• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Haryana, Punjab Ban Madhuri Film, Uttar Pradesh Revokes It(Second Lead

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Haryana, Punjab ban Madhuri film, Uttar Pradesh revokes it(Second Lead) : India Entertainment

New Delhi, Dec 1 - The Haryana and Punjab governments Saturday banned actress Madhuri Dixit's comeback film 'Aaja Nachle' for alleged derogatory references to Dalits in a song even as Uttar Pradesh revoked its ban after an apology by producer Yash Chopra.The Punjab government banned the screening of the film, which was released countrywide Friday, citing maintenance of law and order as a reason. Later, a Haryana government spokesperson said the film had been banned in the state until further orders.The central government ruled out a nationwide ban after the producers agreed to withdraw the objectionable parts of the title song's lyrics.Minor protests were reported by Dalit activists in Bathinda town in south-west Punjab over the film. The activists went to the Pukhraj cinema hall there and tore posters of the film.The owner of the cinema hall got the film's screening stopped following the protest.In Ludhiana, cinema halls showing the film on their own deleted the objectionable portions of the film but continued its screening.Punjab has 29 percent Dalits in the state's population of nearly 25 million.Meanwhile, the Uttar Pradesh government that had Friday banned the film in the state, withdrew it following Chopra's apology and assurance that he would delete the objectionable portions from the film.Chopra, chairman of Yash Raj Films, said: 'It was not our intention to hurt the feelings of any individual or community of our great nation. If we have inadvertently hurt the sentiments of anybody I apologise for the same and have taken immediate remedial action by deleting the line from the prints of 'Aaja Nachle' from all over the country. This line has been deleted in all the theatres today.'Director Anil Mehta too apologised as did Sharmila Tagore, chairperson of the Censor Board of Film Certification.Sharmila said: 'The remark in the song is more profession based than caste based and was not intentional at all. Even if one person has been hurt, we apologise. And request them that instead of increasing the problem they must talk to the producers and director of the film and settle the matter.'The objectionable portion of the title song went: 'Bazar mein machi hai maramar; bole mochi bhi khud ko sunhar' (There is so much chaos in the market that even a cobbler is calling himself a jeweller).

Apr 4, 2007
'The objectionable portion of the title song went: 'Bazar mein machi hai maramar; bole mochi bhi khud ko sunhar' (There is so much chaos in the market that even a cobbler is calling himself a jeweller).

wow, they banned the whole film for that one line in a song?

that seems a bit extreme. doesn't india have a "freedom of speech" concept?

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
wow, they banned the whole film for that one line in a song?

that seems a bit extreme. doesn't india have a "freedom of speech" concept?

It is called votebank appeasement.If any community who has large vote bank find anything offensive then it has to be banned

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Its interesting !
But it works both ways in Indian Film Industry. Such a controversy can even help movie generate more revenue due to so much publicity . As people usually like to check out contriversial things more than often . But this will happen if the ban is reversed soon as in UP already done

One more good reason to ban this movie ( wich i support!) if there is such a publicity about movie that it targets particular group than there could voilent marches and clashes and they do result in loss of propert and life so this could also be viwed as step with good intentions obviously !along with vote bank thing which is most important in india

Apr 4, 2007
Its interesting !
But it works both ways in Indian Film Industry. Such a controversy can even help movie generate more revenue due to so much publicity . As people usually like to check out contriversial things more than often . But this will happen if the ban is reversed soon as in UP already done

One more good reason to ban this movie ( wich i support!) if there is such a publicity about movie that it targets particular group than there could voilent marches and clashes and they do result in loss of propert and life so this could also be viwed as step with good intentions obviously !along with vote bank thing which is most important in india

maybe i'm being naieve, but it doesn't seem like it's "targetting" a specific group. based on the translation of the one line in the one song, it hardly seems negative at all.

am i missing something?:confused:

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
am i missing something?
confused.gif

you are not missing much .

Cobbler is profession akin to low caste in india .But in democratic india even low caste take a lot pride for what they are

this song suggest the in the market chaos cobbler is pretending to be jeweller so this could effect self pride of cobbler

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
After UP, Punjab lifts ban on 'Aaja Nachle' - Yahoo! India News

After UP, Punjab lifts ban on 'Aaja Nachle'

By ANI
Sunday December 2, 11:12 AM

Chandigarh, Dec 2 (ANI): A day after banning the screening of Madhuri Dixit's come back film 'Aaja Nachle', the Punjab Government today lifted the bar.

The Uttar Pradesh Government, yesterday, lifted the ban after an apology from film producer Yash Chopra and chopping of lines from the title song, which certain section of Dalits felt was derogatory.

Central Board of Film Certification chairperson Sharmila Tagore also rendered an apology for giving a nod to the title track of the film with lines "Mohale mein kaisi maara-mar hai, bole mochi bhi khud ko sunar hai" that offended the Dalits

The Haryana Government has also banned the screening of the film in the state.

On Friday, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati had written a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh demanding that the film be banned all over the country. (ANI)

----------------------------
ban lifted case closed

Apr 4, 2007
you are not missing much .

Cobbler is profession akin to low caste in india .But in democratic india even low caste take a lot pride for what they are

this song suggest the in the market chaos cobbler is pretending to be jeweller so this could effect self pride of cobbler

i'm trying to figure out if any movies would ever be released in america if they banned every one with a line that was offensive to someone... :)

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
i'm trying to figure out if any movies would ever be released in america if they banned every one with a line that was offensive to someone... :)

In america there is over freedom.I watch WWE and i am big fan of it.But in that i found
great insults directed toward's some communities,cites people etc.In india no one even think of this type of show.So don't compare india with america

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM