• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Has Sikhism Ended In Mohali?

richachhaba

SPNer
Jun 18, 2008
alwar
HAS SIKHISM ENDED IN MOHALI????:8-:)

As everyone knows there is a match going on between India and Australia in Mohali..
Today i saw day3 of the match on T.V. I saw the match d whole day. The Cameras often show the crowds.. I was shocked 2 see that 95% people sitting in the stands were clean shaven... and the rest 5% were turbaned sikhs...
Another thing that i wanted to say is that hindi serials r portraying Punjab in a bad manner.. For Example a serial in Sab Tv namely " JUGNI CHALI JALANDHAR" only portrays clean shaven people...
IS SIKHISM HEADING TOWARDS EXTINCTION?????????? :inca:OMG

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
re: Has Sikhism Ended in Mohali????

If you beleive that only people who keep uncut hairs are the sikhs then yes you can say that
sikhism is almost extinct because very few people now keep total uncut hair

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Re: Has Sikhism Ended in Mohali????

HAS SIKHISM ENDED IN MOHALI????:8-:)

As everyone knows there is a match going on between India and Australia in Mohali..
Today i saw day3 of the match on T.V. I saw the match d whole day. The Cameras often show the crowds.. I was shocked 2 see that 95% people sitting in the stands were clean shaven... and the rest 5% were turbaned sikhs...
Another thing that i wanted to say is that hindi serials r portraying Punjab in a bad manner.. For Example a serial in Sab Tv namely " JUGNI CHALI JALANDHAR" only portrays clean shaven people...
IS SIKHISM HEADING TOWARDS EXTINCTION?????????? :inca:OMG

Is Sikhism extinct or headed for exctinction , firmly no.

Are less Sikhs wearing turban and keeping hair, then yes.

Who do I blame....I blame Sant Mat groups and Vaisnavite (eg AKJ, GNSSJ etc) groups who have tried to mould Sikhi into a very very strict mould with no flexibilty and rooom for diversity.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Is Sikhism extinct or headed for exctinction , firmly no.

Are less Sikhs wearing turban and keeping hair, then yes.

Who do I blame....I blame Sant Mat groups and Vaisnavite (eg AKJ, GNSSJ etc) groups who have tried to mould Sikhi into a very very strict mould with no flexibilty and rooom for diversity.

Randip ji,

Here is how confusing the question of the thread (it is asked in many different ways) is for people like me, converts, and for young people who are born into Sikhism.

Imaginary sequence of YouTube discussions about Sikhism.

Video 1 - Sikhism is defined as a universal religion. Sikhs believe in one god and Sri Guru Granth Sahib is their sacred scripture. They have no Gurus after Guruji. A Sikh is a learner for whom simran, dhyanna of the Guru, and seva to the Guru and humanity are essential. In Sikhism there is no acceptance of discrimination based on race, caste, or gender.

Video 2 - Sikhs are defined. You are not truly a Sikh if you do not keep kesh, tie dastar, etc.

Video 3 - At the gurdwara of aad0002. About 50 percent of the sangat keep kesh and tie dastar. The man who operates the langar does not keep kesh. The young men who serve at langar -- maybe half of them keep kesh and tie dastar, and the others do not. The service is in Punjabi, but all the prayers and kirtan are projected in Gurmukhi and English. Nobody seems to care if some of the women polish their toe nails. Whenever the secretary announces he needs volunteers for a parade or a special event, a large group shows up after the service for the organization meeting.

Video 4 - At the gurdwara of an Internet friend of aad0002 in another country (not to be mentioned to protect the privacy of the friend). The friend does not keep kesh but devotes many hours a week to gurdwara seva. Somteimes, amridthari women take every opportunity to point out that the friend is not amridthari. When the young children also point this out publicly, their mothers do not chide the children for rudeness.

Video 5 - A gurdwara in another part of the US is taken over by a fanatical wing of Sikhism. The gurdwara used to be very inclusive and the sangat non-judgemental just like the gurdwara of aad0002. The sangat is torn apart and there are lawsuits. aad0002 hopes and prays this does not happen at her gurdwara.

Conclusion: Sikhism cannot die out. But converts and young people alike are extremely confused. Who is a Sikh? What is Sikhism? What happened to the message of Guru Nanak Dev ji?

richachhaba

SPNer
Jun 18, 2008
alwar

I think u have an optimistic view of few things... its gud but dont ignore d fact that turbans r vanishing in Punjab...

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom

Antonia ji some good observations.

Richachhaba, I think we have to be realistic that turbans are dissapearing, but we should not let Vaishnavie groups like Radhaswami etc encroach. We need a broader constitution and accept there are Sehajdhari Sikh's.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA

One thing that surprised me is that when I see Hindu's and muslims from villages
Are the one which are quite religious and keep their religious symbols .For example you hardly find any hindu keeping his bodi in cities But there hindu's from villages or small towns who keep them.But in sikhism it is exactly the opposite the rural population of Punjab abandoned religious symbols while in cities you see many sikhs who keep them.

Its quite surprising for me

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

Point to ponder. Sikhism on the physical level vs. Sikhism on the metaphysical level.
We can't force results on the physical level without first working within.
The wisdom says,
As within, so Without
As Above, so Below.

All saviors recognize this eternal truth. Our outer is a reflection of our inner states. It's pointless to have Bana without the Bani within. Nature has it's own ways. It has it's own purpose of growing hair in various parts of the body. We can argue all we want about the importance of the hair. Guru Ji says to live within HIS HUKAM.

Some perceive HIS HUKAM in a specific way only. We are all growing in consciousness and therefore must always remain in balance because this is a great law of life.

For example rest and motion, intake and outgo, action and reaction, impression and expression - these two must balance. All our frustrations are due to unfulfilled desires.

If we think negatively and destructively, these thoughts will generate destructive emotions which find an outlet on the physical level. The result being poor health.

Whatever your idea or feeling about yourself is, is expressed in every part of your body. Are we making too much of a deal on outer appearance without assessing the inner harmony first ?

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM