• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Hazur Sahib Tilak Question?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Randip ji

It is confusing because there are several agendas going on at one time surrounding the book. If the Nihungs, and frankly I can't tell, are Nihungs in Britain, some developments have occurred that are unique, and have made a journey to the US as well. I did not read the book. Based on what I read in the review, it seems that that the content of the book has nothing to do with the content of, not one, but several controversies. Everything has been tangled together. Time will pass and then the threads will be unraveled. ;)

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Randip ji

It is confusing because there are several agendas going on at one time surrounding the book. If the Nihungs, and frankly I can't tell, are Nihungs in Britain, some developments have occurred that are unique, and have made a journey to the US as well. I did not read the book. Based on what I read in the review, it seems that that the content of the book has nothing to do with the content of, not one, but several controversies. Everything has been tangled together. Time will pass and then the threads will be unraveled. ;)

I think your point on agendas is correct. I have looked a bit more into this Nihang Niddar Singh fellow and he seems to be a martial arts expert, and his goal is to teach all kids martial arts. He is a firm believer that Ghatka comes from Shastarvidya (something I have read too), and is not hostile about Hindu's like some groups like (AKJ , DDT etc).

These last two points have led to what I can only see is a smear campaign against this fellow by sites afiliated to AKJ and DDT )eg Panthic weekly, sikhsangat, waheguroo etc etc).

I am not sure whether the vegetarian controversy comes into this too, but I think the alleged Hindu affiliation is definitely one thing.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
randip ji

You have tuned in to the same :)transmissions:) that I am wondering about on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean.

Did you ever hear of anyone writing a letter of apology under pressure for errors in a book that has only been in print for several weeks? Did his critics have time to read and assimilate what he wrote before finding "mistakes." And according to my understanding these "errors" were related to rehat and not to the historical content of the book (which was about the history of the Hazur -- only that). This does not add up IMHO.

Niddar ji is a bigger person than I am -- he apologized.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
randip ji

You have tuned in to the same :)transmissions:) that I am wondering about on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean.

Did you ever hear of anyone writing a letter of apology under pressure for errors in a book that has only been in print for several weeks? Did his critics have time to read and assimilate what he wrote before finding "mistakes." And according to my understanding these "errors" were related to rehat and not to the historical content of the book (which was about the history of the Hazur -- only that). This does not add up IMHO.

Niddar ji is a bigger person than I am -- he apologized.

I have seen the google video now where he "apologised". You are correct, I think people had already reached there conclusion before reaching Hazoor Sahib. I think possibly a few people may have stirred things up for him. I saw another video of the book launch where he says well, he says he apologised just to keep the peace.

Apology under duress?

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
According to the same sources (PW/akj/taksal etc) he is Sanatanist....advocate of Sanatan Brahminicla practises..essentially nirmalas, udassis etc.

As things stand today on the Net too..we have to learn to "read between the lines...paragraphs ?? as well..and look "between the Frames.... at "videoed apologies"..
Not everything we "see" is the Truth...

:confused:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I have seen the google video now where he "apologised". You are correct, I think people had already reached there conclusion before reaching Hazoor Sahib. I think possibly a few people may have stirred things up for him. I saw another video of the book launch where he says well, he says he apologised just to keep the peace.

Apology under duress?

Randip -- Now with input from another source, respected Gyani Jarnail ji -- Yes, duress. and think about it. Is this event about pressure from a willful group of "young-bloods" who are not addressing the book but instead their subjectively held opinions. This Niddar is someone I want to befriend in a curious way. I read the comment that he loves to teach children -- Could it be that teaching was too much to give up and so he sacrificed his pride in order to continue. Of course this is only my wondering out loud. But, things look sad. Is the opposition happy with the outcome? Does it end here?

Mailaagar bereh hai bhuyiangaa. Bikh Amrit basahi ik sangaa: The snakes encircle the sandalwood trees. Poison and nectar dwell there together (Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 525). ( I borrowed this from an article posted on another thread by Gyani Jarnail ji because it may explain why Niddar apologized. Maybe Niddar knows how to be graceful even when I do not.)

Well I have more exploring to do. :)

Mar 26, 2006
I have spoken to UK Jathedar Bhai Niddarsingh ji ...once ..they are good people ..the neo singh sabhia mentality will not want them to survive

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
According to the same sources (PW/akj/taksal etc) he is Sanatanist....advocate of Sanatan Brahminicla practises..essentially nirmalas, udassis etc.

As things stand today on the Net too..we have to learn to "read between the lines...paragraphs ?? as well..and look "between the Frames.... at "videoed apologies"..
Not everything we "see" is the Truth...

:confused:

I think as a Sikh, I cannot deny that some aspects of Sikhism may have had some Hindu aspects eg Ghatka comes from Shastarvidya (which the monk Boddhidharma Bodhidharma. Zen or Chan meditation was founded by Boddhidharma. studied too). We Sikh's sometimes have a tendency to purge even good influences of Hinduism from our faith. I think this Nihang fellow is just acknowledging those good bits.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Randip -- Now with input from another source, respected Gyani Jarnail ji -- Yes, duress. and think about it. Is this event about pressure from a willful group of "young-bloods" who are not addressing the book but instead their subjectively held opinions. This Niddar is someone I want to befriend in a curious way. I read the comment that he loves to teach children -- Could it be that teaching was too much to give up and so he sacrificed his pride in order to continue. Of course this is only my wondering out loud. But, things look sad. Is the opposition happy with the outcome? Does it end here?

Mailaagar bereh hai bhuyiangaa. Bikh Amrit basahi ik sangaa: The snakes encircle the sandalwood trees. Poison and nectar dwell there together (Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 525). ( I borrowed this from an article posted on another thread by Gyani Jarnail ji because it may explain why Niddar apologized. Maybe Niddar knows how to be graceful even when I do not.)

Well I have more exploring to do. :)

I too would like to meet him and just talk, and the quote you have used is excellent. :happy:

harneetkaur

SPNer
May 12, 2009
hazuri sikhs are not supposed to be called as GURU GOBIND SINGH JI SIKHS ...

ACCD to GURU GRANTH SAHIB JI " DAYA DHARAM KA MOOL HAI "and also panj pyareas mane Bhai DAYA SINGH JI AND THEN BHAI DHARAM SIGH JI .
while doing such cermony they need to loose daya for goat and there it ends how they could be dharmi.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
hazuri sikhs are not supposed to be called as GURU GOBIND SINGH JI SIKHS ...

Why?

ACCD to GURU GRANTH SAHIB JI " DAYA DHARAM KA MOOL HAI "and also panj pyareas mane Bhai DAYA SINGH JI AND THEN BHAI DHARAM SIGH JI .
while doing such cermony they need to loose daya for goat and there it ends how they could be dharmi.

what do you mean? I don't understand anything you are saying?

Apr 2, 2006
Maybe we should just each stop for a moment and think about what is empty ritual and a symbolic rutine.
I believe if the so called ritual is done with the realisation that this ritual wont get you closer to GOD or even earn HIS mercy, then its fine, because it will just become a symbolic meaningful act done as a rutine, to maybe remember and give more importance to such event or situation.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Maybe we should just each stop for a moment and think about what is empty ritual and a symbolic rutine.
I believe if the so called ritual is done with the realisation that this ritual wont get you closer to GOD or even earn HIS mercy, then its fine, because it will just become a symbolic meaningful act done as a rutine, to maybe remember and give more importance to such event or situation.

Yes it is an empty ritual, but so it doing "Pakharma around the Guru Granth Sahib", so is cutting Karah with a Kirpan, so is putting the Guru Granth Sahib to bed.....the list is endless. The reason why people have got their Kacharay in a twist over this particular ritual is because the Vaishno influenced Sikhs don't like the fact that Sikhs carry on Jhatka.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM