• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
vijaydeep singh ji

you can give any logic or reason..

but to me one thing is sure..

spirituality has nothing to do with eating or not eating meat.

its a matter of conscience.

how do you kill the chicken is irrelevant, whether you kill it or not is relevant.

Jul 30, 2004
world
Gurfateh

vijaydeep singh ji

how do you kill the chicken is irrelevant, whether you kill it or not is relevant.

Dear sir,

Das is aware that as per Sau Sakhi,by force if Sikh is compelled to eat Halal,Sikhi will not go.But nay Why kill chicken is verse unto St Kabir in Darbar Sahib.

Das eats any animal beef or pork but so far after becoing Sikh has not eaten Halal.Soory for misundrrstanding if any.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
One cannot achieve salvation just by being veggie (I believe the Guru said this) and one who is non-veg is not automatically condemned. Without Naam we are nothing. However, being Khalsa means being veggie – so it is part of that way of life.

being a khalsa has nothing to do with being veggie.go and read unbiased
history you will find plenty of evidence that puratan sikhs that were fighting with the invaders ate meat.this concept of khalsa being veggies only emerged in 20th century

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
vijaydeep singh ji

i agree with you that being a veg or non veg has nothing to do with spirituality.halal meat is something that guru gobind singh ji had prescribed not to eat.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
p.s. what is the discussion of reproduction about..? That is a scientific fact of nature that I am not going to dispute. What has that got to do with daya..?

one thing i totaly don't understand is why this concept of daya emerges for meat
eating only.the same logic is applicable for milk also as plenty of cows and buffaloes suffer in diaries for the production of milk.but 99.99% veggies take
u turn on the issue of milk.

Jul 30, 2004
world
Gurfateh

Dear Vijaydeep

Ego and Self is in everyone. However it is our self restraint and self choice that lead us to action or inaction. (one reaps what one sows)
e.g. who decides if you will do naam simran at amrit vela this morning..?

Whatever the Datar gives me I accept willingly as His Will.

Being Veggie or being Khalsa is not a symbol as you put it. It is a that way of life. One cannot achieve salvation just by being veggie (I believe the Guru said this) and one who is non-veg is not automatically condemned. Without Naam we are nothing. However, being Khalsa means being veggie – so it is part of that way of life.

You go into the technicalities of Halal sacrifice and its absurdity. Any form of unnecessary killing or eating what is produced and at the same time taking Gods name is therefore an absurdity. If Halal is animal flesh banned to Sikhs then a Sikh by his nature and by his actions automatically bans themselves from any kind of flesh.

p.s. what is the discussion of reproduction about..? That is a scientific fact of nature that I am not going to dispute. What has that got to do with daya..?

Respected sir,

Das will further try to elaborate.

Ego and self is everwhere is Akal wants it to happen and if Akal wants that is not anywhere.Akal only controls our sleep and time of waking up.When we say self chosie and self restarint that itself is endrosing of ego.as our Breaths are not ours.Akal is owner and controller of all.what thoughts are in your minds are not your but Akal let them come in there.Reply Das makes is not of das but Akal owns all.

Datar is in you and self content which yourself has put is created in us not due to our acts by by mercy akal does on us.

Then coming to Term Khalsa,Das finds it in Dasham Granth in Lakhi Jungle episode while Jagat Jot Jape nis Bassur has term Khalsa.Rest agaon it comes alot in Sarbloh Granth.As per Sant Singh Ji Maskeen,it is state of Sant.

Khalsa means who is purly one with Akal.Self mind does not exists.Rathr mind part of sprit is killed and only soul reamins in body and that is soul is Akal only.That Akal is not veggi,In form of lion that kills dear,in form of Muslim it may eat Halal.So as on way to Khalsa,when all is Akal is known then there should not be any reason that we find diffreance between existance of Akal in vegitalbes and Animals.Akal is as much in Vegitables as Akal is in Animals.

Halal is oppsed only for not seing Akal in all.Then say if this logic apply that due to Halal being Banned to Sikh make all fleshh tabbo for Sikh,then Sikhs should not marry also.As Adultray is a type of sex not allowed to us but that does not means that sex in marrided life is not allowed.Gurus never said that Halal eater will not be salvaged else Baba Farid and Bhagat Bhikhan Ji were Muslims,So was Peer Bhikhan Shah and Peer Budhu Shah.

trouble with Halal is even more to be seen due to three things being told there.Allah,Blood and Flesh,while Blood and Flesh are composed of Allah.Even in Holy Kuran Mohtaj(helpless) can eat pig,blood and animal killed without name of Allah being called.and Holy Kuran says that we are are helpless in front of Allah.so it is allowed.Then food does not effect for good doers.This also is there in Holy Kuran.

Then regarding reporduction part.Das though that there was some dispute about plants being non living.Even lants may have soul and they have life.so they do sex also and reporduce like that.We are not one to do Daya.Rather we recive Daya.We are not capable to breath even without daya/mercy of Akal .How can we be Daya wan?

Ang 4
ਤੀਰਥੁ ਤਪੁ ਦਇਆ ਦਤੁ ਦਾਨੁ
तीरथु तपु दइआ दतु दानु ॥
tirath tap da-i-aa dat daan.
Pilgrimages, austere discipline, compassion and charity -

ਜੇ ਕੋ ਪਾਵੈ ਤਿਲ ਕਾ ਮਾਨੁ
जे को पावै तिल का मानु ॥
jay ko paavai til kaa maan.
these, by themselves, bring only an iota of merit.

ਸੁਣਿਆ ਮੰਨਿਆ ਮਨਿ ਕੀਤਾ ਭਾਉ
सुणिआ मंनिआ मनि कीता भाउ ॥
suni-aa mani-aa man keetaa bhaa-o.
Listening and believing with love and humility in your mind,

ਅੰਤਰਗਤਿ ਤੀਰਥਿ ਮਲਿ ਨਾਉ
अंतरगति तीरथि मलि नाउ ॥
antargat tirath mal naa-o.
cleanse yourself with the Name, at the sacred shrine deep within.

ਸਭਿ ਗੁਣ ਤੇਰੇ ਮੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਕੋਇ
सभि गुण तेरे मै नाही कोइ ॥
sabh gun tayray mai naahee ko-ay.
All virtues are Yours, Lord, I have none at all.

ਵਿਣੁ ਗੁਣ ਕੀਤੇ ਭਗਤਿ ਹੋਇ
विणु गुण कीते भगति न होइ ॥
vin gun keetay bhagat na ho-ay.
Without virtue, there is no devotional worship.

Further at Ang 1

ਹੁਕਮੈ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਸਭੁ ਕੋ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਹੁਕਮ ਕੋਇ
हुकमै अंदरि सभु को बाहरि हुकम न कोइ ॥
hukmai andar sabh ko baahar hukam na ko-ay.
Everyone is subject to His Command; no one is beyond His Command.

ਨਾਨਕ ਹੁਕਮੈ ਜੇ ਬੁਝੈ ਹਉਮੈ ਕਹੈ ਕੋਇ ॥੨॥
नानक हुकमै जे बुझै त हउमै कहै न कोइ ॥२॥
naanak hukmai jay bujhai ta ha-umai kahai na ko-ay. ||2||
O Nanak, one who understands His Command, does not speak in ego. ||2||

Akal Bless.

Jul 30, 2004
world
Gurfateh

Das can say that only logic that Sant or Bebecki do not eat meat while doing Nam Abhyas is due to the fact that energy needs drop and food and sleep may not be needed much by body.But then eating oily or high proteen veg food is also not good.

hchohan

SPNer
Dec 6, 2006
Coventry, UK
being a khalsa has nothing to do with being veggie.go and read unbiased
history you will find plenty of evidence that puratan sikhs that were fighting with the invaders ate meat.this concept of khalsa being veggies only emerged in 20th century

who is to say it was right in those times..? were you there..?
Sikhi is to learn - have we not learnt by now what it is that God meant us to eat..?

hchohan

SPNer
Dec 6, 2006
Coventry, UK
Gurfateh

Das can say that only logic that Sant or Bebecki do not eat meat while doing Nam Abhyas is due to the fact that energy needs drop and food and sleep may not be needed much by body.But then eating oily or high proteen veg food is also not good.

your first point is absurd
your second point is a biological/chemical statement - nothing to do with Sikh's having Daya

Jul 30, 2004
world
Gurfateh

Sikhi is to learn - have we not learnt by now what it is that God meant us to eat..?
We have text and scripture to tell about history and from that we get inspiration else someone can say that why should we have Amrit or 5ks.They can question about its validity at that time and can ask us that were we there at that time?

Sikh is state which is before Khalsa and via Singh state we be Khalsa.From comman man to Sikh,then to Singh and then to Khalsa.

Jul 30, 2004
world
Gurfateh

your first point is absurd
your second point is a biological/chemical statement - nothing to do with Sikh's having Daya
Well Dear Sir,

For that yuo need to carry out Naam Abhyas.You can verfy this from any physician that when we keep an eye on breath our energy needs go dowen.Sleep is done only to save enrgy and let body rest.Likewise if exhaling is slow we then also have tabb on enrgy as oxgen comes in us and makes energy production for us with other componats like what we eat and as result energy by internal combustion in us we get enrgy and by porduct in CO2.Likewise Gurbani also talkas about fire in human body.

to much enrgy if not utilised may casue anger or lust.But same things could do wel with veg thing.

Daya etc. has nothing to to do with Sikhs who is to get our of actions and results.It could be more to do with Vaishnavs or Budhists or Jains.

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
<Sikh is state which is before Khalsa and via Singh state we be Khalsa.From comman man to Sikh,then to Singh and then to Khalsa.>

can you elaborate please?

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA

chohan ji please be careful while writing, the same logic could be used for
any 5k or 4 kurhits.were you there when guru gobind singh ji was distribuiting amrit?the do's and don't's for khalsa are prescribed by guru gobind singh ji.if a person start searching logic behind these do's and don'ts
then that person cannot become khalsa.even there is no strong logic
behind keeping hair

as far as god is concerned humans are basically ominivorus.even the closest cousin of human' chimpanzee also eat meat
as i already said that god has not created fertile land everywhere if god wanted all human beings to be vegetarian then he should have created fertile land everywhere.by saying that khalsa should be veggie you are restricting khalsa for fertlie areas of the earth

hchohan

SPNer
Dec 6, 2006
Coventry, UK
of course we learn from history - but was what happened in history always the right thing..? Who's to say..?

Comparing humans to animals is a non issue as God created humans with a certain degree of intelligence.

In terms of areas of the earth without fertile land that can be promlematic for Khalsa - however in this day and age there are many ways around that (that may even include Khalsa being restricted to certain lands)
That is still no justification for being non-veg

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
one thing i totaly don't understand is why this concept of daya emerges for meat
eating only.the same logic is applicable for milk also as plenty of cows and buffaloes suffer in diaries for the production of milk.but 99.99% veggies take
u turn on the issue of milk.

chohan ji you have not replied to my above post.tell me why the concept of daya vanishes when it comes to milk.we basically just steal milk from cows.
and they just suffer in the diaries.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
how does milking a cow extinguish its life..?

so only extinguishing life is wrong.giving suffering to animals is not wrong
what a logic?

btw for growing vegetarian food pesticides are used from which millions
of harmful as well as harmless insects are killed.so how we are not taking life when we eat vegetarian food

hchohan

SPNer
Dec 6, 2006
Coventry, UK
welcome to the new world of organic farming (non organic is only a recent phenomena)
there are laws around the treatment of farm animals now in this country. the buffalos on our farm back in India are all treated well also.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
However, being Khalsa means being veggie – so it is part of that way of life.

No it doesn't.

History and actual practice proves otherwise.

This belief is something that crept in at the end of the 19th Century from many Hindu converts to Sikhism. This is a hangover of Hindu Vaishnavism.

Also many Sant and Dera organisations who have had links to Hindu Vaishnavism have crept this into Sikhism.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: