• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Free Will?

Feb 25, 2010
I share your perspective Lee :) I see all religions, even the "godless" ones leading to giving up free will, even if the term "free will" doesn't arise in their scripture. I do differ on one point, my perspective is that once His will is accepted, then it became clear there was no free will before, rather desire and repulsion which lead "me" before.

Blessings, Ambers

I will have to offer friendly disagreement. Free will is not only a given it is a necessity, In fact you surrender willingly or its not a true surrender. Besides you need to act with free will even to harmonize your actions to what you perceive to be God's will. It seems to me, unless I am misunderstanding you, that you are mixing the desires and aversions that influence free will in those who , in Xian terms , are not 'born again', and in Z terms in those that have not chosen New Life (Navjote.)

Once you have become a ham kar or fellow worker , according to Z or a disciple according to J then your conscience is awakened in Xianity. To Zarathushtrians Your hearing of the Voice of God, Seraosha, is turned on. And you immediately know when you are doing wrong and are convicted and feel remorse.

However, it must be said that unless you strive to remain in God's will constantly and successfully, your desires will overcome your surrendered will and you will fall-Sin, in Xianity or Err in Zism. My experience has been that as long as you remain in the Presence of and Communion with the Wondrous Teacher you CANNOT sin or err. I mean your heart melts, you are in bliss and cannot but be benevolent and take all things in stride

What is truly new and interesting for me is that in these few days that I have been getting familiar with Sikhism and doing some reading and studying I am getting REAL POWERFUL EXPERIENCES OF THE PRESENCE OF GOD. I MEAN OVERPOWERING ,STRONGER THAN ANY OTHER I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED. AND BELIEVE YOU ME, I HAVE BEEN IN VERY EXTREME SPIRITUAL PLACES.

The thing is, Amber, that the more I examine these experiences, the more exited and enthusuastic I get. You see whenever I had strong spiritual experiences , (almost always involving, the Presence of God) I have done so when in praising and worshiping in a congregational setting. But with the the GGS I am having far stronger and deeper experiences and I am merely READING about your theology. If past experience foretells the strength of the experience that is coming if I ever get involved in the equivalent of a Sikh praise or revival meeting, I am going to pass out from bliss, I tell you.

Man, you must think I am nuts! O well, there is nothing I can do about that!!

A ton of blessings to you!
Curious

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2010
''I find I am no less than a part of the sum from one angle and the sum itself from the other extreme. It is liberating yet unknown in its depth.''

Hi Ambers

Hmm, you do know that whole is greater than the sum of its parts? That your hand depends on you and not you on your hand and that you are not your hand, correct? I believe that it is quite obvious that God has infused PART of his substance into what He has created and in that sense everything is God in that its, made of God.

I am just not so sure that we ARE god, but I do not see us creating a cosmos any time soon that is the same as. Not only is the whole greater than the sum of its parts, BUT God has gone to an incredible trouble not to make two things , exactly alike . Neither men nor animals, not even drops of water are the same. They may look alike but they are individuals. I think that this type of individuality tells me that God is all about creating and preserving variety and individuality

I do believe THAT WE DO go to GOD , IN FACT WE DO MERGE WITH GOD TO A TO A POINT BUT QUALITATIVELY WE WILL NEVER BE GOD. nEVER WE WILL HAVE hIS POWER , AND WISDOM. WE WILL NEVER CREATE A COSMOS. THE WHOLE, TRULY IS, IS GREATER THAN THE SUM OF ITS PARTS

Blessongs
Curious

Last edited:

Embers

SPNer
Aug 10, 2009
EU
''I find I am no less than a part of the sum from one angle and the sum itself from the other extreme. It is liberating yet unknown in its depth.''

Hi Ambers

Hmm, you do know that whole is greater than the sum of its parts? That your hand depends on you and not you on your hand and that you are not your hand, correct? I believe that it is quite obvious that God has infused PART of his substance into what He has created and in that sense everything is God in that its, made of God.

I am just not so sure that we ARE god, but I do not see us creating a cosmos any time soon that is the same as. Not only is the whole greater than the sum of its parts, BUT God has gone to an incredible trouble not to make two things , exactly alike . Neither men nor animals, not even drops of water are the same. They may look alike but they are individuals. I think that this type of individuality tells me that God is all about creating and preserving variety and individuality

I do believe THAT WE DO go to GOD , IN FACT WE DO MERGE WITH GOD TO A TO A POINT BUT QUALITATIVELY WE WILL NEVER BE GOD. nEVER WE WILL HAVE hIS POWER , AND WISDOM. WE WILL NEVER CREATE A COSMOS. THE WHOLE, TRULY IS, IS GREATER THAN THE SUM OF ITS PARTS

Blessongs
Curious
Hello Curious
Thanks for the interesting replies :) This is a topic I have had to consider.

The limitaiton or division between us and God arises with identification with the body and mind. We take ourselves to be the body and the mind without question. It is essentially materialism (maya) which stops us from seeing the message of the Gurus. This leads to us missing the nondual Being.

Here are a few lines from the SGGS, although I am posting in the interfaith as a nondualist:

Man ṯan ṯerā ṯū ḏẖaṇī garab nivār same▫o. ||3||
Mind and body are Yours; You are my Master. Please rid me of my pride, and let me merge with You. ||3||

Jẖūṯẖ samagrī man vasī pārbarahm na jānā. ||2||
The false material world abides in his mind, and he does not understand the Supreme Lord God. ||2||

Parpancẖ cẖūkai sacẖ samā▫e. ||1||
Then, the illusion of the material world is shattered, and one merges in Truth. ||1||

Sakṯī kinai na pā▫i▫o fir janam bināsā.
Through the material universe of Shakti, no one has ever found the Lord; they continue to be born and die in reincarnation.

It is because we consider ourselves to be seperate individuals, by bone, blood and mind, that the belief that we have freewill arises. It arises as we believe we are the actor, responsible for both the action and the results.

There is more than one way to arrive at God, but whilst we take ourselves to be the body-mind material organism then we will face the riddle of freewill and with it the desire and repulsion that comes with being the body-mind. With this limitation too comes the limit of power which you speak of above. God has the ability to limit Himself it seems, as He experiences His creation (the sensual world) through His creation (mankind). He is both limited and limitless and we can know Him as both.

Hope this is ueful :)

Oct 11, 2006
Patiala,Punjab.
:confused:Dear Anoop ji,what does the soul of a one year old child who dies of cancer, learn from his life on earth.
Anoop Veerji, you are also a great believer in the Cycle of Birth and Death.Could you pls enlighten me why the population on earth increasing so fast.:unsure:

Feb 25, 2010
Hello Curious
Thanks for the interesting replies :) This is a topic I have had to consider.

The limitaiton or division between us and God arises with identification with the body and mind. We take ourselves to be the body and the mind without question. It is essentially materialism (maya) which stops us from seeing the message of the Gurus. This leads to us missing the nondual Being.

Here are a few lines from the SGGS, although I am posting in the interfaith as a nondualist:

Man ṯan ṯerā ṯū ḏẖaṇī garab nivār same▫o. ||3||
Mind and body are Yours; You are my Master. Please rid me of my pride, and let me merge with You. ||3||

Jẖūṯẖ samagrī man vasī pārbarahm na jānā. ||2||
The false material world abides in his mind, and he does not understand the Supreme Lord God. ||2||

Parpancẖ cẖūkai sacẖ samā▫e. ||1||
Then, the illusion of the material world is shattered, and one merges in Truth. ||1||

Sakṯī kinai na pā▫i▫o fir janam bināsā.
Through the material universe of Shakti, no one has ever found the Lord; they continue to be born and die in reincarnation.

It is because we consider ourselves to be seperate individuals, by bone, blood and mind, that the belief that we have freewill arises. It arises as we believe we are the actor, responsible for both the action and the results.

There is more than one way to arrive at God, but whilst we take ourselves to be the body-mind material organism then we will face the riddle of freewill and with it the desire and repulsion that comes with being the body-mind. With this limitation too comes the limit of power which you speak of above. God has the ability to limit Himself it seems, as He experiences His creation (the sensual world) through His creation (mankind). He is both limited and limitless and we can know Him as both.

Hope this is ueful :)

Hi Amber

I think we have semantical, interpretative and extentional differences, in our outlooks and interpretations. So lets take then one by one and point for point.

1. You say above:
'' The limitaiton or division between us and God arises with identification with the body and mind. ''.

I do not believe for one moment, that any idea of true physical separation could apply to God and man. Not only is god, in essence, not physical but He (or S-He since after all God must surely transcend sex) indwells or is immanent Creeation, at least partially since He also Transcends it) Thus there cannot be true separation from God. This is a Semantic difference.

However while it is true that we identify ourselves as different from all others, i.e. as individuals , basically because we identify ourselves as a body an a mind, there is also no question that, PHYSICALLY.(whether physicality is also a perception or not is immaterial for practical purposes) we ARE individuals. Thus we must assume that PHYSICALLY we have been created as individuals. Please understand that I am not endorsing a dualism of realities, a physical and a non'material one, but I AM saying that the one reality has different dimensions or planes. (Please refer to String Theory and the curvature of the Cosmos) In any case assuming that we are created as individuals, physically speaking, we will be individuals, as long as, we are physical. This is, I perceive , and Interpretative difference in our positions?

But there is another interpretative difference, that I perceive in our positions. To simplify, I believe, and understand that Sikhi agrees, the Creator to be both Transcendent and Immanent. Therefore as Immanent He is in us and we are Him in as Non-Physical Essences , that is in spirit. BUT as Transcended He is OTHER from His creation, outside of it, so to speak.

So when the GGS says , to quote you quoting the Guru, that:

'' Then, the illusion of the material world is shattered, and one merges in Truth. ''

The Guru is saying that (according to my conclusion) we are both merging into God (Truth) and into the truth that He is both the SAME and DIFFERENT than us. So to what extent can we then truly merge with Him? The answer, again in my opinion, involves what I call the extentional difference in our positions. We merge TOTALLY with God but since He is Greater and other as well as the same is Spirit with us we are still individuals vi a vis HIM. He therefore DOES NOT , cannot really, merge totally with us. In other words to the EXTENT (from where I get Extentional) that HE is in us and we are in Him we are merged To the extent that HE is OTHER than us, we remain individuals vis a vis Him. That is why I say that we will never be totally Him. Specifically, His CREATIVE qualities and powers are His PRIOR TO creation and are thus Transcendent and thus Other than and from Creation

Free Will is not a riddle, it is the Gift of God to man so that he can choose on his own the Wahe Guru and merge with Him spirit to spirit and achieve salvation and liberation. That man, ignorant and blinded by illusion and the illusionary world, does not know this and does not know the purpose and use for his free will , is something different from denying the Free Will, that is both a God given Gift of Grace and the Tool for man to willingly Choose to surrender to God. The problem is IGNORANCE and ILLUSION not Free Will

Finally, I would like to emphasize that even though the Wahe Guru is Transcendent and Immanent He is not dual as a BEING. Uniformity is not Oneness, variety and nuances in the divine person do not change His nature, He has been, is and for ever will be ONE! His character has different dimensions and qualities , yet He is One and Forever the same! He is the Blessed Blesser, the Desired of All Hearts and Souls for All the Ages!

Be Blessed!
Curious

Mar 4, 2010
Hi...well, I landed on this site when I was researching some stuff on Islam, which I find pretty fascinating.

However, am surprised that this religion of yours...Sikhi, i guess is what it's called (from what I could infer in this thread), is very intresting. I'm wondering why there's so less awareness about it in my part of the world. If your religion is an example of the way you guys conducted yourself on this thread, I'm pretty impressed. You seem so open to even those thoughts that arnt in congruence with your philosophy. That's great, I must say.

I read this thread on Free Will and it always was the topic I had some queries on...but the way u guys discussed it, I'm really thankful (though, the last couple of posts went dancing above my head :) ).

The only reason I registered was to be able to express my gratitude towards you folks for explaining it so beautifully. I'm sorry this post of mine doesnt contribute to take the discussion forward :{-:)...but I had to let you guys you know that you are doing an awesome job and the philosophy you follow must be equally great.

Keep it up!

Sophia.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Sophia_Loren ji

:welcome:

Yes this thread to date has been exemplary of the way that a serious discussion regarding an important and core belief in philosophy and religion can be discussed without enmity and with openness.

The Sikh religion is anchored in the Mool Mantar sung by our first Guru Nanak Dev ji - who said that "God" who is Truth is the Doer of Everything is without hatred or enmity. We have that as a standard for our conduct in life. This is a God who dwells within and is not separate from His Creation. When we realize this then enmity is not longer relevant. It is a hard path.

So I am very happy that strains of this theme have made their way into this thread. That you have remarked on it.

Please do come back soon and participate. Glad that you found us in your search.

P/S There is a small community of Sikhs in Guatemala. However Sikhism is not broadly represented throughout Central and South American. They are they, gurdwaras can be found throughout both regions, but the region is vast and geographically challenging, making it hard to make contact. I am unable to locate a Gurdwara in Guatemala. However,

For Mexico this link S I K H C E N T E R

For Ecuador this link Kalwant's Homepage

For Panama also this link
http://www.gurdwarapanama.com

For Uruquay this contact information

• Sikh Dharma Bhaibandi- Mision Sikh Hispanoamericana
Tahim 964 - Montevideo - (005982)3551299 - movil 094597223

Feb 25, 2010
Sophia_Loren ji

:welcome:

Yes this thread to date has been exemplary of the way that a serious discussion regarding an important and core belief in philosophy and religion can be discussed without enmity and with openness.

The Sikh religion is anchored in the Mool Mantar sung by our first Guru Nanak Dev ji - who said that "God" who is Truth is the Doer of Everything is without hatred or enmity. We have that as a standard for our conduct in life. This is a God who dwells within and is not separate from His Creation. When we realize this then enmity is not longer relevant. It is a hard path.

So I am very happy that strains of this theme have made their way into this thread. That you have remarked on it.

Please do come back soon and participate. Glad that you found us in your search.

P/S There is a small community of Sikhs in Guatemala. However Sikhism is not broadly represented throughout Central and South American. They are they, gurdwaras can be found throughout both regions, but the region is vast and geographically challenging, making it hard to make contact. I am unable to locate a Gurdwara in Guatemala. However,

For Mexico this link S I K H C E N T E R

For Ecuador this link Kalwant's Homepage

For Panama also this link
http://www.gurdwarapanama.com

For Uruquay this contact information

• Sikh Dharma Bhaibandi- Mision Sikh Hispanoamericana
Tahim 964 - Montevideo - (005982)3551299 - movil 094597223

Hi Narayanjot

Thanks for the links!! I have to point out though , that the SikhCenter.mexico.org in its web site . Does not once mention Sikh religion per se except it is pushing Kundalini Yoga which I do not know if that is considered as part of Sikhi. It does not mention SSGS , or the any of the Gurus ONCE . The Panama web site is down. Hmm! Maybe I could start a Spanish Sikh web site? ... Thinking about it:)

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Hi Narayanjot

Thanks for the links!! I have to point out though , that the SikhCenter.mexico.org in its web site . Does not once mention Sikh religion per se except it is pushing Kundalini Yoga which I do not know if that is considered as part of Sikhi. It does not mention SSGS , or the any of the Gurus ONCE . The Panama web site is down. Hmm! Maybe I could start a Spanish Sikh web site? ... Thinking about it:)

curious seeker ji

:happykaur: You are welcome. The SikhCenter in Mexico, if I am not mistaken, is a combined sangat and kundalini center which is sponsored by followers of Yogi Bhajan. The centers can serve multiple purposes. Now here is where it gets complicated.

Kundalini yoga is practiced, has been practiced, in India for generations. Yogi Bhajan, who was a practitioner of kundalini yoga, came to North America, starting out in Canada, and then moved on to Los Angeles, where he introduced kundalini yoga. His original intent was not to convert people to Sikhism. Long story...However, now across the US, Europe, South and Central America, there are Gurdwaras that were begun by his followers. Members of 3HO, which is primarily devoted to teaching and research along with kundalini yoga, are very careful to separate the religious experience of Sikhism from the practice of yoga. The religious branch of Yogi Bhajan's followers is called Western Dharma International. However there is a lot of over-lap of people if not of operations.

Sometimes but not always, a sangat begun by followers of Yogi Bhajan, is found at a Gurdwara named after Guru Ram Das. Sometimes not. I can check to see if there are other gurdwaras. However, the Mexico City sangat that I know of are followers of Yogi Bhajan.

A final note -- there are times when a gurdwara has a like the xxx Sikh Society. And unless you have experience with this phenomenon you might not realize that it is a gurdwara.

Let me check on sangats in Mexico and get back to you.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
According to my further searching "there is only one gurdwara in Mexico." This may be wrong, and it does not seem correct. After searching, things start to become a bit contradictory.

There is an interesting article which does in fact report that religion and yoga are a dual focus of the sangat. Part of it is posted below.

Futher searching indicated that the Shunia Yoga Life Center and the SikhCenter that I reported on above have different addresses. We can make the inference that kundalini and Yogi Bhajan are the connecting links, and that there must be more than one gurdwara/kundalini yoga center at this time. But the article explains why the yoga/Sikhi distinction is hard to draw in Mexico.

See below
==========================
SIKHS IN MEXICO
Sikhism and yoga have found a new home in Mexico, reports Ajit Jain

IF you visit the Shunia Yoga Life centre in the s{censored} Polanco district of Mexico City, don’t let the owner’s name, Jai Hari Singh, mislead you. He is Francois Valuet, a French national who has lived in Mexico City for over 30 years, converted to Sikhism and changed his name.

Why? "It (Sikhism) is a way of life. More than anything else, it teaches discipline in life. It is based on the simple belief of one god. And god is inside you," Jai Hari answers. "When there’s one god Khalsa, when you live on simple beliefs, you begin to see a lot of things that make life enjoyable."

The change in his religious and social thinking came slowly after he started learning yoga from Harbhajan Singh Khalsa — better known as Yogi Bhajan — a renowned Sikh yoga teacher who came to America in the late 1960s and who died in October 2004. Like his teachers, Jai Hari teaches Kundalini yoga. "After I started practicing Kundalini yoga, my life changed a lot. I became healthier, I was able to control my emotions and my family life became better," he says. "I became a vegetarian. I stopped drinking and smoking."

There is only one gurdwara in Mexico City. And Arjan Singh, an Indian and a granthi from India, who came to Mexico City in 1976, looks after it. He is also a Yogi Bhajan disciple, and runs a yoga centre. "There’s reference to Kundalini yoga in Gurbani," says Arjan. The students at his centre start sadhana (prayer) at four in the morning. "We teach devotion, meditation. Kundalini yoga gives you strength of mind and body. We can control strength through devotion."

He says there are about 50 yoga centres in Mexico and a number of people have converted to Sikhism. Jai Hari and Arjan are married to Mexican women, who are also Sikhs. The women wear white turbans. Arjan Singh’s 20-year-old son also practices Sikhism and after spending four years India is now back in Mexico.

More at this link

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2005/20050515/spectrum/main1.htm

Attachments

• lead9.jpg
    lead9.jpg
    30.3 KB · Reads: 174

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
We also want to keep the thread on topic. So further discussions regarding sangats in South and Central America, or Yogi Bhajan, can be dealt with if we open a new thread.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM