• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh News Harbhajan's Sikh Joke Falls Flat (Daily Telegraph)

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
CRICKET bad boy Harbhajan Singh has landed in trouble again - but this time for his part in a TV reality show.

Harbhajan, never far from controversy on the field, enraged Sikh religious leaders by dressing up and making light of two figures of Hindu mythology, the demon Ravana and goddess Sita, in a nationally broadcast dance routine with famous local actress Mona Singh.

More...

Mona Singh?! Hilarious! :veryhappykaur::veryhappykudi:
I once had an interesting encounter with a Christian missionary named Mona. Her last name wasn't Singh, though. :veryhappymunda:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I want to meet this guy! The story of Ravana and Sita is in Sri Guru Granth Sahib by reference. Putting someone under criminal charges for a satire is very difficult for me to grasp. It is one thing to express dismay. It is something else altogether to file criminal charges. This is one cultural divide that I cannot understand.

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
I want to meet this guy! The story of Ravana and Sita is in Sri Guru Granth Sahib by reference. Putting someone under criminal charges for a satire is very difficult for me to grasp. It is one thing to express dismay. It is something else altogether to file criminal charges. This is one cultural divide that I cannot understand.

I think this gets back to the fact that "India" is a bunch of little principalities and countries held together by Scotch tape and prone to communal violence.

The Indian government is afraid of this sort of freedom, and, given the level of communal violence in that country, with some good cause.

Freedom of expression, especially in religious matters, is in the far future in India, if at all. My opinion is that the country will disintegrate before that happens.

Aug 6, 2006
SSA,
I can'i understand , what is objectionable? the satire, ravana, or dancing with a lady?
Is Harbhajan the first one wearing such satire, How many devi devtas mockery is being done in feture films and specially the cartoon movies?. Why we make fuss of everything. It seems our sikh leader have no other constructive issues to deal with. Why they involve themselves in such things?

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
I want to hear words from people which were calling that targeting Mandira is sexist.Though this news is old but here too It was Harbhajan who was forced to apologise.
Those who don't know Mona singh too is a sikh and is also very popular household name.
Sikh leaders did not ask her to apologise.Now may I ask them what they want to say about this type of sexism?

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM