• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Politics France Puts Burqua Ban Into Effect

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Apr 11, 2011

France puts burqua ban into effect

Monday - Apr 11, 2011, 06:32pm (GMT+5.5)

Paris
- A law which bans all facial coverings, except motor cycle helmets or welding masks and masks used for health issues has been imposed in France with effect from Monday.

The 'burqua ban' does not mention the niqab or burqua by name, but any woman who persists in wearing a facial veil will be fined 133 pounds. Stiffer punishments may include a 30000-euro fine and one year in jail, for anyone who forces a woman to wear a veil "by threats or violence".

Mariam, a Muslim woman living in France says she wears the niqab, or full-length Islamic veil, by "personal choice" and for "religious conviction", however now she will have to leave her house unveiled and will be exposing her face in public after five years.

"I have decided to obey the law but to leave home as little as possible. I accept that the law of France is the law, even though I think that it is foolish and wrong to force me to go against my beliefs," The Independent quoted her as saying.

However, fierce protests against the ban have been raging France. On Saturday, police arrested 61 people who holding an illegal demonstration against the ban in Paris, which included 20 women wearing the burqua.

Among those protesting were Islamist extremists from Britain and Belgium, including Anjem Choudary, once a member of the banned group Islam4UK and a follower of the extremist preacher, Omar Bakri.

The law against "concealing the face in a public space", was passed by the French parliament last October. It was seen as a defence of women's rights and a re-statement of the liberal and secular traditions of French society. It was also seen as a way of countering the advance of radical and intolerant strains of Islam.

source: http://www.indiavision.com/news/article/international/176115/

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM