Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Friendship Day

Discussion in 'Business, Lifestyle & Leisure' started by singhbj, Aug 3, 2008.

1. singhbj

Expand Collapse

Nov 4, 2007

Considering the valuable role friends play in our life it was deemed to fit to have a day dedicated to friends and friendship. The United States Congress, in 1935, proclaimed first Sunday of August as the National Friendship Day. Since then, celebration of National Friendship Day became an annual event. The noble idea of honoring the beautiful relationship of friendship caught on with the people and soon Friendship Day became a hugely popular festival.

Following the popularity and success of Friendship Day in US, several other countries adopted the tradition of dedicating a day to friends. Today, Friendship Day is enthusiastically celebrated by several countries across the world including India.

In 1997, the United Nations named Winnie - the Pooh as the world's Ambassador of Friendship.

Priceless Friendship

Everyone wants to be rich. I confess that I do, too. But is it such a bad thing to be poor?

Money will give us many things, but it can not give us everything. It can not guarantee us good health or happiness. And it can never promise us love. If we are sick, unhappy and unloved, what good are riches?

A simple meal shared with a good friend will always taste better than an expensive one from the finest of restaurants- if eaten alone.

Comforting words in times of uncertainy and sorrow can not be charged off to any bank account.

Source: Poems | AASRA MAGAZINE:
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Friendship Between Genders... Important Question Questions and Answers Dec 20, 2012
    Islam What else is there if not friendship? Interfaith Dialogues Jul 1, 2012
    Islam Muslim Friendship "Dilemma" Interfaith Dialogues May 16, 2008
    Friendship Gurmat Vichaar Jan 17, 2008
    Sikh News Pak journo defends friendship with former Punjab CM (IBN via Yahoo! India News) Breaking News Dec 26, 2007

3. Sinister

Expand Collapse
    SPNer Supporter

May 4, 2006

what is this world coming to?

if someone felt obliged to "honour" me annually, on a particular day, because i was their friend, i would seriously have to inflict some physical harm upon them.

probably another crazy marketing ploy by hallmark cards (annual profits 2007: $4.4 Billion dollars) ...keep expanding empty celebrations...many shareholders depend upon it :p

just when you think this world cant get any more formal and fake....it does (bringing formality to a relationship that is suppose to be casual and comfortable)

#2 Sinister, Aug 4, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  4. pk70

Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Supporter

Feb 25, 2008
    probably another crazy marketing ploy by hallmark cards (annual profits 2007: $4.4 Billion dollars) ...keep expanding empty celebrations...many shareholders depend upon it :p
    I thought I was alone, obviously I am not:happy:
  5. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004

Please observe forum rule - NO TRASH TALK. You know which sentence I am referring to. Thank you.
  6. Huck_Finn

Expand Collapse
    (previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t

Jun 7, 2006
    they never stop surprising you...don't they..

last week we had,

Appreciate your Boss day !!!

As if i had not been doing for last 365 days...:rolleyes:

what sadistic pleasure !!!