• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Gurdwara Power

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
A thread created to discuss the importance of sangat and Gurdwara Sahib in your spiritual and cultural life.

Once someone I know said gurdwara was just a Punjabi social club. It hurt to hear that. What he was missing was the way that gurdwara supports and maintains Sikhi -- in every way. In the diaspora, gurdwara is not a social club, but a small society always struggling to understand how it can help is members make sense of Sikhi in a changing world. Does this happen for forum members on SPN? Please share your stories.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Guru ka Bagh
(remembered each year on August 8)

This is a first installment. Gurdwara Sahib under storm -- it is easy to take life for granted. I am wondering about reactions to this story.

"... There were four Akali Sikhs with their black turbans facing a band of about a dozen policemen, including two English officers. They had walked slowly up to the line of the police just before I had arrived and they were standing silently in front of them at about a yard's distance. They were perfectly still and did not move further forward. Their hands were placed together in prayer and it was clear that they were praying. Then without the slightest provocation on their part, an Englishman lunged forward the head of his lathi (staff) which was bound with brass. He lunged it forward in such a way that his fist which held the staff struck the Akali Sikh, who was praying, just at the collar-bone with great force. It looked the most cowardly blow as I saw it struck...."

Read the rest of the story at this link Guru_ka_Bagh

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
Once someone I know said gurdwara was just a Punjabi social club.( quote)
aad0002 Ji
This kind of statement can be of a person who got frustrated by getting involved in Gurudawara politics that prevails among those who have no respect for the Gurbani. All people go there, do not get involved in any kind of "show off" or" power gaining games", their only purpose is to go there is to sit in the presence of Guru to contemplate on Guru Shabad, very rarely they talk with those who find good time to boast about their possessions or involved in baseless chattering. Going to Gurudawara by keeping in mind one thing" I am going to meet Guru to take guidance," will always help. Hear a shabad, contemplate on it and never acknowledge the commotion that is on. I have witnessed many doing that.

Jaspreet08

SPNer
Feb 1, 2008
Agree with pk70, aad0002, ji. Those who see the gurdawara with their eyes, see it as a social scene. But those who see it from their heart, see Who really is there.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
japreet ji

Thank you for your insight. I am hoping the thread will be about seeing with heart and the soul.

:)

KulwantK

SPNer
Oct 31, 2007
Sat Nam, everyone!
When I first started going to Gurdwara I was joyously struck with the Kirtan. Such wonderful music and song! I have been going ever since, because I find great comfort in Gurdwara; the Kirtan and prayers are very uplifting and inspirational.
When in any Gurdwara, Temple or Church, one will always see those who are there for what we could call social reasons. I like to think that even though that might be their main reason for going, the music, prayers and it being a House of God (even though we may all think about remembering the main House of God is within each of our hearts) will stay with them, even if they are not conscious or aware of it.
Let us all celebrate the occassions we go to Gurdwara, (it can be any time, not just a special occassion) and enjoy the wonderful gifts we have been given!
Thank you for starting this thread!
Wahe Guru,
Cheers, Blessings and Love to all
KulwantK

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
The Gurdwara has been many things for me in my life. A school, a refuge, a place to unburden my problems, a gym, a place I have frequently felt alienated from. A place I have said my last farewell to people on their deaths, a place in which I have seen people join together in marriage. A personal confessional. A place that united people whilst at the same time contained endless factional disputes. A place I have turned to in my most desperate times. Where I turn to when I have something great to celebrate. But when it is empty and there is just me and SGGS, it actually feels like home.

And yes, it was also a social place once. lol

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
amarsanghera ji

Great song -- but you have to explain what made you think of uploading it. Help me/some of us out with some context. ::cool:2: I am not smart enough to figure it out on my own. The song is in Hindi, am I correct?

Maybe you are saying some people just go to gurdwara to eat Indian food and celebrate weddings?
Just my little joke. :rofl: Thanx! I have Punjabi friends who can explain this if you are busy.

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
its a Kafi by Bulleh Shah

nutshell message is:

When i recognized and accepted my true calling - Love for One, i gave up going to Mandir or Masjid.

you say light lives in the holy places, my beloved lives within my doghouse- my body.

why i put it there...??? hope that explained...this is a rather long one....i am sorry can't translate the whole.

Gurudwaras today serve a basic purpose, bring us to the "door", but whe the journey starts, we are on our own.

So choose to knock and enter, some choose to sit there and compare notes. :)

i still enjoy going to Gurudwara for the kirtan & yummy Kheer in langar ;)

My mind shuts off during the Secretary sahib's speech :)

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
amarsanghera ji

I think you and I are on the same page. How do you enjoy the presentation of the strategic planning committee?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
amarsanghera ji

I think you and I are on the same page. How do you enjoy the presentation of the strategic planning committee?

On the women's side of the gurdwara there was so much side conversation, I could not hear what was going on anyway. Just every now and then one of the presenters would get very excited. The power point presentations however were extremely well organized and very clear.

:up:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM