• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh News Girls In Jeans No-go At Gurdwaras

Aug 13, 2004
US
Firstly,girls should be taught to wear 'conservative' clothes that are appropriate for any religious setting.
Secondly, if Salwar-Kameez is forced upon women, then men should also wear only Kurta-pazama/chola to Gurdwara. Pant-shirt is western dress that men got from Britishers.

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Somehow I feel uncomfortable with such kind of things, which are kind of orders!

Any forceful thing is going to lose the essence of an event, and is bound to become more of a ritual, and in fact repelling to people.

Following a code of ethics is more important, which includes paying respect to Guru Sahib by bowing down, with a covered head, and sitting apporpriately in sangat. Listening Bani and Kirtan instead of gossips etc. and so on.

Jul 13, 2004
UK
Prabjyot Kaur said:
Firstly,girls should be taught to wear 'conservative' clothes that are appropriate for any religious setting.
Secondly, if Salwar-Kameez is forced upon women, then men should also wear only Kurta-pazama/chola to Gurdwara. Pant-shirt is western dress that men got from Britishers.
Sikhism is universal so type of dress does not matter as long as the amount of skin and figure revealed is minimal.
I once saw a girl with a skirt on which was well above her knees in the Gurdwara... to me that is not ok, but if the skirt was halfway between the knees and feet then I think that would have been modest enough. I guess this may begin debates about what is modest and what is not.

FROM THE ARTICLE said:
Girls wearing jeans do not carry a chunni to cover their heads, which is the proper way to sit in a gurdwara. They cannot even bend down in front of the holy book properly and also have problems sitting down,” the spokesperson added.
Bit of a sweeping generalisation! So, every girl that has ever entered a Gurdwara came in with her head uncovered?
Personally I prefer tracksuit bottoms, but anyway, if they are going to impose a no jeans rule then the same rule must apply to me. But I think it it really stupid.

Amarpal

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 11, 2004
India
Dear Khalsa Ji,

We men wear cloths that in some measure reflects our profession. Women wear cloths that reflect their inner feeling. The inner feelings are controlled by Hormones. Even girls themselves have no control on their release. It happens with age. Any attempt to force the individual in the other direction will create distortion in the evolving personality. These girls are our future mothers, they should have a normal mental health.

Our people are talking about jeans, there were many divine individual who did not wear cloths at all. Erotism is not in body, it is in mind, which leads to sin. That is why Guru Sahib has empasised again and again in Sri Guru Granth Sahib that we should control our mind.

I think it is unwise to impose restriction like the so called dress code for the girls coming to Gurdwaras. All this because the men are not able to control their own thought process. Correction is needed in bringing up the boys.

The girls may comply with the orders if issued and implemented, but many will stop coming to Gurdwaras on one pretext or other. Comming to Gurdwara is not an absolute must, it is needed only for Satsang and synergy of Khalsa panth. The real looser will be the Panth. Tomorrow these leaders will say that people are not coming to Gurdwara, Sikhi ia deminishing.

One one cannot cleanse the society through office orders. Our leaders should first work to improve the sex ratio among sikhs. That is shame for me, not our girls wearing jeans.

Nature has made girls beautiful, I hold the opinion, that as a result, they have it as their birth right to remain beautiful. We cannot take away from them that 'The Sat' has given them.

With love and respect for all.

Amarpal

Jul 30, 2004
world
Ek Oankar Wahiguru Ji Ki Fateh

Das support sister Prabhjot Kaur Ji for that.

Sikh and Sikhni both are saint soldier.Salawar Kameez clad person can not be a good fighter in modern warfare. Dress code for women as per Sikhism is that they must have a scaf or chunni and if possible The Dastar(not mandatory ).

So if in Gurudwara,weather they wear jeans or skirts,they must have chunni as we have turban.A non Sikh Patit needs a Rumal to cover head when he enters Gurudwara but one with Turban does not.So if a lady is Sikh,She must have something to cover head by herself and must not take it from Gurudwara.

If muslim lady can wear jeans in Iran(under Burqa or Jilbaab) then what is wrong with Sikhs.

Jun 14, 2004
London
I believe girls should only wear salwaar -kameez in gurdwares...but not necessary imposed.

outside gurdwara you wear western clothes anyway - freely. so i dont see why a female would complain not wearing salwaar kameez in gurdwaras. if anything else, as sikhs, and speaking from a male point of vew, female girls in desi clothes look honourable. :thumbup:

GushK

SPNer
Oct 5, 2004
London
There are also many girls who come to the gurdwara in the morning before going to school/college/work and even in the evening on the way back home.

It's these people who will suffer...those who are trying to bring God into their daily life, while trying to fit into these western lives... They're the ones who'll lose out.

What an amazing cost and loss just to see everybody dressed the same in the gurdwara...not sure it''s worth it at all

TeraRoop11

SPNer
Jan 8, 2005
Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji ki Fateh!

Wow, it seems like the SGPC really hit home with this one . . . . . . . . . .
I believe that saying that jeans are too westernized should not be a valid reason for not allowing girls/women to wear them in the Guruduaras. I think the issue about the clothes being too revealing is the only reason. I know I've felt it too; I've had to go to the Guruduara a fair few times right after school, and I felt really uncomfortable about it. I don't get why those girls were crying about not being able to wear jeans. I mean, yeah, they have the right to wear jeans, but are they so attached to their Western clothes that they cannot even leave them to go to the Guruduara every once in awhile? Instead of blaming boys who say this and that, they could try to not give those boys a reason to harrass them, right? They'll get dealt with, too. And as for the people who can only come to the Guruduara right before school/college/work, and other stuff, that's okay, they can still wear their jeans and stuff, just cover up. They could just keep like a coat or a shawl in their car, or something. But the rule makes sense. They should wear a suit, or a salvaar kameez, or whatever you want to call it.

Jul 13, 2004
UK
I feel the last three posts are nothing to do with Sikhism and kind of insulting to the teachings of the Gurus. Salwaar Kameez pleases God? What kind of rubbish is this? You are a better Sikh if you wear Shalwar Kameez to Gurdwara? What on earth? Do you go to the Gurdwara for a cultural/fashion parade or to learn about AKAL PURKH from SATGURU?
Sikhism is univeral. Any modest clothes along with suitable headcovering maybe worn in the Gurdwara.
They will suffer for following western culture and bringing WAHEGURU into their lives? These last three posts really make me laugh. Being a westerner I would never convert to Sikhism, not due to Sikhism but the attitude of many Sikhs who see it as an Indian cultural thing rather than a univeral religion.
Also, why are people only bothered about women wearing jeans? If Sikhism must be insulted by forcing women to wear shalwar khameez, at least make the mean wear a kurta too, don't insult Sikhism even more by making it look sexist as well.

TeraRoop11

SPNer
Jan 8, 2005
hello all.

caramelchocolate ji, it seems to me that if they have a problem with wearing a suit, then they shouldn't have to. but if they have a chance to change into a suit or whatever, then they should. there's not even anything wrong with western clothes, it's just the type of clothes that most girls tend to wear that has made the SGPC want to make this a rule.

rooh

SPNer
Jul 14, 2005
london
THE REAL ISSUE IS NOT JEANS - JUST CONVENIENT TO BLAME WOMEN

This issue is not really about the jeans. It is more that most males cannot control their downward thoughts. If you are pure of thought, which is what the Bani impresses, then you somebody could have little clothes or no clothes, but you still would not be effected. Am all for modesty of dress. Have noticed even when women wear salwar Kamiz, men will stare and leer at them. Why always shift the blame on women. It is not women or what they wear that is at fault, but the gazes of sikh males. Why evade the real issues and point fingers, is that what the Bani teaches? It teaches acceptance and tolerane and not to judge another, no matter what.

Do gurus and saints refuse to accept people, because they don't conform to a certain dress code. They just want your love for the divine.

May 16, 2005
Vernon, BC Canada
Neutral Singh said:
... One of the reasons the Singhbhum committee had cited for banning women in jeans from entering gurdwaras in Jamshedpur was to make Sikh girls aware of their ...

victorykhalsa2.png

:hmm:

I understand the reasoning, not so much the solution. While it is slightly rude for ANY one to be wearing questionable clothing, why just women? Why not men? In western culture, jeans are "sexy" for both men and women, so actually, men should be banned from wearing them as well.

Perhaps instead of very spefic orders, a set of guidlines and recommendations would be better. When we start dealing out very detailed rules, we will promote ritualism.

-Bndy Bains

sardaul

SPNer
Jan 12, 2006
Neutral Singh said:
http://www.telegraphindia.com/1050110/asp/nation/story_4234692.asp
Girls in jeans no-go at gurdwaras
Calcutta Telegraph, India - 8 hours ago

... One of the reasons the Singhbhum committee had cited for banning women in jeans from entering gurdwaras in Jamshedpur was to make Sikh girls aware of their ...

Sat Sri Akal to everybody.
Personally, There should be no ban to girls in jeans going to gurdwaras.We should encourage young generation to come to gurdwaras.Teach them in temple the ways of sikhism so they learn and follow the right path.If you ban them, sikhism is on the loss.It's my view may be wrong.
Sardaul

Mar 4, 2006
Oklahoma, USA
WGJKK!
WGJKF!
I haven't posted in a while, but this one caught my attention. Personally, I wear Salwar-Kameez, but I do not think that jeans are bad, as long as they cover the subject and not showing underwear. It is important to be modest at a religious event, whether one is male or female!

Krazy Kaur

SPNer
Jun 6, 2005
Middle Earth
It starts off with the fact they should not be wearing jeans... then it'll lead to even pettier things such as the length of the kameez?!

I go to the gudwara every morning before college/work and i wear my jeans... as long as ur not wearing a mini skirt and strappy top i think it shouldnt be an issue! it wouldnt be practical for me to wear a salwar suit.. so would the ban mean that i cant go every morning as usual and benefit from the sangat?

I agree with what Caramel says too...the same should apply to the guys!

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM