• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Has This Story Any Validation In Sikhism ?

Jun 1, 2004

The story tells about a mountain climber, who wanted to climb the highest mountain. He begun his adventure after many years of preparation, but since he wanted the glory just for himself, he decided to climb the mountain alone.
He started to climb but it begun to get very late, and instead of preparing his tent to camp, he kept climbing until it got very dark.
The night felt heavy in the heights of the mountain, and the man could not see anything. All was black. Zero visibility, and the moon and the stars were covered by the clouds.

As he was climbing, only a few feet away from the top of the mountain, he slipped and fell into the air, falling at a great speed. The climber could only see black spots as he went down, and the terrible sensation of being sucked by gravity. He kept falling and in those moments of great fear, it came to his mind all the good and bad episodes of his life.

He was thinking now about how close death was getting, when all of a sudden he felt the rope tied to his waist pull him very hard. His body was hanging in the air. Only the rope was holding him, and in that moment of stillness he had no other choice but to scream: HELP ME GOD!!

All of a sudden, a deep voice coming from the sky answered:
What do you want me to do?

- Save me God!!

Do you really think I can save you?

- Of course I believe You can

THEN CUT THE ROPE TIED TO YOUR WAIST.

There was a moment of silence; and the man decided to hold on to the rope with all his strength.

The rescue team tells, that the next day a climber was found dead and frozen his body hanging from a rope. His hands holding tight to it

ONLY 10 FEET AWAY FROM THE GROUND

And you? How attached are you to your rope? Will you let go?

Don't ever doubt the things from God. You never should say that He has forgotten or abandoned you. Don't ever think that He does not take care of you. Remember that He is always holding you with His right hand.

If this message was a blessing to you, share it with the ones you love.

God Bless you... always

Has this story any validation in Sikhism ?

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki fateh.

Although I would say such stories are the result of fertile imaginations...( Who HEARD GOD telling the climber to cut the rope ??? when in fact he was found DEAD the next day ???)

This story does have validation in Sikhism.

When GURU GOBIND SINGH JI called for a HEAD in Anadpur sahib on vasakhi day in 1699....NO one got up for a while.....Guur Ji waited and REPEATED his call. Then slowly Bhai Daya Singh was seen coming forward. He was asked why he waited so long.... He replied: MY Guur Ji, at first I hesitated that If i gave my head...what would happen to my family ?? ...my aged parents who depend on me in their old age...my young children....who would take care of them after i am gone??? BUT then i decided: if i give my head to my Guru, He will take care of my family...and so here I am. MY HEAD is YOURS...MY RESPONSIBILITIES are YOURS as well.

Jarnail Singh

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Off-topic: WE do Matha-Tekna to Guru, which is as good as offering the head, with our own matt, as if giving our matt to Guru ji, and begging for GuruMatt.

Regards.

etinder

SPNer
Jul 26, 2004
New Delhi, India
yeah what i feel is that we have to surrender ourselves totally to the will of Guru..

matha tekna teaches us humility and we beg to get the blesssings of the guru to give us the knowledge and understanding on our journey towards self-actualisation

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki fateh.

We Matha Tek in front of Guru Ji to show that we "give" our head and accept Guru matt instead of usingour own manmatt.

BUT unfortunately all that remains in practise today is just a RITUAL. Everyone bows down mechanically.....the moment we get up and TAKE our HEAD BACK...we start following our own manmatt again ( until the next time we do matha tek again !!!)

I have seen children as well as adults..."hunting" for coins/cash before matha tek - it has been ingrained into them that without cash offering somehow the matha tek is incomplete...i persoanlly heard children complaining to their parents that why brother received 50 cents to matha tek and i only received 10 cents??? somehow the amount is also important and a sign of "dignity"???
That is why many hold out the $10 or $100 note out conspicoulsy while walking along to matha tek so that the whole sangat can see how much is being matha tek ??.....I have persoanlly come across children chiding each other - hey you only matha tek 10 cents so you cannot eat so much langgar...never matha tek money want langgar free eh ??? such are the attitudes being passed down among our new generations...matha tek is thought to be a payment of the langgar afterwards...IF NO MONEY to matha tek then it is expectd the person must do SEWA to earn the langgar he ate !!!

We must take SIKHI back to its roots...the BASICS. All rituals must be rooted out since they are all based on wrong assumptions. The GURU is not sitting there waiting to be bargained with.... I matha tek $1.25 and you Guru Ji make me a first prize winner at the Lottery !!! or give me a SON...a Good Job.... A good wife.. make me pass my exams...etc etc...it is aBIRLA who will ask for KIRPA from guru Ji...

Jarnail Singh

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Nice points Gyani ji. In most of things, I feel the same way.

Although we know about the significance of some actions after we ourselves grow up, but still abiding by those seems to be so difficult, as u mentioned owning manmatt again till next matha tek.

Materialistic world weighs everything with money, hence those kind of show-off, or bargaining etc. How ridiculous it is to ask for bargaining for a great job by offering a sum, which may not even count to dasvandh.

There are some Gurudwaras, which dont keep Golak, hence no possibility of any show-off, also donator's names are not read in sangat, this aspect of certain gurudwaras I like.

Regards.

S|kH

SPNer
Jul 11, 2004
We Are PENN STATE!!
ONLY 10 FEET AWAY FROM THE GROUND

And you? How attached are you to your rope? Will you let go?

Don't ever doubt the things from God. You never should say that He has forgotten or abandoned you. Don't ever think that He does not take care of you. Remember that He is always holding you with His right hand.

If this message was a blessing to you, share it with the ones you love.

God Bless you... always

Come on, if you could not see the ground...who in their right mind would let go of the rope?

Plus, I love how these stories always show "God" in the smart, all-nice light.

I got a similar story for ya ;)

A Jew was in a concentration camp, and he was being taken to the "oven".
He asked God on his trip there, where he was heading, and if God would take care of him. God said yes, for this is God's Will, all will be ok, just let go of your materialistic deeds, and follow the path that you are on now, for there is a reason you are on this path. The Jew got off and was put into the "oven"....and died.

This is actually a *true* story, because it was written down in a journal by a Jew (forget the name). So, how are we to tell what is God's voice and what is not God's voice?

For if the above is God's voice, then similar to the man holding onto the rope, I would have told the Jew to fight for his life with strength and never let go.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki afteh.

how about this story...

A man was walking throught he jungle when he came face to face with a lion. He prayed to God to save him.....God replied..You did a lot of things wrong so i cant. You will have to face the music now. The man was smart. So he said to God: At least turn the lion into a Christian. God said OK that can be done.

The next thing the man saw was that the Lion had folded his front paws and was reciting: Thank You God for what we are about to receive !!!

jarnail singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM