavkhadna Teri..".Shabad, Shri Rabindra Nath Tagore called that Shabad World anthem, from where that so called maryada popped up? We are going against our own Guru teachings, that is what it is.

lionprinceuk

(previously Lion_Prince_Jatinder)
SPNer
Jun 29, 2004
west london
lol, the starter of this thread has written something very paranoid about aarti.

what next? people are doing hindu matha tek?
People are practising the hindu tradition of following gurus?
etc etc...

gs_chana

SPNer
Jan 16, 2005
United Kingdom, London
Fateh to all my brothers and sisters.

I have not written anything in quiet a while was still suprised to see my thread being circulated and commented on for so long. I DIDN'T REALISE HOW CONTROVERSIAL THIS MATTER IS.

Anyway, i wanted to set a few things straight.

I am not paranoid in terms of my views on AARTI or any such "physical" practices. I am however FIRMLY against such ritualistic practices.

THE REASON WHY I DISAPPROVE OF THE AARTI IS BECAUSE:
1. there is no evidence linking Guru Ji' with the practice of such activities. CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG, HOW MANY GURDWARA'S WERE AROUND AT THE GURU'S ACTUAL TIME? For all I know the Harmandir Sahib is the only place that is ACTUALLY known to have existed and set up by our beloved Gurus.

2. Such practices DIVERT our attention and DILUTE the meaning of Sikhi. GURU NANAK started what I percieve as the most LOGICAL and SCIENTIFIC and COMMON SENSE APPROACH to religion and God.

Why do we therefore not understand that doing RITUALS are COMPLETELY USELESS! - Guru Nanak REJECTED aarti, namaz, prayer, etc = WHY BECAUSE THE ONLY WAY TO COMMUNICATE WITH GOD IS TO MEDITATE UPON HIS NAME.

GURU JI MAKES COUNTLESS REFERENCES TO THIS POINT = I do not need to quote any verses because if you just start reading the Guru Granth you will find this point rather self-explanatory as the GURUJI REPEATS THIS AGAIN AND AGAIN in different ways and using different methods IN ORDER TO GET THIS MESSAGE ACROSS TO OUR FEABLE HUMAN MINDS!

Please do not take any offence from my DIRECT and some what RUDE approach. I am sorry to be like this, but I am very frustrated at how we SIKHS COMPLETELY MISS THE POINT SOMETIMES!

SIKHS NEED TO GO BACK TO BASICS - BECAUSE THAT IS THE ONLY WAY IN WHICH WE CAN FIX UP OUR PROBLEMS OF LACK OF EDUCATION IN SIKHI/CORRUPTION IN GURDWARAS/ETC.

SIKHI IS ABOUT LEARNING AND EDUCATING THE MIND! If we manage that as an individual, we have SAVED SIKHI.

Gurdip Chana.

lionprinceuk

(previously Lion_Prince_Jatinder)
SPNer
Jun 29, 2004
west london
Guru Nanak questioned the things going around society. However he wasn;t baniing anything.

Banning is the job of fanatics. Many people have their own way f which they like to worship and whatever.

Fateh to all my brothers and sisters.

I have not written anything in quiet a while was still suprised to see my thread being circulated and commented on for so long. I DIDN'T REALISE HOW CONTROVERSIAL THIS MATTER IS.

Anyway, i wanted to set a few things straight.

I am not paranoid in terms of my views on AARTI or any such "physical" practices. I am however FIRMLY against such ritualistic practices.

THE REASON WHY I DISAPPROVE OF THE AARTI IS BECAUSE:
1. there is no evidence linking Guru Ji' with the practice of such activities. CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG, HOW MANY GURDWARA'S WERE AROUND AT THE GURU'S ACTUAL TIME? For all I know the Harmandir Sahib is the only place that is ACTUALLY known to have existed and set up by our beloved Gurus.

2. Such practices DIVERT our attention and DILUTE the meaning of Sikhi. GURU NANAK started what I percieve as the most LOGICAL and SCIENTIFIC and COMMON SENSE APPROACH to religion and God.

Why do we therefore not understand that doing RITUALS are COMPLETELY USELESS! - Guru Nanak REJECTED aarti, namaz, prayer, etc = WHY BECAUSE THE ONLY WAY TO COMMUNICATE WITH GOD IS TO MEDITATE UPON HIS NAME.

GURU JI MAKES COUNTLESS REFERENCES TO THIS POINT = I do not need to quote any verses because if you just start reading the Guru Granth you will find this point rather self-explanatory as the GURUJI REPEATS THIS AGAIN AND AGAIN in different ways and using different methods IN ORDER TO GET THIS MESSAGE ACROSS TO OUR FEABLE HUMAN MINDS!

Please do not take any offence from my DIRECT and some what RUDE approach. I am sorry to be like this, but I am very frustrated at how we SIKHS COMPLETELY MISS THE POINT SOMETIMES!

SIKHS NEED TO GO BACK TO BASICS - BECAUSE THAT IS THE ONLY WAY IN WHICH WE CAN FIX UP OUR PROBLEMS OF LACK OF EDUCATION IN SIKHI/CORRUPTION IN GURDWARAS/ETC.

SIKHI IS ABOUT LEARNING AND EDUCATING THE MIND! If we manage that as an individual, we have SAVED SIKHI.

Gurdip Chana.

You don't need to say anything more you have sumed everything up with these lines of your's, which started this whole discussion.

Now I am not being offensive to Hindus, but this act is a wasteful, non meaningful and not related to God in any single way. What is the point in circulating a thaal with Divas around Guruji. We are told to read and understand gurbani, not perform rituals to it, what the hell is the meaning of that, its like doing the same thing to a picture of Guru's, UTTERLY WASTEFUL

Your comparing Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji to a picture of Guru Nanak Dev ji, which is just a persons imagination to what Guru Nanak Dev ji looked like! I hope the base of your agruement is stronger than this because Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji is not a book or a holy scripture, Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji is the living Guru. When will some stop being scholars and start being Sikhs. Speaking about praying the Guru also prayed alot i guess they were performing rituals themselves, even after the Guru having said rituals are useless. Something just doesn't add up here.:hmm: Let's try to understand what Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji is saying to us instead of pointing the finger straight ahead and yelling out RITUAL.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: