• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Guru Nanak: A 'False' Prophet?

akshay

SPNer
May 13, 2006
england
re: Guru Nanak: A 'False' Prophet ?

jinni you are very stupid as you are a paki. you will not brainwash us or convert us. you are just a stupid paki. reena you are very right in what you are saying muslims cannot convert us sikhs.

Oct 8, 2006

I just read your reply. Panth needs intelectual persons like you, your answers are logical.
But make it sure that respect the every saint, Finatic people misinterpret the saint sayings to prove their religion best, but make it sure that respect the every saint as in "SUKHMANI SAHIB, SANT KA NINDAK..........".

Sep 7, 2006

jinni you are very stupid as you are a paki. you will not brainwash us or convert us. you are just a stupid paki. reena you are very right in what you are saying muslims cannot convert us sikhs.
You will do good to ignore him.

Sep 29, 2006

dear brother and sisters

i wuld like to ask my all muslim brothers can you please tel me if Nanak is not a prophet, tel me when nanak was in your holy mecca what happen there when Nanak was sleeping with his feets towards holy Mecca.

i can give you many such things which people like you cant able to answere. do your homework and give me answer of my above question you MUSLIM AND JINNI...

kaur

SPNer
Jun 18, 2004

Hi,

Without getting into too much debate, we Sikhs have a different paradigm than the Judeo-Christian-Islamist one. Comparing our culture to yours does not follow one-to-one.

Basically, a good analogy would be someone who believes in Zeus and the Greek Pantheon, using that framework to enter into offensive discussion about Zen Shinto philosophy. These are different pardadigms and frameworks.

Regardless, one should maintain respect of diversity of belief. Please do not attack others. Do not use your belief platform (which we respect) as a basis from which to malign others.

I truly find this entire line of reasoning disrespectful, immature, and offensive.

Thankyou

kaur

SPNer
Jun 18, 2004

Hello again,

I wanted to add a little bit more on the differences between our religions, (in a respectful manner). It is a disservice to your religion and ours to confuse terminology.

For clarification, Sikhs do not believe in the (Judeo-Christian-Islamic) framework of angels, demons, the Devil, Heaven, Hell, Satan, Abraham, apocalypse, etc. I believe in tolerance, and as such if someone believes in eternal damnation, stories of Gabriel, or Allah, that is their right and it is something that I respect- a person's right to their own beliefs.

Our spiritual teachers (Gurus) have declared themselves simple men- no different from any other, and definetly not apart of your mythology, or your teachings. Assigning the title of prophet to our Guru is more than a simple incorrect confusion. It detracts from our right to believe in our own framework- which does not include in a belief of prophets and all the rest.

I make a point of this, because the greater issue here is tolerance. By blurring the distinction between our traditions, you commit the greater error of intolerance. Part of our framework and beliefs is tolerance and respect. These are not buzzwords but ways of living that tangibly enrich lives; I would never want to stray far from them.

Thankyou

Sep 4, 2005
Punjab, India

It is a basic right of humanity to think differently. And it is also basic to Sikhism.
Our Gurus taught us to respect others' belief and taught us to be prepared to sacrifice yourself for this.

Aug 8, 2006

see whose so ever who has done this comparison has not seen both of them & saying anything would be like having a fantasy or he is having illusions & he not in good mental health .

Jul 10, 2006

From http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/general-philosophy/14610-answers-to-muslim-questions.html

The website Welcome to Sikhs2Islam has posted a list of questions to Sikhs about so-called “flaws” in the Sikh religion. For believing Sikhs this is of course an absurdity as Sri Guru Granth Sahib jee, the word of God, tells us:

“There is only one true Dharma (faith). Gurmat (Sikhism) is complete and perfect through the ages.”
(Ang 1188)

Through this attempt to answer the questions posed, we will show that Gurmat is indeed the perfect and eternal faith. The website has the motto “you can’t hide from the truth forever.” Indeed, the truth is that Gurmat is the only complete path and this truth is one that cannot be denied.

1. Is Guru Nanak a False Prophet?

In the list of questions the writer makes the assertion,
“According to Sikh Scriptures (more of which later), he had “millions” of followers.”
Which Sikh Scriptures claims that he had millions of followers? The absolute absurdity of this article is that the writer is completely unfamiliar with basic Sikh tenets and principles. Sikh scripture is limited to the following: Sri Guru Granth Sahib jee, sacred writings and literature written by Guru Gobind Singh jee, Works of Bhai Gurdas and the works of Bhai Nand Lal Singh. Beyond this are non-scriptural texts that are useful for historical study but not permitted to be sung as scripture in the Gurdwara. These non-scriptural sources are only accepted so far as they coincide with Gurbani. These texts include Rehitnamas, Tankhanama, Janamsakhis, and historical texts like Gurbilas, Panth Parkash, Suraj Parkash, etc.

I think the issue here lies with the question of “prophethood”. Guru Nanak Sahib jee was a Satguru. This is MUCH more than a simple prophet. A prophet by default is one who has the ability to reveal prophecies. According to Muslims, Muhammed had the Koran revealed to him through the angel Gabriel. Satguru receives revelations directly from God. Satguru Nanak Sahib jee was called to God’s court and ordered to reveal the divine Naam to the world. It is written clearly in Sri Guru Granth Sahib:
“Vaheguru gave me His Hukam (Order) to sing His Praises day and night. Vaheguru, my Lord and Master summoned me, His minstrel, to the True Mansion of His Presence. (Vaheguru,) the Image of True Praise and Glory, gave me the Siropaao, robe of honour. The spiritual-life giving Name, Amrit Naam, the True Name, which gives eternal spiritual life, has become my food [sustenance].”
(Ang 150)

As Satguru, Guru Nanak spoke DIRECT revelations from God and did not use any middle-party like Muhammed. Guru Nanak makes this clear when he says:

"O Lalo! As the Lord’s word comes to me so I deliver it."
(Ang 722)

There are numerous references like this in Sri Guru Granth Sahib jee. Another example is:

"I myself know not what to say; all I speak is what the Lord commands."
(Ang 763)

You have supplied a quote attributed to Guru Nanak Sahib jee “There is no Muslim, there is no Hindu.” This is not found ANYWHERE in Sikh scripture. The closest that can be found is “Neither am I Hindu nor Muslim” (Ang 1136).

The article further says,
When a person claims Prophethood, this claim must then be verified. Prophets throughout history have brought miracles to demonstrate to their people (Moses, Abraham, David, and Others, may peace be upon them all). For example Moses spilt the Red Sea, David was able to melt metal in his hands, and Abraham was able to withstand fire. These miracles have been verified both through scriptures and through science.
I would be interested in knowing how these so-called miracles were verified through science? Were there scientific studies carried out on the veracity of these miracles when they were carried out? Spiritual powers, otherwise known as “ridhi sidhis” are very common in the Indic tradition. Anyone who meditates does gain certain power. The Sikh Gurus however told the Sikhs to shun their use. Miracles that take place by the will of God and by his order are however accepted.

“That alone is spirituality, and that alone is miraculous power, which the Lord spontaneously bestows.”
(Ang 633)

There have been countless such miracles attributed to the Sikh Gurus and their proof exists even today in local legend and physical evidence. In Hasan Abdal, Pakistan there exists to this day a massive boulder with the palm print of Guru Nanak Sahib jee. This boulder was rolled down on him by Wali Kandhari and was stopped with one hand. A spring of water also created by Guru Nanak Sahib jee still flows there today. Countless similar miracles attributed to the Gurus are recorded and their evidence still exists all across South Asia.

Even in Sri Guru Granth Sahib jee, the coming of Babar (the Mughal invader) and the eventual defeat of the Mughals is prophesied by Guru Nanak Sahib jee and proven to have been absolutely correct.

“Coming in seventy-eight (1521 C.E.), they will depart in ninety-seven (1540 C.E.), and then another brave man will rise up. Nanak speaks the Word of Truth; he proclaims the Truth at this for it is now the time for truth ||2||3||5||”
(Ang 723)

The fact is however Sikhism rejects just miracles as proof of divinity or “prophethood”. Miracles are a cheap way of winning support from people. The true miracle is changing the self-centered mind to become God-centered and invoking the love of God in people. Guru Nanak Sahib jee made murderers, cannibals, thugs, and bandits become Godly through piercing their hearts with love and the power of Naam and Baani. Even magicians or tricksters can perform so-called miracles (e.g. David Blain).

Ambi

SPNer
Jan 21, 2007

firstly can i say, well done with the reply babbarshehr and secondly i'd like to say to the muslim partaker that what is the need to start undermining other peoples teachers/prophets, whatever you are all disputing?? isnt Islam about peace and respect of all religions? our Guru's taught us to respect those around us, who may not share the same religion as our brothers and sisters, as inevitably we all believe in the same 1 GOD. Our Guru ji and your prophets illustrated the way forward through peaceful means and co-operation. what is the need to stir up racial hate on a site which is promoting one-ness? come on, whoever you are, please have a sense of maturity and in fact respect your own religions teachings along with our own.

if i say anything out of place, its because i don't see the need for racial tension, when theres enough happening in the world which are much bigger than the tension between two similar religions preaching one-ness and helping lead the way to spiritual enlightenment!!!

dpcpress

DrDLN
SPNer
Jul 23, 2004
Re: Guru Nanak was a 'false' Prophet ??

One who understands Nanak' Message, will be free from hell of blind faith and false illusion. Will see only truth; and Will arise above bashing other religions and religious wars will be history. There is no prophet. There is only God and one God for everyone. Ek Onkar.

Jan 22, 2007

Interesting school of thought. The basic terms used to describe Nanak Ji is Guru, which means Teacher / Guider. Guru Nanak never professed to be a prophet and in all his teachings his message is to join with the almighty. He is but an instrument / teacher.

The concept of Khalsa and Sikhism as prescribed and formd by Guru Gobind Sing Ji is a later evoltion or form of a religion now called sikhism.

I guess the debate is floored, as the basic terms used to describe Nanak i.e. Guru make not atribution to Phropet.

nimana17

SPNer
Jan 21, 2007

Akal sahai
I have read all these coments regarding Sri Guru Nanak Sahib jee. I Have few points to discuss
1) That its true that Guru Jee Is not a prophet
2) That He is not a Vishnu avtar .(as neutral said)
3)He came here to directly connect people with God , with help of pimps (,like Pundits and molvies,mullahs)
4. Prophet is a incomplete, But not Nanak,
Quran says there are only 7 heavens , but Gur Nanak showed a Molvy's son in bagadad that there is no limit, Lakh Aakasan aakas,Lakh Paatalan Pataal.
So my humble request to every body is that please do mix Guru Nanak with Hindu or muslims , coz Sikhs are a seperate Qoum.
Thanx , love and respect all the Religions and races , everybody is equal.

Last edited:
May 30, 2007

:advocate:Hazaarat Mohamad was an incomplete man with incomplete knowledge of god n his creation n no knowledge of future events.He couldn't tell truth of this universe that there exists millions of earths like ours to his muslim followers.So Nanak made muslims realise this by personally going to mecca n then taking son of a phir with him to roam the universe n made him see the truth by himself that millions such earths exists in this universe that mohamaad failed to tell.This incident shows that Mohamad was incomplete in knowledge n guidance to his people n so there r so many problems among muslims-shia n sunni n his teachings caused hatred among people of other religion n poor tolerance towards people from other religions as till today.
Mohamaad is no compare to Guru Nank Dev Ji who gave complete knowledge of God n this Universe as a whole.So Nanak Is complete Prophet n not Mahamaad.Mohamaad teachings caused ambiguities among his own people n spread hatred with other communities as their history is clear evidence of it.They came to India n forcibly converted people to muslims which is the result of incomplete n improper guidance by mohamaad.

After all this I would not even say that Mohamaad was not a prophet at all.He was a simple man who gained some divine knowledge from some sufi saints n turned himself into prophet n treated himself as prophet in people's eyes n mislead people on wrong path.Even today muslims have poor tolerance n they strongly believe in conversion to their religion n they consider that their religion is superior of all others n Ego haunts them days n nights.They think that they r clean by doing roojas n offering five times namaj.Very wrong.Nothing works till one works on self improvement n conquerering his own mind n turns himself the lowest with no ego.Example Sheik Farid ji who truely met God by self surrendering n leaving all his ego n treated everyone same.this is true muslim teachings.So Mohamaad was not a prophet at all in true sense.

Guru Nanak Dev Ji met the god n obtained divine knowledge n started spreading the message of brotherhood n spread truth of god n his divinity.So Guru Nanak Dev Ji is the only true Guru n True prophet of the past n today n of future.
Not Mahamaad with incomplete knowledge who didn't knew that more Prophets will come in future.So this clearly shows that he was a simple man n not a prophet becoz if he were a prophet he would have known the truth. :cool:
SAT SHRI AKAL.

Khalsa1699

SPNer
Apr 8, 2007

I give you text from few NON-SIKH sources about the Sikhs so that so called Muslims on this Forum don’t accuse of text from Sikh Sources being exaggerated
  • Banda’s heroic stand won admiration from his enemies as well, the contemporary historian Kamwar Khan wrote: “It is known to everyone that the late Emperor Bahadur Shah, with 4 royal princes and numerous generals, had made efforts to repress this rebellion, but it was all fruitless. It was by the grace of God and not by wisdom or bravery that this came to happen that Banda and a few thousand of his companions have been starved into surrender(Mohammed Hadi Kamwar Khan, Tazkira-us-Salatin Chugjtiya, Page 179)
  • The English Adventurer George Thomas states in his memoirs: “Instances indeed have not infrequently occurred, in which Sikh women have actually taken up arms to defend their habitations from the desultory attacks of the enemy, and throughout the contest behaved themselves with an intrepidity of spirit, highly praiseworthy.” (Page 75)
  • A Punjabi doggerel expresses Sikh sentiment at the time
Mir Mannu is our sickle,
We the fodder for him to mow,
The more he reaps, the more we grow. (Aliuddin, Ibrat Nama, iii a)
  • “Although the Sikhs made their Afghan prisoners clean the Harimandir and retaliated by slaying hogs in mosques, they did not massacre any captives, as the Afghans had done. “The Sikhs”, writes Forster, “set a bound to the impulse of revenge, and though the Afghan massacre and persecution must have been deeply imprinted on their minds, they did not destroy one prisoner in cold blood”. (Ibid. P 279)
  • Nur Mohammad is full of vile abuse of the Sikhs BUT EVEN HE IS CONSTRAINED TO PAY THEM TRIBUTE AS MEN OF CHARACTER. “In no case would they slay a coward, nor would they put an obstacle in the way of a fugitive. They do not plunder the wealth and ornaments of a woman, be she a well-to-do lady or a maid-servant. There is no adultery among these, nor are these mischievous people given to thieving. Whether a woman is young or old, they call her buriya (An old lady) and ask her to get out of the way. There is no thief at all among these, nor is there any house-breaker born among these miscreants. They do not make friends with adulterers and house-breakers. (Jang Name, Page 156-159)
Now it is evident for any wise and educated person that how could followers of such a faith which infused in them a high spirit, impeccable character of the time, right of self defence, no adultery, no house breaking, god loving, respect human rights can be followers of ‘False Prophet’.

And at the same time, it is evident that what should be to say about the so called ‘True Prophets’ of such a religion whose followers have nothing in them but cruelty, no respect of human rights, kill people in cold blood and had always done so since the recorded history, have character of lowest being, no respect for females, have nothing but blind ego.

WE ARE LUCKY TO HAVE FATHER LIKE GURU GOBIND SINGH TO INFUSE IN US SUCH A SPIRIT TO FIGHT AGAINST SUCH TYRANTS TO PROTECT OURSELEVS AGAINST THE FORCEFUL CONVERSION INTO SUCH A FALSE, DOUBLE STANDARD RELIGION WHERE WE FIND FOLLOWERS FULL OF LOOSE CHARACTER.

AND THIS SPIRIT MADE SIKHS/KHALSA OVERSCOME 2 HOLCASTS AND YET PREVAIL THEMSELVES. FOLLOWERS OF ‘FALSE PROHET’ CAN’T ACHIEVE WHAT SIKHS/KHALSA HAS ACHIEVED.

LOOK AT THE PATHANS (AFGANISTAN), NOT A BRICK THERE HAS BEEN SURVIVED. THESE ARE THE SAME PATHANS WHO RAN OVER INDIA IN GENERAL AND PUNJAB IN PARTICULAR IN THEIR QUEST TO LOOT MONEY AND FORECFUL CONVERSIONS INTO ISLAM. WHERE DOES AFGANISTAND STAND TODAY?

THEN LOOK AT TURKS (MIDLLE EAST), WHERE THE LOOT HAS GONE AND DESPITE OF HAVING HUGE PILES OF OIL STOCK THERE ARE JUST PUPPETS PALYING IN THE HANDS OF WESTREN COUNTRIES, US IN GENERAL.

THEY ARE INTO SUCH A CONDITION BECAUSE THEY ARE INHERITING THE WORST DEEDS OF THEIR FORE FATHERS.

NOW LOOK AT SIKHS WHO THEY WANTED TO EXTERMINATE ALL TOGETHER AND WANTED NOT EVEN A SINGLE SIKH/KHALSA TO BE LEFT ALIVE, THEY FORM THE 5TH LARGEST RELIGION OF THE WORLD TODAY DESPITE OF 2 HOLOCASTS, ONE OF THE MOST PRESPORORUS RELIGION, HARD WORKING, GOD LOVING, PREVALIED EVEN AT THE WORST OF TIME, ALL OVER THE WORLD. THEY ARE INHERITING THE GOOD DEEDS OF THEIR FOREFATHERS.

ALL THIS CAN HAPPEN ONLY BY THE GRACE OF GOD AND NO PATHAN, TURK OR SO CALLED ISLAMIC FANATIC CAN STOP THOSE PROGRESSING WHO FOLLOWS ‘TRUE RELGION’ FOUNDED BY ‘TRUE PROPHET’ WHO TAUGHT NOTHING BUT ‘TRUTH’.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2007
Calgary

Ok, first off Guru Nanak Dev Ji wasn't a prophet HE WAS SOOOOO MUCH MORE. Guru Nanak Dev ji was much.much,much,much more than a prophet and he started a WHOLE NEW religion so that oviously means that he wasn't just a "reformer" as Jinni siad earlier. Guru Nanak Dev ji taught us how to live properly and join with God. A man who does this is not just a reformer, he's a teacher, a holy teacher. So much more than a prophet. Just because Mohammed was "the last phrophet" doesn't mean that Guru Nanak Dev Ji is a false prophet. I think Guru Nanak Dev Ji was truely the last Prophet. (even though he was so much more than just a prophet.):}{}{}:

clarkejoey

SPNer
Oct 3, 2007
Belize City, Belize

I find these arguments impossible.

How can you discuss one faith from the standpoint of another faith?

From the Christian perspective, the canon was closed in 312AD, so Muhammad has got to be too late.

From the Muslim standpoint, everything we need to know was revealed in the 600's - 700's.

Jews believe they were picked 5,000 years ago, and that's that.

As far as the Hindus are concerned, everybody since the 1500's BC has been gilding the lily.

And Rastafarians think everybody's been believing lies.

It's impossible to have this discussion. It's always going to end up with: "My book says A"; "Well, MY book says B."

As i read the Guru, all these folks are perfectly entitled to believe the way they feel is right, since presumably, they are all reaching for the One Lord.

Clearly, Muhammad is a false prophet to Christians, and Jesus is a false prophet to Jews. But it seems like a trivial argument to me. Instead ask: whose followers are trying to make a better world?

All of us, i hope!

Mar 22, 2006
Re: Guru Nanak was a 'false' Prophet ??

This is a silly intellectual discussion with lots of emotion. Guru Nanak is the only enlightened teacher who has the title Siri Guru! Nanak means - humility, literally "NO-EGO"- Na- Nak.
He nether proclaimed he was a Messiah nor Prophet. He ended his Shabds with humble, serf, slave Nanak. His mind was in eternal contemplation of the NAAM- The Word! He had two friends-Mardana, a Muslim and Bala, an Hindu who recorded his experiences and hymns. All 9 Guru's that followed have the same consiousness of Siri Guru. The 10th has the same humility and devotion. They recognized Isa, Musa, Mohammed, Ram, Krishna, but laid no importance to these saints. The Truth was high, but truthful living was higher. Its not the man but the teaching we should honor. Siri Guru Gobind Singh saw his father give his life to the Mughal (fanatic, dogmatic, ruthless Muslim) emporer (Aurangzeb) for Hindus, not Sikhs,
The Naam is the reason they came. Not prophesies and miracles. The reawakened Dharma and showed mankind how to stop the cylce of birth, death and rebirth.
The Siri Guru Granth Sahib is revered and worshiped as the "Living Guru", not a book like the Torah, Bible and Koran. There is no comparison, period.
All are welcome in the Guru's Darbar (Court) regardless of gender, color, religion. Siri Guru Nanak left of path of living not dogma and emotions.
Nanak Nam, Cherdi Kala, Teri Bani Sarbat Bala!
Through Nanak, May Thy NAME forever increase and the Spirit be exalted and may all prosper by Thy Grace!

Mar 22, 2006

NANAK means: NA (without/NO); NAK (EGO)
NO Ego is Nanak Bedis true identity. He always signs his Banis with "Humble Nanak, Slave Nanak, Servant//Serf Nanak. Guru Nanak is the positive projective mind of Truth

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM