• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Gurus Guru's Pictures And Portraits

navroopsingh

SPNer
Nov 15, 2006
I, during my spiritual voyage, came amongst a book called Bandgi Nama, Communion with the Divine written by Raghbir Singh Bir. It is an EXCELLENT book and explains things of all matters in Sikhism. One such thing is the explanation of Guru's Image. Im not sure of the copyright policies on the internet but I'll go ahead and post this.(if mods want to delete it go ahead...ill just post an explanation of it afterwards even though it would take FOREVER!! OMG )

QUOTE from BANDGI NAMA BY RAGHBIR SINGH BIR.
Chapter 7, page 70.

"In the preliminary stages (of simran), many seekers of Truth, while resorting to the Simran of "Wahiguru" fix their mind on Guru Nanak, Guru Gobind Singh, some incarnation or other, but they have to face a great difficulty in the final stages. I myself (author) used to have a picture of Guru Nanak before my eyes when I began Simran. At first, this device proved very useful in promoting concentration. As I progressed, I visualized that the picture scintillated with sparks of light and glowed with life-as if Guru Nanak was present in flesh. Then my joy knew no bounds. Whenever I so chose, I could, as it were, have a glimpse of the Guru. I felt as if the image of the Guru dwelt in my heart, and when I chose, I closed my eyes, and I could visualize the Guru within."

The author then goes on in providing one of his verses to express it.

The next paragraph is definitely the most important one nad completely shows certain unnamed people that meditation or prayer to pictures is ultimately negative in the spiritual aspects of life.

QUOTE from BANDGI NAMA BY RAGHBIR SINGH BIR.
Chapter 7, page 70.

When this state develops further, it becomes hard to contemplate God in His transcendence and our union with Him anre the crown and climax, the apex and zenith of spiritual growth. When I wished to concentrate on the formless one, there areose before my eyes the image of the Guru. At last, with a mighty effort, greater than that which I had formed the habit of picturing to myself the Guru. I undid and broke this habit. It is, therefore, essential to reflect on the Formless God from the very outset, else difficulties arise in the closing stages. The concentration and meditation should therefore be only on the Guru's "Sabad" (word-Wahiguru) and the seeker should continue to dwell on His Name by the process of meditation and listening to the same. Judicious Mahatmas commend this very course that I suggest.

I had to type that all out so I bid to you to read it with an open and learning mind or we all shall remain ignorant or naive in this most important aspect of our life.

As to the comment on the similarities of Sikhism and Hinduism. I won't even COMMENT on what you said and the so called similarities listed. Which were none as you seemed to list only differences. Im not going to get into that argument now and I wish for us to all leave it for another time and forum where it would fit.

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Jan 21, 2007
I personally believe that keeping pictures of the guru's at your house or wherever is wrong as it could eventually lead to their worshipping and even the guru's themselves said to not have pictures of them made...anyways, i just wanted to here everyone's opinions on this subject.

I myself do not like the idea of hanging pictures of the gurus in homes.
No-one knew what the gurus looked like!?!

But I do have two paintings in my home, one of Sri Guru Arjun Dev Ji who is about to sit on the tati-tavi and another of the two younger sahibzade being bricked alive.
I do not worship these paintings, instead, whenever i look at the paintings I remember the strong history behind the scene within and how we are blessed with such wonderful lives through God's grace.

I do not think that it is wrong to hang such paintings within homes, as long as you do not worship them.

Bhul chuk maaf.

vaapaaraa

SPNer
Jul 15, 2004
Yeah, As long as they are not worshipped.

When I was much younger like a child , I used to pay respect , folding hands, to the paintings, it seemed sometimes Guru ji was smiling at me, sometimes little strict, like it was real...

But I know Guru ji is formless... Although I do believe there is difference between idol worship, and just paying your respects to something symbolizing Guru ji, or reminding Guru ji. What do you think?

While doing simran I try not to think of any image of Guru ji, and just concentrate on Vaahiguroo.

May 16, 2005
Vernon, BC Canada
This is again, up to each individual to make up there own mind on this topic. In my opinion, a picture of the gurus is only what someone else thinks of the gurus, so it doest actually help me in the end. In fact, what is the difference between an idol from stone that resembles the "gurus" and a picture?

Pictures are not important, not as nearly as important as there writings and teachings.

binnz001

SPNer
Sep 21, 2006
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa , Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Well dear all , plz remebr that Bhagat Kabir Ji said
"Guru Govind dou khade, kaake laagoon paye
Balihari guru aapki, Govind diyo milaye.
"

TRANSLATION :
I face both God and my guru. Whom should I bow to first?
I first bow to my guru because he's the one who showed me the path to God.

so i belive that even if we bow our heards in front of pics, thrz o harm .. if u think like a scientist , a picture is nothing less than a sheet of paper & ink on it. But if u see from the eyes of a believer , its their faith & devotion that makes that sheet of paper & that ink ur path to Waheguru & always remind us that thers someone above us who is watching us all the time.

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA , WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

jasi

SPNer
Apr 28, 2005
canada
SS AKALk JI

Repetitions of God's name and appreciating HIS bounties showered on us will make us realize that each breath is coming wit His praise and wonders.

It certainly helps us to realizes GOD'S presence in our heart after reading GURU"S teachings and reciting Akal Purkh.

Pictures of Gurus or any object if it motivate one's inner conscious as all human nature is to lean on something make one realized the presence of God in one's heart.

Not repetitions of any words but actually feels HIS presence in One's heart.

Mode of 5 prayers or any other rituals are meant to make each of us motivated and reminders to be righteous in our daily life.

There is one GOD as we feel deep in our heart after developing certain level of realizations but no one his born yet to explain HIS existences or Origins so far but realized by many Prophets,Saints ,Gurus.

Jaspi

Oct 11, 2006
Patiala,Punjab.
Re: Guru's "pictures/portraits"

i agree with truthseeker. pictures show us somethign tangible that we can picture in our minds. it puts a face to a name. like said previously, its essential that we do not worship these photos, seeing as that is prohibited.

my question then is how did artists such as soba singh know what the gurus really looked like?

sorry if i hijacked your thread...

Soba Singh"s portrait of Guru Nanak Dev ji looks like the artist"s self-portrait and everybody started believing it to be the true image of our great Guru. :singhsippingcoffee:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM