Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Guru Nanak Dev ji being asked: How to tackle the hardest tasks with humility … 12

Discussion in 'Sidh Gosht' started by Ambarsaria, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Ambarsaria

Ambarsaria Canada
    Expand Collapse
    ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
    Writer SPNer Contributor Supporter

Here the series of questions deal with issues of ego. It is depicted by the Sidhs as hard as steel to get rid of. They metaphorically ask how the humbleness and humility can crack such an impossible hardened state. The questions are driven by the many such impediments and how a humble approach befits.

Let us review the following,

Sidhas/Yogis ask:
    Guru Ji’s answers:
    Guru ji describe that the ego destroys the inner self. They propose that the conflict of inner and outer self needs to be resolved so all is one. There by one is the same inside and out.

Guru ji state that it is this oneness which will overcome impediments so hard as steel. The wisdom so becoming available in this state will eliminate the wanderings of the mind as consonance with the creator will overtake.

In summary Guru ji state that if you are one and the same as in and out, much wisdom flows and the hardest of issues become addressable. The spirituality so shines being in consonance with the creator and the creation in this state.

Have we stopped or reduced our two selves? Do we still have a battle of the two as to be good in one and bad in the other as we oscillate and try to balance the inner with the outer? Without naming or trying to denigrate, the monkey dance and split personalities of politicians vividly help us understand the conflicting dualities of self referenced in this discourse. mundahug

What you think?

Sat Sri Akal.

PS: Please see the appropriate complete Shabad here,

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sidh-gosht/38860-si-gosht-sabad-33-48-73-a.html

• Like Like x 3
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    DEVELOPMENT OF INTERFAITH DIALOGUE BY GURU NANAK Interfaith Dialogues Nov 30, 2016
    Guru Nanak Dev Ji Gurpurab New to Sikhism Nov 14, 2016
    Sikh Gurus Sikh History Vol 2, Guru Nanak Sahib (Part B) History of Sikhism Jun 26, 2016
    Sikh Gurus Sikh History, Vol 1: Guru Nanak Sahib (Part A) History of Sikhism Jun 26, 2016
    Footprints Of Guru Nanak In Sri Lanka History of Sikhism May 27, 2016

3. Luckysingh

Luckysingh Canada
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer

There are probably a few ways of looking at this shabad in slightly different ways, but each one of them can give credibility to God's strength or the strength of the shabad.

I like to look at it as the 'teeth of wax' representing the word of shabad and the iron being the world maya that we have to bite through.
    This highlights the strength of shabad that can bite through anything.
    The 'shabad' is defined earlier in the speech and previous post about being the 'unspoken word'.

4. prakash.s.bagga

prakash.s.bagga
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Supporter

LUCKY SINGH Ji,
    You are right in your understanding like this but,
    I think there is no such reference in Gurbanee as "the word of shabad"

There is always a reference like "GuR Ka SAbadu" that is The Word of GuR.

Prakash.s.Bagga

• Like Like x 2
  5. BhagatSingh

BhagatSingh Canada
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer sikhiart.com

Lucky Singh ji,
    Remember last time I said the Siddhas who Guru Nanak was speaking to here were enlightened. This was the line I was thinking of "ਹਿਵੈ ਕਾ ਘਰੁ ਮੰਦਰੁ ਅਗਨਿ ਪਿਰਾਹਨੁ ॥".
    They ask
    How can one enter the temple of ice (how can one be at peace)
    when wearing robes of fire (when being filled with desire and Haumai)?

Then they ask
    ਇਤ ਉਤ ਕਿਸ ਕਉ ਜਾਣਿ ਸਮਾਵੈ
    What should we recognize as that which is all-pervading?

(another question coming from someone who is already enlightened)
    To which Guru Nanak gives a beautiful answer!
    ਅੰਤਰਿ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਏਕੋ ਜਾਣੈ
    Recognize that which is inside and outside to be one.

Wow! Guru Nanak Dev ji nails it! If you notice that is not a direct answer. And therein lies it's beauty. 0:) By indirectly answering it, he answers the next question that would have been asked if he gave the direct answer. The direct answer is "Hari is everywhere". But that still leaves us with a question of "Well how do you see Him?" Guru Nanak Dev ji answers the last question "You see Him by collapsing the inside-outside duality."
    The act of seeing assumes that there is something inside that sees the all-pervading outside. His answer takes care of this as well. He doesn't even talk about seeing anything, just says "Recognize inside and outside to be one"

He also says earlier ਦੂਜਾ ਮੇਟੈ ਏਕੋ ਹੋਵੈ
    Eliminate duality and become one.

Genius!

Shabad can be spoken or unspoken. I am not sure why you say it's unspoken. Last time it was specifically unspoken but here I think it can be both.

• Like Like x 4
    #4 BhagatSingh, Nov 17, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  6. Ambarsaria

Ambarsaria Canada
    Expand Collapse
    ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
    Writer SPNer Contributor Supporter

Bhagat Singh ji I also noted the following with great pleasure and the wisdom of Guru Nanak Dev ji's so shines as he answers to Charpat,
    What Guru ji does is recognize the enlightened. He noticed recluse, the renunciates, etc., but what he probably found missing was how does it help man on the street. He found practices of manipulation, hoarding of information through the use of Sanskrit, and much more. He busted out of all this for you and me.

He shared his enlightenment and became enlightening. Enlightenment shines ever so bright when person so shares unreservedly what they know and in Guru ji's case it being enlightenment. No shops, no marketing, no control just looking out for the people on the street. All as equal and capable of finding enlightenment.

Sat Sri Akal.

• Like Like x 3
    #5 Ambarsaria, Nov 17, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  7. Luckysingh

Luckysingh Canada
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer

Truly amazing and beautiful summaries by Ambarsariaji and Bhagatji.

The sidh gosht is really like some hidden treasure that many of us sikhs don't notice.
    The more we look deeper into it, the more beautiful and powerful it gets.

I'm sure that someone who is an expert in drama and acting would be in awe if they read the dialogue of Sidh Gosht.

• Like Like x 1