• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Guru Nanak Talks To Siddha In Himalaya - 1

Mar 30, 2012
388284_10150442191722859_628812858_8418711_112232188_n.jpg

Snuggled in the Guru Granth Sahib on pages 938-946 are seventy-three exquisite stanzas that encapsulate the philosophy of Guru Nanak. Written in a musical measure is a discourse between Guru Nanak and the Nath yogis. The latter were ascetics (siddhs) who had renounced the world and made their home in the caves of the Himalayas, where they practiced their religious austerities; they subscribed to the belief system that certain mental and physical exercises are necessary for acquiring occult powers (also known as siddhs), which in turn would lead to the attainment of liberation.

So what is the Siddh Gosht?

The Siddh Gosht is a series of questions put before Guru Nanak by the yogis. What is fascinating is that the questions of the yogis are the very same questions we face in the world today. Guru Nanak answers the yogis in their language, using their idiom and symbolism. His answers are as fresh and enlightening as they were some five centuries ago. His belief that liberation can be attained while "living in this world" by becoming truth-oriented, comes out loud and clear. For Guru Nanak, true yoga is a meditative remembrance of the Word, but must be combined with selfless service to those in need in the community.

“The Siddha Yogis formed an assembly, and sitting in their yogic postures spoke to Guru Nanak: ’Make your obeisance to this gathering.’”

Answered Guru Nanak: “I bow only to Him who is true, infinite and beautiful beyond compare. My body and mind I surrender to Him and my head I place before Him. It is in keeping the company of the saints that one reaches the Truth, and by the Truth itself one is blessed. No goal is reached by wandering aimlessly. Purity is only achieved through the practice of the True Name [Sat Naam]. Without the True Name, liberation comes to none.”

सिध सभा करि आसणि बैठे संत सभा जैकारो ॥
The Siddhas formed an assembly; sitting in their Yogic postures, they shouted, "Salute this gathering of Saints".

तिसु आगै रहरासि हमारी साचा अपर अपारो ॥
I offer my salutation to the One who is true, infinite and incomparably beautiful.

मसतकु काटि धरी तिसु आगै तनु मनु आगै देउ ॥
I cut off my head, and offer it to Him; I dedicate my body and mind to Him".

नानक संतु मिलै सचु पाईऐ सहज भाइ जसु लेउ ॥१॥
O Nanak, meeting with the Saints, Truth is obtained, and one is spontaneously blessed with distinction. ||1|| (Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji - 938)

रहरास – नमस्कार (Salutation); अपर अपारो - बेअंत; अनंत (Limitless, Infinite); सच – प्रभु (Almighty); सहज भाए - सहज रूप से (State of least resistance)

390839_10150442932202859_628812858_8421036_2062608973_n.jpg

Siddhas sat in the meeting and Almighty is being hailed in this meeting. (Everyone in the meeting says) We salute the meeting of saints. We pray to the unparalleled and immortal Lord that they are willing to sacrifice their body and mind over Him. O Nanak ! It becomes very easy to meet the Lord by living in the company of saints and one gets the honor of reaching His eternal abode.

सिद्ध सभा में आसन लगा कर बैठ गए हैं और इस सभा में परमात्मा की जयजयकार हो रही है | (सभा में मौजूद सब लोग कहते हैं ) हम संतो की सभा का नमस्कार करतें हैं | उस अनुपम, अविनाशी प्रभु के आगे विनती है कि तन - मन उन पर न्योछावर कर दें | हे नानक ! संतो की संगति द्वारा सुगमता से उस सच्चे (प्रभु) के साथ मिलाप हो जाता है और (उसके धाम में पहुँचने की) सच्ची बड़ाई प्राप्त हो जाती है |

These few lines in the beginning indicate that the confabulation was taking place in very tranquil and cordial environment. In these lines, glory of Lord and saints has been recited and this idea has been reinforced that it becomes very easy to realize God in the company and shelter of true saints. In rest part of meeting, more than forty stanzas have been devoted to praising of Guru (Master), Satguru (Perfect master) and Gurumukh (Seeker happy in the will of his Guru). In complete discussion, basis of Gurumat (Will of Guru), Guru, God and His Name or Word is covered.

ये शुरुवात कि चंद लाइनें ये इंगित करती हैं कि बातचीत बड़े ही शांत और सौहार्द के वातावरण में हो रही है | इन पंक्तियों में प्रभु और संतो की महिमा गाई गयी है और साथ ही साथ ये विश्वास भी दृढ़ कराया गया है कि संत-सतगुरु की शरण द्वारा सुगमता से प्रभु के मिलाप का कार्य हो जाता है | शेष गोष्ठी कि ४० से ज्यादा पौडियों में अनेक बार गुरु, सतगुरु और गुरुमुख की महिमा की गयी है | सम्पूर्ण गोष्टी मैं गुरुमत का आधार, गुरु और उस की प्रभु से मिलाप करनेवाली, शब्द यानी नामरूपी युक्ति की ध्वनि गूंजती सुनाई देती है |

किआ भवीऐ सचि सूचा होइ ॥
What is the use of wandering around? Purity comes only through Truth.

साच सबद बिनु मुकति न कोइ ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Without the True Word of the Shabad, no one finds liberation. ||1| (Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji - 938)

After describing the glory of God and perfect saints, Guru Sahib expounds his way of thinking. He says: Our real objective is to God realization and acceptance in His court. How this objective be attained by wandering to different places and going to pilgrimages? Until we do not unite with Lord, how can we be purified? The redemption and glory of being united with Lord can only be obtained by concentrating to the divine Word of the Lord. In first line, Guru Sahib considers Sat (Truth or Lord) as the means of purifying oneself and in second line considers True Word (Sat Nam) as the means for complete redemption. It is clear that He does not distinguish between the Lord and True Word. Lord or His Word is the mean for purification of soul, union with divinity and complete redemption.

प्रभु और पूर्ण संतों की महिमा बयान करके गुरु साहिब रहाउ की इन पंक्तियों में अपनी विचारधारा का सार प्रगट करते हैं | आप कहतें हैं : हमारा वास्तविक उद्देश्य हरी की प्राप्ति है, इसके दरबार में स्वीकार होना है | यह कार्य स्थान-स्थान पर घुमने से या तीर्थों पर जाने से कैसे पूर्ण हो सकता है ? जब तक हम सच्चे हरी के साथ नहीं जुड़ते, तब तक हम कैसे निर्मल हो सकतें हैं ? हरी के साथ मिलाप की बडाई यानी मुक्ति केवल सच्चे शब्द के साथ लिव जोड़ने से ही प्राप्त हो सकती है |

गुरु साहिब पहली पंक्ति में सत्य को निर्मलता की प्राप्ति का साधन मानते हैं और दूसरी पंक्ति में शब्द को मुक्ति का साधन मानतें हैं | स्पष्ट है की आप शब्द और परमात्मा में कोई भेद नहीं मानते हैं | प्रभु या शब्द को आत्मा की निर्मलता, प्रभु के मिलाप और मुक्ति का साधन समझने में कोई अंतर नहीं है |

On superficial observation, these lines may appear wayward from main topic but in reality, they form the basis for future discussion and also expounds His basic thinking on the topic being discussed. Guru Sahib has used the action of meeting the Lord and attainment of complete redemption in similar context and meaning.

सतही तौर पर देखने पर उपर्युक्त पंक्तियाँ प्रसंग रहित प्रतीत होती हैं , परन्तु वास्तव में इन्होनें न केवल आगे होने वाले संवाद के लिए आधार कायम कर दिया है, बल्कि अपनी विचारधारा का सार भी कायम कर दिया है | गुरु साहिब ने प्रभु के मिलाप और मुक्ति की प्राप्ति का सामान अर्थों में प्रयोग किया है |

The objective of yogis is obtaining liberation and Guru Sahib’s ideology is also concerned with same objective. Yogis lat stress on wandering to different places and visiting pilgrimages as the means for obtaining redemption. Guru Sahib explains: Mind cannot be purified by wandering at different places and visiting pilgrimages. Mind and soul gets purified when they attach with the divine Truth (Satnam or God). The way to attach with the Lord is through Word or Harinam. We cannot obtain true liberation without being attached to God through Word.

योगियों का उद्देश्य भी मुक्ति की प्राप्ति है और गुरु साहिब की विचारधारा भी मुक्ति से सम्बन्ध रखती है | योगी मुक्ति की प्राप्ति के लिए देश-देशांतर के भ्रमण पर बल देते हैं और तीर्थों के स्नान को पवित्रता की प्राप्ति का साधन मानते हैं | गुरु साहिब समझातें हैं : जगह भटकने से और तीर्थों पर स्नान करने से मन की निर्मलता प्राप्त नहीं हो सकती है | मन और आत्मा तभी निर्मल होतें हैं जब वे प्रभुरूपी सत्य से जुड़ते हैं | सत्य से जुड़ने का साधन प्रभु का सच्चा शब्द यानि सच्चा नाम है | इसलिए जब तक हम शब्द (नाम) के साथ जुड़कर प्रभु में अभेद नहीं होते, मुक्ति प्राप्त नहीं हो सकती |

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM