• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Gurbani Venerable, Sikh Vulnerable

Oct 15, 2006

Gurbani venerable but Sikh vulnerable

Prof. Inder Singh Ghagga
(Translated from Punjabi by Akashdeep Singh Aulakh)

Once a meeting of Sikh leaders for the upliftment of the Sikh sect (panth) was turning into a pandemonium – one person’s suggestion was to open hospitals, one others suggestion was to open schools, some others suggestion was to perform religious processions (Nagar Keertans) in cities and one person raised religious slogan(jaikara)and suggested to initiate movement against the government. One leader suggested that we cannot survive without Khalistaan. One suggestion was that for the prosperity of the Sikh sect (panth) we should organize non-stop recitation of scriptures (akhand paths) in all the gurudwara’s. In their efforts for the upliftment of the Sikh panth, all the Sikh religious leaders (jathedars)were sweating and were breathing heavy. Managing his big belly with difficulty, one district level leader (jathedar stood up in sad mood on the condition of Sikh panth, he spoke in the style of passing-down Gods order (elahi farmaan) – “My brothers! I was getting disgusted listening to these undetermined thoughts from some time. You people cannot save the ship of Sikh sect (panth) from drowning. For the solution of this problem I have the experience from life, love of Gurus and feelings for the sect (panth). I have already heard numerous plans from you people, now listen to what I say and take that into effect – without wasting a minute raise all the nishan sahabs (high pole in Sikh temple which has the Sikh religious symbol on the top) in all the gurudwara’s by 10 feet each. When nishaan sahab will rise, so will be the Khalsa sect (panth)”, the leader (jathedar) was standing wearing a victorious pride.

Everywhere people are raising this hue and cry – “Save the sect (panth), stop Sikhs from trimming their hair, save them from drugs, get rid of Brahminical rituals ......” None of the committees (SGPC or DGPC) is willing to properly understand their responsibility and come up with a long term plan. Some leaders of such committees throw a ready made answer at you in an excellent style, -“The holy Gurbani has been brought from sachkhand by Baba Nanak ji. It has the thoughts of the universe, who can understand these? Who does have the capability to extract the meanings from these? Gurbani is just for singing and enjoying”. Can I ask these people why did Guru Nanak Dev ji wrote Gurbani on the Earth? If it is something from the Sachkhand then he would have kept it there and would not have brought it here on the earth. Gurbani has been written in those dialects which were common among the masses on the earth. This Gurbani has the mentions of earthly things like temples, mosques, rivers (ganga jyoo Godavari jayiye, kumbhi jayoo kedaar nahayiye. Gomati saras gayoo daan keeje p973”), animals, birds, seasons, rain and even food grains. One finds sufficient mentions of yogis, Jains, Budhists, Hindus, Muslims; and their deities. Air, water, soil, ocean, moon, sun (which are visible from the earth), stars etc. are referred to numerous times. If this bani (words from Gurus) is not for human beings, then what would have been the need for writing it? If no one can understand Gurbani then how one will decide what is guru’s will (Gurmat) and what is manmat. The people who are spreading this kind of propaganda are drowning the wonderful Khalsa sect (panth) into the sour ocean of Brahminism. Some priests, who are incapable of understanding the central meanings of Gurbani themselves being illiterate, hide their ignorance by saying, “Gentlemen, who can understand Gurbani? Only the Guru knows words of the Guru, how can we match him?”

This is just one point of view, the other point of view is that all our missionaries, the people who speak in the religious forums and gatherings, Sikh leaders, poets, “raagis”, “dhadis” etc. can be heard saying these few words often, “These are gods own words, this bani is celestial, it is the celestial words that have come out from the mouth/heart of Guru Sahib. The everlasting Guru Granth Sahib ji, is the spiritual light of the 10 Gurus, it’s the “Word Guru”, the owner of the 4 Takhats. The order of God that has emanated from it.....................” Dear readers, you must have heard this kind of propaganda various times on the Sikh religious stages. People are adding as much adjectives as possible to the name to Guru Granth Sahib. Now just hold on for a second and think with deep compassion – are the teachings of Guru Granth Shahib being truly accepted and absorbed by us tantamount to the praise that is being done by using such long list of adjectives? According to Sikh faith the whole Guru Granth Sahib itself is order of the Gurus, then why the hukamnama (order) of one word. Well, if just one word is hukamnama (order) then can this order be defied? Kids who do not obey their parents will they receive any love in their homes? Try to defy the orders given by the courts of law and see what happens, you will be behind the bars in no time. Orders are given by elders and in those orders the benefits of the younger are hidden. The members of the house who do not obey the orders of the elders and do their free will, they are will certainly face disaster and it will be difficult to save them from it.

In Sikh events the Sikh leaders have been pretending excellently from some time. Pretension is a false thing containing no truth. One might be able to pretend and succeed in this material world, but pretension even for the True Guru? Can we call this obeying the Gurus? When that Supreme power issues an order, no strength in this world can stop it. The oceans can create tsunamis and destroy the land. When calamities like earthquakes, floods, storms etc. cause havoc, nobody can stop them. When the weather is pleasant and productive prosperity can be seen all around. We gave a lot of big adjectives to the Guru Granth Sahib but its order is scarcely followed in reality these days. Putting aside these pretentious stage lectures and false acts please dive into the truth and see – are the present Sikh lives following the orders of Guru Granth Sahib’s hukamnama (order)? When the people who like to be called Sikhs are not ready to live their lives according to the orders of Guru Granth Sahib, then what can one expect other than disaster and disgrace? There are approximately 2 lakh gurudwaras in this world. In all these gurudwaras the hukamnamas are read every day many times from the true Gurbani; it is written on the board so that everybody can read it. I am writing with deep sadness that these hukamnamas are read just like rituals, there is no effort to actually understand them, there is no arrangement made to explain the meanings of these hukamnamas to the public. The who spend their whole life singing the hymns from Gurbani and have by-hearted it, they themselves do not understand the meaning of the hymns that they are singing- what is the message that the true guru is giving. The pathis (professional scripture readers) grow old reciting the hymns all their life like a machine-what they are reading? what is the message of the pure bani? – they do not know. People like those with baaje and chimtey, those wearing long kurtas, those who like to be called “Shriman1008, Sant, Brahm Giani” are remaining away from the “true order” (Gurbani) and are going by leaps and bounds to tell innocent people their own imaginative useless stories. The innocent public is accepting this imaginative junk in the vessels of their brains with immense faith. In turn people are gifting these imposters with huge gifts in the form of money and other things. People are even putting their heads to the feet of these imposters and are praying them like god, these imposters are the people who are breaking the people away from Gurbani and are just interested to join them to their camps (deras).

In the presence of the main head of the Akal Takhat, one such imposter saintonce kept misusing Gurbani and insulting Guru Granth Sahib in the face of the people. The head of the Akal Takhat and audience were helplessly listening to the shouts of this imposter saint with their eyes down just like if they were listening to the orders of God. Before coming to the stage, this imposter saint was told by the Sikhs, “Reverend! Please talk only from Gurbani on the stage and not any other imaginative stories” The saint frowned, got angry, eyes gone red, filled with anger from inside he replied faking, “That’s right!” and shook his head with consent. Right after that what the saint spoke loudly from the stage, and every body was listening including jathedar (head of Akal Takhat) Joginder Singh Vedanti, was like this, “I have been told to speak “pakki bani” (words that have reference in Gurbani ) only and I asked not to speak “kachchi bani” ( words that do not have references). That means whatever is written in the Guru Granth Sahib is only right, other is baseless. You will faint listening to my words, now listen – There is no mention of the 4 sahibjades (Guru Gobind Singh ji’s 4 sons) in Guru Granth Sahib, so your 4 sahibjades are fake! Chant waheguru! There is no mention of Panj Pyare (5 beloved ones) in Guru Granth, your Panj Pyare (5 beloved ones) are fake! Chant Waheguru! The name of 4 gurus is not present in Guru Granth Sahib, means that your 4 gurus are fake! Chant Waheguru! There is no mention of martyrs and saints and “Khande ki pahul” means all these are also fake! Chant Waheguru!........... For about an hour this so called saint kept slandering gurbani and nobody dared to stop him. Even the head of the Takhat (which was established by our 6th Guru) kept listening to these words of that saint like he was listening to some “Amrit Vachan” (pure and true words). The audience kept chanting waheguru. The management kept their eyes down and kept staring the box where the public was putting their dollars faithfully in the form of donations. Just a few sewaks were unhappy but helpless. The saint spoke his world and leisurely walked to the home of one of his followers.

There were times when Sikhs gave away their lives living life according to the instructions in Gurbani, obeying the words of the Gurus and protecting the truths of Gurbani. There were times when even the enemies of Sikhs spoke about the valor and character of the Sikhs with respect. There were times when the brave Sikhs used to give away their own happiness and leisure for the benefit of others. There was also time when “pooja de dhan” (guru nmit mayeya de padarath) were considered to be equivalent to poison. Today we Sikhs (except a few) have fallen down to such level of characterless- ness that one feels deeply ashamed talking about it.

Our true gurus order is:-
ਧ੍ਰਿਗੁ ਤਿਨਾ ਕਾ ਜੀਵਿਆ ਜਿ ਲਿਖਿ ਲਿਖਿ ਵੇਚਹਿ ਨਾਉ
Dharig tinaa kaa jeevi-aa je likh likh vaycheh naa-o.

ਖੇਤੀ ਜਿਨ ਕੀ ਉਜੜੈ ਖਲਵਾੜੇ ਕਿਆ ਥਾਉ
khaytee jin kee ujrhai khalvaarhay ki-aa thaa-o.

Which in English means:-
"Shameful/wasted are the lives of those who read and write the Lord's Name to sell it.
Their crop is devastated - what harvest will they have?
"

Please do not consider that the issue here is limited to charm-bands, mantras and the recitation of scriptures done by getting a paid professional. But lust, giving away the ethics of faith in ones own selfishness, giving away honesty and conscience, keeping your own interests on top when dealing with religious, social and political matters, making the gurudwaras and other such places as a means to exercise your own rule, not following the Gurbani but using it for amassing wealth are also included. The above written lines are for all these people. One Urdu poet has very well mentioned about this as: -

Khudayeya hawas ke bande wafa ko bech dete hai |
Khuda ke ghar ki kya kahiye yeh khuda ko bech dete hai |

Meaning in English: -

The greedy people sell the quality of faithfulness away.
What to talk about the places of worship, they even sell God away.

Today common Sikh has become minor issue; even the leaders of the panth can be seen selling themselves for pennies. The Sikh faith seems to have vanished from the houses and hearts of the jathedars (leaders of the Takhats). The fake saints are engulfing the innocent people in superstitions and myths and are plundering them with both hands. These so called “Brahmcharis” and “tyagis” have built luxurious houses; have accumulated properties worth millions and billions. The common Sikh is still looking ignorant of the teachings of Gurbani. The common public is wasting away their hard earned money on these fake saints and political leaders. People are thinking that gifting money in such way the problems of their life will go away.

Are these issues not enough to drown the ship of our faith? I hope we act as sailors and assist in moving this ship forward instead of watching it drowning.

Reference: -

GURBANI MHAAN SIKH NADAAN

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Barbaad-e-gulistaan karne ko, ek hi ulloo kafi thaa
Har shaakh pe ulloo baitha hai, Anjaam-e-gulistaan kya hoga?"

Sat Shri Akaal,
-Akashdeep

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2006
thanx Akashdeep bhaji for beign medium of such great thinking....I believe criticism of some practices & some selfishness in our religion is need of an hour.,what we all are doing here is no mere discussion.It is thinking ,independent thinking.One grear soul has written"The thing which cannot bear free thought ,Let it be CRACk" .These rationalism is just like our independence from the poor belief & our wrong ways to accept GOD.... WE are too lethargic to pray to GOD in efficeint manner that ,we think lets go to some saint & with his preyers he will ask GOD to fulfill our wishes. But here now,we can distinguish & understand the meaning of Imposter & Saint in its real pragmatic aspect. believe we are the persons(mass) who make imposters & none else & Here lies the real Fact how we make imposters.
Thats Why i belive these discussions are no mere discussions & just like revolt ,with our belief & within ourselves.

"With changing Time the reason & way of revolution also changes"

Sat Shri AKal

Oct 15, 2006
....I believe criticism of some practices & some selfishness in our religion is need of an hour.,what we all are doing here is no mere discussion.It is thinking ,independent thinking.One grear soul has written"The thing which cannot bear free thought ,Let it be CRACk" .These rationalism is just like our independence from the poor belief & our wrong ways to accept GOD.... WE are too lethargic to pray to GOD in efficeint manner that ,we think lets go to some saint & with his preyers he will ask GOD to fulfill our wishes. But here now,we can distinguish & understand the meaning of Imposter & Saint in its real pragmatic aspect. believe we are the persons(mass) who make imposters & none else & Here lies the real Fact how we make imposters.
Thats Why i belive these discussions are no mere discussions & just like revolt ,with our belief & within ourselves.

"With changing Time the reason & way of revolution also changes"

Sat Shri AKal

Great thought my friend,

...and let me add that the great weapons of modern world revolution are communication, logical reasoning and knowledge. Gurbani is replete with logical reasoning and knowledge, lets gain it and lets fight the ignorance with these weapons.

Sat Shri Akaal,
-Akashdeep

adeep646

SPNer
Nov 15, 2006
Sachkand
Guru GObind SINGH ji Said RAJ KAREGA KHALSA. :
our body is made from the 5 TATS; air water fire gagan akash. these elements are pure because god made them "Panch tat Suno Parkasa"
IN THE GURU GRANTH SAHIB JI our MANN is called MANN RAJA and this body is called DESH(country), KHETH(farm), KiLLA, GHARR, PIND (village), KAiya; these names are used to describe this body our MANN is in. by doing simran and purifying the MANN, with WAHEGURUS GRACE can MANN become Khals. when it becomes KHALS; then we will rule over this body. GURU GOBIND SINGH ji along with the other GURUS were given SATGUR DI KITAB so if they wanted to rule over this land they would have but that is not there message.
for information on how to become KHALSA goto
PRAB MILNE KA CHAO link below here
PRABHMILNEKACHAO.COM

if you have any questions email me at adeep646@yahoo.com

sikh78910

SPNer
Oct 10, 2006

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant. I would love to meet this so called saint n tell him what i think of him. he thinks guru gobind singh jis children did not exist, that because hed convert to islam before hed give his life for sikhi, the lowly coward.

There were times when Sikhs gave away their lives living life according to the instructions in Gurbani, obeying the words of the Gurus and protecting the truths of Gurbani. There were times when even the enemies of Sikhs spoke about the valor and character of the Sikhs with respect. There were times when the brave Sikhs used to give away their own happiness and leisure for the benefit of others. There was also time when “pooja de dhan” (guru nmit mayeya de padarath) were considered to be equivalent to poison. Today we Sikhs (except a few) have fallen down to such level of characterless- ness that one feels deeply ashamed talking about it.

These are sad times my friend, very sad times........but lets pray for humanity eh, kaljugs taken over and there are no gurus in the flesh, seems like people are having a hard time acccepting GGSJ as our guru as they dont seem to be following its teachings as sikhs did in the time of our other gurus. lets hope people wake up and realise that they are one and the same and that everything needed to save humanity lies in our GGSJ including the holy jot and spirits of the other ten gurus. as Guru Gobind Singh Ji once said, "Wherever there is khalsa, I will be there."

God bless mankind

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.

Oct 15, 2006
Brilliant, absolutely brilliant. I would love to meet this so called saint n tell him what i think of him. he thinks guru gobind singh jis children did not exist, that because hed convert to islam before hed give his life for sikhi, the lowly coward.

Khalsa Ji,

Yours truly did not understand this comment from you. Can you please elaborate?

Sat Shri Akaal,
-Akashdeep

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM