Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Harnam Singh Shan, The Sikh Historian Awarded

Discussion in 'Sikh Personalities' started by spnadmin, May 18, 2010.

1. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Award for Sikh Historian (Harnam Singh Shan)

Sikh Nugget: Award for Sikh Historian

Felicitations and honour by the Punjab Chief Minister at a state level function on Fateh Divas at Fatehgarh Sahib came as a salutation to the spiritually enlightened vision and literary prominence of legendary litterateur Harnam Singh Shan. He was presented a citation, shawl, memento, ceremonial sword, siropa and a cash award of Rs 51,000.

A genius with intuitive wisdom and vast knowledge, Professor Emeritus, Dr Harnam Singh Shan (87), ever sporting an innocent smile, is a renowned scholar of religious and Punjabi literary studies.

"All his works on history of religion, folklore and secular literature are more of dedication rather than occupation,"Prof John Burton Page of London University had once opined. His scholarly work deals with a variety of fields, such as language, literature, culture, religion, history, tradition, philosophy, lexicography, Sufi and Sikh folklore. He holds the highest academic degrees, including Ph D in Indian Literature from University of London and D.Litt. from PU besides eleven other national and International degrees.

Shan, at the ripe age of 87, is credited with 87 publications, 234 research papers, 67 book reviews and much more.

With eleven national and international awards, having held 110 positions in literary organisations, participation in 200 conferences in India and abroad, the highly decorated author is neither tired nor complacent as six of his prestigious works are in print or awaiting release.

Most prominent of them all is Guru Granth Sahib- An Analytical and Comprehensive Dictionary of the Thought of the Sacred Sikh Scripture ru

Attached Files:

• ls3.jpg
      ls3.jpg
      File size:
      41.5 KB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    India Harnam Singh Dhumma assumes title of Bhindranwale Breaking News Jun 9, 2013
    Punjabi Scholar Dr. Harnam Singh Shan Passes Away Sikh Personalities Jun 11, 2011
    Charnamrit of Sikh Babaji Questions and Answers Aug 5, 2011
    Basics Of Sikhi Jagraj Singh Diagnosed With Stage 4 Cancer Sikh Organisations Dec 1, 2016
    Full PDF Of Gurbani Sangeet Parachin Reet Ratnavali By Bhai Avatar Singh Gurmat Sangeet Nov 22, 2016

3. Gyani Jarnail Singh

Gyani Jarnail Singh Malaysia
    Expand Collapse
    Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
    Mentor Writer SPNer Contributor

Re: Award for Sikh Historian (Harnam Singh Shan)

I have had the pleasure of the company of this great man..and his humility and academic credentials go hand in hand. He is truly one of our great assets and I wish him many many more productive years and many more books.:happysingh:

• Like Like x 4
  4. arshi

arshi United Kingdom
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer

I first learnt about this literary giant from Balwant Gargi’s book ‘Surmey Vaali Akkh’ a ‘tongue in cheek’ biography of several authors (published in the 1960s).

This had followed an earlier, mildly satirical, account of nine literary figures in ‘Nimm Dey Pattey’. In the process he (Gargi) upset many of his friends and colleagues, including the great Punjabi poetess Amrita Pritam. Despite a few deriding remarks, Harnam Singh Shan’s personality came out loud and clear and it was Gargi himself who, in my opinion, cut a sorry figure.

I have had the pleasure of occasionally reading his book ‘Guru Nanak da Shahkar Japji, a scholarly piece of work based on painstaking and dedicated effort. This is a must reference book for serious students of Gurbani. I would like to wish him many more years of good health and may his pen serve the Panth as it always has in the past.

It is disappointing to see the poor response to this thread while so much attention is levied on superficial matters such as ‘Mandira’s Tattoo’ – much ‘tattoo’ about nothing – as Shakespeare would say.

Rajinder Singh ‘Arshi’

• Like Like x 1
  5. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

arshi ji

How I do myself hanker after greater attention to this thread. We all have choices, control over what we fill our heads with.

• Like Like x 2
  6. mahanbir singh

mahanbir singh
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Naryanjot ji many many thanks for this post. i had the pleasure of meeting shan sahib 2 years ago at his residence in chandigarh. he gave me one of his books ' GURU ANGAD BACHNAVLI- SO SAID GURU ANGAD DEV" AS A GIFT WHICH IS MY PRIZED POSSESSION. HIS HUMILITY, HIS LOVE,COMPASSION AND AFFECIIONS AND HIS BLESSINGS ARE WITH ME. MAY GOD GIVE HIM LONG LIFE TO SERVE SIKHISM AND THE HUMANITY.

• Like Like x 2
  7. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

mahanbir singh ji

It is so wonderful to see you back after such a long absence. :)