• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Harleen Kaur Nottay: Britain's Next Top Model?

KD SINGH

SPNer
Jun 12, 2010
Interesting Topic.......

Why at all discuss about a Girl who says she is a sikh when there is absolutely no indication that she is one...

Dear All please be clear in your minds...Being a Sikh is very difficult.
Thats why it was said...
"Sir Dhar Tali Gali meri aawo...."
Being a True Sikh means U R Pure....At all fronts
Appearance
Thoughts
Karm
& Living Life for others.

badshah

SPNer
May 8, 2010
SSA,
This is vey personal issue. The field she is working is of such nature. Why we bring religion into this. The cut hairs, shaven heads and semi nude pics etc are part of medelling.
I strongly believe that the statement by Harleen that she was upset or very uneasy, are just the "answers to interviewers questions on the spot. Any girl getting into medlling is fully aware of all these things from the begining.
Her statement might have been a part of the popularity propoganda. She has all the rights to do that as all the other stars do.
As far as Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji teachings are concerned the cut-hair, shaven heads, type of dress etc are not the only aspects to be a sikh.
She is on the peak in her business, lets not try to unstabalize her by creating issues out off nothing.
Roop Sidhu

Well in defence of the OP, many young kids will say wow show looks sexy and got all these hot guys running after her in the pics and she has a hot body, so mum, dad I want the exact haircut as her and want the same clothes and want lots of boy friends....... so what you going to tell your 16 year daughter now?

The point is.... there is no role model "in the big" that is doing conservative things to show your kids in opposition of say Harleen..... Also being famous, being a model.... is all lights, camera, action, money, bling bling, fast cars, big houses, suuceess, paparatzi - how you going to tell someone this is wrong, most people would dream of being in this situation...... so what you gonna do?

Also, for all the people who are posting here, who are you? I mean are you people that are doing 9 - 5 jobs, big business peoples, successful people????? Another point is, if you yourself are no role model then how you going to say what she is doing is wrong?

From what I have written you will notice that I am for and against her at the same time - this just goes to show stop looking at others and become role models yourselves otherwise you are wasting your time looking at others!

As I said, money talks, ******** walks......... :)

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
I agree she's probably just using this as a publicity thing..however you can't deny that at some level she must be feeling a fear of backlash. I mean, I'm a kesdhari Sikh, I follow GGSJ and I feel a backlash from my society just because I want to live according to GGSJ alone...without external maryadas...jeez..the problem is the "Sikh community" as a whole does not reflect Sikh values...simple and plain....

LOL what type of backlash do you fear? as far she is concerned what is the meaning of backlash? If she feels that sikhs are going to beat her up then she is wrong.Gossip yes but again that always happen in society

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Lol - this is life!

SHe chose the career and good luck to her....

About the uncut hair business...... I dont really know of or seen many Sikh girls that have uncut hair in the UK.....

You are letting your foundations crumble because of one woman? Put it this way, forget the hair side of things, she openly talked about her boyfriend.... and they obviously have sex, lol..... so according to you that would mean all girls now having careless sex?

Well it is the UK, and boyfriends, girlsfriends, sex etc etc is a part of this world, however if you chose the full Sikh way of life then you will not be doing these things. It all boils down to liberal Sikhs, moderate SIkh and strict Sikhs..... the world is full of such diverse people that its impossible to have an ideal. Even if you have an ideal situation.... it may look ideal on the outside but since we are all humans many of us have our darker sides that not everyone can control.

Anyway - its pointless looking at what right or wrong other people are doing and just be a good enough role model yourself to get your own family through life first then I suppose you can worry about ather things... otherwise you will probably just watch people get ahead in life while you sit there crying about others - try being selfish for your success and make your own dreams come true

I have not said anything against her.She is one of the many sikh models that are doing their job in this world.

Have you heard the name of Amanpreet wahi ,Gul panag,Neha dhupia.They all come from sikh family.Have you ever seen them using them words like that they are fearing cultural backlash?Then why is she pretending that she is afraid.

The only thing that is controveresial here is Why her article is published on sikh site?

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
SSA,
This is vey personal issue. The field she is working is of such nature. Why we bring religion into this. The cut hairs, shaven heads and semi nude pics etc are part of medelling.
I strongly believe that the statement by Harleen that she was upset or very uneasy, are just the "answers to interviewers questions on the spot. Any girl getting into medlling is fully aware of all these things from the begining.
Her statement might have been a part of the popularity propoganda. She has all the rights to do that as all the other stars do.
As far as Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji teachings are concerned the cut-hair, shaven heads, type of dress etc are not the only aspects to be a sikh.
She is on the peak in her business, lets not try to unstabalize her by creating issues out off nothing.
Roop Sidhu

I don't think we are bringing religion into it.It is she who is telling everybody that what is her background.I don't think anybody would have discussed her
if the article on her was not published on sikhchic.Every year many sikh girls
enter indian modelling industry and goes out of it havce you ever seen any discussion on them

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Kanwardeep Singh ji

Always appreciate your perceptions of current Sikhism. But let me correct one thing. SikhChic is not as you have described it a liberal Sikh site. For one thing its target audience is not youngsters. I can get you the web demographics for their site if you like. They are also not liberal. They are dedicated to diverse points of view. Here is the link to the bios of their columnists. There are several amritdhari Sikhs in the lot, including IJ Singh who writes for SPN, keshdhari Sikhs, and also some nonSikhs.

http://www.sikhchic.com/columnists.php

Narayanjot ji

Sikhchic is a site for everybody.audience of sikhchic is vast and youngsters do read it.I don't think anybody can write article and publish it on sikhchic.
Don't you think before publishing it they read and approve an article?

Let me ask you a question .If tommorow there is story of sikh man whose life was in mess because of turban and beard and after discarding it he says that
many of his problem vanished ,Like he got job,got a girl etc.Now my question is will sikhchic allow this type of article to be published?

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Also, for all the people who are posting here, who are you? I mean are you people that are doing 9 - 5 jobs, big business peoples, successful people????? Another point is, if you yourself are no role model then how you going to say what she is doing is wrong?

From what I have written you will notice that I am for and against her at the same time - this just goes to show stop looking at others and become role models yourselves otherwise you are wasting your time looking at others!

As I said, money talks, ******** walks.........

Yes so all of us should abandon sikhism and adopt teaching of Guru Badal ji who will tell us how to make more and more money.

as far your other points are concerned that people should stop discussion please ask admins of this site to shut it as most of us are in no position to discuss any topic

badshah

SPNer
May 8, 2010
I have not said anything against her.She is one of the many sikh models that are doing their job in this world.

Have you heard the name of Amanpreet wahi ,Gul panag,Neha dhupia.They all come from sikh family.Have you ever seen them using them words like that they are fearing cultural backlash?Then why is she pretending that she is afraid.

The only thing that is controveresial here is Why her article is published on sikh site?

Maybe because she comes from a good background of people..... I dunno!

badshah

SPNer
May 8, 2010
Yes so all of us should abandon sikhism and adopt teaching of Guru Badal ji who will tell us how to make more and more money.

as far your other points are concerned that people should stop discussion please ask admins of this site to shut it as most of us are in no position to discuss any topic

No, not to that extreme..... we should all strive to be sucessul, have Sikhi on our sides and be role models..... basically have some sort of balance.

Again... you have taken it literally.... you are free to discuss who ever you want..... but to a certain point you are wasting your time because sitting infront of a computer typing like me is not going to change any thing so its better we work on being the best we can instead of looking at others too much - having said that, these online discussions can be healthy but again priorituy should be yourself not other people taking their clothes of etc etc because there actually is a market for what she is doing and lots of guys would love to see her naked etc etc so no point thinking about it to much.

dilraj7447

SPNer
Apr 18, 2009
Waheguruje ka khalsa te Waheguruje ke Fateh !

Well, What I read the internal Struggle is very intelligent from the girl HARLEEN KAUR. She clearly understands that her religion does not permit such things and in abid to not make them angry gives such statements.Has Mandira Bedi removed her Tatoo of EK Onkar from her back . Neha DHupia has flaunted her body well . All these girls and their parents never understand what stuff was Bibi Bani jee or Mata Gujri jee. They are all selfish stuff , wantinf to follow their dreams . Not bad to follow dreams . But if parents instill and the girls understand what is to preserve Sikhism , they would have dreamt of doing something for the needy Sikh girls and Guys in Punjab or west in London/Canada /US who get lured from Non Sikh guys and get into wrong way of life.

These are the people who have lived for long and understand the nitty gritty of those areas well and can help new sikh guys to preserve theri religion. These women know to flaunt their bodies but do not how to use their brains to preserve their religion what to talk of preaching . Cutting theri hair , Waxing and all other things ...Is this Sikh Religion ...Follow dreams but be realisitic in dreaming ....Do not rush after materialistic things in this world ....You will be definitely pumped by the selfish men to flaunt yourselves but then choice is yours ....

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
No, not to that extreme..... we should all strive to be sucessul, have Sikhi on our sides and be role models..... basically have some sort of balance.

Again... you have taken it literally.... you are free to discuss who ever you want..... but to a certain point you are wasting your time because sitting infront of a computer typing like me is not going to change any thing so its better we work on being the best we can instead of looking at others too much - having said that, these online discussions can be healthy but again priorituy should be yourself not other people taking their clothes of etc etc because there actually is a market for what she is doing and lots of guys would love to see her naked etc etc so no point thinking about it to much.

Dear badshah

Everyone knows the priority is yourself.But discussion forums like SPN are for discussion.If you feel that they are waste of time then you should not discuss anything on forums .

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Maybe because she comes from a good background of people..... I dunno!

She is a model and lives of models and actors are totally dependent on media.
On sikh sangat this issue was discussed and some people were quite surprised her by playing victim card because she is actually doing modelling and dance shows from past few years without any backlash from sikh community and suddenly in a show she remember about backlash and her conservative background.So this is nothing more than a publicity stunt

badshah

SPNer
May 8, 2010
She is a model and lives of models and actors are totally dependent on media.
On sikh sangat this issue was discussed and some people were quite surprised her by playing victim card because she is actually doing modelling and dance shows from past few years without any backlash from sikh community and suddenly in a show she remember about backlash and her conservative background.So this is nothing more than a publicity stunt

Yeah, she did hesitate a bit when asked the question..... anyway..... good luck to her.... she does not affect me because I do not want to become a model.....

Also on an ending note from me..... she is no big deal tbh..... you got far bigger personalities that can affect the way of life of people that..... and those people that can do that are people like Pamela Anderson, Paris Hilton, Cindy Crawford, Kate Moss..... they affect the media on mass, whereas what this thread is about just does not even compare

Jul 3, 2010
I am surprised to see this article on this website. Just because someone use Singh or Kaur as last or middle name does not mean person is a devoted Sikh. Using last name is what govt authorities require these days at time of birth for birth records and child has no say into it what so ever, and name change later on is a nightmare and very complex procedure. So let me make it clear here that I have no objection on anybody's name.

This website is about SIKH PHILOSOPHY and what Sikhism is all about and not about news like this for a professional achievement which is not related to Sikhism or Sikh faith at all. She is a very talented girl with nature given beauty and deserves to reach all the heights in her professional career, but it is not related to Sikh philosophy.
SO LEAVE THIS TOPIC OUT OF CONVERSATION and you smart *** comments.

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
I am surprised to see this article on this website. Just because someone use Singh or Kaur as last or middle name does not mean person is a devoted Sikh. Using last name is what govt authorities require these days at time of birth for birth records and child has no say into it what so ever, and name change later on is a nightmare and very complex procedure. So let me make it clear here that I have no objection on anybody's name.

This website is about SIKH PHILOSOPHY and what Sikhism is all about and not about news like this for a professional achievement which is not related to Sikhism or Sikh faith at all. She is a very talented girl with nature given beauty and deserves to reach all the heights in her professional career, but it is not related to Sikh philosophy.
SO LEAVE THIS TOPIC OUT OF CONVERSATION and you smart *** comments.

Harinder Singh Nijjar ji,

Actually, all sorts of things are discussed on this forum, some only marginally related to Sikhi. As a part of being Sikhs, everything going on in the world affects us and is a part of us.

I think the fact that this girl is perceived as Sikh by some makes her a valid topic. Certainly, she is not the most important subject; the Panth has plenty of problems these days that we can be discussing. And they are being discussed. I think it's important to keep our interests broad on the forum. For those uninterested, there are many other threads alive and well.

And, of course, you can always start a new thread, if there's something you want to discuss. :motherlylove:

icecreamkaur

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
I have all sorts of opinions on this, but I think I'll sit back and see what some of our younger members have to say. I'm really interested in their responses on this one.

The ball is now in their court!

We already have women, acting like pieces of meat in Bollywood and Hollywood for mens titilation, why do people have to think that this is the best way to get on in life?

Why not be a scientist, a soldier or and artist? Why the hell a piece of meat for men to ogle over?:omggg:

This is not cultural, but the view of a Liberal minded human being who has been brought up in the West and is quite frankly fed up of the X factor, instant fame culture we have nowadays!!!!

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
We already have women, acting like pieces of meat in Bollywood and Hollywood for mens titilation, why do people have to think that this is the best way to get on in life?

Why not be a scientist, a soldier or and artist? Why the hell a piece of meat for men to ogle over?:omggg:

This is not cultural, but the view of a Liberal minded human being who has been brought up in the West and is quite frankly fed up of the X factor, instant fame culture we have nowadays!!!!

Well men also work as a piece of meat in bollywood.Is there not a craze among men to make their bodies more and more attractive for Girls?

Aug 6, 2006
SSA,

This is just a publisity gaining propoganda. And she has been successful. We sikhs ! what a caring nature we have got ! Someone (whose name got singh or kaur) just give one statements and we start discussions. I remember in the past Narayanjot Kaur ji had to remind the readers to respond to some real sikhi related issues. It clearly shows that what we are more into.
Roopsidhu

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Narayanjot ji

Sikhchic is a site for everybody.audience of sikhchic is vast and youngsters do read it.I don't think anybody can write article and publish it on sikhchic.
Don't you think before publishing it they read and approve an article?

Let me ask you a question .If tommorow there is story of sikh man whose life was in mess because of turban and beard and after discarding it he says that
many of his problem vanished ,Like he got job,got a girl etc.Now my question is will sikhchic allow this type of article to be published?

Kanwardeep Singh ji
You are right this time. SikhChic is for a diverse group, just as I said in my previous post. It is not a liberal site, as you said in one of your previous posts. I will post the web profile for its visitors after I read all the new threads for today. :)

Added later. At this link are the statistics describing the typical web audience for SikhChic. They should give us a sense as to whether youngsters are likely to form the wrong impressions from this information http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/sikhchic.com

Last edited by a moderator:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
What about this Sikh model? What do forum members have to say. He was a well publicized image following the 2009 Mumbai fashion extravaganza held every year. In fact the promotional material states the Sikh presence was definitely felt that year.

In some ways he is presenting a very different picture - he is keshdhari or so it appears. Like Harleen is he seeking publicity? Is it OK for him to be a fashion model? Is he a good or a bad role model for youngsters? Has he abandoned Sikh values? Do we know if he will take off his clothes if he is asked to do so?

Full story at this link
http://fateh.sikhnet.com//sikhnet/news.nsf/NewsArchive/8085193843C0592F87257420004FD365

I picked this up at Sikhnet which is also a Sikh site.

There is says ?'Moreover, it also signified that being a Sikh doesn't hinder you from being a model and sporting the latest fashion. The line is meant for the more fashion conscious consumer,' he added."

Just some thoughts.:happykaur:

Attachments

• 0.340!OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=jpg.jpg
    0.340!OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=jpg.jpg
    16.6 KB · Reads: 473

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM