Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Gurmukhi >>> English (literal translation)

Discussion in 'New to Sikhism' started by namjiwankaur, Aug 22, 2012.

1. namjiwankaur

namjiwankaur
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor

Sat Nam

I am wondering if there is a website which has a tool to help me know the literal translation of the Gurmukhi & Romanized transliteration into English for Sri Guru Granth Sahib and/or Nitnem, popular shabads, etc..

A literal word for word translation would help me a lot in learning.

kaurhug

• Like Like x 1
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    At 10, Jamshedpur girl teaches Gurmukhi Sikh Youth Jan 25, 2014
    Learn Punjabi Gurmukhi and Pronouns Language, Arts & Culture Oct 11, 2013
    How Do I Make My Keyboard Type With This Gurmukhi Font? (font by Paul Grosse) Gurbani Download Sep 2, 2013
    Learn Punjabi Gurmukhi script variant called Punjabi script or? Language, Arts & Culture Feb 9, 2013
    Learn Punjabi A Great App For Learning Gurmukhi and Some Basic Vocabulary Language, Arts & Culture Jan 22, 2013

3. Randip Singh

Randip Singh
    Expand Collapse
    SPN Sewadaar
    Historian SPNer Supporter

The sites are no good but the translation by Pritam Singh Chahil is very good.

• Like Like x 1
  4. namjiwankaur

namjiwankaur
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor

Sat Nam

Thank you, Ranadip ji.

I'm also wondering if any concordances exist of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib.

cheerleader

5. Ishna

Ishna
    Expand Collapse
    On hiatus
    Writer SPNer Contributor

Www.srigranth.org has a function where you can click on words to look them up in a dictionary. Not all words are listed though. You have to dig for root words. You might like to invest in a Punjabi language book for some background. If you find a word for word site please share it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. namjiwankaur

namjiwankaur
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor

Sat nam

As always, thank you, Ishna ji.

I found a used copy of the Nikky Gurinder Kaur Singh gender neutral translation online and got it two nights ago. I love it. :thumbsupp:

In fact, I'm about to get offline for the evening and recite it now.

So much has fallen in to place in the past couple weeks. I can't believe its only been two weeks. I feel so blessed that I heeded the calling I felt.

I spoke with a Sikh woman who lives about an hour away from here (the 2 closest gurdwaras are both an hour away which is a huge distance since I don't drive, but at least its doable now and then). Wish there was one close by.

But anyway, the woman and I discussed Sikh vows which is something I am hoping to do. I have also received a Sikh spiritual name and it is another profound event for me. I feel its vibration with me, strengthening me and guiding me.

:tablakudi:

<3

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ishna

Ishna
    Expand Collapse
    On hiatus
    Writer SPNer Contributor

SPNAdmin ji shared this link some time ago on another thread.

http://www.sadhsangat.com/

This is Rawel Singh Ji's blog which apparently started out about comparative religion but has developed into a page-by-page translation of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji with extrapolations. His English translation includes some Gurbani words throughout so you can get an idea on meanings.

Example:

#6 Ishna, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012