• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

God Is Not Great

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Taken elsewhere from internet...

Atheism – Christopher Hitchens in Seattle – “God is not great”

Does Sikhism have a similar concept to Christianity's original sin, whereby you have sin when you are born?

Does Sikhism mention what happens to atheists?

Why does Sikhism encourage neutrality with other religions when some religions that are clearly false, and made up by men during simpler times? For example, the Bible is a book full of impossible stories.

bawaj

SPNer
Oct 22, 2006
all religions can be argued to be false as they are all made up by man. There are spiritual and philosophical ideas attached with the mythologies in religion that cannot be explained to people without any background in such form of reasoning. The Bible and stories within it have deeper philosophical roots. Like in Sikhism if one attempts to think of Jesus as a form of human consciousness then we can be able to understand morality better. The point is that with any religion there is a leap of faith that we must take. What we accept in religion is not based on observational facts but theoretical constructs of what things ought to be. All religions, as such can be said to be true or false. If we assume that all religions are true then there is no point of contention but if assume some are true or truer than others then there is more room for friction. As such, I suppose it makes sense to argue that all religions are true and as long as one is true within their own faith without interfereing in someone else's then there is no argument or possibilities of conflict.

Archived_Member5

(previously jeetijohal, account deactivated at her
Mar 13, 2006
London, UK
The original sin was an act of dual betrayal incorporating all seven sins combined in the one act against God and to the detrimental downfall of Man by woman. A child born in wedlock of two loving married parents has minimal or no sin as it is a designed creation born of purity or spirit, sanctity of matrimony and fidelity of two devoted spouses creating an offering to a future generation.

A child in a sum product of its parentage, within its subconscious lies the combined thoughts, acts and memory banks of its inherited mindset. It is therefore as sinful or as pious as the measure of love, virtue, Gurmat and honour its parent cells have and indoctrinated by example into the child. The Sikh stance utilises daily recitation Mool Mantra to erase any negative inherent cells within the spirit and mind and make as near perfect the thinking, resultant conduct and innate ability to function as an autonomous individual within a cohesive family network and social structure, contributing in part to the collective conscience with as much Universal Consciousness as its mind encompasses and attains.

Atheists are symptomatic of the times, products of an angry dysfunctional, fragmented society, where women compete and battle with men than support and love, classes, races, generations and religions battle devoid of an abridging understanding or respect of one another. These angry souls, unable for a number of reasons, to make protest against the protected rulers and governors of society, and without any understanding of the philosophical values, scientific stratagems and spirituality required to comprehend religion. Religion is made to carry blame for the incompetence of democratically elected leaders nominated by a ridiculously over powerful and irresponsible mayhem causing media, having no purpose other than to incite controversy and entertain purely for profit.

Atheist are heathens, a group of reactionaries of the political media subtle stance against the formidable power the church holds over the people, toward securing that power for themselves. Sikhism does not recognise state and religion as two separate body’s but as One Inseparable Rule of Law. For this reason many Sikhs battle to this day in Sant Jarnail Singh Bindranwalle’s martyred cause to free the Punjab from the shackles of a state itself bowed and controlled by a vociferous media. Sikhism does not recognise atheism. One is either orthodox practising, truth seeking or a person of integrity and good standing according due regard to the scripture regardless of whether one pays homage on a regular basis or not.

Sikhism although singing laud of The Lord of Bani manifest in mortal form, does not actualise a God, rather recognises God as The Absolute and Supreme Truth manifest in human form. An individual ordinate or spiritually awakened understands within the bounds of their expanded or limited consciousness. It falls upon man to prove his awareness or lack thereof The Lord than to The Supreme Lord being demanded to disclose himself at the whim and will of mortal. Supreme Consciousness and Spirituality are the end blessing and spiritual liberation of the path of Sikhism, not gratuities given on insistence. I find atheism entirely illogical and completely false.

One knows nothing if One knows not The Self and Ones maker, earthly and Universal.

Sikhs are a strong race and are therefore afforded the luxury of tolerance of all faiths without compromise or fear of infallibility of their own. It is also amongst the youngest of religions and hence accords due respect to all faiths gone before and existing. Hatred is an evil, maligns thought and distorts mans agenda onto a selfish and ill considered path. The truly wise cannot hate because they hold an understanding of the view of the other. They will enlighten and place upon the higher path of light and amenability or avoid contact with volitient individuals unable to discuss with courtesy or understanding.

God is Great. God does not exercise his omnipotence, omniscience and omnipresent. Presumed a Creator whose creation outgrew him as weeds to tender flowers, created a matrix of illusion and web of Maya and deceit wherein it constrains both God and his Creation. God, Father and Parents are as competent, strong and respect worthy as we the offspring allow. Sikhism instils family values from birth, customary practises that reinforce family ties, community and society at large. There are many Gods to be found in the Punjab, one merely needs eye to see and understand our Fathers and Elders are as authoritative and powerful within the home and externally as their spouse and its nurtured offspring allow...

With Christianity a firm stipulation is orated of salvation of soul only through Jesus Christ, usually gained by conversion to the religion. These words are taken out of context. At the time of Jesus many false prophets and idols south to tap the market trend towards Saviours and mentors. Jesus warned against succumbing to such profiteers for the peoples need for peace, stability and a Godhead type figure to lead them to light. The Christ could not elaborate upon this plea as then and now these marketers had become extremely cunning in subverting and falsifying the Christ words culminating in his rejection by state, monarch, people and church and his condemnation by the same to death. The word of Jesus was proven right as the mob influenced by the evil forces he was fully aware of eventually damned him to a brutal death. These sound tenets are taken out of context by zealots but were horribly true in context. It is difficult then to give consideration to a religion with a perfect God in mortal form almost boasting of the denigration of his life to a mission of sin cleansing and brutal sacrificial death for ‘the peoples sins’ no mention is made of any condemnation of his deniers and repudiators or those who witnessed his carrying the cross through the very throng he came into this world to save. The Lord is a loving and forgiving Lord. Ultimately what is Spirit aspires towards the Higher Dimension of Universal consciousness and that which is matter reverts to the dust from where it is born. The confusion Hitchin’s and atheist are a battle of wills between a repudiation of any God through anger of deemed unjust fate and irrational words they either do not understand or are actuated by an innate hypocrisy in religion itself. ‘’Data kare Dataara’’ is one I contest, I do not think The WaheGuru punishes innocent through a whim or inexplicable wantonness. Yet we witness horrendous suffering by good obedient souls, exacerbated by the boastfulness of the almost inhumane of grace enjoyed by the same said God. Hence Sikhism submits to Absolutism in Truth made pure by a purified mind as fortress of faith in an illogical and at times malevolent world.

As an intellectual Hitchin’s requires reasoning that many religious converts and so called followers lack of proselytising. It is unfortunate that these types of noise makers tend to do more harm than any good to the cause of religion, Sikhism, Christianity or whatever religion they have attached themselves to. Anger makes the best and brilliant minds a tad irrational exacerbated by the incessant drum beating of minions besieging a sanctum and institution once the sanctuary and bastion of the intellectual, philosophers, visionaries and Wise fraternity. No I am not colour blind, {what is an albino, a negative, if the world is a rainbow, what are swine and negros?.} Then and now it would appear The Christ is but a front shield to inspire faith and allegiance to religiosity, when gained is dispensed with for the festering hell to profit and assume power through. This web of illusory deception where sinners sell souls for a pittance whilst Saints are sacrificed for an insidiously utilitarian cause *******ed against both Father and his Humanity. A sign of the times perhaps...

It is admitted and much evidence to conclude the reigning and presiding ''god', indeed God Is Not Great...

Last edited:

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
who made man? any clues? what does bible,quran,gita and guru granth sahib say about origin of man?

God in Sikhism is described as:

Akaal - Timeless
Moorat -Space

Literally beyond space and time.

Something beyond space and time created Man according to Sikhism. Now scientists may call that the Big Bang (or whatever the latest theory is). Sikhi describes this concept of "Beyond Space and Time" as God.

I still till this day, find this description of God and "Beyond Space and Time" as fascinating.

God in Sikhism is described as:

Akaal - Timeless
Moorat -Space

Literally beyond space and time.

Something beyond space and time created Man according to Sikhism. Now scientists may call that the Big Bang (or whatever the latest theory is). Sikhi describes this concept of "Beyond Space and Time" as God.

I still till this day, find this description of God and "Beyond Space and Time" as fascinating.

in all truth, all the big metaphysical questions seem to interest me less and less as i get older (not that this should happen to anyone)...and i dont think it is cynicism or development of intellectual laziness but i am losing curiosity...just the development of something I cannot explain…I call it the “even if I knew and believed, who cares” syndrome…or maybe I’m retreating to “reductionist” thought (finding greater pleasures in solving and believing in the solutions to the smaller and simpler questions directly pertaining to sustenance of mind and body)

a sort of shift to pragmatic concerns where my imagination is exercised and purged for results, rather than more holistic concerns of society which intrigued me during my youth.

CHEERS
sinister

i read his book a while back ... and it does tear into judeo-christian-islamic philosophy and their institutions, even though the writings themselves are knowledgeable and well written they didn't really interest me then and even less so, now...his column's however in vanity fair and other news papers are always a treat to read (he is always entertaining and funny when he tells his truths the way he sees them...an excellent political critic (in my book) who is never afraid to take myths and misinformation head on and call it what it is regardless of offending sentiments...one thing is for sure hes the type of rationalist you always want on your side).

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
sinister ji

If it is not all that interesting any more -- then why the bold font in Size 5? Why shout in digital format? :welcome::welcome::welcome:

sinister ji

If it is not all that interesting any more -- then why the bold font in Size 5? Why shout in digital format? :welcome::welcome::welcome:

i didn't say it was NOT interesting, just that it was less interesting than before..relative comparison.

why did i type in Size 5 bold...cause im on a crusade in trying to prevent asthenopia. In fact you and your Cilliary muscles should thank me.

aside: i always thought shouting was done IN ALL CAPSLOCK FORMAT

oh well.. :cool: :woohoo:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Jeetijohal, your most recent post has been moved out of the forum. Please contain your negativity. You have been warned. Thank you, Narayanjot Kaur

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM