• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Guru

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010
"GURU"

"GU" is darkness "RU" is light

"GURU" dispels darkness and brings light like shabad of "GURU's BANI"

Our visual sense provide experience of "EXTERNAL WORLD" to our "Imaginative Sense" or "Surat"

But How to get realization of "INNER WORLD" inside body experiences

Our senses disguise that cause of

"E Motion" is outer physical world

"GURU's BANI" take us out of this doubt

"GURU BANI" says cause of E Motion is ones own thought and chemistry produced within

"SEX" or Sensual Feeling are not related to physical opposite sexual body

but it is related to thought of opposite sexual body by physical sense reading watching or just imagination

It is production of testosterone which excites not the physical opposite

So Do "FEAR"

Snake doesn't causes "FEAR"

If it causes fear than why model of snake evoke fear

And than learned people of National Geograhic Channel how they are not afraid of snake

Its only mind and training of mind.

So do all ten basic emotions

(Five Positive and Five Negative)

10 Bondages

or

10 Attachements of mind

Originated as "RAVAN" from stem cells of navel no one can kill it again appears

There is equivalent counter action for all our external actions

One may eat anything but internal body knows how to make balance

Stop and Realize Who makes balance

Body's PH, Temprature, Pressure is static "BIOSTATS"

One may try to disturb the internal balance by misbehaving with the discipline of body.

But "GOD" know to create life balance for "living of that cell"

So know your inside and enjoy healthy, peaceful life

with "GURU's BANI"

Check external and internal both for getting reality

"GURU's BANI" dispels inner darkness

"GRANTH SAHIB" is "GURU"

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
ravneet_sb ji thanks for your post. Just one comment regarding the non-Sikh or layman's understanding of the common usage of the word "Guru" in non-Eastern centric populations.

I take the following definition from Merriam-Webster dictionary,
(http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/guru)

gu·ru

noun
\ˈgu̇r-(ˌ)ü, ˈgü-(ˌ)rü also gə-ˈrü\
plural gurus
Definition of GURU

1: a personal religious teacher and spiritual guide in Hinduism

2a : a teacher and especially intellectual guide in matters of fundamental concern b : one who is an acknowledged leader or chief proponent c : a person with knowledge or expertise : expert

Examples of GURU
  1. He has been a guru to many young writers.
  2. She's a self-proclaimed financial guru.
  3. Fitness gurus call it the hottest new exercise trend of the year.

Origin of GURU

ultimately from Sanskrit guru, from guru, adjective, heavy, venerable —

Related to GURU

Synonyms: ace, adept, artist, authority, cognoscente, connoisseur, crackerjack (also crackajack), dab [chiefly British], dab hand [chiefly British], fiend, geek, expert, hand, hotshot, maestro, master, maven (also mavin), meister, past master, proficient, scholar, shark, sharp, virtuoso, whiz, wizard
Antonyms: amateur, inexpert, nonexpert
So common understood usage in non-religious ways (perhaps 99% of its usage in the West) is a teacher, an expert, a knowledgeable person, a revered person.

I offer the above in the context that we cannot change the world and need to recognize how it is.

Thanks for your post and above only a suggestive add-on if it helps create a balanced reading, specially for the young and new.

Sat Sri Akal.

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010
welcomemunda
ravneet_sb ji thanks for your post. Just one comment regarding the non-Sikh or layman's understanding of the common usage of the word "Guru" in non-Eastern centric populations.

I take the following definition from Merriam-Webster dictionary,
(http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/guru)

So common understood usage in non-religious ways (perhaps 99% of its usage in the West) is a teacher, an expert, a knowledgeable person, a revered person.

I offer the above in the context that we cannot change the world and need to recognize how it is.

Thanks for your post and above only a suggestive add-on if it helps create a balanced reading, specially for the young and new.

Sat Sri Akal.

"MAN" is limited one's mind can be evoked for

1. Literature
2. Legal
3. Financial
4. Technical
5. Human
6. Medical
7. Environmental
and so many fields.

But to realize all are subject matter of

to understand all object inside is "ONE" that is "mind"

One may evoke knowledge in one field, two field, three or many.
Sill ocean of knowledge is vast.
No one can absorb it.

One has definition of "GURU" with own knowledge of respective field.
So literal people defines "GURU" having light of particular field.

"GURU's BANI"

say don't try to capture ocean in pot

Understand the pot "MIND"

Role of "MIND" in the body

Know the "SELF" inside

And be in "Peace"

Outer knowledge if for eaning in life

But to live happy life "On" should be aware of own "INNER SELF"

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
ravneet_sb ji thanks for your post.

My post was not a negative comment on your starting post which is very good but just for note only.

You use "Guru's" "Bani" in some of your writing versus "Gurbani". I thought it is always Gurbani.

Can you differentiate or comment on the difference thereof.

Thank you.

Sat Sri Akal.

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010
SAT SRI AKAAL,

"I" don't know
and my apology "I" have not read most of writtings.

The way it comes "I" write.

Wahe Guru Ji Ka Khalsa
Wahe Guru Ji Ki Fateh

Aug 28, 2010
I think Gurbani is not a literature so the wordly literal meanings may not be conveying the true message of Gurbani.
Gurbani is BRAHMGIYANu and its messages should be understood from within Gurbani.
Prakash.s.Bagga

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010
SAT SRI AKAAL,

"I" may have used wrong letters, alphabets or words to my imaginative thought.

So please don't take it literal or alphabetic,
words are just to express inner feeling and imagination.

"GURU" in physical form is

"Master" who can not be contradicted, not teaches, but preaches, whos work is above all arguements

"Doer" or practitioner of the subject

"Fearless" no fear of topic

"Without Jealousy/ hatred" is supremo of subject has no inferior or superior feelings

"Resembles Formless"

"Without Mindset" attuned to "True Nature"

like "GURU NANAK" is our spiritual "GURU"

And "GURU GRANTH" sahib ji

"GURU" in abstract form

"PAWAN GURU" as a thought

which hits mind plane and one speaks
and
one master his recitation or literature

"GURU's PARSAD" or "masters food of thought' always doer/tasteless/formless but soon it hits mind,

it take form of words (English/Pujabi/ Bengali.......)

From which MASTERS are born

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Aug 28, 2010
While writing anything in context of Gurbani we can not use our own imagination for making use of words .Since Banee is perfect thru perfect GuR we have to understand this perfection otherwise we go astray. All Gurbani words are from TAKSAAL of TRUTH
so we should always make use of the words in the form as given in SGGS .

Prakash.S.Bagga

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Prakash S. Baggu ji

We understand the grammar. What we do not understand is why you will not enlarge on the connection between grammar and meaning. If you won't do that because the meaning has to be found within Gurbani, then there is no point in having a discussion. So why do you even bring it up? How would anyone know if they got the meaning they were supposed to get. According to your reasoning interpretation could turn out to be nothing more than free association to words, even when the grammar is understood. There are two meanings for this sentence:

Visiting relatives can be boring.

Which one is correct? Or are both correct? The purpose of discussion is to get the meanings out and discuss our perspective on the meanings. Please take my more than 20 requests to you seriously. I shall continue to delete these posts veer ji. They add nothing as they are.

Aug 28, 2010
SPNADMIN ji,
I fully understand your concern.But i am surprised to see most of the times we have stuck up with certain repeatative messages which are basically unconventional.
Imay clarify yourgoodself I am not here for establishing any of views,nor I have any financial interests.
Sometimes I do think why I should be unnecesarily telling the observations of Gurbani which hardly any one is interested.It is my Love and Affection for my GURoo which makes me to do so.As such I am well settled person in my life by the grace of Sati GuRu ji.
If you feel anything wrong then I am sorry for that.
Prakash.S.Bagga

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
While writing anything in context of Gurbani we can not use our own imagination for making use of words .

Prakash.S.Bagga
Prakash.s.Bagga ji thanks for your post but I have an issue for the above sentence.

As you know very well, our Guru's were called Guru and not GUR. No matter how you translate Guru, it signifies a teacher but is not the subject or content of what is being taught. So Gurus are not GUR. I don't know where you studied, but a good teacher always encourages you to think, to imagine. Why should we not imagine when we read and try to understand "Guru Granth Sahib ji". For the Sikhs, the best teacher there is.

If one calls "Sri Guru Granth Sahib" GUR, then we are well on our way to idol worship and not respecting a teacher that Guru Granth Sahib ji is.

Guru has only one meaning in Sikhism, esteemed teacher and guide for Sikhs. All our Gurus were, including the eternal Guru Granth Sahib.

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
Ambarsaria said:
If one calls "Sri Gur Granth Sahib" GUR, then we are well on our way to idol worship and not respecting a teacher that Guru Granth Sahib ji is.

Guru has only one meaning in Sikhism, esteemed teacher and guide for Sikhs

Veer ji,Please don't draw your musket on your friend,but I don't understand why using Gur means we are on our way to Idol worship, we do say ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ,Satgur or ਗੁਰੁ ਸਿਖ. Gursikh,Is this not just semantics? God is not found with a clear grammar but with a clear understanding.

khu kbIr mY so guru pwieAw jw kw nwau ibbykuo ]4]5]
Says Kabeer, I have found that Guru, whose Name is Clear Understanding. ||4||5||

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Veer ji,Please don't draw your musket on your friend,but I don't understand why using Gur means we are on our way to Idol worship, we do say ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ,Satgur or ਗੁਰੁ ਸਿਖ. Gursikh,Is this not just semantics?
Veer sp ji if someone wants to slice things too fine they also lose the right to have a co{censored} meal of their choice. I will let praksah.s.bagga ji describe the differences to you.

GUR/ਗੁਰ is creator, a specific and one in Sikhism. Prakash.s.bagga ji likes to say it is "Prabh". The accents of "ੁ ੂ ਿ" very specifically modify the meaning of the word GUR/ਗੁਰ. I have absolutely no issue recognizing all that and so we should.

Sat Sri Akal.

PS: I am going through the study of all this (even though in my own mind I have clarity about it) so it can be comprehensively posted for review, comment, correction and if it helps others.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2010
AMBARSARIA Ji,
I have been a mediocre student during my school studies.and I am still mediocre in my presentation .Probably this could be the reason I am unable to write to your satisfaction.
However when ever I requested you to confirm your views on the pattern of words as being discussed you too never responded affirmatevey.This way I also find myself in indeceive position.
I may inform you Gurbani grammer is different from grammer of Punjabi language.You are thinking interms of grammer of Punjabi language and I am presenting in terms of pure Gurbani grammer so the difference is bound to be there.
So my dear freind first make familiar and try to know how Gurbani grammer is different from grammer of Punjabi /Gurmukhi language.Things would start becoming clear and clear and I am sure you would be my best Teacher.
With best wishes
Prakash.s.Bagga

Aug 28, 2010
AMBARSARIA Ji,
First thing I may clear you I never flagged Prf Sahib Singh Ji.I have learnt a lot thru his contribution.So I dont know how you have concluded.I still remember what I had responded to your question regarding status of Gurbani Teekas by different Scholars includind Prof Sahib Singh.
It would be nice if you go thru a book Gurbani Viakaran by Prof Sahib Singh ji.It will be useful to know How Gurbani grammer is different from Punjabi grammer.
Prakash.S.Bagga

Aug 28, 2010
AMBARSARIA Ji,
You would like to repond to my post or not it is purely your choice but certainly not a n approach of a GurSikh.
Your Paraphrase"I am surprised he has violated his own rules of grammer while doing SGGS Darpan". I still agree to this. Not only Prof Sahib Singh ji even all others contributors of Gurbani grammer stand at par in this regard.
Now you may say the whole world is wrong and only myself claiming to be the exquisite.
It is not like this.
I havesimply presented my observations for analysis froma person like you,Giyani Jarnail Singh ji,Tejwant Singh ji.If my observations are wrong then I should be told clearly the way my observations are wrong.
I still look forward to communicate with your goodself because I would not like to loose a GurSIKh like you.
Prakash.S.Bagga

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
Spnadmin said:
Visiting relatives can be boring. Which one is correct? Or are both correct?

As an aristocrat it should be 'Visiting [ones] relatives can be boring' , or 'Visiting relatives can be boring [if they out stay their welcome that can be terribly tiresome ].' In other words you need more information to make sense of it ,thats why we should look at the Guru's word in full Shabads,individual words won't affect the real message as it's conatained in the full.

"An author is a fool who, not content with boring those he lives with,insists on boring future generations."

Charles de Montesquieu

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM