• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Gurbani Contemplation - Selok Bhagat Kabir Ji

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
rosary and various such "aids" are roundly and soundly condemned in Gurbani...simply because these are USED (MISUSED) as SYMBOLS of HOLYNESS !! outward holiness..show offs...and may thus evetually lead one OFF the Path which one may have gotten on.

SECONDLY and more importantly..Rosaries Maalas are used to COUNT...and Ginntee minntees COUNTINGS and NUMBERS are ROUNDLY and SOUNDLY CONDEMNED in GURBANI....Akal Purakh is NOT "impressed" by counts..numbers..millions zilliosn of paaths,..etc etc...HE LOVES LOVE !!!

so DOUBLE WHAMMY FOLKS...if you still want a rosarie maala..go ahead....BUT dont HANG YOURSELF with one !!!:happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy:

Jun 2, 2007
India
ਕਬੀਰ ਬਿਰਹੁ ਭੁਯੰਗਮੁ ਮਨਿ ਬਸੈ ਮੰਤੁ ਮਾਨੈ ਕੋਇ
कबीर बिरहु भुयंगमु मनि बसै मंतु न मानै कोइ ॥
Kabīr birahu bẖuyangam man basai manṯ na mānai ko▫e.
Kabeer, the snake of separation from the Lord abides within my mind; it does not respond to any mantra.

ਰਾਮ ਬਿਓਗੀ ਨਾ ਜੀਐ ਜੀਐ ਬਉਰਾ ਹੋਇ ॥੭੬॥
राम बिओगी ना जीऐ जीऐ त बउरा होइ ॥७६॥
Rām bi▫ogī nā jī▫ai jī▫ai ṯa ba▫urā ho▫e. ||76||
One who is separated from the Lord does not live; if he does live, he goes insane. ||76||

Last edited by a moderator:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
How poetic but straight to the point...the SNAKE..the evil temptress of Adam and EVE..resides in the TREE OF KNOWLEDGE..the MIND....MANMATT....and only RESPONDS by LEAVING..if replaced by GURMATT..the original sense of MATHA TEK...Give ones "HEAD" (panj Piayars)..sir dhar tali gali meri aoo..Kabir Ji.
IF we allow the Sanke of SEPARATION..to control our seat of Knowledge...then we go into Chatrriyaan..tricks..ginntee minntees mantars jantars..to "please God"...and its all FUTILE..becasue Waheguru is NOT IMPRESSED by these trickery...as He KNOWS ALL !!

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Gyani Ji, Gintee Mintee of course is not the end but a means to disciplining the mind. For eg I have used rosary to count the number of times we say Waheguru not to impress God but to serve as a self imposed penance for not doing Parkash/Paath and Smaptee. The day I get up late, the rosary takes a toll on me. Just disciplining my lazy self.

The penance works in the following way - 1000 times Waheguru for each of the following:-

Getting up late.
Not doing Parkash.
Not doing 10 pages from Beedh.
Not doing Smapti
Saying bad, slander about someone.
Trying to "phasaa ladkee" - by using my male charms/looks.

If I did all of the above, saying Waheguru 6000 times is "killer hard", so the alternative route is simpler.

Jun 2, 2007
India
ਕਬੀਰ ਪਾਰਸ ਚੰਦਨੈ ਤਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹ ਹੈ ਏਕ ਸੁਗੰਧ
कबीर पारस चंदनै तिन्ह है एक सुगंध ॥
Kabīr pāras cẖanḏnai ṯinĥ hai ek suganḏẖ.
Kabeer, the philosopher's stone and sandalwood oil have the same good quality.

ਤਿਹ ਮਿਲਿ ਤੇਊ ਊਤਮ ਭਏ ਲੋਹ ਕਾਠ ਨਿਰਗੰਧ ॥੭੭॥
तिह मिलि तेऊ ऊतम भए लोह काठ निरगंध ॥७७॥
Ŧih mil ṯe▫ū ūṯam bẖa▫e loh kāṯẖ nirganḏẖ. ||77||
Whatever comes into contact with them is uplifted. Iron is transformed into gold, and ordinary wood becomes fragrant. ||77||

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Gyani Ji, Gintee Mintee of course is not the end but a means to disciplining the mind. For eg I have used rosary to count the number of times we say Waheguru not to impress God but to serve as a self imposed penance for not doing Parkash/Paath and Smaptee. The day I get up late, the rosary takes a toll on me. Just disciplining my lazy self.

The penance works in the following way - 1000 times Waheguru for each of the following:-

Getting up late.
Not doing Parkash.
Not doing 10 pages from Beedh.
Not doing Smapti
Saying bad, slander about someone.
Trying to "phasaa ladkee" - by using my male charms/looks.

If I did all of the above, saying Waheguru 6000 times is "killer hard", so the alternative route is simpler.

Guru Paiayirio jio, Naam japp ji,
Gurfateh.

I will give you Passing Marks for that.

Actually Guru Ji is also singling out the "OBVIOUSLY FAKE SHOW OFF SYMBOLS"..Gall maala, tilk on forehead, the double strength unstitched dhotee ,
**(btw the UNSTITCHED thingy has religious isgnificance in Islam as well - on Haj the pilgrims MUST wear UNSTITCHED CHADARS..no other clothes allowed at all...AND JUST to DISPELL ALL DOUBTS ABOUT this "unstiched nonsense" the Khalsa Kachhera has HUNDREDS of Stitches...the Paonche MUST be strengthnend by stitching many many times over and over again...thus a Khalsa kachera contaisn hundreds of stitches !!).**.
Read any Gurbani shabad and this is the Message.

2. THAT is WHY, the KHALSA SYMBOLS of 5 kakaars are NOT "Fake/show offs of holiness/humility/meant to CHEAT the ONLOOKER into a sense of being in the company of someone who is Super Duper HOLY..the Matt Bhitteh Matt Bitteh TYPE !!" THESE are FOR the PERSONAL CONVICTION of the WEARER...and have absolutley NO BEARING on OTHERS....unlike the Brahmins Tilak, gall maala dhotee and chakars etc around his chullahchaunka. There is a disclaimer here..IF a PERSON beleives that his kakaars DO place upon hsi body the "holiness" that the Brahmin thinks his tilak etc does..THEN..and ONLY THEN do the Kakaars become FAKE and SHOW OFF !! and the Khalsa of that type will also be the "Matt bhitteh Matt bhitteh"type !! and we can see quite a few such types.
THESE types can hardly stand taking even Guru Ji degh from other Khalsas and wouldnt bee seen dead in BHAI LALOS HOUSE sharing HIS BREAD !!..and Guru nanak ji would ahve the same words to say about them too.

THANK you...as always..for sharing Gurbani Wisdom...Keep in Chardeekalla always...

Jun 2, 2007
India
ਕਬੀਰ ਜਮ ਕਾ ਠੇਂਗਾ ਬੁਰਾ ਹੈ ਓਹੁ ਨਹੀ ਸਹਿਆ ਜਾਇ
कबीर जम का ठेंगा बुरा है ओहु नही सहिआ जाइ ॥
Kabīr jam kā ṯẖeʼngā burā hai oh nahī sahi▫ā jā▫e.
Kabeer, Death's club is terrible; it cannot be endured.

ਏਕੁ ਜੁ ਸਾਧੂ ਮਹਿ ਮਿਲਿਓ ਤਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਿ ਲੀਆ ਅੰਚਲਿ ਲਾਇ ॥੭੮॥
एकु जु साधू मोहि मिलिओ तिन्हि लीआ अंचलि लाइ ॥७८॥
Ėk jo sāḏẖū mohi mili▫o ṯiniĥ lī▫ā ancẖal lā▫e. ||78||
I have met with the holy man; he has attached me to the hem of his robe. ||78||

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
ਕਬੀਰ ਜਮ ਕਾ ਠੇਂਗਾ ਬੁਰਾ ਹੈ ਓਹੁ ਨਹੀ ਸਹਿਆ ਜਾਇ
कबीर जम का ठेंगा बुरा है ओहु नही सहिआ जाइ ॥
Kabīr jam kā ṯẖeʼngā burā hai oh nahī sahi▫ā jā▫e.
Kabeer, Death's club is terrible; it cannot be endured.

ਏਕੁ ਜੁ ਸਾਧੂ ਮਹਿ ਮਿਲਿਓ ਤਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਿ ਲੀਆ ਅੰਚਲਿ ਲਾਇ ॥੭੮॥
एकु जु साधू मोहि मिलिओ तिन्हि लीआ अंचलि लाइ ॥७८॥
Ėk jo sāḏẖū mohi mili▫o ṯiniĥ lī▫ā ancẖal lā▫e. ||78||
I have met with the holy man; he has attached me to the hem of his robe. ||78||

EK>>>JO>>>SADHU....is WAHEGURU who is just within us..in our Gireebaan !!
" the holy man"..a vague and meaningless word....no direction whatsoever...GURBANI is clarity personified...SIGNBOARDS that say exactly what they MEAN..and MEAN what they say !! The word EK-JO is the signboard...the Vital ARROW that point in the Right Direction !! Same as in EK-Oangkaar !!

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
EK>>>JO>>>SADHU....is WAHEGURU who is just within us..in our Gireebaan !!
" the holy man"..a vague and meaningless word....no direction whatsoever...GURBANI is clarity personified...SIGNBOARDS that say exactly what they MEAN..and MEAN what they say !! The word EK-JO is the signboard...the Vital ARROW that point in the Right Direction !! Same as in EK-Oangkaar !!

I have met the holy man. He has attached me to the hem of his robe. In other words, don't hang on to where you are not supposed to be. There is something better to hang on to. :yes:

Jun 2, 2007
India
ਕਬੀਰ ਬੈਦੁ ਕਹੈ ਹਉ ਹੀ ਭਲਾ ਦਾਰੂ ਮੇਰੈ ਵਸਿ
कबीर बैदु कहै हउ ही भला दारू मेरै वसि ॥
Kabīr baiḏ kahai ha▫o hī bẖalā ḏārū merai vas.
Kabeer, the physician says that he alone is good, and all the medicine is under his control.

ਇਹ ਤਉ ਬਸਤੁ ਗੁਪਾਲ ਕੀ ਜਬ ਭਾਵੈ ਲੇਇ ਖਸਿ ॥੭੯॥
इह तउ बसतु गुपाल की जब भावै लेइ खसि ॥७९॥
Ih ṯa▫o basaṯ gupāl kī jab bẖāvai le▫e kẖas. ||79||
But these things belong to the Lord; He takes them away whenever He wishes. ||79||

I am not able to grasp the meaning conveyed by Kabir Ji. I shall be thankful if it is explained.
Bhul chuk lai muaafi ji

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Gurvinder ji

First I thank you for taking on the seva of keeping the Contemplation alive. This is where the love of our focus and attention belongs. Everything else is basically the tawdriness of the mind undisciplined. You have been keeping us focused during the absence of NamJap ji. :wah::wah::wah::wah::wah:

This saloka in my opinion points out the fallacy of our thinking. We like the doctor, who thinks he controls medicine and the health of his patients, are lost in our "roles" in the authority and the sense of real power that we only think we have. The doctor, the lawyer, the farmer, the teacher, the journalist -- whatever we are we believe we command that narrow space of authority because of our learning, our experience, our socially acknowledged role. It is all Haumei become institutionalized. And Kabir tells us that we/the physician are nothing, we/the physician only think that we control/fix/heal/command. It is the feebleness of our awareness that misleads and Kabir reminds us that the doer of everything Kartar Purakh is the Only one who Heals, Creates, Supports, Destroys, Commands.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Guur nanak ji Sahib also had an encounter with the Vaid.....when Guru Ji was apparently"lost" to the world his father thought Nanak is sick and called in the vaid. The Vaid came...felt Nanak's pulse...and went about hsi diagnisis..... and Guru Ji told him..Vaid JI..your First duty is to IDENTIFY/ISOLATE/RECOGNISE..the ROG..Pehchhaan the "disease"...only then can you TREAT it..mY "rog" is separation from MY Beloved..and that treatment is beyond your field of expertise..you are healer of PHYSICAL BODY...
THIS SHABAD and many others point us in the DIRECTION that GURBANI is for the MANN way more than the TAN..Body. MANN JEETEH JAG JEET..means that. IF our Mann is HEALTHY and ROBUST and is fed the Spiritual FOOD of the Shaabd Vichaar..it will be healthy....and a Healthy MIND/MANN means a Healthy BODY too..

Jun 2, 2007
India
ਕਬੀਰ ਨਉਬਤਿ ਆਪਨੀ ਦਿਨ ਦਸ ਲੇਹੁ ਬਜਾਇ
कबीर नउबति आपनी दिन दस लेहु बजाइ ॥
Kabīr na▫ubaṯ āpnī ḏin ḏas leho bajā▫e.
Kabeer, take your drum and beat it for ten days.

ਨਦੀ ਨਾਵ ਸੰਜੋਗ ਜਿਉ ਬਹੁਰਿ ਮਿਲਹੈ ਆਇ ॥੮੦॥
नदी नाव संजोग जिउ बहुरि न मिलहै आइ ॥८०॥
Naḏī nāv sanjog ji▫o bahur na milhai ā▫e. ||80||
Life is like people meeting on a boat on a river; they shall not meet again. ||80||

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
gurvinder ji,

Thank you for posting the seloka once again as a seva to us.

The seloka has two verses and they both contain the idea of Oneness, unity, and achieving divine bliss through overcoming duality. I may make my point in a very clumsy way.

The first ilne required some research because I suspected that the image of "drums" had some background to it. What I found is that in the beej of Kabir ji "drums" have a unique meaning. Kabir ji says that drums are heard in the celestial space where we can become lost in the divine play (sometimes he calls it sport) once we have overcome duality. In that celestial space is heard the unstruck muisc, the naad, and the beat of the drum is mixed with the sound of the harp. Each of these instruments requires that a surface be struck for the sound to be heard, then the vibration is caught by the ear. That is how it works in our ordinary world. But these instruments sound as unstruck when duality is over come. Here is an example from the beej,

The unstruck drum of Eternity is sounded within me but my deaf ears cannot hear it
So long as man clamours for the I and the Mine his works are naught
When all the love of the I and Mine is dead the work of the Lord is done

But when we look at the line Kabir says - Beat the drum for 10 days. He is saying beat as much as you like, it will do no good for you if you are lost in attachment. Now another thing about the words of Kabir: He has said that the beat of the drum heard in divine union is beating the rhythm of life and death, as one sound, one unbroken rhythm, as one in complete union with the divine will know that there is no difference between life and death. So beat as much as you like, the rhythm that is true is not the beating of drums in the sports arena, or the cremation grounds. The true rhythm is unbroken and whole.

ਕਬੀਰ ਨਉਬਤਿ ਆਪਨੀ ਦਿਨ ਦਸ ਲੇਹੁ ਬਜਾਇ
कबीर नउबति आपनी दिन दस लेहु बजाइ ॥
Kabīr na▫ubaṯ āpnī ḏin ḏas leho bajā▫e.
Kabeer, take your drum and beat it for ten days.

I have taken a risk emphasizing this idea of the drum that beats the true, pooran, complete sound which is the unbroken rhythm of life and death heard in sehaj, as a celestial sound for this reason. Look at the next line. The same image of an unbroken current is repeated in the image of the river.

The river has a constant current, it flows from the source, unbroken, like the creation itself. Only we, who are stuck in the world of maya, thinking in terms of this and that, me and you, then and now, here and there, have a broken awareness of the river. The boat stops, some get on and others get off. We meet as passengers together for only a time. We do not realize how life is like the river Kabir ji says. The river in its unbroken current carries us onward to our destination. And because we are captives of a sense of time that is broken into coming and going, meeting and departing, we need to be reminded that once we depart we never meet again.

ਨਦੀ ਨਾਵ ਸੰਜੋਗ ਜਿਉ ਬਹੁਰਿ ਮਿਲਹੈ ਆਇ ॥੮੦॥

नदी नाव संजोग जिउ बहुरि न मिलहै आइ ॥८०॥
Naḏī nāv sanjog ji▫o bahur na milhai ā▫e. ||80||
Life is like people meeting on a boat on a river; they shall not meet again. ||80||

Sheik Fareed makes a similar point,

ਸਬਰੁ ਏਹੁ ਸੁਆਉ ਜੇ ਤੂੰ ਬੰਦਾ ਦਿੜੁ ਕਰਹਿ ॥
sabar eaehu suaao jae thoon bandhaa dhirr karehi ||
Let patience be your purpose in life; implant this within your being.

ਵਧਿ ਥੀਵਹਿ ਦਰੀਆਉ ਟੁਟਿ ਨ ਥੀਵਹਿ ਵਾਹੜਾ ॥੧੧੭॥
vadhh thheevehi dhareeaao ttutt n thheevehi vaaharraa ||117||
In this way, you will grow into a great
river; you will not break off into a tiny stream. ||117||

Waiting patiently one will receive the "gift" from the Lord and Master and through patience will become like the river -- complete, whole, unbroken -- in other words one will see the the Truth of the Oneness of Creation and awareness will not be broken into coming and going, life and death, here and hereafter through duality.

Jun 2, 2007
India
"gurvinder ji,

Thank you for posting the seloka once again as a seva to us."

Respected aad002 Ji

Please do not let me feel so small, i am posting/visiting at SPN for myself only, so that I am able to learn/imbibe Gurbani and its meaning. Yours way of explaining Gurbani is marvellous, as if you are sailing at the same plane/level when it recited. I am grateful to you and to SPN also. It is great website for learning sikhism and sikhphilosophy. There are so many scholars at SPN from whom I learn a lot. Thanks to all of them too.

Regards
Bhul chuk lai muaafi ji
Gurvinder Kaur

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
What I found is that in the beej of Kabir ji "drums" have a unique meaning. Kabir ji says that drums are heard in the celestial space where we can become lost in the divine play (sometimes he calls it sport) once we have overcome duality. In that celestial space is heard the unstruck muisc, the naad, and the beat of the drum is mixed with the sound of the harp. Each of these instruments requires that a surface be struck for the sound to be heard, then the vibration is caught by the ear.
Page 13, Line 3
ਅਨਹਤਾ ਸਬਦ ਵਾਜੰਤ ਭੇਰੀ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
अनहता सबद वाजंत भेरी ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Anhaṯā sabaḏ vājanṯ bẖerī. ||1|| rahā▫o.
The Unstruck Sound-current of the Shabad is the vibration of the temple drums. ||1||Pause||
Guru Nanak Dev - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: