• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Spiritual God's Will, My Will

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
For Epictetus the key to inner well-being is to align what life give us with what we want or, in his language, align our will with the will of the gods or fate or what life gives us:​

But I have never been hindered in my will, nor compelled when I did not will. And how is this possible? I have placed my movements toward action in obedience to God [fate]. Is it His will that I shall have fever? It is my will also. Is it His will that I should move toward anything? It is my will also. Is it His will that I should obtain anything? It is my wish also. Does He not will? I do not wish. Is it His will that I be put to the rack? It is my will then to die; it is my will then to be put to the rack. Who, then, is still able to hinder me contrary to my own judgement, or to compel me? No more than he can hinder or compel Zeus. (The Discourses, Book IV, Chapter 1)​

Epictetus: What Can We Control?

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
For Epictetus the key to inner well-being is to align what life give us with what we want or, in his language, align our will with the will of the gods or fate or what life gives us:​

But I have never been hindered in my will, nor compelled when I did not will. And how is this possible? I have placed my movements toward action in obedience to God [fate]. Is it His will that I shall have fever? It is my will also. Is it His will that I should move toward anything? It is my will also. Is it His will that I should obtain anything? It is my wish also. Does He not will? I do not wish. Is it His will that I be put to the rack? It is my will then to die; it is my will then to be put to the rack. Who, then, is still able to hinder me contrary to my own judgement, or to compel me? No more than he can hinder or compel Zeus. (The Discourses, Book IV, Chapter 1)​

Epictetus: What Can We Control?
Good morning Ishna - hope all is well at your end !

Re Epictetus - is it possible to drag your blog under freewill with which preliminaries have been cited and since the make n the model of the argument is the one and the same, consolidating under one roof would make more sense ?

You're call !

Much obliged

Last edited:

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
I'm not sure what you mean, Original. Can you explain in simple terms for me, please?

Also, it is all "under one roof"; my blog.

Are you asking if we can merge threads within my blog that have to do with free will? I'm not sure Epictetus is talking about free will.

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM